Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Watching: Daily Pictures Vol. 443

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 89, Views: 1,226
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9223819

I was noticing the last one getting a bit full, and since Resin asked if someone wants to start one, here it is! But if you have not yet looked at it, go back to:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1270980/

There's some great photos and discussion. :)

Here's one my ten-year old took. I was thrown off since a vehicle was parked there. Normally, there's no car, but we had company. I did think it matched the bird, a juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9223852

Thanks, Resin, for your confirmation of the Ring-Billed Gull. Also good idea about starting a new thread.

Thanks for the new thread, Chillybean! A cute picture to start things off. Great job by your ten-year old.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

July 30, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9223878

Sweet photo of that darling bird Chilly!
Thanks for starting the new thread!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9223997

Blue Jay in our River Birch (appears to be studying his toes)

Downy Woodpecker female

Hummer (a little too far away)

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9224026

Thank you for the comments about the picture. My son has been enjoying his new camera.

I smiled at your toe-inspecting Blue Jay. That was funny. I look forward to our Downy's return when it cools off again. They only come rarely now.

Here is a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk. It looks like he was crying over a stubbed toe or that one misplaced feather.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9224381

Chillybean, thanks for starting the new thread. Tell your son to "Keep up the good work!" AND I loved the hawk, I only see one once in a blue moon.

nutsaboutnature. I like your three pics, even the hummer, but you really nailed that Downy Wp - great pic.

Hack

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9224755

Chilly, thanks for the new start. Your son did a wonderful job of capturing the cute woodpecker. Cute one of the hawk-I thought it looked like he was yawning.

Nutsaboutnature, great shots of your jay, woodie and hummer too.

Here's a juvenile brewer's blackbird, a pair of house finches, a couple of black-headed grosbeaks, and a pesty red-tailed hawk that prowls our area a few times a day.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9224979

Hack...Thanks for the compliments!

Duc...Gorgeous photos, as always! I love them all. Thanks, also for the nice comments.

These two are just silhouettes, but I kind of liked them.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9225072

nutsaboutnature wrote:These two are just silhouettes, but I kind of liked them.

Amazing what can be done with photoshop . . . House Finches, female and male respectively

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9225300

Actually Resin, it's amazing what YOU can do with photoshop. I've seen some incredible things you've done with other peoples pics, like removing fog...Wow!

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9225383

duc, to tell the truth, it is really difficult for me to say which of your pics I like the best. But, I'd have to say I marginally like the two HOFINS the best. But all of the pics are just super!

I agree, nuts, Resin can really work photoshop.

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9225404

Well, here are the first pics I've taken with the new 7D. I've got to re-think my ISO settings - I'm used tothe 40D.

#1 - A Brown-headed nuthatch eating peanuts.

#2 - A female Cardinal just before she flew down to a feeder.

#3 - Downjy Wp eating some suet.

#4 - A male House Finch and a Brown-headed nuthatch sharing a feeder.

#5 - A female HOFIN eating.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9225735

Nice shots all. Interesting doo on that Cardinal Hack. LOL

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9225995

Yep, Granny, that one wisp in front stands out.

Hack.

DMersh
Perth
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9226109

Not a birdwatcher myself but I saw a young Osprey at the visitor centre, Loch of Lowes near Dunkeld, Scotland and managed to take a few pictures through one of the spotting scopes in the hide

Thumbnail by DMersh   Thumbnail by DMersh

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9226259

Nice pics, Hack...you've been busy! So how do you like the new camera, other than needing to get used to different settings? I like the wispy hairdo...kind of the "bed-head" look.

Hi DMersh! Welcome to the Bird Watching forum and thanks for the super pics of the Osprey. Even if you're not normally a bird watcher, you're always welcome here anytime you feel like stopping by. There are lots of friendly folks that visit here who will tell you the same thing.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9226296

Big ditto to what nutsaboutnature said, DMerch, you're always welcome here. I like your shot of the osprey looking back over its shoulder, thanks for sharing.

Yep, nuts, the 7D is more different from the 40D than I thought, but I'm getting there. Today, I put the new 70-300 L lens on it and shot the following two pics "free hand" - no tripod - that IS (image stabilizing) feature of the lens is NICE. The feeders are about 90 ft away from me. I tweaked the pics with Photoshop Elements.

#1 is a male Cardinal

#2 is a Carolina Chickadee.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

August 1, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9226309

Welcome DMersh! Love that Osprey!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9226405

DMersh wrote:Not a birdwatcher myself but I saw a young Osprey at the visitor centre, Loch of Lowes near Dunkeld, Scotland and managed to take a few pictures through one of the spotting scopes in the hide

Welcome to the crowd!

That's the same Osprey nest we've been following in this thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1084943/

Resin
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 1, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9226551

Great start to the new thread, Chilly. That's a cute woodpecker.

Hack,I'm glad you're enjoying the 7D and the new lens.

Lovely shots everyone. I've been going to the local pool early morning and each day there are Pacific Black Ducks in or around the pools. This was this morning - the mist is real. It had just stopped raining and the pool is warmed. Kookaburras, Australian Magpies, Red Wattlebirds, Willie Wagtails and Magpie Larks also seem to enjoy the facility. As I was leaving, another duck was asleep in the diving pool.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9226563

Beautiful pool Margaret. Nice shots of these ducks. Just making themselves right at home. LOL
gazergirl
Mandeville, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9226705

Thanks chillybean for the new thread. Your pic of the immature RHWP made me think of the new nest that was drilled by my Redhead this spring, in a large pine by my house. Unfortunately, the pine has to be felled because the circumfrance of the tree was cut some years ago and is a hazard. I was concerned that I had not seen any immature RHWPs, and worried that there may be young in the nest. I downloaded my pictures tonight and found a pic from earlier this year of an immature RHWP. I had forgotten! I also had a new visitor this year, a Loggerhead Shrike. A first for me.

Thumbnail by gazergirl   Thumbnail by gazergirl

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #9226707

Margaret, do the ducks hang around when people are using the pool?

Congrats on your Lifer gazergirl.

Hack
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 1, 2012
11:25 PM

Post #9226718

They sure do, Hack. I was just a couple of feet away from this one this morning. When it realised there was a human attached to the head swimming towards it, it hissed at me. Too funny.
DMersh
Perth
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2012
1:59 AM

Post #9226742

Thanks everyone, glad you liked the osprey pics, I'll add them to the osprey thread also.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9226862

I sure wish I could see more Osprey, DMerch, so thank you for the pictures, and welcome. :)

Hack, I never have seen a Cardinal on a feeder perch before and that really amazes me with your Woodpecker, gazegirl. And congrats on the life bird, we've only seen the Northern Shrikes here. :) I like your birds, Margaret. It is interesting to see how the wild birds take to human structures.

This was taken last month, but finally got it cropped for web use. It amazes me how often the Dickcissels will let you get fairly close. They are quiet for the most part now. I am guessing with the warm spring we had many birds are done a little earlier. ??

Thumbnail by Chillybean

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9227196

Like the pics, Hack! My birds love those mesh feeders, too. I bet you'll really enjoy the image stabilization.

Resin, that's really cool that there's a whole thread dedicated to that Osprey nest!

Margaret...it's nice of the ducks and other birds to share THEIR pool with the humans!!

Super pics, gazergirl! Congrats on the Loggerhead Shrike! I've never seen one in person.

You're Very Welcome, DMersh!

Chillybean - we've never had Dickcissels around here (at least I've never seen any). That's Special!

Some pics from around our yard:

1) Female Rose-breasted Grosbeak
2) Male White-breasted Nuthatch
3) Female White-breasted Nuthatch
4) Female Ruby-throated Hummer

3 more in next post

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9227198

The next 3 are all of the same female Downy Woodpecker eating suet from one of our upside-down feeders that my husband built several years ago.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9227240

Nice shots y'all...Wish I had more time to go out and look but lots going on here! These are a few taken over the last couple of weeks.

Had a Northern Flicker enjoying the bird bath with some Robins.

We have had lots of Robins this year!!

The Blue Bird always comes on really hot day!

Couple of young Robins.

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9227573

Aw, like the little Downys and Nuthatches, Nutsaboutnature.

Nanny, you do have lots of Robins. We have a few still, but we had lots up until a few weeks ago and though they bathed, it was only one at a time in the "tub". I need a bigger bird bath.

Here is our sweet juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker after inspecting our clothesline pole for bugs.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9227589

nutsaboutnature - Nice pics. I looked and can't figure it out - how do you tell a male White-breasted Nuthatch from a female White-breasted Nuthatch? Looks like your hubby did a good job with the up-side-side suet feeder.

hey nanny, the bath on the ground. Is that the top of a regular pedistal type, or something made for the ground. Ilike to try it, but am afraid there are too many neighborhood cats around here. Lovely blue bird, too.

Chillybean, that sure is a sweet looking juvy R-h. WP.

Hack

This message was edited Aug 2, 2012 8:02 PM
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9228075

Nanny, love that birdbath! Apparently all the birds do, too.

Thanks Chillybean! Cute shot of the juvie WP! Are Mom and Dad still watching over it?

Thanks, Hack...My husband is very creative. Those feeders are pretty old so he'll probably make new ones eventually. Now that most of the Blackbirds and Starlings are gone, I'll most likely put out at least one of the regular suet cages. They're easier for some of the other birds.

Hack, I could be wrong on the female Nuthatch, but it looked lighter to me. The males have darker heads and necks than the females. I'm sure if Resin stops by he'll be able to tell us for sure.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9228400

Yep, probably right on the nuthatches; black capped in males, dark grey capped in females. From what I've read, there is apparently a little overlap so it's difficult to be 100% certain, but it likely is male on the left and female on the right, above.

Resin
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9228516

Thanks Much, Resin!!

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9228811

Thanks nutsaboutnature and Resin. I wonder: Does that work for the Brown-headed ones too?

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9228907

Have some pics to share.

#1 - I think this may be an older juvy male Cardinal.

#2 - Here's a pretty female Cardinal

#3 - Lots of Carolina Chickadees here.

#4 - The female Downy Wp returned. As you can see, I leave the suet in the pack. That female Wp, pecked and pecked and then shifted around to the front. That's why I leave the pack on - to make the Wp present itself better.

#5 - Caught two Tufted titmice feeding on different feeders - at the same time. They really like the whole peanuts

Hack

This message was edited Aug 3, 2012 11:46 PM

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9229071

Nutsaboutnature, We see the Red-headedparents now and again, but not as much, but the little guy still hangs out a lot. I am begging him to stay for the winter.

Hack, two Titmice!! Cool. The only titmouse we have at our place is a drawing one of the children made for me. We have to go to the Des Moines area to see those birds.

1. Two Dickcissels across the road from our house.
2. Dad Baltimore and one of his young. We were thrilled to see this from our front window. Made me glad I didn't pull those weeds, whatever they were. The two found good things to eat.
3. And these two were our last Barn Swallows to leave the nest. Ah, I still miss those "guys". But when I was outside this week, I wonder if some of that family remembered us. Two were perched on our house near the porch and just chattered away. (Oh I love that chatter!!) They had no apparent fear of me. I said, "Hello" to them and they didn't fly off like other birds I greet. :)

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9229212

Hey Chillybean, loved the two Orioles. Tell me about the nest in the third pic. Is it something you put up? How does it attach to the wall? Is that some kind of wooden tray or shelf under it?

Hack
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9229529

Hack, the pictures I see in the field guides of the Brown-headed Nuthatch seem to only show one bird (not both a male and female) so I'm inclined to think they look the same.

Cute pics! I like all of them. To me the female Cardinals look like they're wearing brightly-colored lipstick...very fitting for a lovely girl. Looks like those Titmice love the peanuts.

Chillybean, in our area the Red-heads only stick around for the Summer, but just a little further South they stay all year so I guess it's possible some might stay if they can find food. In the Winter, our three varieties are constantly at the suet and sunflower seed feeders. As the weather gets cooler I put up more suet feeders so they don't have to wait in line.

Very cute photos! Many years ago when I was doing a little small-scale rehab on a voluntary basis I raised a baby Cliff Swallow and Bullocks Oriole together...two years in a row...what a coincidence! It was amazing...they became like siblings and were inseparable.

Hack, Swallows build nests out of mud and they attach them to walls, under bridges, etc.

Whoa... I have to get off the computer quick!! We're about to have a storm and are having gray-outs. So I don't have time to check for typos!!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9229609

Hello Hack,

Long story made short: The Barn Swallows built the mud nest on porch, so we had a front seat view, well at day 12 after hatching, two babies fell out of the nest. Don't laugh... we put pillows under the nest to soften falls. We've heard when baby Barn Swallows startle they can fall out and with our sporadic "traffic" roaring by, we wanted to have something for them.

Well, day 13 one fell out too many times to count, so my husband built this platform. One of the pictures in this album shows the whole thing. It was done so if there was another accident, there'd be a landing close to the nest and we were so hoping the parents would still feed whichever one was in the platform. Which they did.
[HYPERLINK@picasaweb.google.com]

Actually, we got to thinking about the falls. The day we put this up we started getting little mites in the house and after a bit of research and talking to a "studier of bugs" (Cannot remember their official name) I am wondering if the poor swallow/s were trying to get away from the mites, or a bite in the wrong spot made them jump. We ended up losing one swallow baby in spite of our efforts. But four others left the nest and are fine as far as we know.

Nutsaboutnature, That is wonderful that you volunteered your time like that. I read a story about a woman who rehabbed songbirds and raptors. If she ever had to go anywhere, the baby birds went with her to be fed every twenty minutes. She had children who helped a lot with that, too. I think that would be a good experience for all of us, but the government paper work sounds maddening.

Looking at the range map, we are just on the border of the Red-headed's year-round range, but I talked to someone further northwest than I and he said depending on the year, even he can get them to stay the winter.

Did your storm bring rain? We had a doozy come through this morning and I was thrilled with every drop of rain it brought. It rained about an hour or so. I went to look at the rain gauge and little hands made off with it again... We bought another and have a new rule about touching the rain gauge. "Don't do it!" I think they used it when we let them play in the sprinkler the other day.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9229682

Chillybean, yes, baby birds went with me everywhere! Older birds recovering from injuries could eat on their own. I only dealt with a few mammals, mostly birds, due to my space limitations.

It's great that most of the baby Barn Swallows made it. I remember you told the story of the one that kept falling out of the nest in another thread...poor little thing, but you guys sure tried everything you could to keep it safe.

We did get some rain and based on an empty flower pot tray that is now full, I would say it was probably about a half-inch. I guess it really stormed southwest of us (hail, too). We didn't get as much as I hoped for, but enough to help since we're on water restrictions. Our rainbarrel is now overflowing, but it was nearly full before the rain...I've been using it sparingly. Had I known with certainty we'd get rain, I would have used more of it up.
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9230053

Just stopping by to say, "Hello". I haven't been taking very many photos recently. Too busy and too hot. Bird activity is at a minimum. I did get my Nikon D800 but haven't spent a lot of time getting familiar with it. I immediately ran into a problem in that my Photoshop Elements 8 and Lightroom 3 software would not open a RAW image. I thought a RAW image was a RAW image but such is not the case. So, I need to buy upgraded versions.

I did play around a little with Hummingbirds. These photos were taken at 1/8000's of a second with a 500mm lens. Lighting was not too good for that speed so I had to lighten the photos quite a bit. I was told that to get good action photos of Hummingbirds one needs additional lighting like that provided with a "Better Beamer". A colorful male or two would also help the image but it seems most of them are young and/or females.

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

DMersh
Perth
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9230066

Great pics of the hummingbird. I'd guess the files were downsized a bit for uploading, if taken with a D800!
No more osprey pictures yet but if I get any I'll post them.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9230096

Hi Linth,

Wow, great hummer shots. Even got a shot of the ants. LOL
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9230129

Love the Hummer shots Linth!

This is about the time the males begin to migrate south so you might not see too many other than those migrating down from Canada and immature males. We're still seeing some local males, but we haven't had as many Hummers this year, male or female. The weather has been so unusually hot...maybe some of them just continued north? It's possible we will all start seeing more Hummers as the weather cools a bit. One can only hope...

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9230343

Sorry, hard to get on with the girls here all the time!! lol

Yes, the bath is the top of a pedestal type. I just do that because I had one before and the raccoons broke it by pulling it over. I found someplace that had extra tops and I got it for $20.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9230508

Linth, those hummer pics are SUPER! Congrats on the new camera, if those hummer shots are any indication, then I'd say the D800 does a fantastic job.

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9230745

Haid the camera out this weekend.

1. Cardinal in flight, but my shutter speed wasn't set fast enough to really freeze the action.

2, Male Ruby-throated hummer

3. Female Ruby-throated hummer

4. I moved a few of my feeders to another place in my yard - moved the feeders to make room for a new one. A chickadee has already found them.

5. Here's the new feeder. It holds a "ton" of Black Oil Sunflower seed. This Brown-headed Nuthatch is the first bird I've seen on it.

Hack

This message was edited Aug 6, 2012 1:03 PM

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9230831

Nice photos Hack. By the way, I'm not worried about the D800 ... I'm worried about me !

DMersh, the original photo is 7360 x 4912. The uploaded files are approximately 1000 x 600.

Our Osprey will soon be heading toward South America so I thought I might as well photograph a few before they leave. When we are babysitting our grandchildren at their house, I am in walking distance to an Osprey nest. Here are a few photos from Friday. I have to work somewhat on the ISO. I shot these using shutter priority at 1/2500 sec. and an ISO of 1800 but that combination gave me an aperture reading of f/22. I should have been using a much lower ISO.

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9230962

Oh, man, linth - that last photo defies description - WOW!

Hack
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9231374

Hack - Love the pics...especially the two Hummer shots! Is your new feeder one of those that collapses flat when you're not using it? Nice. I guess you got your order. How do you like the other items?

Chillybean - Have you gotten your order yet from FF?

Linth - Those Osprey pics are absolutely AMAZING!!

I saw a baby Goldfinch this morning just outside my bedroom window. It was eating seed from some Monarda flowers that I had planned to deadhead (guess I'll leave them). I most often see the Goldfinches on my Echinacea (coneflowers), one of their favorites. I leave lots of dried flowers of all types at the end of the season for the birds, but while plants are still blooming I try to deadhead so they'll make more blooms. It's a tradeoff that I try to balance. Anyway, I wasn't able to get a good shot through both the window and the screen.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9231400

Nutsaboutnature,
Yes! I did. It arrived Saturday. The nesting material looks the same as what you posted. Our rain barrels are filled up again. We were empty. My husband is looking to get some that are on clearance at Menards- something to put by the backdoor where we don't have any yet.
I planted coneflowers, cardinal flowers and black-eyed susans. The coneflowers didn't make it, but the others are doing well. Are there any birds who eat black-eyed susans?

Linth, your photos are amazing!

Hack, do you feed Jays? Have you ever seen them go to a feeder like your new one? Our woodpeckers and nuthatch will go to the mesh type feeders, but the Jays (and Thrashers) only go to the platform. It's been nuts (haha) with the grackles and starlings showing up again, but I don't know what to do to keep them away.

This is an older picture taken by my little photographer. It's not great, but he's always thought this one hysterical. The Dove comes in for a landing and the Goldfinch pops off.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9231477

Chillybean - Goldfinches will eat the seed from Black-eyed Susans. We have some right next to Coneflowers. They're particularly fond of the Coneflowers, but will eat the BE Susans as well and, in fact, I just saw a female eating the seeds a little while ago.

We have lots of Blue Jays. They spend much of the time eating whole corn and sunflower seeds off the ground, but they do come to most types of our feeders, including the mesh ones. They also come to drink from the birdbaths.

Our Red-winged and other Blackbirds and Starlings are mostly gone, now except for an occasional visit. They'll start coming back again as it gets closer to Autumn. During Spring and Summer we always have one feeder with Safflower seed which the Blackbirds don't eat (the shell is too hard). It's always either a tray-type feeder or a tube or mesh-type with a tray so the Cardinals and Doves can use it as well as the smaller birds.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9231679

nutsaboutnature. Yes on both questions. The new feeder does in fact fold up flat, I guess about an inch thick. My little feeders keep me going - they run out pretty fast. The new feeder should last for a while, before I have to refill it. AND I did get the bedding material, w/ hanger cage, I just haven't out it out yet. Did you say it could be put out now, or should I wait for spring.

Chillybean, except the platform feeder, it's rare that I see a Jay on my other types of feeders. When I put out a few shelled peanuts (or even unshelled peanuts) on the platform feeder a jay will land for a moment, get it's morsel and take off for a tree branch. Most of the time my jays fly from tree to ground and back up to the tree. It is not unusual to see them getting the spillage that is on the ground under my feeders. Now, the Brown Thrashers, hop around on the ground, kicking up leaves left and right. They usually stay near the shrubbery's edge, but now and then one will venture out into the yard, and get some spillage, too.

Hack
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9231838

Hack - Yes, definitely put at least a little out now. Goldfinches are late nesters...late Summer to early Autumn (they're nesting now). I see the Goldfinches using the nesting fluff every day...it's so cute to watch the way they pull it out and fly off with a beak-full!

If it were me, I'd put some of it in a suet cage near where they eat and save the large holder till next Spring so it's nice and fresh when there are lots of birds using it. Then next year you can determine if you want to leave the large holder up longer.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9232248

Thanks, nutsaboutnature, I'll take your advice - makes sense to me.

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9232373

1- I caught this Mockingbird as it was about to fly away. Never did get another shot of it.

2 and 3 are of a Downy Wp. I leave the suet in the container and then put it in the holder. I do that so the wp will not stay on the backside, where I can't see it. In #2 this poor wp, pecked, and pecked and pecked at the plastic case before (#3) finally moving around to the front.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9232879

Well, it's rainy and overcast here in Dixie. Took a few pics, thought I post 'em.

1- Here's a female House Finch, looks like she's been in a wind storm.

2 and 3- I changed the sugar water in the hummer feeder and I guess this male Ruby-throated Hummer enjoyed the cool drink. He stayed a lot longer than usual. Wish the sun had been out to see the red throat.

4- Now, here's something I don't see very often - Tufted Titmice on the plateform feeder. I guess they haven't found, or gotten used, to the new feeder, yet. In fact, the only bird I've seen on the new feeder, so far, is a Brown-headed Nuthatch. I'm looking forward to the return on the Goldfinches.

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9233132

Hack - Looks like you're getting more comfortable with the new camera. I like all the pics, but the two of the Hummer with his wings flapping are special!

Don't be too surprised if it takes a while for the birds to get used to the new feeder. Birds are creatures of habit and sometimes even a slight change can throw them off for a bit. The Nuthatches and Chicadees tend to be more daring (and also more tame). It's not uncommon for them to be the first birds you'll see at a new feeder.

Our Goldfinches are everywhere right now so here are a couple more pics. The 2nd one isn't very good, but I liked their poses. The Hummer female was taken through a double pane window. Unfortunately the sun kind of blew out the highlights.

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 7, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9233415

I have been lurking on and off. You have all posted some nice assortment of birds and some great tips, and great pics.

Soon we will be seeing more migrating birds, and I am looking forward for some unusual ones. Last year I got the Northern Parula Warbler and the Eastern Towhee as lifer, In spring it was the Indigo Bunting. I wonder which one I'll be getting this Fall???? :)

One I usually see mostly in Spring, brought its fledge to the yard this week. Only for one day. It's the Evening Grosbeak! It was a nice surprise. Not the best of pic, I was sitting under the tree and leaves got in the way.
Second is one of the fledge
Third is the Black-capped Chickadee
Fourth I have a lot of Purple finches
Song Sparrow for the last one.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9233562

Yep, nutsaboutnature, I kind'a figured it would take them a little while to start using the new feeder. Today, I observed a male house finch on the new feeder. Oh, and I really liked the pic of the hummer.

Hi, burn, nice pics. Seeing your shot of the purple finch made me wonder when I'll be seeing some. I need to look back in my folders and see when my last year pics were taken. Your Black-capped dees look just like my Carolina dees.

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9233707

It rained nearly all day. The birds turned out, so I got the camera, sat on the porch and enjoyed the show.

1- It may be a mean, but a male House Sparrow is a handsome bird.

2- Lots of robins were out getting worms. Here's what I think is a male.

3- I spied motion up the tree were a suet cage hung. I spotted this male Downy Woodpecker.

4- The Brown Thrash stayed long enough that I could get its picture.

5- Now, this is the first Carolina Wren I've seen this year. I heard it, first. If it's size matched it noise, it would be the size of a turkey.

Hack

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9234072

Very nice pics, Burn! That is soooo cool about the Evening Grosbeak and its fledge. It's a shame they didn't stay longer. Maybe they're starting to migrate and stopped by for some good food!

Hack - sure wish we'd get more rain. Nice pics! Your birds were probably multi-tasking...eating while they took showers...ha, ha. I'm going to have to check online to find the song of a Carolina Wren.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9234182

Here are a few pics I took this morning.

1) Another double-pane window shot of a female Hummer (I have to clean my windows!).

2) and 3) The next two were much too far away for decent shots, but since Chillybean had asked if any birds eat the seeds from Black-eyed susans, I thought I'd go ahead and post these. The Goldfinches almost blend right in with the blooms!

This message was edited Aug 8, 2012 10:48 AM

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9234462

Hack, our Robins have long not been able to get worms in our dry weather, but they're finding something.

Nutsaboutnature... You don't need to clean your windows.. I've read that's a great way to keep birds from crashing into them, since they cannot see the reflection of what's behind them. I have bird tape up, but appreciate any excuse to not clean my windows. I do need to do the yearly clean on the front window before our turn for church since there's mud and such from when the swallows nested here.

My son's photos are getting shared more than mine. He took a great one yesterday of what we believe an Eastern Phoebe on the clothes line. It looks to have a bit of facial hair. :)

Thumbnail by Chillybean

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9234932

Hi all, haven't been around much, it's so nice to know there are many pics. to enjoy in our thread here. The Duck is too funny sharing the pool there Margaret. Thank you Chillybean for the new thread, and your young son is doing such good job! Awww, I've missed my Goldfinches, please send some my way please. For this past week, I've this female Summer Tanager visiting the suet. There has been days that I didn't hang the suet quick enough. She would come by and pecked at the cage as if saying "Suet please". lol. Duc, love your many variety of birds as always. Hack and Nutaboutnature, I love your discussion and many photos.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 8, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9235096

I like seeing your Thrasher and Wren, I haven't seen either of them here. I doubt I'd get a Wren, but might someday see a Thrasher in this area.
Thanks Nuts. Love the shot of your Hummer! I think your little goldfinch might have been munching on bugs, cause the flowers are to pretty to be setting seeds right now. But they will eat the seeds of the flowers too. I've seen them on mine. I've also seen them feasting on aphids, on my Ninebark. Great little helpers!!!
Chilly what a superb shot, you son took of the Pheobe.
Congrat on the Summer Tanager, Lily.

This is from a couple of days ago.
An Handsome male Evening Grosbeak, and a juvie Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9235155

Nutsaboutnature, I loved the shot of the goldfinch on your Black-eyed Susans. I may try planting me some. Is your Black-eyed Susan plot very large? In full sunlight?

Man, Chillybean, your son is doing a great job. Do we have a budding shutter bug, lol?

Hi, Lily, that Summer Tanager is nice. Makes me wonder if I'll maybe have one visit someday. Anything special in that suet?

burn - that sure is a cute juvie Yellow-bellied Sapsucker you captured.

Hack
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9235574

Lily, that Summer Tanager is a beauty and I see you got a bonus Red-bellied Woodpecker in the pic!

Ooh, burn, that Evening Grosbeak really is a handsome guy and the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker is lovely, as well, especially on that very pretty tree branch!

You're right about the Goldfinches being helpful. We have tons of them right now and I love it. They sing constantly. This year they've also taken a liking to the seed of my Monarda so I've decided to leave the dried blooms standing. We're starting to see more Hummers and it's wonderful. We had much fewer than normal for most of the Summer.

Chillybean, I don't have much problem with birds flying into my windows. We have blinds and open the slats for a nice view, but rarely open the entire blinds. I open them entirely in the kitchen, but it's never caused any problems.

Hack - My Black-eyed Susans are in a long, narrow raised bed that my husband built along our neighbor's fence. They don't cover a very large area. They're now about 3-1/2 ft X 4-1/2 ft, but I only started with two scrawny plants about 5 years ago...they really spread. The first Spring they were planted they didn't get real big, but the next year they really "popped". I will probably divide them this year and find another place for some. I've also been told that you can grab a flower head and "crush" the seeds wherever you want to grow more. The gardener that told me this said the seeds are very "potent" and will grow quickly.

Most of my yard is various degrees of shade. I have one small bed in full-sun at the back of the house. The Black-eyed Susans have always been in a shady area with some occasional sun and it hasn't seemed to make a difference. Last year one of our neighbor's large trees split after a storm (landed on our garden shed, but that's another story). Now that bed has more sun. I picked a variety that only gets about 2 ft tall...it might be 'Goldsturm'.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9235624

Thanks, nuts, I'll check out the variety of B-e Susan.

I went to a local pond / picnic area and took some pics.

1- saw lots of female mallards.

2- got a close-up of one of them.

3- spotted this Great Blue Heron.

4- here's one weird looking duck - a Muscovy Duck (thanks, nutsaboutnature for the ID)

5- g ot a close-up of the weird looking duck.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2012 1:53 PM

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9235679

Hack, those are some great pics...nice close-ups!!
For anybody that's curious, here's my post from this morning in "Critters Big and Small Vol. 12" where I talk about the Muscovy Ducks.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9235510

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9236125

I have some more pics to share.

1- I saw this Canada Goose (and bunches of other C Geese) at the local pond / picnic area (called Cooper Creek Park). They are not tame, but they are very tolerant of humans. Because of the leash law, dogs don't harass them - little kids are another matter, lol - but the Geese can take care of themselves.

2- One of my regulars - a Cardinal, a male in this case. Still have a few juvies, with their gray beaks.

3- Another common bird as the house - a male House Finch.

4- I saw this Tufted Titmouse in the back, where I hung some new feeders.

5- I still have Ruby-throated Hummers around. This may be a juvy male, not sure - I think I see some red developing on its throat. It was raining, you can see one of the drops behind the little fellar.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9236551

Great shots, Hack!! I can see you're getting more comfortable with your new camera. The Tufted Titmouse is so fluffy & cute. Love the Hummer, but the poor little thing looks drenched!

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9236769

Yep, nutsaboutnature, I'm enjoying the 7D. And you're right, the little Hummer was soaked to the bone, but it kept returning for the sugar water.

Hack
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9236921

I'm way behind again, but sure enjoying going back through all these great pictures-great job everyone!

This mourning dove was sitting on the railing and looking at me through the window so I took its photo.
I just have a few lesser goldfinches that are checking out my garden for seeds.
My young black-headed grosbeaks are starting to get more coloring.
The anna's hummingbirds continue to love the fountains.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9236931

Great photos everyone! I do enjoy looking at them. Here is one of our baby crows with mom. There are nine crows now, and the babies are beginning to trust my voice and come to the patio to get peanuts.

Thumbnail by Countrymom

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9237169

nutsaboutnature and anyone else interested in Black-eyed Susans.

I saw some Blacked-eyed Susans in the curbside flower bed of a restaurant here in Columbus. Many of them were missing the petals, only had the black centers. The restaurant said I could cut some. I saw the following video on youtube and am going to use her method to get me some seeds out of those black centers. All I need are the centers, not the pretty flowers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtHX3BjKdow

nuts, is this what you see on your Black-eyed Susans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L6Pn1EbhsI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zr55UDjU

Hack

This message was edited Aug 10, 2012 8:49 PM
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9237370

Like your Crow photo, Countrymom! Crows are very intelligent. I've read some amazing stories of things they've done.

Hack, It's great that you were able to get some seed heads from Black-eyed Susans. Each one has tons of seeds. Thanks for sharing the link to the youtube video. That looks like an easy way to separate the seeds. The gardener that first told me about planting the seeds said all he does it crush the dried ones in his hand to release the seeds so I guess you can see which works better for you.

I loved watching the youtube videos of the Goldfinches...Thank You! Yes, they really do go at the seed heads just like that. It's great fun to watch. They particularly like coneflowers, but they'll eat the seeds from all sorts of flowers so I tend to leave a lot of them standing.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

August 10, 2012
11:55 PM

Post #9237401

Wonderful photos everyone!

Countrymom, That is so neat that the Crows are starting to trust you. They are such intelligent birds!

Duc, Excellent detail in all your shots and the Hummingbird is just adorable!

Hack, Love the great variety of birds your seeing! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Burn, So nice to see the handsome Evening Grosbeak and Sapsucker!

Chilly, Your son is doing a great job taking the bird shots!

Nuts, I love the shot of the American Goldfinch eating seeds from the black-eyed susans! They are such sweet little birds.

Lily, Good to see the birds are keeping you informed about the feeders.

Linth, As always its a joy to see the Osprey!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9237660

Sorry, duc...I was so tired when I got off the computer last night, I completely forgot to mention your last 4 pictures! The detail is astounding and I love all of them. That Black-headed Grosbeak is stunning and the little Anna's Hummer in the fountain is too cute for words!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9238216

Countrymom, that is so neat about the crows. They only fly over our place, but never land here.

Very nice pictures, Hack and duc. :) I like Canada geese and I sure have a soft spot for Mourning Doves. I don't know why it bothers me so, but it was so upsetting to have Iowa allow a dove hunting season beginning last year. According to other birders, the Mourning Dove population exploded this year. Some one said they hope the doves get themselves into the towns where hunting isn't allowed.

Here's two more by the little guy... There was a whole series, but these are my favorites. There was a picture of this Orchard Oriole standing in the water, calm. But then dipped its bill in the water and for some reason it just shot up in the air. Other pictures showed it flapping above the water, before landing off to the side.

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9238847

Cute little Oriole, Chillybean!

1) A bunch of VERY WET birds and feeders during a (very rare this Summer) heavy rain storm. Had to change all the feeders to dry ones after the rain stopped.

2) Mourning Dove taking a nap in the rain

3 & 4) Goldfinch munching on sunflower seeds

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9238967

Chillybean - The little oriole is adorable!

nutsaboutnature - Beautiful colors!

I think the mourning doves are one of my favorites too. They do seem to enjoy just hanging out and sometimes napping in my feeders. The crows come to the patio to get peanuts. They are so intelligent, and they fascinate me. You know how they like to take two or three peanuts at a time ? One of the babies has figured out to lay to peanuts side by side, put a third on top like a pyramid, and then take all three.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9240054

Countrymom, your crows are so sweet. I just read that the babies sometimes stick with the parents for up to five years. That explains why I see three of them here a lot of the time. Guess you're never too old to learn something new about the birds you love. That's funny about your crow grabbing three peanuts.

Hack, that's a great link for the black-eyed susans. I have lots of them in my garden and I've always just put the dried blooms in a paper bag, roll the top closed and shake. If anyone wanted some seeds, I'd be happy to send them, but I usually just leave them out for the birds.

Chillybean, that's sad to hear about the dove hunting season. Poor little ones are so friendly it would be more like a slaughter. Love your bathing oriole.

Nutsaboutnature, cute photos of your birds. Rain? We badly need some here but never see it.

As of last night we have two bad wildfires at the east end of our small county. It's over 100 every day here and the fires are in the mountains so please keep our firefighters in your thoughts and prayers.
Here's a northern flicker that let me walk up close, a pair of western grebes (nesting time), a great blue heron and a black phoebe.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9240160

ducbucln - Great photo of the northern flicker!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9240360

Chillybean, it just sickens me to think of all those gentle doves being hunted. I agree with duc, it really is more like a slaughter. I love all the Mourning Doves that hang around our yard. They are such gentle, nonagressive birds and are a joy to watch.

Love the pics, duc. The Great Blue Herons are so incredibly graceful. Hope they get those fires under control very quickly.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9241460

Lots of nice pics,

duc - loved the detail of your pics, esp the northern flicker.

nuts - I'd appreciate it if you'd send some of your GOFIN's my way.

Chilly - enjoyed the antics of the Orchard Oriole.

Countymon - your baby crows are fascinating.

I used my thumb to rub Black-eyed Susan seeds off. Now, they're planted in a little Greenhouse think I got from Lowe's. I also just stuck a few of the heads in the ground. Now, I wait - I hate wating.

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9241475

I have some pics to share.

1. I haven't seen any Chipping Sparrows since last year. Here, one is leaving as a female House Sparrow arrives.

2. The little Chipper returned and had the feeder to itself.

3. Many Robins were getting worms out of the wet ground.

4. This Blue Jay is here a lot, I here it all the time.

5. Here's a male Red-bellied WP enjoying eating the suet

This message was edited Aug 14, 2012 5:49 PM

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9241567

Nice pics, all!

This thread's getting long, someone want to start vol. 444?

Resin
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 14, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9241639

I have started a new thread. Here's the link. Come on over. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275556/

Wonderful shots on this thread. It looks as if you're enjoying the new camera, Hack.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2012 6:35 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America