Daily Pictures Vol. 443

(Zone 5a)

I was noticing the last one getting a bit full, and since Resin asked if someone wants to start one, here it is! But if you have not yet looked at it, go back to:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1270980/

There's some great photos and discussion. :)

Here's one my ten-year old took. I was thrown off since a vehicle was parked there. Normally, there's no car, but we had company. I did think it matched the bird, a juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Resin, for your confirmation of the Ring-Billed Gull. Also good idea about starting a new thread.

Thanks for the new thread, Chillybean! A cute picture to start things off. Great job by your ten-year old.

Marlton, NJ

Sweet photo of that darling bird Chilly!
Thanks for starting the new thread!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Blue Jay in our River Birch (appears to be studying his toes)

Downy Woodpecker female

Hummer (a little too far away)

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
(Zone 5a)

Thank you for the comments about the picture. My son has been enjoying his new camera.

I smiled at your toe-inspecting Blue Jay. That was funny. I look forward to our Downy's return when it cools off again. They only come rarely now.

Here is a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk. It looks like he was crying over a stubbed toe or that one misplaced feather.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Chillybean, thanks for starting the new thread. Tell your son to "Keep up the good work!" AND I loved the hawk, I only see one once in a blue moon.

nutsaboutnature. I like your three pics, even the hummer, but you really nailed that Downy Wp - great pic.

Hack

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Chilly, thanks for the new start. Your son did a wonderful job of capturing the cute woodpecker. Cute one of the hawk-I thought it looked like he was yawning.

Nutsaboutnature, great shots of your jay, woodie and hummer too.

Here's a juvenile brewer's blackbird, a pair of house finches, a couple of black-headed grosbeaks, and a pesty red-tailed hawk that prowls our area a few times a day.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hack...Thanks for the compliments!

Duc...Gorgeous photos, as always! I love them all. Thanks, also for the nice comments.

These two are just silhouettes, but I kind of liked them.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from nutsaboutnature :
These two are just silhouettes, but I kind of liked them.

Amazing what can be done with photoshop . . . . House Finches, female and male respectively

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin Thumbnail by Resin
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Actually Resin, it's amazing what YOU can do with photoshop. I've seen some incredible things you've done with other peoples pics, like removing fog...Wow!

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

duc, to tell the truth, it is really difficult for me to say which of your pics I like the best. But, I'd have to say I marginally like the two HOFINS the best. But all of the pics are just super!

I agree, nuts, Resin can really work photoshop.

Hack

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Well, here are the first pics I've taken with the new 7D. I've got to re-think my ISO settings - I'm used tothe 40D.

#1 - A Brown-headed nuthatch eating peanuts.

#2 - A female Cardinal just before she flew down to a feeder.

#3 - Downjy Wp eating some suet.

#4 - A male House Finch and a Brown-headed nuthatch sharing a feeder.

#5 - A female HOFIN eating.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Nice shots all. Interesting doo on that Cardinal Hack. LOL

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Yep, Granny, that one wisp in front stands out.

Hack.

Perth, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Not a birdwatcher myself but I saw a young Osprey at the visitor centre, Loch of Lowes near Dunkeld, Scotland and managed to take a few pictures through one of the spotting scopes in the hide

Thumbnail by DMersh Thumbnail by DMersh
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice pics, Hack...you've been busy! So how do you like the new camera, other than needing to get used to different settings? I like the wispy hairdo...kind of the "bed-head" look.

Hi DMersh! Welcome to the Bird Watching forum and thanks for the super pics of the Osprey. Even if you're not normally a bird watcher, you're always welcome here anytime you feel like stopping by. There are lots of friendly folks that visit here who will tell you the same thing.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Big ditto to what nutsaboutnature said, DMerch, you're always welcome here. I like your shot of the osprey looking back over its shoulder, thanks for sharing.

Yep, nuts, the 7D is more different from the 40D than I thought, but I'm getting there. Today, I put the new 70-300 L lens on it and shot the following two pics "free hand" - no tripod - that IS (image stabilizing) feature of the lens is NICE. The feeders are about 90 ft away from me. I tweaked the pics with Photoshop Elements.

#1 is a male Cardinal

#2 is a Carolina Chickadee.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster
Marlton, NJ

Welcome DMersh! Love that Osprey!

Quote from DMersh :
Not a birdwatcher myself but I saw a young Osprey at the visitor centre, Loch of Lowes near Dunkeld, Scotland and managed to take a few pictures through one of the spotting scopes in the hide

Welcome to the crowd!

That's the same Osprey nest we've been following in this thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1084943/

Resin

PERTH, Australia

Great start to the new thread, Chilly. That's a cute woodpecker.

Hack,I'm glad you're enjoying the 7D and the new lens.

Lovely shots everyone. I've been going to the local pool early morning and each day there are Pacific Black Ducks in or around the pools. This was this morning - the mist is real. It had just stopped raining and the pool is warmed. Kookaburras, Australian Magpies, Red Wattlebirds, Willie Wagtails and Magpie Larks also seem to enjoy the facility. As I was leaving, another duck was asleep in the diving pool.

Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Beautiful pool Margaret. Nice shots of these ducks. Just making themselves right at home. LOL

Mandeville, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks chillybean for the new thread. Your pic of the immature RHWP made me think of the new nest that was drilled by my Redhead this spring, in a large pine by my house. Unfortunately, the pine has to be felled because the circumfrance of the tree was cut some years ago and is a hazard. I was concerned that I had not seen any immature RHWPs, and worried that there may be young in the nest. I downloaded my pictures tonight and found a pic from earlier this year of an immature RHWP. I had forgotten! I also had a new visitor this year, a Loggerhead Shrike. A first for me.

Thumbnail by gazergirl Thumbnail by gazergirl
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Margaret, do the ducks hang around when people are using the pool?

Congrats on your Lifer gazergirl.

Hack

PERTH, Australia

They sure do, Hack. I was just a couple of feet away from this one this morning. When it realised there was a human attached to the head swimming towards it, it hissed at me. Too funny.

Perth, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone, glad you liked the osprey pics, I'll add them to the osprey thread also.

(Zone 5a)

I sure wish I could see more Osprey, DMerch, so thank you for the pictures, and welcome. :)

Hack, I never have seen a Cardinal on a feeder perch before and that really amazes me with your Woodpecker, gazegirl. And congrats on the life bird, we've only seen the Northern Shrikes here. :) I like your birds, Margaret. It is interesting to see how the wild birds take to human structures.

This was taken last month, but finally got it cropped for web use. It amazes me how often the Dickcissels will let you get fairly close. They are quiet for the most part now. I am guessing with the warm spring we had many birds are done a little earlier. ??

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Like the pics, Hack! My birds love those mesh feeders, too. I bet you'll really enjoy the image stabilization.

Resin, that's really cool that there's a whole thread dedicated to that Osprey nest!

Margaret...it's nice of the ducks and other birds to share THEIR pool with the humans!!

Super pics, gazergirl! Congrats on the Loggerhead Shrike! I've never seen one in person.

You're Very Welcome, DMersh!

Chillybean - we've never had Dickcissels around here (at least I've never seen any). That's Special!

Some pics from around our yard:

1) Female Rose-breasted Grosbeak
2) Male White-breasted Nuthatch
3) Female White-breasted Nuthatch
4) Female Ruby-throated Hummer

3 more in next post

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

The next 3 are all of the same female Downy Woodpecker eating suet from one of our upside-down feeders that my husband built several years ago.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Nice shots y'all.....Wish I had more time to go out and look but lots going on here! These are a few taken over the last couple of weeks.

Had a Northern Flicker enjoying the bird bath with some Robins.

We have had lots of Robins this year!!

The Blue Bird always comes on really hot day!

Couple of young Robins.

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56
(Zone 5a)

Aw, like the little Downys and Nuthatches, Nutsaboutnature.

Nanny, you do have lots of Robins. We have a few still, but we had lots up until a few weeks ago and though they bathed, it was only one at a time in the "tub". I need a bigger bird bath.

Here is our sweet juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker after inspecting our clothesline pole for bugs.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

nutsaboutnature - Nice pics. I looked and can't figure it out - how do you tell a male White-breasted Nuthatch from a female White-breasted Nuthatch? Looks like your hubby did a good job with the up-side-side suet feeder.

hey nanny, the bath on the ground. Is that the top of a regular pedistal type, or something made for the ground. Ilike to try it, but am afraid there are too many neighborhood cats around here. Lovely blue bird, too.

Chillybean, that sure is a sweet looking juvy R-h. WP.

Hack

This message was edited Aug 2, 2012 8:02 PM

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Nanny, love that birdbath! Apparently all the birds do, too.

Thanks Chillybean! Cute shot of the juvie WP! Are Mom and Dad still watching over it?

Thanks, Hack...My husband is very creative. Those feeders are pretty old so he'll probably make new ones eventually. Now that most of the Blackbirds and Starlings are gone, I'll most likely put out at least one of the regular suet cages. They're easier for some of the other birds.

Hack, I could be wrong on the female Nuthatch, but it looked lighter to me. The males have darker heads and necks than the females. I'm sure if Resin stops by he'll be able to tell us for sure.

Yep, probably right on the nuthatches; black capped in males, dark grey capped in females. From what I've read, there is apparently a little overlap so it's difficult to be 100% certain, but it likely is male on the left and female on the right, above.

Resin

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Much, Resin!!

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks nutsaboutnature and Resin. I wonder: Does that work for the Brown-headed ones too?

Hack

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Have some pics to share.

#1 - I think this may be an older juvy male Cardinal.

#2 - Here's a pretty female Cardinal

#3 - Lots of Carolina Chickadees here.

#4 - The female Downy Wp returned. As you can see, I leave the suet in the pack. That female Wp, pecked and pecked and then shifted around to the front. That's why I leave the pack on - to make the Wp present itself better.

#5 - Caught two Tufted titmice feeding on different feeders - at the same time. They really like the whole peanuts

Hack

This message was edited Aug 3, 2012 11:46 PM

Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster Thumbnail by TheHackster
(Zone 5a)

Nutsaboutnature, We see the Red-headedparents now and again, but not as much, but the little guy still hangs out a lot. I am begging him to stay for the winter.

Hack, two Titmice!! Cool. The only titmouse we have at our place is a drawing one of the children made for me. We have to go to the Des Moines area to see those birds.

1. Two Dickcissels across the road from our house.
2. Dad Baltimore and one of his young. We were thrilled to see this from our front window. Made me glad I didn't pull those weeds, whatever they were. The two found good things to eat.
3. And these two were our last Barn Swallows to leave the nest. Ah, I still miss those "guys". But when I was outside this week, I wonder if some of that family remembered us. Two were perched on our house near the porch and just chattered away. (Oh I love that chatter!!) They had no apparent fear of me. I said, "Hello" to them and they didn't fly off like other birds I greet. :)

Thumbnail by Chillybean Thumbnail by Chillybean Thumbnail by Chillybean
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey Chillybean, loved the two Orioles. Tell me about the nest in the third pic. Is it something you put up? How does it attach to the wall? Is that some kind of wooden tray or shelf under it?

Hack

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hack, the pictures I see in the field guides of the Brown-headed Nuthatch seem to only show one bird (not both a male and female) so I'm inclined to think they look the same.

Cute pics! I like all of them. To me the female Cardinals look like they're wearing brightly-colored lipstick...very fitting for a lovely girl. Looks like those Titmice love the peanuts.

Chillybean, in our area the Red-heads only stick around for the Summer, but just a little further South they stay all year so I guess it's possible some might stay if they can find food. In the Winter, our three varieties are constantly at the suet and sunflower seed feeders. As the weather gets cooler I put up more suet feeders so they don't have to wait in line.

Very cute photos! Many years ago when I was doing a little small-scale rehab on a voluntary basis I raised a baby Cliff Swallow and Bullocks Oriole together...two years in a row...what a coincidence! It was amazing...they became like siblings and were inseparable.

Hack, Swallows build nests out of mud and they attach them to walls, under bridges, etc.

Whoa... I have to get off the computer quick!! We're about to have a storm and are having gray-outs. So I don't have time to check for typos!!

(Zone 5a)

Hello Hack,

Long story made short: The Barn Swallows built the mud nest on porch, so we had a front seat view, well at day 12 after hatching, two babies fell out of the nest. Don't laugh... we put pillows under the nest to soften falls. We've heard when baby Barn Swallows startle they can fall out and with our sporadic "traffic" roaring by, we wanted to have something for them.

Well, day 13 one fell out too many times to count, so my husband built this platform. One of the pictures in this album shows the whole thing. It was done so if there was another accident, there'd be a landing close to the nest and we were so hoping the parents would still feed whichever one was in the platform. Which they did.
https://picasaweb.google.com/108468547679021572625/BarnSwallowFamily2012

Actually, we got to thinking about the falls. The day we put this up we started getting little mites in the house and after a bit of research and talking to a "studier of bugs" (Cannot remember their official name) I am wondering if the poor swallow/s were trying to get away from the mites, or a bite in the wrong spot made them jump. We ended up losing one swallow baby in spite of our efforts. But four others left the nest and are fine as far as we know.

Nutsaboutnature, That is wonderful that you volunteered your time like that. I read a story about a woman who rehabbed songbirds and raptors. If she ever had to go anywhere, the baby birds went with her to be fed every twenty minutes. She had children who helped a lot with that, too. I think that would be a good experience for all of us, but the government paper work sounds maddening.

Looking at the range map, we are just on the border of the Red-headed's year-round range, but I talked to someone further northwest than I and he said depending on the year, even he can get them to stay the winter.

Did your storm bring rain? We had a doozy come through this morning and I was thrilled with every drop of rain it brought. It rained about an hour or so. I went to look at the rain gauge and little hands made off with it again... We bought another and have a new rule about touching the rain gauge. "Don't do it!" I think they used it when we let them play in the sprinkler the other day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.