Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: Trade of Prohibited plants?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 13, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FountainMan
McKinney, TX

July 30, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9224454

I'm new to this forum. On another (water gardening) forum we got to discussing the policy on prohibited plants like Water Hyacinths, Water Lettuce, etc. I know stores are prohibited sales but does this apply to trade? On the other forum we came to the conclusion that it's legal provided you don't release into wild. But I'm not sure what the rules on those things are here. I couldn't find anything in rules list in the trade section. I want to be safe than sorry. I don't want to get my self the trader or this community in trouble.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9224464

Welcome - glad to have you here!

I do think some trade things like water hyacinths and water lettuce in the prohibited areas and others do not. I think it comes down to whether one feels comfortable with it or not. I know some of our Florida members do have water hyacinth and seem to know where to get them.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9224556

Hi.

I'm a Florida member. I got my water hyacinths from the irrigation canal that flows 500 feet away from my house. I keep them in a plastic bucket and, as a matter of fact, they are in bloom right now. Somebody was commenting on them just yesterday. The blooms are very attractive. I have read somewhere that they had been introduced here because of that.

Water hyacinths, as most everyone knows, are notorious invasives. Mine reproduce like crazy. When I have too many, I remove them from the water's surface and let them dry out on the cement slab in full sun. They survive for about 5 to 7 days out of the water. When they are crispy dry, I burn them.

Florida is stuck with water hyacinths choking waterways, canals and every freshwater body imaginable. The damage has been done in the late 1800s. It is, for all intents and purposes, irreparable. I would not ship water hyacinths to anyone; no matter how much the other party pleaded. For me, it's a question of personal ethics; not a legal technicality. I even cut off their bloom stalks, so the plant doesn't produce seeds that could be eaten by birds and transferred back into our environment.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 31, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9224559

Sylvain,
how are you?

I buy my WH at the nursery and white pricey $4.99 per plant.

Belle
FountainMan
McKinney, TX

July 31, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9224645

Thanks. That's awesome. I've wanted Water Hyacinths and lettuce for a while. I used to have duckweed but shockingly they died. Duckweed is also a noxious plant.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9224720

I used to own a very pretty little floating plant: salvinia auriculata.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/138415/

That stuff reproduced at light speed rates. I swear it produced plantets in the ziploc bag I used to carry it home. I haven't seen any in a long while. I got it at auction from an aquarium society where I was a member. All in all, I think it cost me $1. When it came home, I had maybe a cupfull - no more than that. I dropped that into the pond and within a month, it had spread to cover the whole surface. How's that for an aggressive invasive. It wasn't on any list of noxious and/or invasive plants in Canada and I had no idea how prolific it was. Left to its own devices, it looked like a green carpet was floating at the surface of the water. I used to "harvest" it with a rake and throw it into the compost bin. Thankfully, our Canadian winter took care of that problem for me.

Sylvain.
FountainMan
McKinney, TX

July 31, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9224791

Salvinia is also on the list of Texas prohibited plants.

Among my list of floating plants
Water Hyacinth
Water Lettuce
Duckweed
Azolla
Frogbit
Floating sensitive plant.

I know alot but Duckweed and Azolla make good fish food. Water Hyacinth and lettuce are good filters. Frogbit is good for my smaller ponds to shallow for water lilier. Frogbit looks like miniature water lilies.

Sensitive plants are just fun to play with.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9224928

Water hyacinths are beautiful when blooming. I had them in my contained koi pond and loved them. Last year when we have unusually cold (and below freezing) temps, I lost all of them. Probably the reason they aren't a concern in the northern states. I'm trying to score a few more for my pond, my koi used their long roots to spawn on...but it started out so dry here, that I haven't seen them this year. The main thing is to be responsible, if you contain it...fine. If you don't want it anymore, kill it.
FountainMan
McKinney, TX

July 31, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9225134

We get pretty bad winters here in Texas. Not sure why they're prohibited. Some winters we have could whipe out a whole pond of them. Oh well. I'll hopefully have some by next year.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 2, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9227122

Fountain man,
I found two online stores that did not prohibit sales of water hyacinth to TX. In my smallish pond it does not do terribly well and I think its the temps. I have a small multihead clump right now. Cant say about how well water lettuce does as that one seems to be harder to get down here.
C
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

August 2, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9227141

If you have plants now then you do not need to buy because it will multiply.

Belle
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 2, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9227225

They don't over winter here and I don't bring them in.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9235693

I was told they won't overwinter here either. Guess I'll put a couple in a bucket and bring them inside for the winter. If not theres plenty floating around in our lakes even tho they aren't supposed to be there.
Bonnie
FountainMan
McKinney, TX

August 9, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9236150

I'm planning on a day to go to Oklahoma and buy some. Thanks guys.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America