Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

how do you make new red raspberry plants from current plant?

Edinboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Do you propagate with their fruit pods? do you take a cutting? dig it up and reroot? thanks for any help?

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

My plants sprawl and root themselves. But I have accidentally whacked them by mistake and just stuck the broken piece in the ground, and those pieces start new plants. Hope this helps :-)

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Are you talking about getting new plants from an established patch? If so, they send up shoots like suckers. They are just attached at the roots. Just dig and use your clippers to cut/detach the plant, taking part of the root. Normally about 4 or 5 inches or so.

Edinboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks, I'll dig up portions etc in September after a good rain and start a actual patch.......thanks

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

They are probably one of the easiest plants to get starts from. Good luck. One more thing, next spring after they are established, get some rabbit manure and put on them. That is one of the best fertilizers since it doesn't burn. You don't have to let it age.

I used it on my raspberries one year and then put several inches of sawdust on top of it. I had the best and most berries that year than I had ever gotten.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.