Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Bell pepper plants not looking "happy"

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 10, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kantzklan
Edinboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9224636

my bell peppers are green, small leaves, but not nearly as healthy and bushy as last year...also no blossoms and no peppers appearing?...could I have fertilized too much? any remedies?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9224673

kantzklan - when did you last fertilize them? Have you had a lot of rain recently? Did you use organic or chemical fertilizer?

If you used chemical fertilizer more than four weeks ago, and you have had lots of rain, then your peppers need fertilizer.
kantzklan
Edinboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9226935

We water and have fertilized them with 15/15/15. I thought maybe too much fertilizer...we are currently in a drought here...I did notice very small blossoms on some...maybe they'll perk up...I'll hope for the best. Thanks for getting back with me.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9227058

kantzklan - to much chemical fertilizer can burn the root hairs, and although they might get adequate water, the plants are not able to take up enough nourishment. Once the fertilizer has been washed out of the soil, they might pick up.

Try using organic fertilizers. They do not tend to burn roots (unless you use too much at once) and do not wash out in the rain so easily. Also, chemical fertilizers inhibit the activity of earthworms and micro-organisms.
kantzklan
Edinboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9228213

Wow, thanks for the info...I don't like using chemical fertilizer, but what is the organic? Manure? Now, you can answer another question...do bell pepper plants need to be touching each other to pollinate? I just heard this from a neighbor...mine do not touch each other and my neighbor's don't touch each other and neither of us have peppers...thanks again

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9228225

kantzklan - peppers are self pollinating.

I was reading recently that another DG member likes to have his peppers touching so that the leaves can better shade the fruit.

You can purchase bagged organic fertilizer. I purchase mine online, but Lowe's carries Espoma.

http://www.espoma.com/p_consumer/comp_about.html

There are many, many other companies that sell organic fertilizers.

Personally, I like "Marine Cuisine" and Territorials own brand

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/1639

Hope this helps. How are your peppers doing?
kantzklan
Edinboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9229169

So you don't think they need to be touching to pollinate? They are still the same even after a nice watering the other evening...leaves are green etc, but kinda limp...I'll try the organic fertilizer and let you know...also we may get thurnderstorms today, boy would that help...pray for rain...thanks

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9229462

Every day I look at the sky and wonder whether or not to water the garden. On the days I decide NOT to water, it doesn't rain. On the days I DO water, it rains! The weather people are no help - all they keep saying is that "showers are possible."
andi79
milan
Italy

December 30, 2013
11:27 PM

Post #9737272

Hi,

you can use these fertilizers: http://www.haifa-group.com/knowledge_center/crop_guides/pepper/ and download the pdf crop guide...

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2013
8:17 AM

Post #9737461

one of the BEST things you can do is start your own compost bin. I use a simple plastic storage tub myself (just make sure its bpa free and such), holes punched into the top, and bottom. throw in your plant matter kitchen scraps: fruit cores, veggie peelings, etc. Just no meats, as that would attract unwanted critters. And also toss outdoor plant matter in there, dried up leaves, grass clippings, dead annual plants from last years garden. Eventually it will all break down over 6-8 months time and will actually resemble that black potting soil you get from bags.

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9737466

i would leave the plastic bin completely open top, but we have deer that regularly travel through here that would make a total banquet out of the scraps, lol!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America