Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Crepe Myrtle

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Volgardner
Knoxville, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9224904

My crepe Myrtle is growing nicely, but is not blooming. I fertilized this Spring.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9231993

Did it ever bloom? We ignore ours and when it gets ready it blooms- it does best in full sun, just gets tall if shaded, only gets rain watered, unless like last yr the drought was so awful we watered some to keep the trees from dying onto the house.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9232211

When was it planted? If it was just planted recently (this year or last year) then it probably just needs to finish getting established before it'll bloom. Otherwise if it's been in the ground for years then I'd have the same question about whether it's ever bloomed--if it has bloomed in the past but not this year then I'd look at what changed this year (either in how you've cared for it, or weather/climate conditions). If it's been around for years and has never bloomed, then I'd look at things like whether it gets enough sun. Also, too much nitrogen fertilizer can stimulate lots of green growth at the expense of blooms, so maybe lay off the fertilizer a bit next year and see if that helps.
Volgardner
Knoxville, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9243526

It finally bloomed and while not as full as the blooms last year, I believe the color is a little more reddish than pinkish. It may have been the nitrogen in fertilizer - thx ecrane3.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America