-
AuthorContent
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9225010

Against all odds the Lord blessed us with our first full frame of honey. Many experienced beekeepers said we wouldn't get any the first year but even in a drought year, the Lord has provided. Now, what do I need to do to prep for winter?

Thumbnail by yardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2012
10:03 PM

Post #9359555

Hi Yardener,
Wow, that is a nice looking frame of honey you got there! What a blessing!

There must not be many bee keepers that post on Dave's Garden since you didn't get replies.

I have been attending the local bee club meetings for a year now and reading books on bee keeping but I'm not educated enough about the subject to give advice. I know the guys at the bee club here had several things they did to prepare their hives for winter -the main one being make sure the bees have enough honey stored to make it through the winter or you will need to buy a feeder to attach to the hive. They also said the fall is a good time to check for pests and diseases and take the appropriate measures.

I have two top bar hives that I'm getting ready (they are new so the outside needed painting) for spring. I am wondering if anyone has put down layers of old carpet under their hives so the grass doesn't grow and need to be mowed. What do you have under your hives, yardner? Are they close to the ground or do you have then up on stands?

Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9366269

You can use old carpeting to reduce the grass right in front of the hives.

We always kept them on stands, skunks are really bad predators of bees around here.

Winter prep in my (mild) zone is probably not as intense as in colder zones. Mostly we were setting up the hives to be moved into the almonds in February, so we took off what honey we could while still leaving plenty for the bees, and reduced all the hives to 2 stories.

Just about the time all the pests started I quit beekeeping, so am not up to date on the current treatments or preventatives for the various mites or other problems.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9366289

I would leave that frame in the hive. I harvested 2 of 9 frames of one of my hives this year and lost the hive.
I am not got the last hive on sugar water to help them through the winter.
Just my though.
Here is a pic of the sugar water feeder.

Dwight

Marry Christmas to all.

Thumbnail by rentman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9368029

So Diana, I'm speculating from what you said that the bees are only disturbed by mowing near the entrance to their hive? We have a loud lawn mower, would that matter? (Just trying to keep DH from getting stung.) We have skunks around here too. Any reccomendation on how high off the ground the hives should be?

Dwight, are you all having drought out there? I bought one of those feeders when we went to the Dadant store last week in case we don't get enough rain (plant growth for flowers/nectar/pollen) this coming spring. Here's hoping everybody gets all the rain they need this coming new year!

This message was edited Dec 30, 2012 11:30 PM
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #9368170

The rain here is average. But bees don't fly when the temp is below 60.
They will come down and feed on the sugar water, which is not the best for them but keeps the alive through the winter.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9371021

Glad to hear you all are getting enough rain! The beeks around here feed sugar water all winter also.

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9371089

Lost my other hive this week so I'm out of bee keeping.

Dwight

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America