Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tomatoes: Searching for old time tomato

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 3, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9225110

Searching for "Supermarket" a Marglobe, Distributed originally by Northrup King seeds ,Any help or suggestions are Welcome!
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 1, 2012
12:22 AM

Post #9225637

Supermarket (XP 3391) - Breeder and vendor: Asgrow Seed Co. Characteristics: determinate vine cultivar for green-wrap market; fruit with green shoulder. Similar: Homestead 24. Resistance: Cladosporium, Stemphylium, fusarium, and alternaria. Adaptation: southern and Gulf States; semitropical areas. 1964.

... the above from the NCSU Cultivar list. No mention of Marglobe but Homestead is similar to many of the early OP commercial varieties such as Marglobe, and no listing of the variety Supermarket from Northrup -King.

There's also Marglobe; Super, which I found listed in an earlier SSE YEearbook from 1990, and usually in almost any SSE YEarbook there are several versions of Marglobe, such as Select, Improved, you name it.

But the Super one was from Di Georgi Co of IA.

But I can't find any current seed source for either Supermarket or the Marglobe Super one, just another example of many earlier open pollinated commercial varieties that have been replaced with more recent varieties.

Best I can do.

Carolyn

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9225981

I knew about the Asgrow info, I just thought I would try, I've failed to find the tomato three or four times ,only there is no quit about the want and search. Thank you for the help with the search!
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 2, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9227299

If it were me I think I'd contact Asgrow via their Google site, since they bred it and see if they still have some seeds in the deep freeze that they'd be willing to share with you.

Asgrow bred it but NK sold the seeds for not just this one but NK sold many varieties bred by other companies as you can read if you do a Google search.

Carolyn

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America