Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Weather: August Weather - Cooling down?

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 124, Views: 797
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 31, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9225565

Not here, not yet. 90's tomorrow.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #9225611

Not here, either! Mid-90s for the next month.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9225996

SAME OF SAME, Only it rained here last night. 90'S again today (long droning moan)
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9226273

Can anyone say "AAAAHHHHH"... we are getting triple digit temps right now with no relief in sight!! I have been ill since June but not due to the weather so I have to try to get watering done early, or it is just a waste!
I hope everyone is doing better... I know I will some day!!! :0)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9226392

Not here either. Same ole same ole.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9226408

Hugs to you, Cindy. You will be better! Slowand easy does it. That's how I'm getting along. I hurt my back a couple of weeks ago. Getting there sloooooooowlyyyyyyyyy...

It's hot. 95.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9226986

To those having difficulty "time heals all" I don't know how true of comforting that is, only with prayers it seems too.

July records; 84.8 degree average ,all time record 1871-2012
26 days above 90 degrees ; most ever.
O.83 INCHES OF RAIN 6th driest ever. (I really could not see it being any drier here.)

We started August with a tenth of an inch on the first . Yeah and here's the same,95 yesterday's high, 97 forecast for today, Same,same, same.
If nothing else August is usually the hottest month of the year here,That is really something to look forward too (uh huh, right),snarling laugh of a grin.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

August 2, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9227316

Weather is improving. Nice calm warm weather and thankfully a little drier. Official forecast is drier and settled sunny weather for at least a week.

Had emails with our local TV weather guy yesterday pointing out that it may be hot and sunny in Honolulu but where we are it has been mostly grey and wet for two weeks with just an occasional sunny spell. He agreed and apologized that their radar does not do a got job of detecting rain in our area.

Thumbnail by microb   Thumbnail by microb
Click an image for an enlarged view.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9227706

Still hot.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9227778

I guess I really shouldn't reply here since it's "cooling"... Today was 103 high temperature in Buda today. I think we're gonna have to wait a couple of months before we can use "cooling" in the subject line... LOL...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
10:10 PM

Post #9227808

Mike, is that an egg I see under the bird?

Anyone can post here. 'Cooling' is subjective. We're 'only' in the mid-90s, instead of the upper 90s and 100s. LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 3, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9227870

We are down to 90 for a high. Next week only low 80's.
Wed night big storm rolled through. Lots of bad looking clouds, thunder & lightning. Some wind gusts, but NO RAIN!
Definitely a drought here.
Rain for the summer;
May 31 - 6/10"
June 10 - 8/10"
July 21 - 3/10"
July 29 - 5/10"

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9228134

That's awful. You need rain as badly as UT does.

90 for today, though, it will probably be hotter.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

August 3, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9228751

Beautiful Hawaiian day, more sun and less rain. Maybe things will dry out

Kwanjin - Yes that is an egg under one of our Muscovy ducks. She was most indignant about the photo. We get as many as three eggs a day from five Muscovys.
Also getting chicken eggs from around the garden. Leave one egg in the nest and pick up fresh ones. Also got two Peacock eggs this week. Good for cooking but a bit rich for frying with bacon
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9228753

Mid 90s and humid today. We got a couple drizzles earlier but only enough to make me run out to the truck to roll windows up. Then sun came out again. So back to normal. lol

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 3, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9228909

Started raining about 10 minutes ago. Nice mild thunderstorm. Looks like lots of needed rain.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2012
10:02 PM

Post #9228955

She does look a bit upset. LOL I have never had peacock eggs. Duck and chicken eggs only.

93 today. Colling down to around 65 and a slight breeze. Feels great!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 4, 2012
3:34 AM

Post #9229006

1.1" of rain as of 5 AM.
Off to market.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9229046

72/92/61
Partly cloudy with scattered strong storms developing during the afternoon. Storms may produce large hail and strong winds. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Thanks for the new month Bernie!

Cindy,
I hope you're better now!

Oh Celia,
I hope your OK too!!

Kevin,
Laughing, we're ''cool'' too, just being about 94 all week with dry air so it doesn't seem so hot.

Mike,
Love your duck!!

MONTY!
ROTFL&L&L!!!!

Mike,
Those duck eggs make the creamiest cakes!
Awesome! I never knew anyone to eat a peacock egg!

Good luck at Market Bernie!!

I picked green tomatoes yesterday for fried green tomatoes and green tomato pie!

We finally bought an electric pump to attach to the pitcher pump for watering all my flower beds. Our arms were getting very tired and all the beds have been watered four times now. I do have some blooms, but more importantly, we saved about everything. The touchy plants got dug up and are sitting in pots to be hand watered. They all perked up!

The grapes have done better than ever in the dryness and heat. We did water them good once.

Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9229343

Bernie, when I saw the front covered most of the state, I was hoping you would get some rain. Here in Wright, MN we received 1.2 inches overnight. Supposed to be nice till chance of rain on Wed.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9229470

Billy,

Nice looking pump station. When I did our raised beds I put in a drip irrigation system, and I also have sprayers for covering the large areas, using valves to control flow. What's real nice is being able to add to the system, and water at different rates when needed.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9229710

Hot and humid but not as bad as it has been. In mid 90s for high. Some sprinkles here and there around here but the heavy rain is north.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9230007

63/81/53
Sunny. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph.

Cala,
I'm glad to see anyone get rain!

Kevin,
We don't do drip because it's hard on our aging pump. Our neighbor put in irrigation and I envy her for that, LOL! But, she has many many more beds than I do and I enjoy walking her gardens with her.

Oh Pepper,
:o(

Yesterday we had the most beautiful thunderstorm ever!! There was constant thunder and we got 1&1/10'' out of it!! Altho it came down pretty hard, it all soaked in. I hope this can end our dry spell. Some farmers have cut their corn. Not harvesting it, but maybe using it for silage. One field had gone completely yellow in just a few days. The irrigated corn isn't much better. They say the drought is worse than the 1930's drought. It's scary.

Right now I'm researching yard trees. Do you know how hard that is? I have to have a tree with no nuts, no surface roots and no big pest problems. That leaves out oak, maple and ash... I'm looking at yellow poplar right now, altho it's short lived.

I just bumped someone's post that asked about the yellow poplar. No one had answered him.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9230640

A cool 88 here , nice humid 70 this morning, sunny now after it rained twice today,two to three days of rain,music, bells, glee full cheering,dancing around smiling.
A kidney stone sent a family member to hospice last night,so guess where I was all night, last night. That's what happens when your the only one awake at the time that can drive.Maybe I should consider ideas for trading in my license .(If I could think of any?)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9230766

Not as hot today. High pressure in area now so much cooler!!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 5, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9230769

We didn't even use the AC today. Very nice day!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 6, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9231745

We're still hot here 107F and going up for tomorrow. Terrible drought so I need to water a lot.
I'm so glad you guys had rain , but such scary tornadoes! Stay safe!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9232156

Hot, close to 100 for high.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 6, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9232187

Hit 90 here this afternoon.
Cool front coming ?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9232193

Later this week!! I can't wait!! LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9232617

63/93/64
Scattered clouds with the possibility of an isolated thunderstorm developing this afternoon. Hot. High 93F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%

Ju,
You are a savior in the eyes of the relatives :o) I hope the patient is ok!

Yesterday after a bit of weeding and filling birdbaths, I sat outside and read. I actually came back in later to put on pants and a sweatshirt. The cool air gave me goosebumps, LOL! Today we will be hotter, but may get rain. May...

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9233096

Hey all, been kind of busy with my youngest son moving into his first apartment. Lots to catch up on.

Been lots of off an on rain here since August started, very tropical and humid. We've had a bit of rain each day and lots of thunder and lightening. Highs not too bad due to cloud cover, maybe it hits 90 briefly, then rain cools us down. One night it was 71 degrees at sunset, how nice to sit out and enjoy that.

Hope everyone gets a cool down soon...I know we're all ready for fall to get here. :)

This is the time of year we have to really watch the tropics.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9233100

This is pretty cool fire rainbow photo in S. Florida
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/08/02/amazing-photo-fire-rainbow-over-florida/?intcmp=obinsite

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9233126

90'S and sunny here hot,winds are about 5mph ,It is back to being dry with uncomfortable humidity,despite the weather saying the humidity is at comfort level.
The cool evenings are welcome comfortable and delightful, I agree.(mostly upper 60's here).
Relatives are the spiritual define of the "nothing and everything" and some have done the same for me.(i just like to complain from time to time) Being older and up all night or fatigued makes one (Grumpy) I have a feeling you know that(lol)
I am wondering after three days of rain this week (7 days past) how it could still be so dry?!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9233419

Very hot again with temps currently at 102. I think tomorrow the cool front moves back in and we get small chances of rain and cooler weather. Saturday our high will be low 80s with temps getting down close to the 50s that night. I'm supposed to be at the state fair that night. Will be the first time I take a hoodie and wear jeans to make sure I stay warm instead of a fan!! LOL

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9234440

This is for all you sun lovers and those of you that enjoy a nice comfy 100 degrees. Here's to having the best summer ever!!

sunny 90's,winds 5to10 mph.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9234908

Currently in low 90s and t-storms in the area. Haven't reached us yet but working on it.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

August 8, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9234984

Still having nice settled Hawaiian weather. A little too many showers than I would like to see as ground does not dry up but must not complain. High Humidity

Mainland temps are unbelievable. I cannot imagine 100f day after day.

Spent most of this afternoon raking up bamboo leaves. Clumping bamboo are just starting to go crazy with new shoots. Its going to be another exciting year watching the new growth shoot skywards. Canes will range from 1 inch to almost 8 inches in diameter depending on species. Height will range from 15ft to 70ft+.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9236084

Rain and gloomy here except at night 60's,Mosquitoes are back!! highs 80's and 90's good hot heat index when the sun does shine,humid and sticky,great weather for the plants. presently calm)winds are 0.
Lots of bugs with rain and humidity,I wondered where they had mostly gone to. A little rainwater and poof they are everywhere.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9236241

Strong storms with winds over 50 mph at times came thru last night. Plenty of hail and the rain came down hard enough that I had a hard time seeing my neighbors across the road clearly. But no complaints since we needed all the moisture!!

Today was low 90s and sticky in some places but I only felt a nice breeze. lol
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9236324

Hot, but not as bad as it could be...it's actually almost tolerable. Mid 90's very humid.

We're surviving. We have much to be thankful for. We have had rain this season and everything has done Very Well!

Finaaly got my hut built, so excited! Will get pictures later!

My crew came and gave the jungle a "haircut"...no more jungle!!!!!!!!!!!! We can actually see the pond that is over in the far corner now. The poor banana trees look like toothpicks. They are now starting to put out leaves again. The crew leader suggested trimming them back since we had not done it in the spring and they were over 8 ft. tall, and it is hurricane season here. I agreed, hesitantly. My poor garden looks "naked". My youngest granddaughter came over and went out there. She came back in and said, "What happened??????? NO MORE JUNGLE!!!!!" I just said, "Yep", it's naked. Oh well, it'll grow back.

The jasmine and other vines had taken over the gazebo where the hut needed to be, and the Mexican Fan Palms were humongous. Snakes, critters, and people could have hid there. It really wasn't safe. Now we can see the ground again. My yard looks two times larger. I actually have space to grow the seeds I got for the Rose of Sharon that I have yet to plant, and the plumeria srrfd that Jenn sent me.

Will pray for rain for those that need it, and a cooling off for others!

Jeanne
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9236358

It still feels like someone left the oven on in our part of Texas. Can't remember when it rained more than an inch the last time - seems like it was back in April, though.

Adinamiti, how long have you had drought there?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9238389

It actually went from the upper 80's to 50 degrees last night! That was cold this morning,I can not hardly remember saying that!
It is a warm & muggy 74 currently, You would think that would be comfortable but it has only been that for a few hours.
Nice weather all in all weighed at recent 90 and 100 temps. It has even rained!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 12, 2012
12:37 AM

Post #9238605

Juhur , it got the same cold down here, only from 107F to 70F and even 50F during the night. We had a terrible rainstorm on Thursday which brought this cold and has been raining everyday eversince. You're right, I can't remember the last time I was cold!LOL

Ladypearl, it didn't rain almost all summer, except for 2 showers one in June and one in July. The last serious rain was in May. I had cracks in my garden, with all the watering. Some of the vegetables were toasted and the beans grew curly. Thanks for asking.

Thumbnail by adinamiti   Thumbnail by adinamiti   Thumbnail by adinamiti   Thumbnail by adinamiti   Thumbnail by adinamiti

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9238954

Glad to hear you got that rain and cool down adinamiti! We are still very dry here. My vegetables looked like yours before the plants just gave up trying to produce anything. What about last year (2011) - was it a dry year also? For us it was a very hot dry year.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

August 12, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9239129

Nice day time weather, a bit humid and plenty of showers over night. Ground is still too wet to do a lot of walking about or major garden work. Have to be content to trim and tidy.

Friend came by the other day. He has a bamboo which is three or four years old and wanted to look into the future to see what it would like 10 years from now. Here's the pic of my 12 year old bamboo

Thumbnail by microb

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9239145

Sounds like some are getting cooler weather. Still muggy here but we are getting quite a bit of rain and that does cool us down to the mid seventies for grilling dinner. We've been getting a good inch most days by 4 or 5 PM, wicked lightening. Humidity in the morning is at 89 percent...I am soaked after my morning walks from sweat. A 50 degree morning walk would be heaven about now. ☺

Adina, that is a real big cool down. Our crops didn't do well this year either, too hot, too much rain, too little rain..you name it.

Mike we get bamboo that tall here...this is my husband back in Feb. in front of some. Not in my yard though.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 12, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9239187

Overcast all day. Light rain in AM. 60.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9239256

In the Phillipines they use bamboo like that to build the huts they live in and their furniture. Bamboo can be used for so many things if you have the time to do it.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 12, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9239262

Started raining this afternoon. A good steady light rain. Soaks in real nice when it comes down slow.
Guy came by this morning & we cut cabbage for him. 225 heads. He had ordered it last spring.
Called later and said it was really great cabbage. They made kraut out of it. It was Bravo variety, about 6 lbs each.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9239270

Cloudy all day here,looks like rain,not so far though. I like raw cabbage and cole slaw,like saurkraut also .Been a while since I have had any.
Just simply a nice day,been a while since I could say that either. no wind ,rather humid, lots of bugs and birds this evening.
I like bamboo also,mine all died this year.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9239279

Highs in the mid 90s today and very humid. We have a chance for storms but not sure if we will get them or not.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9242765

Back to 87 today not too bad here all in all.sunny winds calm. I love these 70 and 80 degree temps.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9242794

95 and humid!

Love the bamboo!

Correction...it was 95 not 97 but it felt like much hotter! haha!

This message was edited Aug 15, 2012 10:20 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9242799

High around 97 here today too but not humid.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9243067

It's hot, it's nasty out, I'm not happy, DH isn't happy and the cats are not happy. Both cats got a bacterial bronchial infection caused by the poor air quality. Antibiotics all around!

I was telling the folks on the other site that the sunsets aren't even pretty anymore. They look toxic. So much smoke from the fires around here and no rain to help clear it out.

Thumbnail by kwanjin   Thumbnail by kwanjin

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9243076

My kitty had one of those year before last,floods, humidity, lots of pollen and fungal spores with that there had been.

As to the the sunsets That's "not good"

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9243079

No, it isn't good. Surprisingly, my asthma hasn't kicked in. I've been trying to stay in as much as possibly and am now keeping them in, too.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9243578

Grandma always runs the pure air ionizers says some of he better ones are pretty good at helping the air quality.

Raining and 70's here, mild 3mph wind, nice little rain showers so far.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9243956

Starting on Tuesday we have had clouds and showers - 2 inches of rain so far, thank Heavens! Maybe some of the trees (besides mesquite) will pull through after all.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9244012

Low 80s for a high and mostly cloudy with sprinkles here and there.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9244019

Still in the mid 90's. Supposed to get rain Sat and Sun. Sure hope so!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9245131

Comfortable weather here ,I guess that August cooling down has worked and came in welcome here. Cloudy most of today high was about 80 degrees. No wind and just nice.Man I am gonna love fall this year!! even if I am gonna hate winter lol!!
Rained all day yesterday and all night last night and man I am "eatin it up" as they say,or use to.

Thumbnail by juhur7

FountainMan
McKinney, TX

August 19, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9247045

Today was awesome. Got down to 65 degrees. Yesterday we got a good rain. Can't say the same for all of North Texas where many places got too much rain and flooding. But Yesterday afternoon it was cool and overcast and wishing it would never end. I hope as the year progresses we get more of those heavy overcast and drizzly days or weeks! They are welcome here in McKinney anytime.

Rain total 1.09"
FountainMan
McKinney, TX

August 19, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9247054

Here's what happened yesterday.

Key

Red=temperature
Pink=wind direction
1st Blue=wind speed
Yellow=solar radiation
Light Blue=rain total
Dark Blue=rain rate
Grey=barometer

The wind direction plot
N 360
W 90
S 180
E 270
N 0

This message was edited Aug 19, 2012 9:03 PM

This message was edited Aug 19, 2012 9:06 PM

Thumbnail by FountainMan

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #9247158

Hot! We did get rain so it cooled it off some. The plants sure appreciated the drink of water!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9247296

Lots and lots of rain here in Central FL...most days just reach 90, then the thunder showers start. They do cool us down to mid to upper 70's though. I think we have a stalled out front over us now, the air is so thick with humidity. News says to keep an eye on the tropics, a big wave may get a name in 48 hours, 80% chance.

Garden looks like a jungle..bird, butterflies and bees are happy as can be. ☺

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9247582

I'm going to plunk down in one of those chairs with my coffee, okay? Ahhhhh...

90s, smoky air, sick kitties...we've resorted to retreating into the house and turning on the air conditioner. The kitties are not happy about being kept indoors.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 20, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9247616

Great weather! 70's to 80's, sunny, light breeze. Prefect!
I sure love living in MN!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9248183

High 80s today but it didn't feel too bad.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9248308

It is raining here ,about the same earlier, sunn y 80's

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

August 20, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9248525

Out of touch for a while due to computer crash. Had to get up and running by reinstalling everything, even the operating system, from scratch. Lost some data but did full back up last Feb and a limited back up in May. Luckily my wife downloads photos from the camera on her computer so not all is lost. Main thing is we did not lose garden pics.

Nothing changed here with the weather. Wetter than normal tradewind sunshine and showers. Heavier showers today but still some sunshine. Temps around 65 at night, near 80 during the day.

Sunkissed - thats my kind of garden, lots of thick vegetation, green and lush looking - nice job!

Sounds like those mainland temps are slowly cooling down.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9248814

Push some of that rain this way. please.

90s. Again. Still.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9249397

Mid to high 90s this week. Air conditioner back on.

And I'm now fighting a cold. Yippee. NOT. lol

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9249486

Oh, sad! Sorry about that, Pepper. I hate Summer colds, yuck.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9249493

It is the cold nights and cooking day time time sun, I Been hearing sneezing and wheezing.
get well pepper, Hopefully your cold won't stay as long as the hot ,dry ,weather has, something good to forward to, ?
80'S to near 90's here, nights 50's and currently 60's for a few days.
kwanjin;Tried to send the rain to ya, but since that is the direction it came from ,I guess it didn't want to go where it had been before?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9249632

Maybe the rain will get here sometime tonight? We can hope.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9250516

Been sleeping off and on all day. Been a bit dizzy but not too bad. Hope that is gone tomorrow so I can go back to work. I won't be able to otherwise. All in all a bit better than yesterday. Nose not running as bad. Just trying to stay up on liquids.

Still hot with temps in the high 90s. Red flag warnings for a good portion of Missouri and Kansas. Several big grass fires in KS right now.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9250689

Get better, Pepper. We need your "Pep!"

Today is the first day in a long string of days that we could actually see the mts surrounding us.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9251498

90's are back for a few days, Maybe it will rain again someday . Cold nights hot days need a change or something.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9251629

Almost back to normal. Almost. lol.

High 90s again with humidity around 19%. There are still fires popping up everywhere but we have a high chance of rain this weekend.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9252717

thought we were going to get a break this next week..sigh..forcast shows mid 90sF again..
i love summer.but this summer here (provo UT) weve had constant upper 90F days forever..
and no break with any rain..we "usually" get some of the remains from monsoons from arizona
but not this yr.. sigh :(
i did alot of mulching around all my plants..so my water bill hasnt been NUTS..lol
but many plants ,especially tropicals..EE's most particularly.. just got by..
ones that did better were ones that got some shade..
i hope we have a nice long summer into oct..but.. with a break on this steady HOT/no rain weather..
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9252774

If it's not raining now it will be by morning. Temps were cooler today but still warm.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9252837

We got rain yesterday and today! It did cool it off a little. So glad, now I don't have to water for a day or two.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9252853

I live maybe 25 minutes from Tropicnut so our weather is almost exactly the same.

It's time to cool things down a bit.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 12:42 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9252868

Yeah, but aren't Jordan river falls near you two then? I remember the heat wave hallucinations not too far there. When it gets hot there it really gets hot!! I remember that too!.
I guess that is a bad joke that at least you can look at water while it goes past.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9253314

I'm kind of far from the Jordan River. It's channeled through town.

95 again today. And the hazy, smoky air is back. Yuck...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9253322

It's in the 90's here too, with cold nights, and that seems to make a lot of people more tired or irritable than usual.

You could see the river from any part of town the last time I was there,That kinda tells on me though, doesn't it?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9253414

Yes. LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 25, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9253484

We had 4/10ths this morning. Not much but it all helps. Cost us about $900. That's how much short we were in sales at the Farmers Market.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9253516

So you are saying 4/10ths of an inch cost $900 ? If that is I indeed have sympathy for you. I can see that is an amount that can smart(ouch) a bit.
I imagine with all the 4 ft. corn in the farm crop fields, and there is some like that here,Most of us may be joining you before long.It will be in all our pockets next year and maybe a few beyond.
Difficult to believe sometimes water and rain can get that extreme as to costing so much.At least where you and I are ,it hasn't gone beyond monetary .

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9253522

If I could get my DH to cut out a lot of our grass, we'd save oodles of cash.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 25, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9253632

Just a 4 figure on paper. All that really counts is what is in the pocket.
The rain was welcome.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

August 25, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9253801

Hawaiian summer has arrived (again). We had a really breezy day with wind whistling through the ironwoods along the driveway. It was probably 85f with almost no clouds. After all our relatively showery wet weather this hot wind was drying everything out. I may have to water the hanging baskets tomorrow. The heat also dries out the greenhouse so watering need there. Wind is supposed to drop off tomorrow but dry hot weather is forecast to persist for about a week. Its about time!

CountryGardens - I envy you the farmers market. We have one in our local small village and I would be surprised if all the stalls together make $900 on a Saturday morning. One vegetable stall, two plant stalls, a couple of bakery stalls and sometimes a rabbit, a chicken and a goat in a cage they call the petting zoo. Usually more vendors than customers. But I'm not making fun we get our weekly produce off that one stall and the quality is GREAT. Tomatoes taste like tomatoes should.
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2012
11:43 PM

Post #9253919

We are still in the 90's here as well but that is cooler than it has been!! We've had some rain but still need more. My flower garden is still hanging in there...just barely though, but all my veggies are gone, except the okra, but that is not producing edible pods!!! Too tough to eat.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9254224

We are under a tropical storm watch due to Issac. We actually have had a very nice week here and enjoying the pleasant evenings sitting outside. It rains almost an inch everyday, early and then clears up but leaves the temps in the lower 70's. One evening I was actually chilled and it was 71 degrees. I doubt it will stay like this, but sure felt that fall feeling a couple nights. Even the past couple days humidity wasn't as high...of course now it is with the storm.

Hopefully Issac will just be a rain maker. We have some bands that will go over us. I just hope it doesn't reach a Cat 2 before it hits land. Well I need to go out and do a bit of preparation, just in case.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9254699

Temps in the 80s and a bit humid with scattered showers all weekend.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9254870

Keep your head down, Sun, and good luck!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9254878

Lots of sunshine ,to lots of clouds ,Goofy weather!! 90's

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 27, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9255118

State fair is on & so is hot weather returning. High 80's today, 90's rest of the week.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9255230

Our state fair is next month. Always great fun to be had at them.

71 at 7am. Heading for the 90s again.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9255387

yeppers kwanjin...
did you have rain last nite?? we had a big storm go thru..maybe an hr..
rained nice.. YEA !!!!
lawn looks like it took a deep breath of relief..LOL
also the tropicals sure seemed to get a boost from it too..
i dont mind the humidity..we really dont get very humid here..
not compared to deep south..
looks like louisana is going to get it ..again.. :(
hope u all do ok !!!!!!!!!!!!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9255425

We got nothing! Clouds and rain all around us for awhile but nothing but a few lightning flashes.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9255743

Rained a while ago here just enough to make it humid, and I do mean humid!! like jungle Burma man!!! 80's feel like 90's
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9256185

90s and dry again. This weekend we may get Issac remnants depending on how he tracks.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9256786

Well Issac brought us two inches of rain, on top of all the soggy ground we we already have. The wind was just enough to trim the dead limbs out of the trees for us, we call a storm like this a "good storm". Nice and sunny again now, lots of racing clouds too and breezy. Should make it to 90 and pretty humid.
While out on my morning walk I noticed all kinds of mushrooms growing everywhere, big, small, bright colored, kind of cool to see so many.

Well I hope the storm just brings much needed rain for those that need it...nothing more. ☺
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9256794

Sunkissed - what a sweet post. So many people hope the storm hits another place instead of wishing it would dissipate. You are a very considerate person: "Well I hope the storm just brings much needed rain for those that need it...nothing more. ☺"
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9256795

yesterday was a whopper.. mid 90sF and felt humid too..again..not like deep south
humid..but for us..
it didnt even get to the 60sF last nite.. i think it was 73F this morning at 5:30am..
when fall does show up..it'll hit us like a brick.. LOL then i'll be missing summer..
:)
hope u all dont get to much flooding from issac..
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9257532

Hot with temps in the mid 90s for high. Waiting on Issac to meander his way up the mainland.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9258018

looks like issac will eventually get up to MO area late this week..
guess it will pop up your humidity..but some well sought after rain too...
wish we could get some of it.. sigh..
yesterday was 100F here..??? that is just to hot for "almost sept"...???
clouds built up late afternoon..it did rain a tiny bit on east mountains.. saw the
rainbow.. but zippo down in valleys.. :(
today is to be just as hot.. sigh.. keeping the lawn alive.. barely..

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9258151

I agree with 'too hot for almost Sept.' Upper 90s again today. Shesh! Everything is looking ragged and sad. Including DH, the cats and me. LOL
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9258215

lol..ya.. during the day..my 2 cats have made the basement their domain.. :)
mm..wait..i think they run the whole house.. so they think.. lol
ya..ive had to move many of my potted tropicals around to get some afternoon shade..
you know its hot and dry when i have to water my potted plants every day.. usually i get away
with every other day.. not so this summer..
"forcast" for later today is clouds.."maybe" rain.. we'll see..

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9258223

Cats rule everywhere.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9258570

that is great !!! :)
i would get one..but i barely got my cats from calling long distance..and running
my phone bill up.. LOL
i dont want to give them anymore ideas..
:)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9258689

No, can't have that! LOL They come up with stuff all on their own. Like Monty pulling the bag of jerky off an unattended tray and hiding it behind the couch. Or Isis deciding the TOP of the Christmas tree is where she needs to be.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2012 6:50 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9258724

Hotter today than yesterday. Almost 100 for a high.

We are in the bulls eye now for Issac it looks like. I want the rain but I want it to wait til after my family reunion. My grandma's house is not that big. LOL

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9258737

Well they will change this thread in a few days so here goes
I wouldn't let camo poop on the iris today while I was planting them so he goes To the other side of the flower bed and poops on the dalillies. They like to go clean with frangrance,You think we could make make french Lav- n--purr just for the kitties.
That tells you'all about how much I understood this conversation? HUH?

HOT, HUMID 88, Here today light 3to 5 breeze every so often.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2012
1:48 AM

Post #9260086

Isaac is heading to St. Louis, and I can't wait! I cross the Mississippi River commuting to work everyday & it is pretty low. I'm getting excited now & will plant my fall crop this week after the rainfall. Drink thirsty plants, drink!!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9260550

Cooler today. Only 80 right now, overcast and breezy.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9260620

is down here too.. overcast till about hr ago..
we had RAIN last nite!!! not alot ..but almost an hr.. YEA !!!
looks like rain again..later today.. hope so..
LOL on our cats..
my oldest..19yrs old.. winston..he use to "collect" whatever he wanted
as a kitten..young cat..and hide stuff behind the stove.. i had no idea till i pulled stove out to
sweep..and surprise..LOL
always something.. they haul small area rugs to other rooms>>>??? why??? lol
youngest ..kepher.. he likes to find papers..always seems to be ones i need..and takes them
upstairs.. ??? why??? LOL
forcasts for my part of utah show moderate temps..probable rain..then into next week.. mid 90SF
again.. sigh..

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9260681

We had a small amount of rain. Just a trace and hoping for more!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9260717

its building up here ... wind picking up..
mts to east and south are getting rain now..
hope it doesnt just hug the mts and rains in the valley too !!!!
was a really nice day today..some sun..never hit 90F in provo..
:) would be nice to have mid 80sF all of sept.. i dont ask for much..
LOL

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9260820

kwanjin, My mom and Dad have that same door mat. Mine saws "wipe your paws".

Well I swear we've had the two hottest days so far this whole summer, yesterday got up to 98 here, Accuweather shows 100, first time this whole summer I saw that on daily records. Today it was 97 according to my Jeep on the hot roadway. But now it is down in the mid 80's. No rain, just cloudy. HUMID! ugh...skeeters...ugh.

Hope everyone has a nice Labor Day weekend...stay cool and find a pool if you can. My friend in MO is happy she got lots of rain today.

However, I do feel really bad that the storm lingered so long over Louisiana, Mississippi and Arkansas. and my thoughts go out to everyone that is still suffering from the flooding rains and no power...and the couple that lost their lives...so very sad. And to all those in the Caribbean that lost their loved ones also. These storms are to be taken seriously, each one so different and you just never know what they're going to do. Let's hope this was it for the season and the rest go out to sea.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9260929

It has been raining nonstop since mid morning today. Will keep raining all day tomorrow they are saying.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9261497

Time to move on...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278087/

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America