Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

August Weather - Cooling down?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Not here, not yet. 90's tomorrow.

(Zone 7a)

Not here, either! Mid-90s for the next month.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

SAME OF SAME, Only it rained here last night. 90'S again today (long droning moan)

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Can anyone say "AAAAHHHHH".... we are getting triple digit temps right now with no relief in sight!! I have been ill since June but not due to the weather so I have to try to get watering done early, or it is just a waste!
I hope everyone is doing better... I know I will some day!!! :0)

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Not here either. Same ole same ole.

(Zone 7a)

Hugs to you, Cindy. You will be better! Slowand easy does it. That's how I'm getting along. I hurt my back a couple of weeks ago. Getting there sloooooooowlyyyyyyyyy...

It's hot. 95.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

To those having difficulty "time heals all" I don't know how true of comforting that is, only with prayers it seems too.

July records; 84.8 degree average ,all time record 1871-2012
26 days above 90 degrees ; most ever.
O.83 INCHES OF RAIN 6th driest ever. (I really could not see it being any drier here.)

We started August with a tenth of an inch on the first . Yeah and here's the same,95 yesterday's high, 97 forecast for today, Same,same, same.
If nothing else August is usually the hottest month of the year here,That is really something to look forward too (uh huh, right),snarling laugh of a grin.

Mountain View, HI

Weather is improving. Nice calm warm weather and thankfully a little drier. Official forecast is drier and settled sunny weather for at least a week.

Had emails with our local TV weather guy yesterday pointing out that it may be hot and sunny in Honolulu but where we are it has been mostly grey and wet for two weeks with just an occasional sunny spell. He agreed and apologized that their radar does not do a got job of detecting rain in our area.

Thumbnail by microb Thumbnail by microb

Still hot.

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

I guess I really shouldn't reply here since it's "cooling"... Today was 103 high temperature in Buda today. I think we're gonna have to wait a couple of months before we can use "cooling" in the subject line... LOL...

(Zone 7a)

Mike, is that an egg I see under the bird?

Anyone can post here. 'Cooling' is subjective. We're 'only' in the mid-90s, instead of the upper 90s and 100s. LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We are down to 90 for a high. Next week only low 80's.
Wed night big storm rolled through. Lots of bad looking clouds, thunder & lightning. Some wind gusts, but NO RAIN!
Definitely a drought here.
Rain for the summer;
May 31 - 6/10"
June 10 - 8/10"
July 21 - 3/10"
July 29 - 5/10"

(Zone 7a)

That's awful. You need rain as badly as UT does.

90 for today, though, it will probably be hotter.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Mountain View, HI

Beautiful Hawaiian day, more sun and less rain. Maybe things will dry out

Kwanjin - Yes that is an egg under one of our Muscovy ducks. She was most indignant about the photo. We get as many as three eggs a day from five Muscovys.
Also getting chicken eggs from around the garden. Leave one egg in the nest and pick up fresh ones. Also got two Peacock eggs this week. Good for cooking but a bit rich for frying with bacon

Mid 90s and humid today. We got a couple drizzles earlier but only enough to make me run out to the truck to roll windows up. Then sun came out again. So back to normal. lol

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Started raining about 10 minutes ago. Nice mild thunderstorm. Looks like lots of needed rain.

(Zone 7a)

She does look a bit upset. LOL I have never had peacock eggs. Duck and chicken eggs only.

93 today. Colling down to around 65 and a slight breeze. Feels great!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

1.1" of rain as of 5 AM.
Off to market.

(Zone 5a)

Partly cloudy with scattered strong storms developing during the afternoon. Storms may produce large hail and strong winds. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Thanks for the new month Bernie!

I hope you're better now!

Oh Celia,
I hope your OK too!!

Laughing, we're ''cool'' too, just being about 94 all week with dry air so it doesn't seem so hot.

Love your duck!!

Those duck eggs make the creamiest cakes!
Awesome! I never knew anyone to eat a peacock egg!

Good luck at Market Bernie!!

I picked green tomatoes yesterday for fried green tomatoes and green tomato pie!

We finally bought an electric pump to attach to the pitcher pump for watering all my flower beds. Our arms were getting very tired and all the beds have been watered four times now. I do have some blooms, but more importantly, we saved about everything. The touchy plants got dug up and are sitting in pots to be hand watered. They all perked up!

The grapes have done better than ever in the dryness and heat. We did water them good once.

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Bernie, when I saw the front covered most of the state, I was hoping you would get some rain. Here in Wright, MN we received 1.2 inches overnight. Supposed to be nice till chance of rain on Wed.

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

Nice looking pump station. When I did our raised beds I put in a drip irrigation system, and I also have sprayers for covering the large areas, using valves to control flow. What's real nice is being able to add to the system, and water at different rates when needed.

Hot and humid but not as bad as it has been. In mid 90s for high. Some sprinkles here and there around here but the heavy rain is north.

(Zone 5a)

Sunny. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph.

I'm glad to see anyone get rain!

We don't do drip because it's hard on our aging pump. Our neighbor put in irrigation and I envy her for that, LOL! But, she has many many more beds than I do and I enjoy walking her gardens with her.

Oh Pepper,

Yesterday we had the most beautiful thunderstorm ever!! There was constant thunder and we got 1&1/10'' out of it!! Altho it came down pretty hard, it all soaked in. I hope this can end our dry spell. Some farmers have cut their corn. Not harvesting it, but maybe using it for silage. One field had gone completely yellow in just a few days. The irrigated corn isn't much better. They say the drought is worse than the 1930's drought. It's scary.

Right now I'm researching yard trees. Do you know how hard that is? I have to have a tree with no nuts, no surface roots and no big pest problems. That leaves out oak, maple and ash.... I'm looking at yellow poplar right now, altho it's short lived.

I just bumped someone's post that asked about the yellow poplar. No one had answered him.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A cool 88 here , nice humid 70 this morning, sunny now after it rained twice today,two to three days of rain,music, bells, glee full cheering,dancing around smiling.
A kidney stone sent a family member to hospice last night,so guess where I was all night, last night. That's what happens when your the only one awake at the time that can drive.Maybe I should consider ideas for trading in my license .(If I could think of any?)

Not as hot today. High pressure in area now so much cooler!!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We didn't even use the AC today. Very nice day!

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

We're still hot here 107F and going up for tomorrow. Terrible drought so I need to water a lot.
I'm so glad you guys had rain , but such scary tornadoes! Stay safe!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Hot, close to 100 for high.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Hit 90 here this afternoon.
Cool front coming ?

Later this week!! I can't wait!! LOL

(Zone 5a)

Scattered clouds with the possibility of an isolated thunderstorm developing this afternoon. Hot. High 93F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%

You are a savior in the eyes of the relatives :o) I hope the patient is ok!

Yesterday after a bit of weeding and filling birdbaths, I sat outside and read. I actually came back in later to put on pants and a sweatshirt. The cool air gave me goosebumps, LOL! Today we will be hotter, but may get rain. May...

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey all, been kind of busy with my youngest son moving into his first apartment. Lots to catch up on.

Been lots of off an on rain here since August started, very tropical and humid. We've had a bit of rain each day and lots of thunder and lightening. Highs not too bad due to cloud cover, maybe it hits 90 briefly, then rain cools us down. One night it was 71 degrees at sunset, how nice to sit out and enjoy that.

Hope everyone gets a cool down soon...I know we're all ready for fall to get here. :)

This is the time of year we have to really watch the tropics.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

This is pretty cool fire rainbow photo in S. Florida

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

90'S and sunny here hot,winds are about 5mph ,It is back to being dry with uncomfortable humidity,despite the weather saying the humidity is at comfort level.
The cool evenings are welcome comfortable and delightful, I agree.(mostly upper 60's here).
Relatives are the spiritual define of the "nothing and everything" and some have done the same for me.(i just like to complain from time to time) Being older and up all night or fatigued makes one (Grumpy) I have a feeling you know that(lol)
I am wondering after three days of rain this week (7 days past) how it could still be so dry?!!

Very hot again with temps currently at 102. I think tomorrow the cool front moves back in and we get small chances of rain and cooler weather. Saturday our high will be low 80s with temps getting down close to the 50s that night. I'm supposed to be at the state fair that night. Will be the first time I take a hoodie and wear jeans to make sure I stay warm instead of a fan!! LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

This is for all you sun lovers and those of you that enjoy a nice comfy 100 degrees. Here's to having the best summer ever!!

sunny 90's,winds 5to10 mph.

Currently in low 90s and t-storms in the area. Haven't reached us yet but working on it.

Mountain View, HI

Still having nice settled Hawaiian weather. A little too many showers than I would like to see as ground does not dry up but must not complain. High Humidity

Mainland temps are unbelievable. I cannot imagine 100f day after day.

Spent most of this afternoon raking up bamboo leaves. Clumping bamboo are just starting to go crazy with new shoots. Its going to be another exciting year watching the new growth shoot skywards. Canes will range from 1 inch to almost 8 inches in diameter depending on species. Height will range from 15ft to 70ft+.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Rain and gloomy here except at night 60's,Mosquitoes are back!! highs 80's and 90's good hot heat index when the sun does shine,humid and sticky,great weather for the plants. presently calm)winds are 0.
Lots of bugs with rain and humidity,I wondered where they had mostly gone to. A little rainwater and poof they are everywhere.

Strong storms with winds over 50 mph at times came thru last night. Plenty of hail and the rain came down hard enough that I had a hard time seeing my neighbors across the road clearly. But no complaints since we needed all the moisture!!

Today was low 90s and sticky in some places but I only felt a nice breeze. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.