Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Fruit: Unknown Pest Attacking My Stella Cherry Tree?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Fruit
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FruitReplies: 4, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AlexanderSam
Jackson, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9225630

I need some help identifying (and getting rid of) a pest that has been attacking my Stella Cherry tree. It's quite young, I just planted it out it last April.
Anyway, just within the last day or so I noticed that several of the leaves are suddenly quite brown and holey and when I went out to take a closer look I noticed that there are two roughly parallel rings of bark missing from all the way around down at the base, just barely above the grass. I haven't seen anything and there were no noticeable bugs or eggs on any of the leaves I checked.
I can take some pictures possibly tomorrow if anyone thinks it would help.
Thank you for any assistance anyone can offer.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9225721

It sounds like it may be a goner if the bark has been stripped all the way around the base. Is someone weed whacking too close to the tree?
AlexanderSam
Jackson, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9226287

It's not all of the bark. Just two parallel strips about a quarter inch wide, one above the other.
No, we don't even have a weed whacker.
AlexanderSam
Jackson, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9226292

Wait, I was just told that we do, in fact have one, I've just never been home when it was being used. I'll have to ask if they use it over there. If that's it, there isn't anything that can be done to try to save it?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9226422

Depends on if the bark is stripped completely around the trunk - it that is the case the top will die and the tree may sucker from the roots. If there is a good portion of the bark still intact then it may be okay but will also be open for insects and disease.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Fruit Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blackberries, blueberries and strawberries... RyanandRachel 15 Mar 9, 2007 9:11 PM
Cuttings from Old Apple Tree wildgardengirl 4 Mar 16, 2007 4:08 PM
Strawberries HighCntryGrdnr 18 Sep 4, 2012 6:23 PM
wondering about the fig trees sslopoke 4 Apr 14, 2007 12:26 AM
Queen Ann Cherry Trees lafko06 1 Apr 16, 2007 2:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America