Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace?: lantana in missouri

Communities > Forums > Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace?Replies: 5, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dordee
Silex, MO

August 1, 2012
1:10 AM

Post #9225644

With our HOT summer in Missouri, even Lantana is struggling! And the deer are eating the flowers along with the rabbits.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9225898

Wow, all the reports I read indicated that Lantana were not favored by deer--they must be REALLY hungry. Your Lantana could certainly use some water, especially if you are growing a newer fancier cultivar. (The older, wilder types are, I think, probably more drought-tolerant.) It is hot, I mean HOT in Texas too! I think the whole country is breaking records for hottest summer ever. Hard on plants AND people. Thanks for the report from Missouri; I appreciate your comment! Hope it cools down for you soon.
TableRockNewbie
Galena, MO

August 2, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9226881

Moved from Texas to Missouri recently; Dordee, where did you purchase your Lantana in MO? Thanks

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9227884

TableRockNewbie, you might want to send dordee a D-mail. I'm not sure how often s/he checks in.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9230003

Great article as usual Carrie.
I've got Lantana here in the Arkansas Ozarks. It is however in a large container, So it does'nt have a chance to wonder off anywhere.
Deer have totally destroyed my Hibiscus. I'm usually sympathic for the deer but not at the expense of my Hibiscus. This fall that deer is history in my freezer,compliments of my SIL.
It is hot and very dry here. Our oaks and Dogwoods are dieing. Am watering the fig and container plants. I'm keeping water out for the birds. I was worried about my cats catching the birds but only one bird was caught.The others are super cautious now. I think my cats are too well fed and lazy.LOL
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9232306

Hah, the idea of your well-fed and lazy cats! Thanks for the compliment, Vickie. It's the Lantana seeds you should be worried about, though. Sorry about your deer.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice article DonShirer 8 Jul 30, 2012 12:57 PM
We love Lantana here in Texas. frostweed 3 Jul 30, 2012 1:05 PM
Lantana is a Noxious weed in Australia Gabi65 1 Jul 30, 2012 12:41 PM
Lantana has a wider range than we know Gardeningman 1 Jul 30, 2012 12:36 PM
Lantana camara ARWadoo 7 Jun 20, 2013 8:47 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America