Photo by Melody

Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace?: Lantana camara

Communities > Forums > Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace?Replies: 7, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ARWadoo
Srinagar
India

August 1, 2012
2:56 AM

Post #9225661

Informative article about Lantana. I have some memories of the plant in India

Lantana was introduced in India by the British Raj. It left the beautiful gardens and entered the tropical forests. It multiplied so luxuriously that the original forest flora had to yield out and allow lantana to smoother every important forest regeneration .It continues to be a dangerous weed. Bugs burning mantras all failed to contain it. It could not invade the temperate areas.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9225917

Thank you for your report from India. What you say corresponds to my research. It is difficult to say, on a gardening website, your attractive annual flowering plant is wiping out eco-systems on the other side of the world! My original title was something like "Lantana, attractive annual or dangerous, weedy menace" but I took out the word "dangerous" because nobody reads articles about dangerous menaces.

I think, long term, bugs may be your best option. Scientists are, actually, working on the Lantana problem. I just heard about a new bug and virus combination which decimates ornamental Lantana in Texas. Although ornamental Lantana are certainly easier to get rid of than your naturalized types, at least it is promising. And did you click on the link for Biological Controls of Lantana? Also, in some areas, local populations are weaving Lantana where they once wove bamboo, or using Lantana hedges as mosquito barriers. (Like making lemonade out of lemons, I guess.)

As I believe I mentioned, burning clears the field of competitors so that Lantana has an empty arena to conquer, not really having a long-term effect on Lantana's vitality. Mantras have not, as far as I know, shown any effectiveness.

Again, thank you for your thoughtful comment from India. I also got comments from Hawaii, Australia as well as the more typical "continental US" comments.
mom2krb
Tonawanda, NY

September 2, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9262356

I would like to buy lantana seeds, but not sure what kind to buy and where I might get some. I live in Zone 5/6 in Western NY? does anyone have seeds?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9262477

If you want lantana to look a certain way, pink or lavender or upright, your best bet is a reputable seed company if you can find one which carries them. Although I didn't really specify in the article (tsk, tsk at myself), specific cultivars are mostly procreated by cuttings and not by seeds.

http://www.hardyplants.com/seeds/LNJ9-A9.html
Here's one place which may have seed sometime.

http://summerhillseeds.com/advanced_search_result.html?keyword=lantana&zenid=ba2c866deb44e68389fdaa43571cf59b&search_in_description=1
You could try here, although this company is not one I would recommend in general. Their website is beautiful and the copy is convincing, but I think once they sent seeds too late or something, although since I don't remember specifics, you should judge for yourself.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/advanced.php?category=33&submit=Go&cat[158]=33&offset=40
Or you could look here for other seed companies and just search "lantana" at each one. I think, after this little search, that I will stick with my initial claim that you are better off growing them from cuttings.
mom2krb
Tonawanda, NY

September 6, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9266777

Thanks for the info. I have family and friends in VA and they are going to try and collect seed from their plants and do cuttings. They wanted a way to keep the plants that they have this year and I may benefit from their successes. I just might look into seeds for myself, just in case.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9267258

I wish you luck! You may end up with something totally different, but it should be different, at least.
ARWadoo
Srinagar
India

June 20, 2013
3:27 AM

Post #9565818

Thanks. Lantana is not totally bad .While it has beautified the lawns, it has been put to a very important use in India. Lantana has successfully been used to fight erosion problems in the hilly regions in tropical monsoon areas. Its spreading root system binds the soil and arrests water erosion. with its phenomenal growth it covers the whole are and stops splash erosion thus saves the eroded area.
ARWadoo

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9566145

Good news! Thank you, ARWadoo, for helping my image of lantana to be more balanced. Although remember, we thought kudzu would help with erosion...kudzu is a famously awful invasive ornamental weed in the US. I guess it's the one example we can all related to, when we're trying to imagine lantana in India or Hawaii.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Lantana--colorful, easy annual, or weedy menace? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice article DonShirer 8 Jul 30, 2012 12:57 PM
We love Lantana here in Texas. frostweed 3 Jul 30, 2012 1:05 PM
Lantana is a Noxious weed in Australia Gabi65 1 Jul 30, 2012 12:41 PM
Lantana has a wider range than we know Gardeningman 1 Jul 30, 2012 12:36 PM
lantana in missouri dordee 5 Aug 6, 2012 6:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America