Sewing and Quilting... AUGUST, what are we working on?

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

We came from here : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1269127/#new

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I finally after all these years ---- I'm first in a thread!!!!!

I tore my sewing room apart and am weeding out, gifting, donating. and saving for me to do. What a mess. I have soo much stuff - I need to find a newbie that could use some rulers and other notions...I've been blessed to be gifted with all kind of things and I have such a smalll spsace now. Need to share.

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

holding up my hand, Barb for the NJ sewing room. Very sparce here as yet

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Back in Feb I took a class with Bonnie Hunter, figured I would make a quilt for my son's 25th birthday.Ha!, that was back in April. Finally got back to working on it this past weekend, but hey, Christmas is coming, right? Still need to make more blocks. These are just laid on top of my cutting table. I am making progress.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

omg that is work will be beautiful

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Love the colors and pattern it it making. Nice job!

Robin - that is going to be so beautiful. I love the pattern the blocks make as well. Nice job. How big will it be?

I like Bonni Hunter's scrap blocks in Quiltmaker. Here it looks like you do the stars in strips and everything else in strips

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Home again to find some lovely fat envelopes from swaps in other threads.
I need to get back into my exercise class. It's called Silver Sneakers and my health ins. pays for it. I really enjoy going and feel so much better when I do. I'd been going 3 days a week M-W-F, until I went to TN. I'll be back in class Fri. I'll need a couple days, I took a spill in the garage while loading my car. Skinned up a bit, nothing serious but I sure am sore in a few weird places. Sitting in the car driving for 4 1/2 hours didn't help much, stiffened up quite bit. Made for fun unloading the car.

Oh Karen - I'm sorry to hear of your fall. Maybe a nice warm/hot soak would do you some good. We only have a shower here and I haven't had the luxury of a soaking bath in five years.....
guess I'll just have to talk Norm into a hotel for a night!!!!!

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Karen - take care of yourself, please - and no more falls!

That quilt is beautiful, Robin!! Looking forward to seeing the finished project..........

I've taken ONE bath in YEARS and that was because my husband talked me into it. I hated it. I don't have the patience for it or something. I love my shower!!

The star pattern is very nice. I'll bet that would lend itself well to the "like a jelly roll exchange" fabric swap.

Karen, can you take some anti-inflamatories?? Like Aleve etc? check with you MD, if you can't take them they will speed up the recovery from stiffness etc.

I usually shower but we do have a huge footed tub. Found it in an alley when we were building here and had it refinished. The kids love it. I just might soak a bit tonight. I look worse than I am, I'm one of those that get cuts and bruises easily...thin skin and thin blood. Usually I have no idea how I cut myself it's just there.

Karen, hope you are feeling better from the fall. I didn't fall but did manage to bruise myself on the ladder.....not sure how but I have a whopper!! Babysat the granddaughters yesterday afternoon and we built tents using blankets and the dining room chairs. Had a blast until I got out of bed this morning. What ever made me think I could get down and crawl around on the floor like they were? Must have had a serious "blond" moment. Confession: I loved doing it.

lol Marion - great confession there! I'll just BET you loved it, and would do it again, right? lol
Pat - when we rebuilt our bathroom, I had them put in a soaker tub, a blue pot light above, and a step up with a wide area around it so I could put my wine glass there, at my elbow height........... I really pampered myself in the tub, with scented bubble bath, etc.......oh, and the step up had a door so I could store "stuff" in it.
I usually just shower now since we moved here, cuz now we have a tiny tub, and it's just not "pampering" big enough.............

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Had a steam bath put in with our recent renovation. it's an enclosed jacuzzi tub with all sorts of shower heads and then can fill it with steam. It's DH's toy. Still has a leak so can't use it much yet. I rarely have time to take a bath. Just want to hop in the shower, get the dirt off, and move on tot he next thing on my to-do list.

Today I plan to get a lot of sewing done. Would like to finish up the 2 I'm working on.

The baby's color scheme is pink & grey. Can't find any babyish print I like with a grey mixed in. FOund a jungle print but it sure didn't look like something for a baby girl.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I should have fought harder not have the big tub we have in our bathroom. I never used the ones in any other house and I didnt want it here. Could have had a great corner vanity, bigger closet, anything. It now is just a big storage bin for the beach towels and bigger stuff that takes up the linen closet. Its a pain to clean, it takes a ton of water, and I have to fill it twice because I want anything yucky that has built up in all the hoses to get blown out before I get in. Im sure it feels good once you finally get in, but just give me a shower with great water pressure and all is well.

They have a sewing machine for the todays special on HSN. Not looking for a machine, but they do such neat things when demonstrating it. I sure wish I could sew like they show. Martha Stewart is on now, I just had to walk away. Everything looks so easy till I get it home.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

http://www.joann.com/warm-natural-cotton-batting-queen-size-90-x-40yds/xprd780191/?utm_source=joann&utm_medium=email&utm_term=1daydeal_ancr&utm_content=HTML&utm_campaign=20120802-D&rid=20120802-D

SALE alert! One day only sale, today only batting on sale at Joann's! Warm & Natural Cotton Batting-Queen Size 90'' x 40yds
# 1889351
reg. 429.99
sale 209.99

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

They also have the smaller amounts half price online. Thats a little better than half price.

Marion sounds like great fun. Great grandson Brody age 3 in TN would pile in with me every morning. (actually all three would but he was usually first, and the other two wanted to cuddle) He was all about playing. I said to him "I'm not your play toy". He replied" Yes you is". Soooo I had quite a few "mysterious" bruises show up, not that he was unduly rough just that I bruise so easily. It was extra hard for me to leave this time, their family is in an upheaval and the kids were so clinging to me.

And a $2.95 shipping code for JoAnn's: FAC216
I just ordered some King packages since the bolt had not been on sale. Have till midnite to see if I can manage to purchase a bolt.

I wish I had $200 I could afford to spend! Between needing new tires, a truck battery that exploded, a frig for the renter AND replacing the washing machine that went out.... uuh no. Concentrating on getting the BILLS paid!!! LOL

www.happyapplequilts.com

Check this one out ladies........I love this shop. Nice fabric and they ship very fast!!!

Disclaimer: Not responsible for any trouble anyone gets into. LOL

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Pat, it always seems to go that way, when it rains it pours!

Oh Marion, you had to post that didn't you! ^_^

I swear there is a moratorium on baby girl fabrics!!!! None in either LQS. Times like this I really miss those large PA quilt shops that had EVERYTHING!!!! I did buy a "wedding" fabric that has off white bg and small pink hearts & heart outlines. It will fit in the quilt somewhere.
Had a very nice chat with the guy who does the LA quilting there. He is very nice & encouraged me to bring any top I was having problems deciding on how to quilt.

Oh Jean!!! THAT fabric sounds WONDERFUL!!! You know how I am about heart fabric!!!

Marion, YOU are killing me!!! I went to that site..... I can NOT buy, I can NOT buy... no... no... *sniff*.

tsk tsk tsk Marion - seems there are a few sistahs you're killing off LOL Me included! Wish I could convince myself that I had the $$ AND that it's ok to order online.......... Neither seem to work for me lol

Susan, I have not had any problems with ordering from that shop.....quick delivery time and more than pleased with the fabrics.

I mean.... convincing myself doesn't work.......... I'm a "tough sell" LOL
I use online banking all the time, and know it's secure, but it's too easy for me to buy online, and not have to think about it, so I don't

Ya, that's like me and the debit card. I was MUCH better watching my pennies when writing a CHECK than using the debit card. I'm going back to debit ONLY. I will use my debit card now in the same circumstances as I would have had to use a credit card. At the gas pump, online order etc.

Oh it does take discipline with the debit card for sure. Trust me I have to set up a budget and stick to it........husband's 401K (retirement pension) is only disbursed once a year so it could be feast or famine at this household. I have this horrible (?) habit of putting all my change in a coffee can and when it gets really heavy I roll it....that is my "play" money. Then I splurge on fabric......on sale of course. Don't even get me started on plants and what I would spend if I had the extra money!!!!

My card works both ways as credit and debit. Comes out of the same account, no interest, no fee. My Credit Union told me it was safer to use it as a credit card, no chance of someone "seeing" my password. So unless I want to get some cash back (no ATM fees), I use it as credit.

Marion, I'm always surprised at how fast "spare" change adds up. We save it in a container too and once a year we take the younger grands and the greats to a place we have called "Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum". This place is packed with arcade games from antiques to the latest. If we go on a weekday we have the place nearly to our selves and for a few hours the kids have a ball.

Karen, mine is also a Debit/Credit and much like you I am very selective where and how it is used.

Oh but doesn't it add up quickly!!! Kim laughs at me about my big old coffee can full of change ..that is until I decide to empty it!!!

We actually sent my parents to Hawaii for a week on change saved by us, my siblings and our children for a year.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I have decided I am not buying any more fabric or sewing stuff, well except for the batting I ordered from Joanns (I believe I owe a "Thank You" to Jean for letting us know about that one). I am moving out of the basement of the townhouse I have been in (one large room) for the past 2 &1/2 years and into a 2 room 'master suite' with a private bathroom and a private entrance. Will still have to share the kitchen but it will give me more space and a bedroom too. Closer to work also. So no buying anything until I am in there and have seen what I have.

my late DH loved saving his coins. We did Arizona one year with the change. Hotel "El Tavor" at the Canyon and Sedona, some cheaper motels.wonderful trip. I hated wrapping them. My coins are in my ourse, thats it.

Did a good # however with the fabric site......

that is wonderful news especially the closer to work part. $ in the bank with gas prices what they are. More fabric, LOL. Moving is not pretty however.

Camping (tenting) stuff's packed and sitting on the deck, waiting for a bit of Bob's input, and his packing of the truck..... it's after 2pm, and he's still heading home. He ran some errands after work, and should be home soon........
Rain's stopped and should be sunny & warm/hot the rest of the holiday weekend!

chat with you on Monday evening!!

Have a fun week-end Susan.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images