Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: Sewing and Quilting... AUGUST, what are we working on?

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 211, Views: 869
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9225817

We came from here : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1269127/#new

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9225824

I finally after all these years ---- I'm first in a thread!!!!!

I tore my sewing room apart and am weeding out, gifting, donating. and saving for me to do. What a mess. I have soo much stuff - I need to find a newbie that could use some rulers and other notions...I've been blessed to be gifted with all kind of things and I have such a smalll spsace now. Need to share.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9225905

holding up my hand, Barb for the NJ sewing room. Very sparce here as yet

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9226038

Back in Feb I took a class with Bonnie Hunter, figured I would make a quilt for my son's 25th birthday.Ha!, that was back in April. Finally got back to working on it this past weekend, but hey, Christmas is coming, right? Still need to make more blocks. These are just laid on top of my cutting table. I am making progress.

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Click the image for an enlarged view.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9226061

omg that is work will be beautiful
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9226078

Love the colors and pattern it it making. Nice job!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9226184

Robin - that is going to be so beautiful. I love the pattern the blocks make as well. Nice job. How big will it be?

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9226207

I like Bonni Hunter's scrap blocks in Quiltmaker. Here it looks like you do the stars in strips and everything else in strips

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 1, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9226278

Home again to find some lovely fat envelopes from swaps in other threads.
I need to get back into my exercise class. It's called Silver Sneakers and my health ins. pays for it. I really enjoy going and feel so much better when I do. I'd been going 3 days a week M-W-F, until I went to TN. I'll be back in class Fri. I'll need a couple days, I took a spill in the garage while loading my car. Skinned up a bit, nothing serious but I sure am sore in a few weird places. Sitting in the car driving for 4 1/2 hours didn't help much, stiffened up quite bit. Made for fun unloading the car.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9226339

Oh Karen - I'm sorry to hear of your fall. Maybe a nice warm/hot soak would do you some good. We only have a shower here and I haven't had the luxury of a soaking bath in five years...
guess I'll just have to talk Norm into a hotel for a night!!!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 1, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9226449

Karen - take care of yourself, please - and no more falls!

That quilt is beautiful, Robin!! Looking forward to seeing the finished project...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9226481

I've taken ONE bath in YEARS and that was because my husband talked me into it. I hated it. I don't have the patience for it or something. I love my shower!!

The star pattern is very nice. I'll bet that would lend itself well to the "like a jelly roll exchange" fabric swap.

Karen, can you take some anti-inflamatories?? Like Aleve etc? check with you MD, if you can't take them they will speed up the recovery from stiffness etc.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 1, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9226488

I usually shower but we do have a huge footed tub. Found it in an alley when we were building here and had it refinished. The kids love it. I just might soak a bit tonight. I look worse than I am, I'm one of those that get cuts and bruises easily...thin skin and thin blood. Usually I have no idea how I cut myself it's just there.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9226527

Karen, hope you are feeling better from the fall. I didn't fall but did manage to bruise myself on the ladder...not sure how but I have a whopper!! Babysat the granddaughters yesterday afternoon and we built tents using blankets and the dining room chairs. Had a blast until I got out of bed this morning. What ever made me think I could get down and crawl around on the floor like they were? Must have had a serious "blond" moment. Confession: I loved doing it.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 1, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9226692

lol Marion - great confession there! I'll just BET you loved it, and would do it again, right? lol
Pat - when we rebuilt our bathroom, I had them put in a soaker tub, a blue pot light above, and a step up with a wide area around it so I could put my wine glass there, at my elbow height... I really pampered myself in the tub, with scented bubble bath, etc...oh, and the step up had a door so I could store "stuff" in it.
I usually just shower now since we moved here, cuz now we have a tiny tub, and it's just not "pampering" big enough...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9226809

Had a steam bath put in with our recent renovation. it's an enclosed jacuzzi tub with all sorts of shower heads and then can fill it with steam. It's DH's toy. Still has a leak so can't use it much yet. I rarely have time to take a bath. Just want to hop in the shower, get the dirt off, and move on tot he next thing on my to-do list.

Today I plan to get a lot of sewing done. Would like to finish up the 2 I'm working on.

The baby's color scheme is pink & grey. Can't find any babyish print I like with a grey mixed in. FOund a jungle print but it sure didn't look like something for a baby girl.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9226843

I should have fought harder not have the big tub we have in our bathroom. I never used the ones in any other house and I didnt want it here. Could have had a great corner vanity, bigger closet, anything. It now is just a big storage bin for the beach towels and bigger stuff that takes up the linen closet. Its a pain to clean, it takes a ton of water, and I have to fill it twice because I want anything yucky that has built up in all the hoses to get blown out before I get in. Im sure it feels good once you finally get in, but just give me a shower with great water pressure and all is well.

They have a sewing machine for the todays special on HSN. Not looking for a machine, but they do such neat things when demonstrating it. I sure wish I could sew like they show. Martha Stewart is on now, I just had to walk away. Everything looks so easy till I get it home.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9226878

http://www.joann.com/warm-natural-cotton-batting-queen-size-90-x-40yds/xprd780191/?utm_source=joann&utm_medium=email&utm_term=1daydeal_ancr&utm_content=HTML&utm_campaign=20120802-D&rid=20120802-D

SALE alert! One day only sale, today only batting on sale at Joann's! Warm & Natural Cotton Batting-Queen Size 90'' x 40yds
# 1889351
reg. 429.99
sale 209.99
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9226885

They also have the smaller amounts half price online. Thats a little better than half price.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 2, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9226902

Marion sounds like great fun. Great grandson Brody age 3 in TN would pile in with me every morning. (actually all three would but he was usually first, and the other two wanted to cuddle) He was all about playing. I said to him "I'm not your play toy". He replied" Yes you is". Soooo I had quite a few "mysterious" bruises show up, not that he was unduly rough just that I bruise so easily. It was extra hard for me to leave this time, their family is in an upheaval and the kids were so clinging to me.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9226915

And a $2.95 shipping code for JoAnn's: FAC216
I just ordered some King packages since the bolt had not been on sale. Have till midnite to see if I can manage to purchase a bolt.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9226950

I wish I had $200 I could afford to spend! Between needing new tires, a truck battery that exploded, a frig for the renter AND replacing the washing machine that went out... uuh no. Concentrating on getting the BILLS paid!!! LOL
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9227011

http://www.happyapplequilts.com

Check this one out ladies...I love this shop. Nice fabric and they ship very fast!!!

Disclaimer: Not responsible for any trouble anyone gets into. LOL

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9227124

Pat, it always seems to go that way, when it rains it pours!

Oh Marion, you had to post that didn't you! :-)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9227153

I swear there is a moratorium on baby girl fabrics!!!! None in either LQS. Times like this I really miss those large PA quilt shops that had EVERYTHING!!!! I did buy a "wedding" fabric that has off white bg and small pink hearts & heart outlines. It will fit in the quilt somewhere.
Had a very nice chat with the guy who does the LA quilting there. He is very nice & encouraged me to bring any top I was having problems deciding on how to quilt.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9227256

Oh Jean!!! THAT fabric sounds WONDERFUL!!! You know how I am about heart fabric!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9227290

Marion, YOU are killing me!!! I went to that site... I can NOT buy, I can NOT buy... no... no... *sniff*.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 2, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9227481

tsk tsk tsk Marion - seems there are a few sistahs you're killing off LOL Me included! Wish I could convince myself that I had the $$ AND that it's ok to order online... Neither seem to work for me lol
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2012

Post #9227611

Susan, I have not had any problems with ordering from that shop...quick delivery time and more than pleased with the fabrics.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 2, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9227752

I mean... convincing myself doesn't work... I'm a "tough sell" LOL
I use online banking all the time, and know it's secure, but it's too easy for me to buy online, and not have to think about it, so I don't

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9228050

Ya, that's like me and the debit card. I was MUCH better watching my pennies when writing a CHECK than using the debit card. I'm going back to debit ONLY. I will use my debit card now in the same circumstances as I would have had to use a credit card. At the gas pump, online order etc.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9228066

Oh it does take discipline with the debit card for sure. Trust me I have to set up a budget and stick to it...husband's 401K (retirement pension) is only disbursed once a year so it could be feast or famine at this household. I have this horrible (?) habit of putting all my change in a coffee can and when it gets really heavy I roll it...that is my "play" money. Then I splurge on fabric...on sale of course. Don't even get me started on plants and what I would spend if I had the extra money!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 3, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9228104

My card works both ways as credit and debit. Comes out of the same account, no interest, no fee. My Credit Union told me it was safer to use it as a credit card, no chance of someone "seeing" my password. So unless I want to get some cash back (no ATM fees), I use it as credit.

Marion, I'm always surprised at how fast "spare" change adds up. We save it in a container too and once a year we take the younger grands and the greats to a place we have called "Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum". This place is packed with arcade games from antiques to the latest. If we go on a weekday we have the place nearly to our selves and for a few hours the kids have a ball.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9228109

Karen, mine is also a Debit/Credit and much like you I am very selective where and how it is used.

Oh but doesn't it add up quickly!!! Kim laughs at me about my big old coffee can full of change ..that is until I decide to empty it!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 3, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9228130

We actually sent my parents to Hawaii for a week on change saved by us, my siblings and our children for a year.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9228357

I have decided I am not buying any more fabric or sewing stuff, well except for the batting I ordered from Joanns (I believe I owe a "Thank You" to Jean for letting us know about that one). I am moving out of the basement of the townhouse I have been in (one large room) for the past 2 &1/2 years and into a 2 room 'master suite' with a private bathroom and a private entrance. Will still have to share the kitchen but it will give me more space and a bedroom too. Closer to work also. So no buying anything until I am in there and have seen what I have.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9228360

my late DH loved saving his coins. We did Arizona one year with the change. Hotel "El Tavor" at the Canyon and Sedona, some cheaper motels.wonderful trip. I hated wrapping them. My coins are in my ourse, thats it.

Did a good # however with the fabric site...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9228363

that is wonderful news especially the closer to work part. $ in the bank with gas prices what they are. More fabric, LOL. Moving is not pretty however.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 3, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9228418

Camping (tenting) stuff's packed and sitting on the deck, waiting for a bit of Bob's input, and his packing of the truck... it's after 2pm, and he's still heading home. He ran some errands after work, and should be home soon...
Rain's stopped and should be sunny & warm/hot the rest of the holiday weekend!

chat with you on Monday evening!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 3, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9228519

Have a fun week-end Susan.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9228521

Good luck Robin. Hopefully you will have more room & sunlight!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 3, 2012

Post #9228522

Hubby should be up here in about two hours, oh yeah, he got told they wanted to keep him through Aug. now. Looks like I will be making him a big batch of pickled beets this week-end. I just ordered the beets from our local farm market. I try to make him enough to last the year. I like to use the small beets and make them whole but will make some sliced from the bigger beets. He will eat some every day, he likes them that much.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9228525

I LOVE beets, any way, shape, or form. DH cringes when I mention beets!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 3, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9228561

Mmmmm we love them too. Our youngest son used to beg for them when he was just little. He used to go to a neighbors and help weed their garden so he could have some raw beets to eat. He'd come home with beet juice running down his shirt, scared me the first time I thought it was blood.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9228596

Robin, I hope the move is a happy and smooth one!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9228830

i use pickeled beets for color combo with roast and such. you know red and green and orange and and, they,do get eaten nota fav.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 3, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9228893

Sadly beets are yet another thing I have to avoid. The list of what I can eat is getting shorter by the day. You'd think I would be wasting away as nothing much stays with me these days.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9228957

I'm sorry your food choices are getting smaller Karen. That sucks. Mostly I just have to chew, chew, chew. I'll be able to eat most things eventually.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 4, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9229145

Beets are ready to pick up, need to go get them and put them on to boil. I'll make them but he has to peel them.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9229260

Oh Karen, lucky you getting fresh beets. I can't remember the last time I saw some nor the first time I cooked them as a new bride! LOL Yeah, the old "white beets" mess. My late husband loved them and so does Kim...she also has to limit them in her diet. I do fix them at rare times as a special treat.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9229328

I have always wanted to like beets. Keep trying them, but for some reason, they taste like straight up dirt to me.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9229345

LOL.. "Straight up dirt", that's good one Pam.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9229353

Gotta eat a peck of dirt before you die!! It might as well be beets!!!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9229362

My Mom always told me dirt make you healthy!! Hummm, now was she right or wrong? Who knows.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 4, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9229378

Bought 1 peck and decided to go back and get another peck. Lots & lots of pickled beets.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9229463

Do they have an 'earthy' taste to you all. Is that how they are suppose to be? They are so pretty I just want to like them so bad.

Maybe a recipe would help?????? Ive just boiled them and tried them like a baked potato. I think they need another flavor to compliment them. Just butter didnt do it.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9229482

Could I get one of you to send me your pickled beet recipe? Hubby loves them, and I've not made them before from scratch. I watched Alton Brown make a refrigerator recipe with sliced onions and tarragon wine vinegar a while back... looked easy enough!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 4, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9229522

Here's my grandmother's recipe, the one I always use.
About 2 quarts of beets, wash, put in pan and boil until cooked through, dump into sink and let cool until you can handle. Peel (skins will slip easily). either slice or quarter depending on size.

1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
3/4 cup vinegar
Mix together in pan heat and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.

Put 1/2 of beets in a sealable container. (Glass or plastic even glad containers work) sprinkle on 10 or 12 whole cloves, add 1 whole cinnamon stick. Repeat with rest of beets, cloves, cinnamon stick. Pour over water, sugar, vinegar mixture to cover beets. (if not enough mix a bit more) put on lid and store in fridge for a couple weeks. Now its a matter of taste when they are done. Try a bite and see how you like it. You can also add one or more hard cooked eggs if you like them pickled. Store in fridge until gone. Ours have lasted fine for a year.

You can play with the recipe to get a taste you like...as you mentioned tarragon vinegar and onions etc.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2012 3:46 PM

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9229551

you can do the same ratio of W/V/S for pickled green beans. Seal them in in boling water for 20 min.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9229593

Thanks! Now to just see if I can find some fresh beets at the farm stand, or I may just try to plant some seed... looks like there are a few good planting days coming up according to Farmer's.. Was just at WM looking at canning jars (pints), and jelly jars. Those little squatty ones are so cute! My youngest just sent us a text this morning, saying that they had picked 250 ears of yellow corn from the garden, and hadn't even gotten to the bi-color's yet... fortunately, he has friends at work that are buying from him. So far this makes between 5 and 600 ears. Got a feeling that he's bringing some with him in a couple weeks. LOL Good thing, a dozen is going for 4.95 here!

Helene, thanks for the idea of the beans! I used to make Dilly Beans for the ex, a pickled green bean with fresh dill sprigs in the jar. Not a fan of them myself, but the kids and the ex ate them all! I'm sure Hubby would like them, he can go thru a gallon jar of dill pickles by himself. I used to make a corn relish, with fresh corn, onions, red/green peppers, etc years ago, but don't have the recipe any longer. He said he would try it, but I hate to make 7-9 pint recipe if he isn't going to like it. The ex and the boys used to put it in their bowl of bean soup for zip.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9229616

My Mom would make Harvard Beets - in a thick sweet sauce.
I like mine just cooked with butter, pepper, & garlic as seasoning.

DH says they taste like dirt. I think they taste like beets!!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 4, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9229709

Mmmmm Harvard beets were my favorite. Beets are like squash, one of those things I like just about any way they are fixed.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 4, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9229803

This is hubby Walt, with this years beets. Small jar is 1/2 gallon, That's for a friend. I think the big jar must be at least 2 gallons. There's another 1/2 gallon of the tiny beets that we left whole. Now all I need to do is get him to wait a couple of weeks for them to develop their flavor.

Thumbnail by siliolegma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9229806

I'm one of those people that prefer veggies as simple as it comes, maybe a drizzle of butter and salt/pepper, but that's it. Once in a while I'll melt some cheese for Hubby, but prefer plain so I can actually taste the veggie, instead of whatever covers it up. Weird, I know! Although my DIL's mixed veggie casserole is really good, but that's only when I visit home...

Baby beets with a little butter - YUMMY! Hated them when I was growing up, but love them now. Same with steamed cabbage - as long as it's not cooked to death to resemble yellow slime! Spaghetti squash is really good too, if it's cooked correctly.
We had a really big supper tonite - corn from the Farmer's Market and a bowl of cantaloupe LOL But boy was it good!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2012

Post #9229808

I don't know, Karen... he looks pretty possessive with that 2 gallon jar..! LOL

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 4, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9229813

Corn, maters, zucchini, & green beans all from the farm market for dinner. Yum.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9229816

the local Market sells some type of green beans that taste like they've been soaked in sugar. Mine never tasted anywhere near that. I use them to make a big skillet of garlic beans, could eat the whole thing by myself!
Seems like the tomatoes I've been getting from them don't hold well, or they have bad places inside, but look perfect on the outside. I do have a couple big ones left for bacon/tomato sammies tomorrow. Found a recipe last week, using thick slices of zucchini topped with mozz/provolone cheese, baked. Can't remember now whether it used tomato slices or not, but sounded pretty good. Love grilled veggies!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9229838

Karen, nice picture but I wouldn't hold my breathe on him waiting til the flavors set! No, I am one who doesn't think beets taste like dirt..taste like beets to me. I love Harvard Beets but is a no go now with our diet.

You all are making me so hungry now. I want a big plate of just veggies to top off my liverwurst and dill pickle sandwich. I buy fresh turnip roots...no ladies not parsnips but what southerns call turnips with greens that can be cooked. I steam the turnips until they are soft and sprinkle Everglades Seasoning on them. Yummmy! This seasoning is similar to the Greek seasoning you see in the stores.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9229880

nothing wrong with steamed turnips, (and a drizzle of butter) we've even mashed them in with potatoes. Parsnips are good mashed too, old cookbooks mentioned them 'whipped' in the menu sections. I'll let you keep the liverwurst... LOL
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9230006

I've never had turnips or parsnips. I'm having a tomato sandwich for breakfast with the fresh ones I got at the farm stand yesterday. They are so red & sweet.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 5, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9230040

I'm with you on the liverwurst Marion, We used to get the best from a German sausage shop down state. Love pate too, I have a recipe that will make your arteries slam shut just making it. LOL
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9230157

My kind of person Jean..fresh tomato sandwich for breakfast. I am just sick at all the tomatoes that are grown in this area and the price is so high now.

Karen the funny thing is I don't like liver but love a liverwurst sandwich every now and then...something I guess Ross taught me. He loved them and I tried his one time. Hooked!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9230171

I'm just the opposite Marion. I love the liver and don't care for liverwurst!!! Love my liver with crisp bacon and sauted onions-----steamed green beans and a dinner roll. NO potato as the roll is the carb...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9230183

Barb that is the way my Mom and sister eat liver but nope...just can't do it!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9230213

Went to publix to get some beets. A 'bunch' of three rather small beets was 3.99. I skipped them but did get some turnips. I rather enjoy them, either in mashed potatoes or just boiled with salt pepper and butter. Wrapped a pork tenderloin in bacon and it ready for the grill tonight, going to have the turnips then. Publix has the tenderloin on sale so I like to throw some in the freezer. Its also the week they have the bigger stouffer lasagna for 3.99 instead of 7.99. I just love that stuff for 3.99...so easy when nobody comes home till 8 at night.

Marion...Altho I wont eat liverwurst..I too put pickles on my bologna sandwhiches

This message was edited Aug 5, 2012 10:46 AM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9230286

Just the word "liver" makes my nose crinkle at the memory of the stench!!!! YUK!!!!

Back to sewing. I have the borders cut for my triangle quilt and have cut pieces to make a baby quilt. Taking a break from sewing to paint the foyer.

Oh, was in Kohl's this AM with my 15% off coupon & it is tax free back to schools shopping here this weekend. Decided to roam back to the baby dept & see what was on clearance. I got 6 adorable outfits. One was a set of 3 Pooh onesies and 2 had 3 pieces (onesie, pants, jacket). All but one was originally $24; the other $16. I got all of those for (drum roll here) $25!!!!! Hopefully baby Kayla will like what I picked out for her. I think baby clothes are just adorable. I was upset when my cousin's girls grew up.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9230289

here in NJ we devour "Heirlooms" love purple cherokee.
Drench calfs liver in wondra with salt and pepper added saute on one side, put pressed, then fine chopped garlic on the upper side turn and saute.serve with mashed potatos and green bean/garbanzola bean salad.
Fry some finely chopped bacon until crisp,need to add a bit of butter saute some sliced onion in this adding a peeled rough chopped apple, salt pepper to taste and cook chicken livers in this. Unusual but so good.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 5, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9230328

Mmmmm sounds good to me Helene.
I got my beets at a local farm market $8.00 for a peck. Actually ended up getting 2 pecks, hubby wanted a jar of the tiny ones and I wanted to send some to my aunt for her to pickle too.

Looks like our "focus" for August is food not sewing. LOL
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9230375

My foyer is painted and now I need to make the pasta salad for dinner. I add "slightly" steamed broccoli and what ever other raw veg I have on hand. Today it will be cucumber, cherry tomatoes, olives, and colored peppers.
Having that with turkey meat loaf ( I don't eat anything that has 4 legs (no 3 legged cows either)) and tossed salad.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9230466

We had a place back home with a drive-through that sold deep fried chicken livers by the pint. Can't believe how many of those we used to go through going to picnics and impromptu cookouts! They were really good, not sure what the seasonings were, but they sure didn't taste like chicken livers! Just to find liver and onions around here, you have to search out the Mom n Pop places midweek..

Paid $5 for a small seeded watermelon yesterday, cut it open today and it's only a dark pink and tasteless. It was heavy, yellow bottomed and had a great thump.. all the signs that usually tell me whether they're good or not, but not this one. I'm sure if I collected all the seeds that are in it, they would account for part of the weight! LOL Mom said the Mennonite family next door are growing the small seed type watermelons and even with their irrigation and fertilizing methods, the man told them to only eat the middles out of the melons, as the rest of it wasn't worth the time to mess with... I want a big seeded old time melon like I had when I was a kid!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9230565

Yes, we had part of GREAT watermelon yesterday in Yakima. Hermiston, OR grows some of the best watermelons in the US, that's were this one was from. Hermiston is least than an hour from where I grew up. .

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9230573

Back in IN, when Jackson County melons are ready, you can't beat them! Sometimes you can find a trucker who brings some this way, but you almost have to be there when he stops.. They are really sweet, something about the ground there. But since I haven't been back to IN this summer, I'll have to do with what I can find here. So far, I'm not impressed, but I think the weather has played a big part in quality this year. Doesn't seem to be much flavor in melons or tomatoes. However, the beans and corn are wonderful!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9230639

i was reading 2 weeks ago to look at the stem if it is wilted turning to brown good sign for it to be ripe if the stem leans toward being green and wilted picked too soon. not ripe So we tested this at the farm and had good luck. I was thaught to knock on it for hollow sound that doesn't seem to be correct in this electronic age.We are having an awful time with corn this year to starchy and not tender. Probably the heat.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9231835

What quilting computer programs do any you have? I priced EQ, $189 and I'm hoping for something cheaper to start with but in all likehood I probably should just get it and get it over with. I am not certain I would be happy with the options of a "lesser" a program. ; What are you thoughts?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2012

Post #9231880

I found EQ 6 for MUCH cheaper than 7, does 7 REALLY do that much more than 6? should I consider buying and using 6 to decide if I NEED to upgrade to 7, IF I like it and will use it?? What da ya'all think?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2012

Post #9231881

I have EQ-5 & Quilt Pro 4. To tell the truth, I don't use either very often. I do better with graph paper & pencil.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9231883

The EQ upgrades aren't "inexpensive".

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9231888

I understand, I just need to know if any of you have had 6 & 7 and can honestly say it's worth the difference in purchase price? I can buy EQ6 for more than $100 less, but I don't want to "waste" my money if I honestly don't use and enjoy it at ANY price!! LOL
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9231891

I think Barb & Kizmo both have the recent one.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9231896

I found EQ 6 for $70, that is quite a savings, but I don't want to regret it. I'm TORN!! LOL... coming up with $70 is LOT easier than $189.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9232050

no, I don't have EQ. I bought a set of DVDs that are more for training purposes to use BEFORE you invest the money. But I couldn't justify spending the money until I get much, much better. Right now, I use graph paper and colored pencils, make a test block from scraps and go from there. I found a couple links to download other programs online, but they were just basic designwork, or were free only for a specified time..

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9232076

Yes, that's one of the reason I'm considering Wizard, it's only about $30. I'm relatively certain that it won't meet my needs very long but it's not much of an investment to try... still thinking!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9232149

I have EQ7 and I don't use it much. I never had EQ6 so I can't compare...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 6, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9232541

Beets, swiss chard, turnips, parsnips, spinach, cabbage... sugar snap peas - you name the veggie, I'm sure to LOVE it (raw, lightly cooked with butter, or boiled...).
It's all good!!!!!!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2012
11:16 PM

Post #9232584

Barb, the box came and you packed so many wonderful things in there!!! I simply LOVE the paper pieced pumpkins! I have not decided whether to prepare each one seperate with additional borders and use as a little wall hangers to hang from the office numbers for each of the offices at work or combine 9 of them into a larger wall hanger for my office. I think they would make good practice pieces for "quilt as you go", I'll let you know when I decide for sure.

I'll get you a check out in the mail for postage. I can't wait to get the Tiger panels incorporated into a piece for my son. THANKS again!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9232650

Just popping in for a few minutes to let you know that lightning struck a big old willow tree down at the lakefront. Three days later (right after Jack finished mowing under it) it split in half and fell over across the yard and into the lake. Thank God no one was hurt and no major damage to us or the neighbor property. My youngest sister and her DH are helping us take it down and clean up. Spent all day yesterday cutting it up and dragging it up the hill and across the road for town pickup. Quite a bit left to do to make the remainder safe.

Here's how it looks after yesterday's cleanup.

The good news is that since the woodchuck departed I have lettuce.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9232660

Thank heaven no one was hurt Mittsy!! I remember that willow. It was so pretty there.
Glad to see the critter is gone-that lettuce looks delicious!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9232783

Anyone heard from Thunder??? I know she had some computer issues but that was months ago.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9232819

Jean. Linda Kay posted in the other building (maybe here also, don't know for sure) that she would not be able to get a new computer until this fall. She told LK to tell everyone she misses them!

Mittsy, I, too, am so glad no one was hurt. Beautiful view of the lake. Oh my when can I snitch some of that gorgeous lettuce for a salad? Hope all your family is doing well...you too!

Had grandmother duties yesterday...not a complaint...it was time to take the school list and gather up all items needed for the year. Funny how we take some thing for granted and to a child it can be a major milestone. My youngest got to have "skinny" pencils this year instead of fat pencils...everyone in Target knew it!!!! A real notebook you can put papers in, sharp (well sort of) pointed scissors and your very own eraser. Yes my sides are sore from the laughter! Days like yesterday makes me stop and realize just how special some small inexpensive items can be in our lives. The older one it is just routine now.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9232823

Marion, I took my Grandsons shopping for supplies, and they were disappointed, when they could not get the fancy folders, they had to be a certain color, with no decorations!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9232832

Lk, know what you mean LK. The girls go to a Catholic school so that has never been an issue...plain from the start. I am beginning to think that uniforms in all school also would be a good idea. The stories Kim tells of what the kids are wearing to school are unreal...just 2 days in to the year. I know they are "testing" the waters but some of the outfits are just not fit to go out of the house wearing.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9232854

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273909/
I thought you guys would enjoy this
this is on the recipe forum, scroll to the bottom to see the quilted table toppers Laurel made for her DD wedding with fabrics from dresses of her child and fabrics she may have had. Planning to take off all sashes and making a wedding quilt for the couple. This certainly is a wonderful mother.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9232855

yes, sad but true Marion.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9232871

Helene, I love that idea, I bet she was so pleased with it!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9232928

her DD didn't know until she saw the table settings. Yes, very touching.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 7, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9233006

What a wonderful memory quilt.
I had made my daughters gown and her brides maids & flower girls gowns, 11 in all. She had 4 flower girls because we had 4 little girls the same age in the family and couldn't exclude any of them. I took left over fabrics from all the gowns and made her a quilt. Not very practical as it was all satins, but she did have a photo of each of her babies taken on the quilt.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9233007

What a sweet surprise!!! That eventual quilt will become a treasured memory maker for sure...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9233142

For anyone with a COSTCO membership... the 12 1/2 X 12 1/2 "craft boxes" that JoAnn's sells are 5/$19 at COSTCO. I love these for storing completed blocks.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9233171

Thanks for the heads up on the boxes at Costco Jean. I will have to check ours when I go this weekend.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9233176

http://www.quiltingdiscoveries.com/quilts/circleofhope.html

round is so in. keepsake quilting shows this in their catalog pg 68 in blues and purple, stunning

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9233224

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9233490

I just got my catalog and I see that quilt Helene. For some reason, circles aren't doing it to me this year. Maybe because I did cathedral windows last year. I'm doing very simple for a while... Give the old head a rest!!!!
Edited to add: however I just love the Cactus flower table runner on page 17!!!

This message was edited Aug 7, 2012 6:57 PM
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9233507

I have made my way to this thread after a heads up regarding my post on the Recipe forum re: the quilt face toppers I did for DD's post nuptial wedding party. Let me say right off, I am humbled by the comments from the expert quilters here. Thank you so much for your responses. I have posted, on occasion, over the years on the Quilting forum. I am a needle worker that expresses my quilting interest in stitching. I am not experienced with machine work or the high level of piecing and machine skills shared here. That said, I will continue to concentrate on my hand work. I would be happy to share the progress of the pieces. Those too wide borders will get trimmed down to appropriate sashes and joined, then framed up with a cotton batting and hand quilted. It's a "flying by the seat of my pants" project. May take a few years.

Indeed, the fabrics have history as they came from my maternity clothes, my mom's nightgowns and fabric stash cabinets, her older two brothers' surfing shorts, her naming dress, her preschool dress (that I made), her bat mitzvah weekend and the many fabrics that she and I created for her high school plays, etc.. The only stipulation was that they were 100% cotton, and that is, IMO, the only fabric for an heirloom piece. This will be framed up with heirloom cotton. I have not decided on the backing but would like to use leftovers and expect that it will take me a few years to quilt. I love traditional needle patterns on the quilts I collect but generally stick to outline hand work with a few diversions when quilting my own work. I am also not averse to adding hand embroidery or applique as that is my focus. Please wish me well as I attempt to continue to thread Piecemaker 10's.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 7, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9233536

Please, Please, Please, your work is beautiful because it comes from the heart. At what ever time the quilt is finished it will be a treasured keepsake. Most of us are not experts by any means. We do a lot of "flying by the seat of our pants". Most here feel there is no wrong way of doing things. Quilting is a fairly new hobby for me. I've done mostly clothing for children & grandchildren. I used to love making them "heirloom clothing" with smocking, lace insertion, and embroidery. Now these old eyes just can't seem to manage the fine detail. The quilting I do is a far cry from some of what is done in here for the same reason. However what I do is done with love and so far the grands and greats are happy to have it.

This is a grand group of friends, we love our swaps and trading help and we love having new friends join in.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9233650

Maypop, WELCOME!! We're so glad to see you here and hope you will come often and share your experiences with us.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2012
3:39 AM

Post #9233865

Laurel is one of the very knowledgeable ones on the Orchid forum. Her Orchids are stunning.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9233879

Well, that said , I must pop over there as she has popped over here!!!
Welcome Laurel - and as Karen said, we are all just plodding along with whatever we choose to work on at the time. We do have a lot of fun and chat almost continuously. You are so welcome here and I, too, just love the table toppers you made for your daughter's wedding. It will make a spectacular quilt and just knowing the love that is in every stitch will make it treasured forever. Enjoy the process no matter how long it takes!!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9233933

Laurel - what a wonderful idea for an anniversary quilt! And the memory will be stunning! she'll be able to look at it and remember each piece of her childhood fabric! So charming!
So glad you joined us.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 8, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9234016

I can remember when we would get a quilt from my great granny, how much fun it was to search for familiar fabrics. My mom and grandmother both sent granny scraps so most of what was in the quilts matched the clothes we wore. Some by the way from feed sacks. I can remember also my mom giving me a few quarters and sending me to the feed store to buy feed sacks. I thought it great fun to pick out sack and later to have a dress from "fabric" I chose. I don't remember whether there was great artistry in those quilts, but there was certainly love.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 8, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9234025

Well bummer, I sent Happy Apple Quilts an order for $37.00 in fabrics. Today i get a message they are refunding $21.00 with no specifics as to what I'm not getting. No biggie I guess as I was just stash building but it would be helpful to know in case I decided to order more.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9234046

for a moment I thought I overstepped in mentioning Laurels table toppers, but I see all is well.Laurel when it's done it'll be precious.

Barb, I do love that table runner by J Beyer.Are you getting it? Saw her own bedspread somewhere in a mag. OMG to die for.

Karen that is soo " No good" as I ordered from them as well. Mostly for pot holders for the quilt shop in sarasota fl. as I owe her some work for finishing a quilt for my DD.

Oh, Jean, now I connect, as I have been in and out of the Orchids forum, since I personally know Fred and Jim.
Small DG world.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9234100

I want to add my welcome to all the others Laurel. Barb said it best...we do have fun and learn so much from each other. No longer strangers but family through sewing and quilting! Love the idea for the table and what a wonderful gift those will make.

Karen, I am shocked about Happy Apple Quilts not telling you why. I had placed my order before I posted the link and it came yesterday. I didn't get some of my fabrics either but they did call me on Saturday to tell me why. In fact, several filler pieces I had ordered were already sold out. The one that called did say the online response had been unbelievable.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 8, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9234165

Well Marion, it's probably all your fault, you went and told everyone about the site. LOL
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9234180

I take all the blame for sure. It is a site that is worth checking every now and then.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9234238

Thank you all for the warm welcome. As I said, I have popped in and posted now and again over the years. Ya'll may have forgotten me. Because I hand quilt and embroider, I'm as slow as a slug. I check out what you are up to here and there and marvel at how fast you turn out such beautiful work!

The idea for the quilt came from one of Daughter's favorite children's books http://www.amazon.com/The-Keeping-Quilt-Patricia-Polacco/dp/0689844476#reader_0689844476 It's a very beautiful story. Since she was married under her prayer shawl, which is not quilted but made by me thirteen years ago, I wanted to make a quilted remembrance in honor of her marriage. Well, there ended up being more toppers needed for tables than a king quilt so maybe a baby blanket will be in their future. :)

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 8, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9234395

As a many times over grandma & great grandma, I would certainly agree with a baby quilt. Or maybe a cozy couch throw for chilly evenings or to just look pretty.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9234459

Karen - too bad you aren't getting all the fabric you wanted... strange they didn't say which ones were sold out...

Laurel - guess you & I are the "slow pokes" then, cuz I embroider and hand quilt (not too well, I might add... just learning).
Happy to welcome you to our group, cuz we have all styles and speeds of quilters here lol
Some of us are fond of UFOs and others are so quick that it hardly seems they start before they're finished LOL

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 8, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9234639

I'm disappointed Susan, but I was just ordering to build my Christmas fabric stash, so it's not like it was something I really needed. I'm wanting to get Christmas tree skirts put away for each of my grands as they get married and/or set up housekeeping. I have 5 done 10 more to go, youngest are still pre-teens so I know I have time. I will just feel better when they are done and stashed with their moms, right now I feel pretty good and am still able but you never know what the future holds. That's why I request Christmas fabrics in the swaps I'm involved in. I will get two tree skirts from the Dresden plate swap alone.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9234993

That is cool Karen, great idea.
Laurel, I do remember seeing some of your posts but know you are not a consistent contributor to these threads. We do WANT you to feel welcome, no matter how often or infrequent you stop in to post.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9235352

morning ladies, had a quick minute to jump in here before I leave. Check out the link for quilts made from men's ties... 2nd row - 4th from the left, I had seen this recently but can't remember where. just noticed it on the link page so thought I would post for anyone interested...
Have a great day!

[HYPERLINK@]

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9235409

AWwwwwwww ... no link! LOL try again when ya can Kathy.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9235414

Pat - did you send me the ties???

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 9, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9235424

Sorry I tried to copy/paste the link and it wouldn't for me either. Hmmm worked in the other house.

was trying to add Kathy's link for the quilts from ties. However if you do a Google search for "quilts made from ties" it'll come up.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2012 8:52 AM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9235433

Not sure what you were trying to do Karen, but it didn't work.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9235458

Jean, they have not gone out but DH did make it to the PO finally get me the box. I have tomorrow off work and its "on the list!"

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 9, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9235558

Just got my order from Happy Apple Quilts. Included was a note that started out...Go Blue! (I'm assuming "Jean" is a former MI resident LOL). There was an apology for the fabrics that had been sold out, but included was an extra yard of one I ordered and 2 fat quarters of Christmas fabric at no extra cost.

Needless to say, I'm very pleased and will certainly order from them again.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9235584

Karen, that is good news to hear! I didn't want to mention the bonus items because of the ones that had sold out. I really didn't know what their policy would be. Yes, I have been more than pleased with all my dealing with them...they are very quick on refunds too. Well I have received them quickly.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9235585

Great customer service is always a good thing.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 9, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9235596

Shorter distance for you Marion as they are in FL too.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9235603

About a 5 hour drive--tons of road construction around that area so it really is a mess to travel through. I am not sure where the new shop is located as I haven't googled it so far but will one of these days.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9235741

Here ya go...
Well, it won't work for me either, but just google images for, "quilts made from men's ties"

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 9, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9236164

Is this the link?
http://huntsville.about.com/od/tips/a/silktiequilt.htm

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 9, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9236204

No but that's pretty cool too. If you Google and then click images, it brings up a bunch of things to do with ties.

Susan, so sorry about your job. It's hard for me to understand why they would rather go through the time and expense of hiring and training someone new than just paying the darned fee. Seems penny wise and pound foolish to me.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2012 8:42 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9236227

I joined the local Quilt Guild this evening. The ladies seemed really nice and the price was very reasonable. They donate a lot of items to a few local charities.

JAX quilt show is 20-21 Sep so lots to do with that. But they kept me out past my bedtime!!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 9, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9236229

re: the job I'm temping at - apparently in just over 2 years they've had 5 or 6 people in the job.
One of the managers (Jessica) said she knew from the start I was better than the rest and likely too good for the job. She also said "I don't know What they want..." Right now my boss, Darla, seems pretty pleased with me - she knows I'm a team player, and doing ok in the job. I have been there only a month... takes more time for me to know what is needed and where things are, after all...
Well, the agency is looking for another job for me.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 9, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9236233

btw - I'm still at the job until the 24th... at least until they find a perm replacement.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 9, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9236299

Hubby got told already to plan on staying through Sept. now.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 9, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9236345

lol you go girl!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9236437

sorry ladies, a lightning strike hit a transformer right as I was posting, maybe that's why it didn't take here. we were out of power again until late and I had already gone to bed... if you're still interested and this link doesn't work for you, I just did an image search on ' quilts made with men's ties '

[HYPERLINK@]
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9236445

Kathy - the link goes right back to this forum. Think the url needs to be posted, not the link.

Tomorrow is National Sewing Machine Day!!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9236477

used a different search engine, maybe this one will work. Not sure why next door took the same and it worked there? Not much of a computer geek, so I just copy and paste, hope it works... LOL

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=quilts made from men's ties&FORM=HDRSC2
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9236571

I was thinking ties would be a quick way to make the Dresden Plates.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9236572

Yep, Kathy, worked this time! Some great pictures, fun projects.

Jean, I have your ties all boxed up and ready for the post office. I took today off work to get caught up before I work the extra On-Call while my boss & coworker are out of town.

I've turned in my application 2 weeks before the deadline. The County Commissioner's have already approved the funding for my motel for 15 nights. Now all I have to do is wait and see if I'm selected to participate in the Geratric Specialist training. We're short cars at work so I'm being "encouraged" to take my own car and submit the billing for mileage. No small deal as it's 200 miles away and by the time I make 3 seperate trips I'll have 1200 miles logged in.

Two weeks ago the doctor doubled my DH's antidepressant and that's an improvement. They have also given him a medication for nerve damage and he's getting much less severe phantom pains.

I hope to get some "catch up" done today while my DH cans cherries. AND some sewing!! Yeah!!! I need to sort thru the underwear drawer and closets and get rid of my "too big" clothes. I've dropped 80 pounds in the last 15 months. 40 over the year before the surgery in May, 40 since. Unfortunately, a lot more to go! I thought I'd try to sell some of the clothes to help pay for the replacements but... we'll see. I might get impatient and just donate them.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9236578

Pat - great news on the funding & weight loss!!!!! I have always had a weight issue and I'm big boned & solidly built. My most recent joke is that I have a closet full of clothes that will last me the next 30 years as long as I stay this size!!!! So no more diets for me!!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 10, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9236582

Wow Pat! Yay for you. I wish I'd have been able to go ahead with the surgery. I know I'd be in better shape, body, health and mind.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9236587

My weight has been up and down, HUGE losses and gains so my prayer is that I will lose enough to improve my health and stay STABLE at one weight. I was able to buy a large number of clothes used in various sizes so that has been a huge help with the cost of this change. A friend loaned me 8 dresses. I can wear 2 of them right now, and will be in several more in another month or so.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9236590

It's sure no Silver Bullet but it is a help. For one thing I am sicker than a dog if I eat to quickly or too big of bite etc.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9236592

very good idea.
I have to look into a quilt guild here. Do have a shop close to the house.

I want to share this with the new GM's to be.
My DD has step GDD who is 4 quite tiny for her age. Loves her MiMi, my DD.
She was here and then went off to art class (newly enrolled for 1 week) DD had to take her at 1PM. This is the kids 2nd day. My DD says to teacher I am... and this is Olivia. "Oh we know Olivia she takes over the class..." This is so cute because O has not been anywhere out of her Moms sight before. Very gregarious kid. Next day, Wed. update is. Oh we know Olivia she had every one made up in glitter makeup.
Olivia you must not do that." oh it's ok MiMi put it in my secret pocket in my backpack" . Mimi is under the bus. It was intendet to be found at home as sub. for candy which Olivia had asked for.Good thing is she wants to share.Should be my GD.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9236624

My post above was meant to be before pat posted.

I am glad that things at home are improving. When you see someone suffer and can;t help it is very draining

Way to go with the weight loss. Look at Al Roaker?spelling he has maintain now for years.When you can wear nice clothes right off the rack it gives mental strength. i am now PL or ladies M and love it as I order things on line and they fit. Not too many stores near here. Of course not too swelty because of age.

I did look at a health and fitness center, yesterday, here - in my 40's I was on crutches due to back issues, which I still have and had 2 huge cancer surgeries since, but can walk. I improved my strength with laps. At the time I took my DD s with me and they learned early to maintain their health ( both are a bit overweight now in their 50;s but they watch). So at this health center is a pool. I may join. In Fl i have a pool 20 steps from my place but don't use it much as I am sun sensitive and swimming bothers my eye.

Jean I did find nice chairs at "bizchairs" thanks for the info.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2012 10:03 AM
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9236836

Pat that is really good about the weight lose...it is hard when we get older..atleast it is for me. My DD seems to be doing fairly well with her but has more to go. The first 70 went quickly when she was put on the diabetic diet. I think I am finding her weight.

Been a busy day and I am going to just kick back and rest for a few...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9236855

I'm enjoying my day off. I have been watching my CRAFTY Quilting big quilts on small machine lesson. I watch some, do a little house work, etc and come back again... soaking my feet getting ready to debry the feet, don't look, it ain't gonna be pretty!! LOL
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9236897

I'm getting a real education here so far. Not sure it's about quilting. LOL

After all the time spent piecing toppers I've gone digging for unfinished projects to warm up stitching fingers. Found two pillow shams intended to go with an Amish quilt purchased many years ago.

I try to do several hours of aerobic work each day whether it's exercise, gardening or house work and reward myself with time to stitch. Procrastinating and the computer are the two most fattening things for me.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012

Post #9236933

Laurel, we talk about quilting, and a little of this, and a little of that. Just about anything really! Glad you found more quilting projects!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9236954

Ya, off topic sometimes RARELY happens on a thread, at other times you'd be hard pressed to guess what the thread started as if you didn't read the headline! We're so glad you have found us and hung around! You never know what we'll talk about next.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 10, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9236969

It's just like we're sitting in a big circle chit chatting about what ever pops into our heads. If we didn't feel such friendship I suppose we would just stay on topic, and not have nearly the fun.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9236977

Yes, we have the same thing going on a few other threads I am fond of. I'm enjoying the chatter and the friendships are evident. Thanks. It is a virtual stitch in.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9236981

lol so what was the topic? The weather? Sore feet? Grandkids? Perhaps to do with quilting!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9236982

I finished the quilt top for the baby. It's yellow, pink, & green. Then 30 min later get an email from DD saying "oh, the baby's room is purple, pink, & grey. Somehow they put purple in. Now I have a ton of purple fabric but opted for the green. Oh well!!!!

Then I made 4 simple burp cloths/small blankets from pieces of flannel I had here.

Now I'm debating making a pink & purple quilt also and putting some crazy colorful elephant fabrics on the back. All needs to be together & in the mail by end of the month to get to NH in time for the shower.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 10, 2012

Post #9237025

Elephants seem to be in right now. My grandson and his wife did the baby's room in an elephant theme...after they found out it's a girl. If you look in the stores, there are many cute girly outfits with elephants on them.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 10, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9237158

Quilted elephants, eh? How cute is that?
Yes, Laurel - we chat about everything under the sun, moon and stars! and some of us are "star quilters" (VBGrin) That wouldn't be me though I have fun with it!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 11, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9238304

I'm working on this:

I'm still learning to ride a bicycle - Well, last night Bob & I headed out to the park with our bikes, and I tried to pedal... but discovered the bike is too small for me. How strange for me to find a bike that's Too Short!
I wasn't able to do a full extension of my legs, so I was kinda awkward. I fell 2x in the 1/2 hour, and poor Bob was quite worried the first time - it bothers him to see me fall of course. I ended up with a tiny bruise as I couldn't fall far with the short bike
Anyway, hope to get out again tonight - with my full-sized bike!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9238561

Susan, you are certainly working at that bike issue!! Sorry to hear that you took a couple of falls.

I ordered the cheap Quilting program, Wizard. It's my "starter" and I hope to graduate to EQ7 sometime within the year.

I finished my Online class from CRAFTY "Quilting BIG projects on a small machine" Today I started cleaning and sorting my sewing room. I'm trying to find and organize some practice quilt tops so that I can build my confidence and skill so that I can tackle the King sized quilt top. I took out the navy, gold & white world/sun print quilt and measured it. It just doesn't "work". I'm thinking of picking it and turning it into 2 pieces, framing it with some big borders and turning it into 2 lap quilts or crib quilts. The squares are just too small and busy looking to be turned into a twin size quilt like I thought I would.

I'm buying a free motion foot on Monday. I'm going to have to find my sewing machine manuel to figure out how to drop the feed dogs. I certainly don't see anything labeled for "darning" or other indication where to adjust. It's the "Victoria" model of a Viking.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 11, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9238576

Oh, the falls were really nothing - soft grass, y'know!

Good for you on the Quilting program! How was the "Quilting BIG..." program? I would like to have taken it, but as always I steer away from purchasing online.

I MAY be coming out of the "dark ages" about online buying however... I bought parts for my car online just today cuz my mechanic says he does it from this company all the time, and it was the cheapest option he had for my car. He doesn't have internet, so I had to order it... just over $60 CAD... and I also paid $10 for earrings from Dealfind - normally $119 . I guess I figured $10 wasn't so bad if I lost it, but Dealfind is a reputable company...
Y'never know - I may be able to do this "online purchasing" after all...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9238811

I do a good share of any purchasing I do online. I don't like to shop, I live in the middle of no-where and it's easier.

Glad to hear you falls were "nothing". Learning on grass is much more difficult than pavement but it does have it's advantages!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9238896

Just took the baby quilt off the machine. Now to sew the binding on. Should only take a couple evenings since the quilt is rather small.
Just got my RWB Mystery blocks sewn together. Will get the borders on this afternoon. This will be a QoV.

Weather is rather nice today. If DH was feeling better I'd suggest we go for a drive to see what is south of us. I do believe we will go out for dinner this evening. We have a couple Gift Certs to use.

THink I'll grab a bit of lunch before I go back to the machines.

Everyone sure has been quiet this weekend...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 12, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9238964

Dropped off to Joann's before crossing the border yesterday, picked up supplies to few more tote bags for Christmas..tired but thought with jelly roll strips I got in the last swap that I might take out my sewing magazines and see what ideas come to mind.

Walked the gardens, all but finished here in my nexk of the woods so time to sew..

Love reading up on what projects you have going!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9238980

http://www.fatquartershop.com/Vintage-Motorcycles-Exclusively-Quilters-Fabrics.asp

This will be my next project "vintage motor cycle quilt" fabric here when it comes in. quilt at keepsake quilting.SIL is a harley hobbyist. He gave up his office in the house for my sewing room, hence the quilt is well deserved.

On one of my machines the feed dog lever is in the back underneath the machine on some brothers its in the utility box on my $$ expensive machine you just press a button.,If there isn't a way to drop, some people paste credit card weight plastic over them with a hole for the needle to go up and down.. open end darning foot will work if one came with the machine. It's berdt to have an open end darning or free motion foot. My 5 centts/ Pat you go girl, you now have such energy...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9239005

I don't think the dogs drop on my Viking. Good idea about sliding an old credit card over them.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9239016

I will try the credit card trick if I can't drop the feed dogs. I NEVER dreamed it MIGHT NOT drop!!! YIKES! I'm going to the Viking dealership on Monday and I'll ask them if I can't figure it out on my own.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9239021

they should be able to drop, just need to find out how.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 12, 2012

Post #9239038

Mine also drop via touch of screen..most machines do!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 12, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9239061

To Drop or Not Drop - That is the Question...

Found this on the Internet, fond it interesting

I just received a great question from a quilter via email:
"I have been sewing for years but as far as the free motion quilting I am a beginner. I just watched the video on how you use the Janome sewing machine. I really am interested in learning more about the "not dropping the feed dogs" comment. I purchased a babylock and love it, but I followed the instructions and drop the feed dogs when free motion quilting and it's really annoying that the tension is so persnickety. but if I could avoid that I think I would be in heaven."
I liked this question a lot because it reminded me of something important today - too often I assume that if I say something one time, you've all heard it and it's old news.

I need a monthly reminder that new, beginning free motion quilters are finding this project for the first time every single day, and that saying something once is never enough!

So here's a lesson I teach at every workshop, usually have to say multiple times at every lecture, and should learn to repeat weekly here on the project:

I don't drop my feed dogs.

I don't drop them when I'm free motion quilting. I don't drop them when I'm piecing. I don't drop them when I applique. I don't drop them here or there. I don't drop them anywhere! I don't drop them in a box. I don't drop them with a fox...

Er...Okay I ran off on a tangent there with Dr. Seuss, but you get my point!

Now here's why:

When I started free motion quilting, yes, I dropped my feed dogs loyally. That is what I'd been taught, and that is what I'd learned in countless books on the subject. For free motion quilting the ultimate, absolute rule #1 is always to drop those little teeth down inside your machine.

But what happens if you forget? What if you get so excited to quilt your next quilt, you simply forget to drop the feed dogs before getting started?

Will the Quilt Police suddenly ring your front doorbell, demanding you to stop free motion quilting immediately? Will the sky blacken with clouds of quilting doom? Will your quilt sit up and yell at you, "NO! Drop those feed dogs first!"

Nope, none of the above. The truth is, the feed dog rule has been a bit overblown.

Because every single book mentions it, and most teachers teach it, quilter's have come to believe that unless a machine has the capability of dropping those dogs, it can't free motion quilt.

And worse, many quilter's believe, if you don't drop your feed dogs, you cannot quilt your own quilts.

But this isn't even logical! It's a rule we've heard and swallowed blindly, without stopping to see if it actually applied to our specific machines!

The ONLY reason to EVER drop your feed dogs
is to stop them from feeding your quilt forward.

But does your quilt actually feed forward with the feed dogs up? Try it and see.

If it feeds a lot, put your stitch length to 0. This basically turns the feed dogs off because they're not feeding anything anywhere. They're just moving up and down!

If you don't feel any feeding or pulling forward from the feed dogs, why do anything about them? They're not hurting anything by being up. If it's not broke, don't fix it!

If you do feel a slight tug, why not just cover those feed dogs instead? It achieves the exact same purpose, and when covered with a Supreme Slider, your quilt will glide and move so much easier over the surface of your machine bed.

Personally, I've found the only times a machine needs the feed dogs dropped due to the quilt feeding forward, it's not the machine, the feed dogs, or the quilt that is the real problem. It's the free motion quilting foot.

I've said it a million times, but I'll say it again: most darning feet are not well designed. They literally squish the quilt flat to the surface of the machine bed, making it almost impossible to move the quilt freely in free motion.

Click here to learn about modifying your foot so it works better for free motion quilting.

I'll be sharing a video soon showing you how I modified the generic darning foot I'm using on the Janome HD-1000. Straight out of the package, the foot worked terribly, but with a rubber band and a little elbow grease, the foot works perfectly now.

So the dropping of feed dogs continues, not because the quilt is really getting fed forward by the feed dogs, but because the darning foot is squashing the quilt so badly. Ultimately it's always the feed dogs that get blamed for the quilt not moving smoothly.

But here's the catch - most machines don't react positively to dropped feed dogs. Suddenly tension goes finicky, thread nests on the back of the quilt become far more common, and the stress level of the quilter in question soars.

Who can blame you for getting frustrated? Your wonderful machine that has so far been a loyal and trusted friend has just thrown up ugly stitches on the surface of your quilt.

Many try free motion quilting, but throw in the towel after just a few minutes because they can't achieve a decent looking stitch with the feed dogs down.

Worst still - the blame for the bad stitches is usually put on the machine. My personal opinion is this: if a machine can piece beautifully, it can absolutely free motion quilt beautifully too.

The biggest question should always be: IS THIS EVEN NECESSARY?

Seriously, do a test! Free motion quilt with the feed dogs up, then free motion quilt with the feed dogs down. See for yourself which one works better for your specific machine.

Blindly following rules will never get you anywhere.

So test! Try modifying your darning foot, try quilting with the feed dogs covered instead of dropped, try quilting with a variety of different threads and needles.

But more than anything else: DON'T GIVE UP! Don't stop trying just because things don't work immediately. You really CAN quilt your own quilts in free motion, but only if you take the time to test and find what works and doesn't work

This message was edited Aug 12, 2012 4:18 PM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9239155

Great article Betty. Who is it from????

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9239227

Ok, you made a believer out of me. I'm going to go in there and give it a whirl.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9239290

I got an email from Thunder (BarefootT) and she is indeed still having computer problems and they have 2 trips to see sailor & soilder sons this fall, then they will be saving for new computer. I know several of us have missed Thunder and didn't know the latest status. Just wanted to give ya'all an update.

I'm still in there movin stuff around, boxing and measuring things. Hummmmm... feels like procrasination. Maybe I'll just push the rest a side and check out the feed dogs or not to feed dog question and stop "preparing!" Or as my DH would say, "kill two birds with one bush" and tackle that old quilt repair for my son. THAT will accomplish TWO things! And yes, my DH intentially slaughers sayings!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9239395

I think I need to take a drive across the state & stop in & see Thunder!!!! Sure do miss her on here.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 12, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9239458

Thunder did post on a couple of threads in the other room. She's on a borrowed machine. She's doing great, and got the Winter Wonderland quilt to a veteran in the same division (although earlier) as her son. She was wearing a t-shirt with the division name on it and he stopped to talk to her. After getting to know him for awhile, she was informed by our group that she "won" the Winter Wonderland quilt for her to give to a deserving person of her choice. She gave it to Rob for his service! She also posted some pictures. It was really moving to be able to support the US servicemen this way...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9239594

Thanks for sharing that Susan. I wish I had the time and energy to keep up with both rooms but I just can't seem to manuver the other room as well and finally had to choose ONE.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 13, 2012
3:18 AM

Post #9239648

Sure glad you picked this one Pat..

Lucky Thunder..
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9239705

I dont know about the other room...unless your talking about the 'cube'. Is it still there. I lost track of it when Dave started a new gardening website and all my daylily group went there. There is no sewing forum. I just thought that was the end of the cube.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9239728

Yes, there is a sewing and crafting forum there.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9239734

o wow...I thought once All Things Plants came into being , that was the end of the cube. Well Ill be darned. I wondered why Dave didnt put a sewing forum on, now it make more sense.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9239738

Sewing forum is in cubits.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9239752

What a sweet thing to say Betty, thanks.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9239760

Well, Im glad everyone picked it. It amazing what this thread has gotten me thru.

I want to get with the program and try to learn some quilting myself. Cross hatch on a potholder is as far as ive gotten. You see, if I get as far as the quilting, it actually means I will have finished something...well almost.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9239765

Pam, you can do it! Just get some fabrics out, start cutting and sewing, you will get the hang of it really quick!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 13, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9239786

Pam you can always ask for help here. Google is great for links to quilting help too. I keep one site I found on there bookmarked because I always need a refresher for turning the corners on binding.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9239793

Can you post a link Karen?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9239839

Well, I switch back and for between this and the "other" but must confess...I enjoy this site more. No offense intended to anyone but it just seems friendlier to me...shucks, you ladies are my extended family ...oh wait..ladies and gent. I could never forget Stu. Sure miss his posting and participation but do understand.

Slowly working my way through the mess here and finally feel like it will be under control before long.

Has anyone used the fabric storage system that involves wrapping the fabric around the pre cut boards? Guess I should get the official name of the things. I have been looking at them and thinking about trying them. Will be happy to hear any comments before I actually purchase some.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9239848

o yes...binding is the one thing I would pay to have done, thats why I need to learn to quilt. If I could learn to turn the corner, that would be so great. When we had the pot holder swap, I had to turn mine inside out and sew around because I couldnt get the binding. So embarassing. One of the pot holders in that swap had the edges just finished by cutting with decorative scissors and then sewing around the edge with a decorative stitch. Brilliant, and it worked without binding. Not good for some other things, but sure makes quick and easier work out of a potholder. I cant wait to get a look at that link.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9239856

in reading all this
Quoting:I enjoy this site more
I don't feel connected there.
Also only take so much time on the computer and no more.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9239879

Helene, I think that is the problem...I don't feel connected.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9239881

Helen...I always check the recipe forum for ideas. . WELL, if you were in FL I think I would get in the car and start driving. yum yum yum

This message was edited Aug 13, 2012 9:40 AM

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9239930

every day a feast as this family loves good but plain food. Today hungarian chicken paprikash with spaetzle (dumplings) wedges of large potatoes on top ( eye appeal) with fresh grown green salad plain dressing from the farm and cukes salad with sourcream dressing from the garden. Fresh peaches.I love to make peach Kuchen bt they don't eat dessert often.
Last night heirloom (brandywine) tomato salad from garden. Green beans in a tomato onion medley from the farm. Fingerling german poato salad - this was very tasty but rather plain and grilled ital. sausage fresh made that day at "Rambos" country store in califan NJ. He gets his Meat from the farmers, so no water added. Delic.

Well we were talking that perhaps we should do something on LBK when I get back.Yup start driving.

Chicken Goulash. 3-4 Lb cut up, no back, breast cut into 4s. Saute 3 med onions chopped ,one mild green pepper (such as cubanelle)chopped, add chicken pieces, 3T (yes table spoons) of sweet paprika hungarian or spanish.
one med tomato chopped salt and pepper to taste, simmer, covered for 1/2 hr. check for liquid, if nec. add a bit of water,(may not need) top with peeled, baking potatoes cut into wedges length wise, and simmer another half hr.done. Blend 1 T sour cream into sauce serve in a rustic pot, such as clay or cast iron.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9239974

Oh Helene, that chicken goulash sounds so goood!!!

...but if I start driving now I will be there before you. LOL
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9239977

Pam - come on over with your tops & we'll get them quilted!!!!!

I need to get out & finish mowing the yard before this storm starts dropping rain...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 13, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9240508

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5vzkuGw&feature=related

Here's the link Barb & Pam. I seem to need a refresher on what to do at the corners because it's a while between quilts.

Back home again only to find two baby shower invites, Sept 8th across state and Sept 9th downstate. Sheesh I do want to go to both and I think I can swing it but it'll be pretty crazy. Guess I need to get busy on a couple blankets. Both boys and they won't see each other so I can make two just alike if I want.

Laughed at my grandson Brendan 14. He begged and begged to go to TN with me. I told him several times that I was going to be down there for 3 weeks or longer and he said that was fine. Of course after a week he was nagging to come home. but I just told him tough he signed on for the duration. He did have fun in spite of himself though. Yesterday as soon as he saw me at the grad party he started begging to come home with me. I said haven't you had enough of me for this summer? So here we are, he'll be here all this week at least. Now why ever would a 14 year old boy want to spend that much time with his grandma? You don't suppose it has anything to do with the lake I live on do you?

This message was edited Aug 13, 2012 7:47 PM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 13, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9240665

s'funny - I don't feel connected at ATP, but do, at Cubits, and Absolutely Here!
although I love gardening, and quilting, I get my sewing fix there, and my gardening AND sewing fix here.
I enjoy both sites thoroughly, but never go to ATP. Guess having 3 sites going full bore would be too much.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 14, 2012
4:10 AM

Post #9240881

I would say it just might have a little to do with the lakefront Karen. Lol
Although at 14 they tend to appreciate 'grandma's'

I'm with many of you, Dg offers everything I need, guess its the feeling of allegiance to this site as its brought me the best of friends, many who I have had the opportunity of meeting!

Should pack my sewing machine and take it to work, more time there to work on sewing projects.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

August 14, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9241047

I feel like this is home but the other house is a nice place to visit on occasion.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9241095

New thread, over the magic 200 #. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275487/

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9254575

pinwheels with black and white, shadow fabric (same pattern) of white and black. with white sashing.Surround sashing could have white, red and black.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America