Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Good Vegetables For a Toddler Garden?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 9, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
honesteyes
Fort Worth, TX

August 1, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9225937

I have a small yard and have been doing a little gardening each year for the past 4 years but really I am still a novice really only having much success with tomatoes and peppers.. I also have 3 young children who I usually don't include much in the gardening process except letting them water and pick tomatoes. I ran across this idea of a toddler garden on http://www.toddler-tips-and-tricks.com/toddler-garden.html and I thought it was a good idea. Just wondering if any of you garden with small children involved and what vegetables you find to be hardy enough to withstand their "help" and my inexperience? I live in Texas so I can do a fall garden as well, though I never have done one, but I've been told I can. What are some hardy vegetables you use for fall gardens?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9226198

Onions, garlic, chives, not sure if you have time for more beans, maters, and most things are stalled in tween waiting cooler temps, bulb things like beets, turnips, are hidden so not much 'fun' to grow, pumpkins- I am not sure if they could make in time...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9226390

Your first frost date is listed as November 11. That gives you a full three months to plant a fall crop. Here are a couple links to things you can plant now and harvest before the winter. as you will see, radishes, lettuce and broccoli are all good choices and easy for kids.

http://www.dallasnews.com/lifestyles/home-and-gardening/gardening/20100729-plant-fall-vegetables-now.ece

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7787482_plant-vegetable-garden-fort-worth.html

http://northtexasvegetablegardeners.com/blog/2011/05/29/vegetable-gardening-101/

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9226456

FtWorth lists nov 11 as frost date, but it actually hasn't frosted that early in several years, though there is Usually the first COLD spell by Halloween, DTM is affected more by sunlite by then tho, those are good things to grow- quick to harvest and likes cool days, so easy to excite proud little sprouts!
honesteyes
Fort Worth, TX

August 1, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9226510

Thanks you guys!!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9226652

You are very welcome. You'll have to post a picture of your little ones with their first crop.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 4, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9229735

I started my grandkids off with Raddishes, Lettuce and anything that grows fast as they dont really have the patience to wait from germination, it all depends on the age.

My Grandkids would never eat sprouts, Broccoli etc untill I showed them growing and when cleaned / washed they were broken up into fairy tree's ha, ha, ha, whay a liar Granny is EH.
Some plants / flowers are good too as they are edible, like pot Marigold / salads, try find a book store and search for edible gardening for kids it will give you idea's.
Goodluck, it's so much fun in the garden with youngsters as you learn all about their little quarrels with friends or their school work and family times, very special moments believe me.
WeeNel.
Xaltd1
SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

August 7, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9233178

I am basically a 51 year old toddler- I am never ceased to be amazed at what comes from planting that tiny, dry, brown seed! I grew a marigold in a dixie cup as part of a kindergarten project, and I was HOOKED on gardening for life!
To that end, I've had such fun with the Aerogrow indoor gardens. They now make children's versions that are so cute! They didn't have one when my (now 25 year old0) son was little, but he would have loved one. I often thought one would make a great child's nightlite- they have a slight hum, which I find soothing. You have to add a little water regularly. I think it would be a great bed-time ritual to add water, check on the growth, and fall asleep to a little paradise. I have 3 of the size 7 gardens which I bought used on ebay. You can get "grow anything" kits so you can buy your own seeds (also waaayy cheaper on ebay). I've grown cherry tomatoes, coleus, and catnip. I don't work for Aerogrow, BTW!!! BUT I started my big garden tomatoes this way (they really took off after I planted them out), plus zinnias, daisies, and border dahlias. Right now, I'm rooting dahlia cuttings and growing another catnip jungle for my lucky cat!
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9233314

I have little ones and I like to plant things they can snack on while they're "helping"! Cherry tomatoes and carrots! I let them pick out seeds in the spring and 1 picked sunflowers and the other kailadescope (sp) carrots! They were a colorful mix! Cucumbers and pumpkins are fun too and like cooler weather, although maybe already to late! You might be able to grow cabbage late there. Granted, they take a while to mature, but they can take light frosts and I don't imagine you have many heavy frosts at all and of course cabbage is a big family with some absolutly GORGEOUS plants!

For the spring STRAWBERRIES!!!!!!! Perfect for kids! Also good opportunities for learning as they are a perennials, and the difference between berries and vegetables!
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9233325

Oh I almost forgot my fave for the kids! Snow peas! Quick, flowering and it has great raw snacking qualities :) not to mention you could still get a decent crop before the end of the season (if it's not ridiculously HOT)!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America