August Flowers

Arlington, TX

Two bad picks but nice plants.
1. Yellow standing cypress, these came from the 2 red plants I got accidentally last year
2. Clemetis texensis, delicate and lovely - I have broken this poor plant off to the roots twice this year.

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Very nice Cheryl, I love standing cypress but it hates my place, so I leave it alone.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I need to hurry up and dig up more of my yard and extend my flower bed in the back! I'd love to have some standing cypress of any color!

Just the same ol' same ol' blooming here.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

Nothing wrong with that Stephanie.

Dallas, TX

Very pretty Stephanie! I am going to let my Obedient plants wander, now that I know what they are.

Arlington, TX

Sylvia they can literally take over your yard so be careful where you let them wander to...

Fulshear, TX(Zone 9b)

Quote from stephanietx :
I need to hurry up and dig up more of my yard and extend my flower bed in the back! I'd love to have some standing cypress of any color!

Just the same ol' same ol' blooming here.

What is that lavender colored flower? I bought one and it's been lovely but i didn't write it down in my journal. I was told it was indigenous to our area.
Thanks!

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Cheryl, you probably did your texensis a favor...the "experts" say to trim down a young plant during the first 2 years for better root development.
I will have to check if anything is alive in my yard...........

Arlington, TX

LOL then it should have very nice roots!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sweet, the lavender flowers are Obedient Plant. They can be very invasive, but in this particular spot in my garden, they're fairly well behaved.

Fulshear, TX(Zone 9b)

Ohhhh, thank you Stephanie! I had been searching for the name, unsuccessfully. I'd planted it in one of my vegetable gardens for some native flowers; bad idea?

Fulshear, TX(Zone 9b)

Mexican Sunflowers;
Obedient Plant (Thank you, Stephanie!)
Unknown to me

Thumbnail by sweetmommy Thumbnail by sweetmommy Thumbnail by sweetmommy
Fulshear, TX(Zone 9b)

Does anyone know how to rotate the photos? Edit only lets me change the text.

Arlington, TX

You can do it on the pc before you upload them. If they are taken on your phone like mine, I first copy them to the pc then rotate them before posting. I suspect you can do it from my phone but am too lazy to figure out how. As for the obedient plant, it depends on the area. If you want veggies in that bed I would not put in obedient plants. In good soil that is watered well, they spread like crazy for me and I spent hours removing their underground roots and runners.
C

Arlington, TX

Minerature pink water lily. Not native but so pretty. This little plant just got some leaves. I thought the pond snails that invaded had eaten it to death.
C

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

sweetmommy, the blue flowered plant is Rotheca myricoides, var. Blue Butterflies and yours is gorgeous. Roots pretty easily in water. It's tropical so I will have to take cuttings if we have a real winter this year.

I have Queen's Wreath that is so pretty just now, Lantanas of several colors blooming, Vinca, Angelonia, Rudbeckia, plumeria, roses and brugmansia, yellow and pink both blooming. I have magenta 4 o'clocks, and some crazy mixed up azaleas are blooming and no, they were not supposed to be the everblooming variety! Elderberry and purslane and my super dependable Mexican Petunias are a knockout. Pink Gaura is pretty now, my begonias are suffering from this heat by looking pale and my Blue Butterflies is blooming as well. Photos tomorrow, if possible.

Fulshear, TX(Zone 9b)

Thank you, Steadycam! It just appeared in my garden (or I forgot about it!!).

Fulshear, TX(Zone 9b)

Newtons- They look upright on my computer but, somehow, flip when I upload.

Arlington, TX

Desert marigold I started from seed. Lovely gray leaves and a bright yellow flower. I need to grow more of these in full sun. It did not bloom much in the part shade area. I am thinking next year in the cactus bed.

Arlington, TX

Red dome blanket flower. A plant whose blooms are only appreciated up close. I only had 3 come up this year. I think they got crowded out by a ton of larger plants.

Arlington, TX

Ruellia n. are coming up everywhere. These replaced the yellow dogweed that seeded itself all over these cracks. I find the seedlings have long roots and are hard to pull. Still its too lovely to be on the naughty list. I am seriously removing it from some beds though.
C

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I love those little ruellia! I have them in a couple of spots in my garden, but this is the first year they're really big enough to do anything.

Dallas, TX

very cute! I have the low growing Ruellia and its one hardy plant!

Arlington, TX

Oh they are hardy and I have it in every area of my yard now.

Ruellia nudiflora is a wonderful plant for Texas.
Cheryl you always manage to have some very neat plants.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

newtons - I have never seen that particular blanket flower. It is so different looking....love it.

Arlington, TX

Morganc,
They are very easy to start from seed. Winter sowing works well.

Arlington, TX

My first heart leaf hibiscus flowers. Josephine how do you over winter these?
C

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

My ironweed is continuing to bloom. I love these bright purple flowers!

Tall Mexican Petunias are enjoying the hot weather.

My Esperanza is also enjoying the hot temps. Such a bright spot in the flower bed.

This little Katie's Blue ruellia has been blooming off and on the past month or so. I think it's an overachiever! LOL

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx

Cheryl, I bring the pots into the garage during freezing weather. They sure are pretty.

Arlington, TX

So you keep them outside and bring them in for the occasional day/week of low temps. Do you mean when its going to drop below 32 or colder?
C

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Cheryl, you know, those times when you're running outside in your jammies hauling your plants in!! LOL

Arlington, TX

I am trying to do that less and less. I have really reduced my number of potted plants that have to be dealt with that way. I have some that come in for the entire winter and only a few that I run out half naked to rescue.
C

Yes, when it is going to drop below 32, sometimes if they are in a large pot and it is marginally cold, you can just throw a tarp on them for the night.

Central, TX(Zone 8b)

Quote from newtonsthirdlaw :
Red dome blanket flower. A plant whose blooms are only appreciated up close. I only had 3 come up this year. I think they got crowded out by a ton of larger plants.

Love it! They're really beautiful, not showy as big flowered plants are, but petite little ladies appreciated close up - punctuation marks along the garden path...

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Bee convention on my passiflora foetida. I'm going to have to trim off some of the vines because they're overtaking everything around it.

Strawberry Gomphrena and West Texas Mistflower

I caught a couple of yellow four o'clocks still open this morning. This plant is loaded with blooms!

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

My little flame acanthus has been blooming like crazy! I thought I'd lost this last year, but it came back!

The frostweed is blooming like crazy.

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx
Fulshear, TX(Zone 9b)

Stephanie-Are the yellow Four O'Clocks fragrant?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I don't really know. I'm not usually out when they're in bloom! LOL I've not noticed a strong aroma, tho.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images