Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Garden Gems 2012 #7

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thought I would start a new thread.The other one was slow,or its my computer.:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1271719/

Thumbnail by ge1836
Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

The Lisianthus were sown in early January, took a while to germinate and took forever for the seedlings to do much more after they were about 3/4 of an inch tall. They are just now beginning to bloom and were worth waiting for. We're leaving for Rehoboth Beach for about 10 days and I'm hoping that when we get back I'll get to see more of them and get some pictures. It's tough leaving the garden in the summer, but spending time with everyone together at the beach really does it for me.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks for the info.. hope you have a great time!!

More Lisianthus info:

http://www.dontveter.com/howtogrow/eustgran.html

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Great link with alot of good info! I love Lisianthus, think they are so pretty and delicate looking, have only grown them twice. The 1st time they didn't do well, the second time they did great....almost afraid to try a third!! LOL

Here are a few lilies from me this morning......

Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Your gardens must be georgeous Pixie.So many lilies

I always think the same thing, Pixie. Do your lilies bloom all summer at different times. Do you plant anything to fill in the gaps after they're gone. I'm still looking for a good filler. This year I will have Cleome.

Thomaston, CT

Those lilies are just beautiful! After I read the article on prairie gentian, I knew for sure I wouldn't try them again! Too much work......and as they are a flower of the prairie, New England gets too much rain for them to thrive.....

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Honestly JO, the red lily beetle did some heavy damage this year. Most of it may be my fault with spraying but it seems like there are alot more this year.
Look at the leaves on the lily and surrounding stalks...HORRIBLE!!!

Terri, I buy lilies that bloom from June to the end of Aug./1st of Sept here, I suspect it's my cooler evening weather that makes my lilies season last a little longer.
I use, phlox...again with different bloom times although most are in full bloom now, also astillbe's, black-eyed susan's, daisy, dahlias, blanket flowers of different colors, roses and iris that bloom at various times also.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I don't know RD.. said at the top if you are growing them on a sunny window to water them everyday .. I might try to bring these in and overwinter them.. and I can do seeds from them if I collect them.. nothing to loose

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Geez, forgot the the Echi's!! Always have echi's too. :)

This message was edited Aug 2, 2012 9:35 AM

Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

More fillers......

Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Pizie Youve got a good thing going there.
I use Bayer Tree and Shrub 12 month and spray the ground around where the lilies are emerging.I look for those pink tops in April. We had a wierd year and beetles emerged before I could stop 'em. I had more this year too and believe the early spring is why.
I also use Sevin in mid season on leaves when I see a beetle.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

don't forget your agastache as a rose filler.. they place nice together

phlox heaven Celeste!!!

Thomaston, CT

And Pixie's echies look nice....mine are droopy & missing petals.....

I would love to see some pictures that show the entire garden where the lilies are so that I can see the placement of their companions, if possible.

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

Celeste, your flowers are amazing, and everyone who was on the previous thread, I don't often comment but I always enjoy looking at the beauty you nurture.

The first picture is a plant that my daughter in law gave me. It is not hardy here, but I love the look of it. Anyone know what it is? Usually sold as a pond plant as it likes wet feet, but does fine in my regular garden with watering.

2nd is Flora Danica rose. I transplanted it this spring, had a terrible job getting it out of the old spot as it was so close to the house, and I wasn't sure it would make it. The entire top died and when a new stem came up, I had to wait all this time to find out if it would be the hybrid or just a common rose from below the graft--turned out to be worth the wait.

3rd pic is Cupressus macrocarpa Wilma Goldcrest. Not hardy in Maine so I keep it in a pot in the sunroom for the winter. This year I tried it in a planter with Sedum rupestre Angelina and another common creeper that I don't have a name for. Can anyone supply it?

Thumbnail by granitegneiss Thumbnail by granitegneiss Thumbnail by granitegneiss
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the pond plant is neat.. I like different stuff like that.. love the color of your rose!!!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I like the rose too!

Saw this at the top of the tree this morning.

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

neat!!.. fits right in here!!!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I was thinking of you Allison whe I saw it :-)

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Never seen that plant before pretty funky looking

When you transplanted the rose did you prune all the way back?

Love the web pic

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Exotic and neat.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Terri, haven't any recent picturs....i'll see if I can find one though.

Wynne, that exotic looking plant I believe is 'Star Grass' thats the only name I know it by....it grows along the banks of the canals in Florida.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

'Cradle Of Bethlehem'
'Scheherazade'
'Raining Violets'
Rose of Sharon is just starting. :)
Torenia, 'Magenta Dream'

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I need to find that toreenia next year.
My Grapolisceus didnt perform well.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Just lilies.........

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hard to find blooms
Lobelia Ruby Slippers planted June this year,just starting
Purple cones and euphrobia Bonfire
Ligularia
Torinea grapolisceous

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

nice celeste - my bonfire's are all leggy right now do yours stay like that all season? ruby slippers did not come back for me hope you have better luck, good thing i like the standard cardinal flower it reseeds freely here.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Love that torenia Jo! My lingularia is a different variety......darn things are 6ft tall or better!

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Bill Those particular bonfires look great where they are. I have others that are floppy and dont have as many leaves. I think part sun is at fault.
Dont tell me the Slippers wont make it. If they dont I will get Cardinals.in their place.

Thanks Pixie ,thatd either Desdemona or MayBritt.ligularia

Thomaston, CT

GraniteG...the creeper is Golden Creeping Jenny....the white flower may be Heron Flower.....Pixie & Jo, very nice blooms! Ronnie, saw many webs when I was walking early this morning...no camera of course!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Robindog I have also noticed the spider works in my lawn.
Isnt that early too?
I did dream of snow .

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

He's been here all day.Agastaches are against the house.I took the pix from the livingroom

Thumbnail by ge1836
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yippee, Jo!!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

ignoring the S word again .. great shot JoAnn!!!

Thomaston, CT

Nice, Jo, they love those agastaches! Have not seen many here, but hummers have been on the salvia when I've seen them....spiderwebs are outlined in dew when the dewpoint and temp are the same, which it was this morn....I was walking across the top of the dam, & almost every section of fencing had one....way cool.....

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Nice Jo!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

AWESOME!
I saw one hummer today...for a fleeting second.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.