Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Trees holding up in a storm

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

August 2, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9226883

We have had some 90mph winds here (VA) twice already this year and huge trees have been downed.

Now,I know this may well depend on root depth and location BUT: In a storm that shears off limbs and branches and knocks over whole huuuge trees, WHICH trees stand a better chance of remaining intact... and standing?

Would it be: the Sycamore? Or another tree with close-grained (heavy) wood??

Which one(s)... and why?

Thanks

This message was edited Aug 2, 2012 8:25 AM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9226903

Hi Acemoose. I had a similar question myself, living in So Louisiana...ya think? grin Here is some info from my research into it. I hope you find this useful.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1268/

http://home.howstuffworks.com/lawn-garden/professional-landscaping/basics/natural-disaster-tree.htm

http://www.urbanforestrysouth.org/resources/library/storm-wind-loads-on-trees/file_name

http://floridagardener.com/monthly/hurricaneresistanttrees.htm
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

August 2, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9226965

WOW!! I am MOST grateful to you for those Exceptional websites!!! I will print them out and read them further!!!

And that last website is highly interesting and informative -- Well, I was right about the Sycamore... and...

... I had WONDERED about the SweetGum, reasoning that perhaps that sap in its cells would help make the tree more "flexible" and better able to withstand brutal force winds because of the fluid motion of the sap in the wood cells. So maybe I'm right on that SweetGum thought ..or wrong...but its a thought anyway.

And I DO NOT want to see what a BottleBrush tree in a huirricane looks like! (LOL-- Probably would look like a shaggy dog shaking its wet fur, except the wet fur is FLYYING off!!)

THANK YOU!!!

This message was edited Aug 2, 2012 9:52 AM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9227097

You are very welcome. During Hurricane Gustav, I lost one of my bottle brushes...but it was the fence falling on it, not the wind per se..The other one just down from it did fine...not even a lost branch...but that was only 90 MPH winds...grin. We had 3 huge sycamores when we moved here...they were the first to be removed...we saw what Hurr. Andrew did to sycamores and didn't want them on top of the house...grin
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 4, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9229725

We have lost many very old tree's this past 2 years and the damage they did when falling was quite horrific, I cant give you any advice as to which trees hold up better than others as it all depends on soil type, tree type, shelter from wind or exposure to the wind, also the rain / wet soil would play a part as would soil eradication if very dry when a storm blew in so, if I said an oak tree was a sure fire strong tree which it is, in your area or storm on the day conditions would not help the tree to hold up, the trees thast came down on our property were ranging from 10 years old to over 100 years old, the leaves were torn from the Rododendrons and my beautiful Acers (all different coloured foliage /leaf shapes etc) were leafless in a day, but are recovering now. the trees that fell broke thru walls that had stood over hundred years and are checked regularly, they also crashed through other large shrubs, broke drains etc, so I would be more inclined to look around your neighbourhood and look at whaich trees are standing, look also at any sheltered areas they may have been growing in and what direction was the wind blowing in, all these factors would have to be taken into account to be honest.
I know this is probably not the answer you were looking for but hope maybe others can help you out choosing tree's that are able to stand up to any storm in any port so to speak. I never thought for a moment that we would suffer the damage we had this year early March but, a full blown storm can take roof's from property so a storm to you might be a little bluster of wind to someone else.
Good luck and hope you dont suffer more damage this year. WeeNel.
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

August 16, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9243377

Thanks WeeNel -- yes we lost two huge oaks in a hurricane a few years ago

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America