Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Landscaping: Florida - Trying to save an abused crape myrtle

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 4, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
danbarr
Winter Park, FL

August 2, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9227027

During a recent job I was on, I removed a 6-7 foot crape myrtle (rather forcefully with a chain and bobcat. We were in a hurry). The tree was out of the ground about 12 hours before I could get it home and into a bucket of water. A couple of days later I transplanted the tree using gardening soil. By this time all the leaves on the crape myrtle had turned brown. There were just a few green leaves still showing. The tree has been in the ground for about 4-5 days and appears to have a pulse as I am still seeing some green. I would really like to see this tree live as it has beautiful white blooms when healthy and it has sure been through a lot of pain!!! My questions is, should I prune back the dead growth or just allow the tree to recover?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9227182

Hi Dan. Crapemyrtles are fairly easy to transplant, this one may take a little special care. First check the trunk for damage from the chain. If the trunk has injuries, you may have problems...but, treat the injuries with a fungicide to protect the tree.

You can remove any dead branches. Included is a link for pruning crapemyrtles http://thedailysouth.southernliving.com/2009/02/24/what-concerns-p/

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep399

. Make sure that the plant receives adequate water and you can use a root stimulator product like Green Light root stimulator, mixed per directions...this encourages the plant to put out feeder roots. When you water, be sure to soak the area slowly so water reaches all the way down to the bottom. I would not recommend fertilizing at this point, as you want good, well established roots rather than a lot of growth right now.

Hope this helps
danbarr
Winter Park, FL

August 2, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9227230

Thanks for the advice and info MOONHOWL.

Dan
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9227234

Definitely keep it watered. I moved 4 last fall but didn't water them and only one lived. But on the other hand the severed roots where I dug them up have sent up several new shoots so all is not lost.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9227485

You are most welcome Dan. Good luck to you.

It also may not be a bad idea to try to give it a little shade in the hottest part of the day...use a patio umbrella, old sheet with sticks...whatever you can rig up for it to block some of the direct sun..just for a couple weeks while it is putting out new roots.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America