Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Need a vine for a shady fence

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shelleysinger
Petaluma, CA

August 2, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9227399

Full daylight but virtually no direct sun.I put a trumpet vine there and it won't even grow, let alone bloom. Just sits there begging for sunlight, I guess. I'd like a vine that would grow closer to the top of the six foot fence where it might get some sun and maybe flower. I've noticed that clematis is sometimes mentioned, but I also notice that it's poisonous and I have pets. Help.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9228392

Given the talents of trumpet vine, I would bet it's growing underground to wherever it has decided it's Goin to grow... Coral vine? You seem to want a permanent growth...Mexican Flame Vine? ... I need to see where I've seen Petaluma before...
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9228841

Solanum laxum is a great vine for covering a big fence and will take off growing pretty quickly. Also toxic but I'm willing to bet there's other stuff in your garden that is toxic and you just don't realize it. If your trumpet vine is Campsis radicans then I believe it's also toxic to dogs. I don't know about your dogs, but mine really haven't ever shown any interest in chewing on anything that's poisonous, and I always supervise them when out in the yard just in case. Only thing they ever touch is grass.

When did you plant your trumpet vine? Plants will take some time to get their roots going before they will start to do much growing above ground. So if you just planted it this year or even last fall, you may just need to be patient with it (and the same would be true of just about anything that you might plant)

I don't know how it would bloom in shade, but I love Passiflora 'White Wedding' on my back fence. I don't think it would be toxic, and it's gotten big fairly quickly. Mine is in full blazing sun though so if your area is shady it may not bloom well. Trachelospermum jasminoides is one that I know will do OK in shadier situations, but it's in a plant family that tends to be toxic so I'd avoid it if that's a concern.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 7, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9233335

Never heard anyone mention the Clematis as poisonous, but then again, who would want to eat them any way, I have about 15 Clematis groing in various areas of my garden and had 4 Chow Chow dogs and still have black cat who all liked to sit beside / under all the taller plants and never had problems with animals eating or ingesting them, there are many, many plants that are toxic if eaten yet gardens all over the world grow them without even realising, this is because we really dont eat our flowers except the ones we know are edible like herbs, Colandulas to name but a few.

One good climber for shade is the climbing Hydrangea petiolaris, it is covered in clusters of cream / white flowers, self clings to walls, fences, it will spread in a matter of 2-3 years after it fills the space you want filled, you just prune the branches off in early spring before the new growth gets growing.
This is not evergreen but in autumn the leaves turn orange / gold and it is beautiful.
Good luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America