-
AuthorContent
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9227688

i'm about to make some apple sauce, I'd like to spice it up a bit. different varieties, any ideas? I have black berries and raspberries in the freezer and a little bit of strawberries, I even have cantalope lol of course I'll want to make cinnamon apple sauce. what varieties have you made? would love some recipes.

I also have tons of pears, need some new ideas, have canned pears, made pear honey, cinnamon pears, red hot candied pears. pear butter, guess that about wraps up the pears ha? lol I may not do pears this year, not sure yet.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9230566

My personal favorite applesauce that I've made was from crab apples... a pretty pink color and a tart-sweet taste. (I always cut down on the sugar in most recipes.)

I posted some pear ideas on another thread in this forum.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9232754

I'dl ike to come across some crab apples, I do hear they are fabulous when canning!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9233366

I haven't seen any for sale since the batch I made, so I guess I'll have to plant a couple or 3...
MrsBoomer
Chapel Hill, NC

August 7, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9233423

My mother was partial to granny smith for applesauce, but I've used every kind of apple available. My grandmother made crab apple jelly every year, and it was amazing!
PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9251002

I use granny smith and galas for canning applesauce. I have found the tart apples usually work best. I made a run of cinnamon applesauce for ny neice and she loved it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 59 Nov 2, 2012 9:35 AM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America