Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Red bug on my yard long beans?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 10, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Carolina_Mike
Whitesburg, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9227782

On my chinese yard long beans are these bugs. They don't appear to be eating my leaves, but there are quite a few of these on the yard long beans leaves.

What are they?

Mike

Thumbnail by Carolina_Mike   Thumbnail by Carolina_Mike   Thumbnail by Carolina_Mike   Thumbnail by Carolina_Mike
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

August 3, 2012
3:43 AM

Post #9227863

Stink bug nymphs - maybe a predatory species - keep an eye on 'em...
Carolina_Mike
Whitesburg, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9227944

Stink bugs huh? I did a quick google search and came up with this: it is the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug. Very good job FlapDoodle. Thanks for the info. Here is info on them if anyone else has them: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/fletcher/programs/apple/entomology/insects-mites/BMSBfact.html

I have some hand picking to do...

Thanks again Flap
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

August 3, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9228014

Just be aware that there are several other species whose nymphs can have a very similar appearance...
Carolina_Mike
Whitesburg, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9229141

Thanks, they are exactly what you said they are. Now, I have them everywhere. Interestingly though...they are eating my cucumber leaves, and my luffa leaves, but are not touching the tomatoes or the yard long beans. Strange. Anyone know of a natural way to get rid of these besides my fingers?

Thanks, Mike

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9229171

Here ya go Mike...I think this link will help you with your problem...and it is safe and "natural" in that it contains no poisons.

http://stopstinkbugs.com/profiles/blogs/how-to-kill-stink-bugs-with-dish-soap?xg_source=activity
Carolina_Mike
Whitesburg, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9229391

Thank you, I will try that and report back the results.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9229507

Cool. There is also a product called Insecticidal soap...

http://www.saferbrand.com/store/garden-care/safer-brand?gclid=CIu1wunmzrECFUoKKgodsXgAcw

http://greenmethods.com/site/weblog/2009/05/understanding-insecticidal-soaps-and-detergents/

http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/lpro002/lpro002.htm

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9229728

Put some water in a sauce pan with some dish soap. Hold below the buggers and bop them. They will usually cooperate by droping right into the soapy water where they will drown almost instantly.
Carolina_Mike
Whitesburg, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9230354

Success! I put some dish soap and water 25:75 in a spray bottle and went along with the nozzle set on 'jet' and sprayed the ones I could see and they would fall off onto the ground where I would spray them some more :D while I enjoyed an evil laugh...Ha Ha HA HA! It worked well, they died in less than 20 seconds.

I also noticed something else quite interesting. I have a fair number of dirt-daubers (mud wasps) around, and today they were all over my garden. As it turns out, they were catching the smaller mid-developed stinkums and flying off with them. I assume they were putting them in the nests for food for baby wasps. Maybe dirt-daubers do have a use other than catching spiders. I have broken open their mud nests before and found them to be filled with spiders; even black widow spiders! Any creature that keeps spider populations in check is ok with me. Now, it seems they also like adolescent stink bugs. Now the mud wasp is earning a shrine in my living room.

Later, and thanks for the info folks.

Mike

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9230558

Good Deal. Glad you had success and got an Entomology lesson to boot. Grin

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America