Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Florida Gardening: everyone be careful out there

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 100, Views: 1,099
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9227980

i despise having to kill a snake but when a Coral Snake is feet away from my house/garden...it has to go.
i've killed two this week.
remember to wear gloves and boots, especially in mulched areas. this snake is nothing to fool around with. they are secretive and don't want a confrontation...they want to get away from you but if you accidently step on one or are digging in the dirt/mulch, they will bite.

for newcomers to florida, the Coral Snake has a BLACK, blunt, round nose like a earthworm. "nose black, get back" the coloration on the body goes all the way around, no white belly and the yellow & red touch each other. "red and yellow, kill a fellow". there are several snakes which have similar coloration but are not venomous.

if you can, keep your head and determine if what you see is a Coral Snake and not a King Snake or Corn Snake.

first pic is right side up and second pic is belly up.

ps. wanted to add that a "dead" snake can still bite due to nerve impulses so never handle one of these snakes. use a shovel to pick up and dispose of.

This message was edited Aug 3, 2012 9:50 AM

Thumbnail by trackinsand   Thumbnail by trackinsand
Click an image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9228455

Oh, Debi - that is so sad that you had to kill it - he's beautiful!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9229128

i know. they shine like jewels. they are related to Sea Snakes, Cobras and Mambas.
denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9229379

A few years back, my husband saw (what he thought was) the neighbor girl's "multi color jump rope" lying by our garage door. What a surprise when it MOVED.

This was at dusk, so he killed & left it to dispose of the next morning - it was gone, some scavenger must have taken it...

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9230332

I've never yet had to kill a snake in my yard. Never seen a venomous one yet, thankfully. I'm curious - how did you kill the coral snake? He looks perfectly intact in your picture.

I did have a black snake get entangled in some bird netting that I had put over my lychee tree. He kept diving back through the holes in the netting which were big enough for his head but not the fat part of his body. He wouldn't back up, and I couldn't get him untangled. He died, and I found just the remains in the netting a few days later. I've had possums around so I'm thinking that may have been the scavenger that made a meal of him. Also could have been a bird, I suppose.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9230360

those pictures are two different snakes but both killed the same way...with a shovel. i take the shovel and go down almost half way from the head and break the back. i keep pressure on it until i'm sure it's dying and then take the shovel behind the head and do the same thing. the shovel is in the second picture.

that bird netting is a death trap for snakes...and unfortunately it is the good snakes that get caught up in it. a coral snake can climb but it's rare to see and they could go right through most netting. they aren't a big snake.

it is so unfortunate that i made the decision to kill these but because they were in such close proximity to my house and dogs, i really felt i had no choice.

this picture shows the shovel better and most of the snake is underneath.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9230470

Yes, on the bird netting, that is absolutely the last time I'm going to use it. Felt terrible about the black snake. Plus the netting discouraged the birds, but the squirrels found their way under it and got most of the fruit anyway.

I rolled the netting up and stashed it away in a plastic tub with a lid, so I can cut little pieces of it to use for my orchids. It's great for tying orchid roots and moss to a wood mount. I have a lifetime supply.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2012 3:36 PM

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9230579

it's amazing how we can figure out a way to re-purpose stuff!
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 5, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9230677

Track - It is funny that you posted this, my sister-in-law and I were trying to remember the rhymes. She is worried that I will reach my hand into my flower bed and find a snake. I did just find a snake skin about 4 ft. long last weekend. I've never seen a coral snake here, but we have had pygmy rattlers in our yard. I always hate to kill anything either, but if it comes down to the snake or my dogs I'm afraid the snake will not be my choice.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9230692

we have those here too, as they are all over florida and beyond, but i have yet to see one.
a little 3 yr. old girl just recently got bitten on a nursery school playground in tampa.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9230708

This article in today's Charleston,SC newspaper is interesting, especially the last part about the available anti-venoms.
http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120805/PC1207/120809680/1018/pet-docs-knowledge-is-key-to-treating-snake-bites

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9230832

very interesting article!

here's another one on coral snakes: http://www2.tbo.com/news/metro/2010/may/24/na-red-red-touches-yellow---kills-a-fellow-touches-ar-40768/

kind of unnerving to think they won't be making any more antivenin.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9230858

I dug into a nest of baby pygmy rattlesnake last spring, cutting one in half - I felt so bad about it, but after reading about the damage they can cause, I felt a bit better. I haven't seen one this year.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9238392

Kay,
Years ago I was mowing sitting on our Gravely mower sulky-ran over a pigmy rattler and didn't know they could strike a short distance. My ankle nearly got it. I turned mower around and he ended up in pieces. Any venomous snake on our place is history. I do have a friendly black snake that is in my garden from time to time. He is OK and he will run off rattlers I'm told. I keep all yard area mowed because of snakes. Have only seen 2 big rattlers here in 42 years and thats enough for me. Shot both of them. One was coiled and rattling on my carport in front of my AC unit. Had to wait for him to move out into yard before I could shoot him. Really un-nerved me. After my knees felt like jelly. I have seen what they can do to dogs and cows and it ain't pretty. Ug just thinking of them.
Bonnie
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9240485

trackinsand
Yes very venomous snake but a very shy snake with a VERY small mouth. Less then 1 % of venomous snake bites are due to this guy.
I've seen them in wood piles here and just let them alone. From what I understand to make them bite you have to basically force them to do it.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9240701

yes, you are right. both of these were at my front and back doors and could be easily stepped on either by me or my dogs or i wouldn't have killed them.
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9247836

Coral snakes really are very pretty. Few years back we had one INSIDE our screen room...it is now sitting in a jar of alcohol. We have dogs and at the time the grands lived just up the road...snake was way too close for comfort!!! I welcome the black, corn and oak snakes in my yard. Will look for my pic of "Mz. Annie" to post

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9247847

the fact that they aren't very big around in diameter makes it fairly easy for them to get inside.
they are probably the prettiest snake i've ever seen but there are some very cool king snakes that live in florida that i would love to see up close. some of the coloring is amazing.
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9247925

I agree..never have seen a king. This is Mz. Annie...and yes, I did get up close and personal.

Thumbnail by Ginger_H   Thumbnail by Ginger_H

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9247927

Ginger, she's gorgeous! Leave it to you to make a pet of a snake!!! LOL
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9247956

LOL, Jo...actually he/she was half in the dog run. Had to "pop" it on the nose so it would back out. I did NOT want the dogs to get it...after that we were buds and he/she helped me water.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9248022

I've got glass snakes in the back yard and the front yard - not the least bit afraid of me - just go on about their business, as do I!
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9248093

Is that what that one is? A glass snake? I've never seen one. It is a beauty!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9248113

no tim, glass snakes are this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_snake they're really a lizard. they are so neat. it's sad when they get on a hard surface though (like a road). they can't move then. if i see a live one, i help it to the grass but i see them run over too. since they can't maneuver on hardscape, i can't figure out how they even get on the road in the first place but they do.

i'm not sure what the above snake is, mz. annie. i'll have to check my snake book or ginger will come back and tell us.

best i can tell, mz. annie is a Grey Rat Snake (aka Oak Snake)

This message was edited Aug 20, 2012 7:31 PM

this is the one i want to see, the Blotched Kingsnake (and all it's colorations) http://www.google.com/search?q=blotched+kingsnake&hl=en&tbo=u&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=iMkyUMPwJo6m8ASvkYHwDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CF0QsAQ&biw=1125&bih=587

This message was edited Aug 20, 2012 7:36 PM
ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 20, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9248267

coral snakes like to live-in brush piles and thick pine needle straw. Show kids pictures so they can tell the difference from the good and bad snakes. Here is a cute little grass snake aka ribbon snake we found out in the woods.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9248274

i agree, john. it's important to be educated. he's a cutie!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 21, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9248731

I'm glad I read this today...a good reminder since I have to go out and pick up a lot of my plastic container pots to take to the nursery. I'll make sure to put on rubber boots and wear long leather gloves.

We have a couple of black snakes around the yard but I haven't seen them for awhile. I know my back neighbor has grandkids she watches and she told me any snake in her yard will meet with the shovel. We haven't seen our snakes around for a few weeks now...so she may have killed them. You just can't seem to get it through to some people that there are good snakes. I'd rather have those snakes around than the rat I've seen late at night.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9248764

more than once i've picked up a pot, only to find a snake underneath! usually it is the Scarlet Kingsnake, a small burrowing snake that looks very much like a Coral Snake. http://www.google.com/search?q=scarlet+kingsnake&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=CpwzUJPIIYGk8ATgi4G4Bg&sqi=2&ved=0CEsQsAQ&biw=1125&bih=587 or the Scarlet Snake, which also looks like a Coral Snake but has a red nose and white belly. http://www.google.com/search?q=scarlet+snake&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=uJwzUKqoHJLE9gTKn4DwBw&sqi=2&ved=0CFEQsAQ&biw=1125&bih=587
i think the fear of snakes is such a powerful phobia with a lot of people. they just can't abide the thought of any snake being good...:-(
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9248771

I certainly agree with that sunkissed! We've seen a couple of rats at night around the mess from the bird feeders. I have 2 Boston Terriers, and one of them got a rat last week. When I see a snake in the garden, I feel that I must be doing something right! A wonderful part of nature. Education is very important!
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9248776

Thanks track, those links are definitely helping me to learn more about these creatures! :-)

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9248782

you're welcome, tim. here are more pictures of the Glass Snake we discussed yesterday. keep in mind that with google images, not all pictures will be a match (same with plants) but it gives you an idea: http://www.google.com/search?q=glass+snake&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=SqAzUJzwDIf-9QSCoIDwBw&sqi=2&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1125&bih=587
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9248803

Thank goodness it wasnt that coral snake, but this a.m. I was talking to my daughter in my bedroom and looked over towards the french doors, what did I spy but a rat snake crawling along the molding and up the glass on the door. Once I realized it was outide not inside, I was elated to see it. Every year we have rats/mice eat thru the screen door, get under the sink on the patio, no matter what we seem to do. I really dont like to be a party to anything eating anything ( having trouble with hawks at the feeder..another story), but if it can at least help me get rid of some of those babies, Im all for it. I left the bedroom tho because I didnt want to see it come back with a big bulge. Too much info.
Sorry, long way of agreeing with the above opinions of knowing your snake.
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9249011

tracks is right...Mz. Annie is an oak snake. I often see black snakes in the yard as well. Once a hognose AKA puff adder got in the screen room. Got the camera, got a picture, tried for another and the LCD screen fried. Guess that snake just scared the camera to death ROTFLMAO...still takes pics, but no preview.
ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 21, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9249222

the boys in our Sunday School went out hiking and they all got to "hold" the snake we found.
Some boys were sqeemish until we showed them how harmless this one was.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn   Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9249384

i'll never forget one time years ago when my then nine yr. old daughter and i were living in arkansas. she was always bringing things home. she was allowed to keep something for three days and then had to turn it loose. so she brings home this snake and she starts screaming that it's choking to death and gets me so worked up and pleading with me to help it and here i am trying to stick my finger down this snake's throat. all of a sudden i stopped and busted out laughing. i could barely breath. it was a hognose of course and was playing dead...and doing a pretty darn good job of it. i had to explain to her to let alone and it would come around and she was fascinated by the whole thing. i was just red-faced...
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9250271

LOL...yes they are very good at playing dead :-)))
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9250355

o my lord, I never knew that. So glad to have learned that, especially if that snake resides in FL

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9250431

yes, they live here. it looks scary because it has a funny shaped head (to me anyway) and a short, fat body but look at these pictures when it gets scared! LOL http://www.google.com/search?q=eastern+hognose+snake+playing+dead&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_181UPytFZOi8QSWqoGABw&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1125&bih=587
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9250550

trackinsand, Again, thanks SO much! I read your post about the hognose, but had never seen or heard of it before. The link has given me great insight to this variety, and it does appear to be a huge variety! This information just reiterates to me how little I know! Time for me to "hit the books" and start learning more about our wildlife! Thanks again!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9250601

you're welcome, tim. i've only seen one hognose in eight years here in central florida and it was a treat.

check out the Florida's Fabulous series of books. great pictures and lots of interesting facts...on amazon.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 9:47 PM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9251343

I've encounter a baby one here. It was not much larger than a pencil but it displayed all the bravado of a larger, older one. This skinny little thing reared up like a cobra and tried to strike at me, this happened several times and when that did not do the trick it rolled over and played dead. It was hysterical.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9251758

Snakes, in general, are great to have around...but the venomous ones are the snakes you don't need to feel guilty about getting rid of. My brother's lab was bitten by a pygmy rattler and died. He replaces his dog with another lab, but 3 years later he heard the dog barking in the driveway, and there was another pygmy rattler coiled up. He grabbed the dogs collar to pull it away and take it inside, and the rattler struck and bit his hand. He had "over the allowed quota" of anti-venom, and still almost lost his arm. After a month in the hospital, and an arm the size of the Hindenberg, it finally started to go down. The problem with the swelling is that it isn't water swelling within the tissue, but the actual tissue itself swells. They were just about to cut long slices with scalpels, from armpit to wrist, an inch apart, over and over, to get rid of the swelling and not allow the swollen tissue to explode the arm. Of course, it also would have left him pretty much without the use of one arm. He said the pain, even several years later, was nothing he had ever experienced before in his life (this is the guy who suffered a major heart attack and died several times on the table from it, and finally passed away from total body cancer) but the bite and it's aftermath, was the pain he couldn't forget!
That's NOT the kind of snake I need in my yard! Florida has limited venemous snakes...6 I believe. Coral snakes, rattlers, pygmy rattlers, cottonmouth, copper heads, and 1 more, but off the top of my head I don't remember the other 2.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9252407

Boy am I getting a snake education from this thread.
I've never seen a rattler in FL, and we have camped all around the state for well over twenty years. My husband has lived here all his life and said he only has seen one. I have seen coral snakes a few times. I guess I've just been lucky.
I have had so many encounters with other types of snakes though.
Once in the Keys I was taking a late shower in the bath house and looked down and a huge yellow rat snake was all around the perimeter of the shower stall floor, with me in the middle...naked. Not fun. ☺

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 3:56 PM
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9252489

sunkissed...Honestly the few venemous snakes we have around here don't usually pose too much of a problem With only 6 of them..2 of them are rattlers and make noise, one is brightly colored, and copperheads are mostly in northern Florida. So that takes down the risk, unless you mess with them. Cotton mouth's certainly show themselves, so just leave immediately! They can be aggressive. Most of the time I'm more freaked out by Cuban Tree Frogs and Black Widow spiders! I've only seen one scorpion (alive) and they're creepy too! :)

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9252536

i'm still laughing over alice's pencil-sized hognose! so funny!

i'm in the "need for education" camp on all things, but especially when it comes to things like snakes, whose pros far outweigh their cons. merrymary is absolutely right about everything she said.

we had lots of scorpions in the keys but i've never seen one here. i'll tell you what i'm more afraid of than snakes (but mostly for my dog's sakes) are the huge two-striped walking sticks. they give me the creeps but the fact that they can spit venom and aim for the eyes makes me jumpy. you can suffer immediate blindness and must wash out the eyes right away or there can be permanent damage. they're either on the ground by the door when i walk out or else climbing the brick and just about eye level with me...
my dog who is the snake killer and totally fearless, will jump two feet straight up if she comes up on one suddenly so i know she's been zapped before (in her former running the roads life).
we are just coming into season on them now. i've seen four but by end of fall, i will have seen at least a hundred. what's weird is that the first four years we lived here, i never saw one. http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/301/#b

http://www.google.com/webhp?sa=N&tab=lw#hl=en&sugexp=les%3Bcqn%2Ccconf%3D1.0%2Cmin_length%3D2%2Crate_low%3D0.035%2Crate_high%3D0.035%2Csecond_pass%3Dfalse%2Cnum_suggestions%3D2%2Cignore_bad_origquery%3Dtrue&gs_nf=1&cp=11&gs_id=16&xhr=t&q=two+striped+walking+stick&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=two+striped&gs_l=&pbx=1&fp=1&biw=1125&bih=587&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&cad=b

i hope i'm not giving anyone nightmares!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 25, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9253044

Holy cow! Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware that they spit!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9253096

^_^

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

August 25, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9253163

Hey Debi, Is this the critters of which you speak? As you can imagine we are getting ready for some heavy weather down here.

Scott

Thumbnail by olddude

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9253173

that's them, scott. the little one on top is the male. coloring seems to be varied. yours looks more brown while mine are almost black with distinctive yellow stripes. they aren't aggressive and move rather slowly. i just watch out this time of year, especially in the garden where they are camouflaged. if they feel threatened, they will spit.

yes, tuned to the weather channel as we speak. last i heard, the storm surge was predicted at about 7' which would mean about 3' in our old house on tavernier. the reef eats up some of it, as you know.
stay safe and keep in touch here, if you can, so we know what's going on down there.

debi

pic of my houses in tavernier.

Thumbnail by trackinsand   Thumbnail by trackinsand   Thumbnail by trackinsand   Thumbnail by trackinsand   

LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9253175

I've never killed ANY snake in my yard venomous or not. Guess what no rat ot mouse problems here at my house on natural wetlands in North Fl.
I do kill grasshoppers thou and sure there is a place in Buddha's reborn hell for me . I just don't understand killing a snake as it may do something to you sometime in the future . I camp , I hike, I garden and I leave them alone and they do the same for me.
I think killing a snake just to do it is wrong . Sorry but think that the talking snake in the bible made people odd and killers.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9253194

see ya there!

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

August 25, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9253280

Geez I love living down here! Just went out and did a bit of recon, the grocery store is mellow as can be with nobody needing to panic buy...they are already prepared. Very few homes have thier shutters down yet, no lines at the gas stations. Had three locals ask if I needed any help getting ready. Talked to a friend in Bonita Springs and she said people are freaking out which is what happens when you don't STAY prepared.

All I really have left to do is set down about 80 hanging baskets but I want to wait til the last minute or the Key Deer will have a feast. I'll keep you posted.

Tryin' to reason with hurricane season.
Scott

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9253290

we loved it there too and i agree with you. conchs have been through it all before; been there and done that. we know how to stay prepared!

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9253346

Staying prepared is always the way to go. I always chuckle at the people buying batteries and water at the last minute. Duh, they have been talking about this storm for days... As low as the Lowcountry is, our home would be underwater were a storm to come this way and there are mandatory evacuations. We have 7' tides on a normal day and they are often 9' during the fall moon tides. To avoid the traffic we always get out of dodge long before the official call, we just consider it an unplanned vacation. If the storm turns away, no biggie, we have had a good time with family and friends.

Now I don't want you to think I am suggesting anything but, one of my friends swears by his personal brand of deer repellent. He relieves himself around the plants he does not want the deer to chomp on. With all your neighbors evacuated you could have at it. LOL

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9253500

roflol @ alice's suggestion!
i have a sneaky feeling that scott already does that more than he'll admit to...:-)

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

August 25, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9253541

I have been known to recycle nutrients by adding a bit of ammoniacal nitrogen to my landscape plants but unfortunately the subspecies of the Virginia Whitetail known as Key Deer (or lovingly refered to as Long Legged Rats when eating my plants or strewing garbage from my freshly knocked over trash cans) are so completely innured to human contact that they can care less.
They laugh at our savage Dachshund when she attempts to protect our gardens. They have figured out the gate code to our 5' chainlink fence and pass it around at secret Key Deer parties. They send in their buddies the iguanas to taste test various botanical species for them. They have learned to munch only the costliest and rarest cultivars, working their way down the horticultural buffet by unerringly and systematically destroying plants...and after 35 years have I learned the lesson to only grow what they don't eat...no, I haven't...sigh.
Scott

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

August 25, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9253548

The culprits.
Scott

Thumbnail by olddude

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9253572

LOL, well, take care and get those baskets down before they come through the windows. Stay safe.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9253581

we never really learn when it comes to coveting plants! roflol
...and i like your explanation too...i needed a good giggle.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9253637

Take your WIND CHIMES down and bring them in, or spend the next 2 months TRYING to untangle them! Ask me how I know this!!!!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9253644

that's the first thing i bring in! i KNOW! LOL

been thinking about you K. stay safe up there...you might get hit pretty bad from what i'm seeing so far.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9253695

I've killed two pygmy rattlers this week. With all the rain they are coming up from the wildlife management area that our property backs up to.
With a 5 year old grandson, a Beagle, outdoor cats and some of my riding students are younger kids...I'm not taking any chance.
The first one I spied laying along the edge of one of the flower beds on the coquina rock...they other was inches away from my hand while I was weeding.

Kay, yup looks like you might get a pretty good hit from this.
We may get some rain and pretty breezy so I'll be bringing some of the hanging pots and orchids under cover...but other wise we aren't too worried.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9253726

Thanks, Debi and Martha - this will be my first BAD storm, so if they even hint that we need to evacuate, we're heading to Atlanta.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9253730

still chuckling over those secret deer parties...
mjs, gotta love those beagles. excessive rain always brings more than just lush greenery in florida-lots of stuff heading for higher ground.
depending on where your property is, i'd say a ride to atlanta sounds good but then sometimes you end up driving into worse weather that way...wherever you go, plan on staying a few days till it's north of you.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9253737

meant to add this picture of our old, long departed, much loved beagle...kopperdabeagle. she was a rescue from a dumpster at kopperman's deli in st.louis. this picture was in the keys. she was after the cat's food that we had in a beagle-proof area. gotta give her credit for trying.

Thumbnail by trackinsand

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

August 26, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9253988

Great beagle picture!! Got those baskets down, somehow their number has swollen from 80 to 103...Humm how did that happen? ;) Just as I got them down on the ground I noticed a freaked out deer running around the yard. The story of my life...but I guess she will have a pre-storm banquet. The dachshunds had to be forced out the door and had no interest in property protection.

The wind is getting gusty with the rainy feeder bands. As Jimmy Buffet said..."time to close the shutters, time to go inside..."

Life is a breeze in the Fl Keys
Scott

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9254014

here's hoping you're on the south side...
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9254022

Be safe, everyone - you are in my prayers.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9254266

Scott that is too funny about the Key deer...I love the photo. Hope you fare well while this storm blows by you.

Hey Kay we have reservations in a couple weeks at St. Andrews state park...have you ever been there? Meeting up with some of my cooking friends there for an annual gathering. I sure hope these storms don't take aim on you...or reach that Cat 2 status.

I guess I should go out and take down my hanging plants and wind-chimes. put the umbrellas in the shed...but a part of me says don't worry about it. I'll wait until I see if the wind picks up...calm as can be here.

Hope everyone stays safe while this thing blows on by...I just heard a transformer blow...weird because we don't have any wind yet. My poor cats hit the ceiling...we still have Internet and lights...so I'm good.
-Sherri

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

August 26, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9254311

We are just getting our first really good storm cell in a feeder band. Lost one good sized Buttonwood branch 8"-10" dia.
So far so good still have power.

Scott
"Squalls out on the gulfsteam,
big storms comin' soon..."

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9254315

Sherri, yes - I've been to St. Andrew's park - just more beach and a jetty.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9254619

i read that the Buttonwood (a Mangrove cousin) is designed to break limbs during storms so that the main trunk stays intact. it must be true. every storm we had, the Buttonwood branches would fall like rain.

looks like Big Pine had its share of wind. we had two rain bands, one with some gusty wind but no big shakes. i guess we'll get more tonight. hope the keys will be out of it soon.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9254701

I agree track, as of now…We in the Northeast corner have had 1 band come through, but supposed to be expecting many more , Mon.- Wed. Good thoughts heading down to all of you South! And West! Stay Safe All!
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9255490

[quote="trackinsand"]meant to add this picture of our old, long departed, much loved beagle...kopperdabeagle. she was a rescue from a dumpster at kopperman's deli in st.louis. this picture was in the keys. she was after the cat's food that we had in a beagle-proof area. gotta give her credit for trying.[/quote]

What a sweet looking dog ! Even tho he's not mine I'd miss em too !

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9255494

she was a sweetheart; that's for sure.
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9255504

[quote="trackinsand"]she was a sweetheart; that's for sure.[/quote]

Ugh sorry not He but SHE . Have five girls here all Dachshunds .
What a face your girl had . Beagles are the bomb ! But as you can tell sorta a hound person.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9255613

we had an inch so far today but it might be starting to clear up.
sherri, how are doing over there? looks like the east coast is getting beat up pretty bad with flooding.
kay, going or staying?

i like hounds too but i don't usually get to pick. we just end up with what comes our way...! ^_^
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9255617

Deb, I am doing o.k. We currently have 20 m.p.h. sustained winds and a few sprinkles - the real stuff won't hit until the tide comes in around 7 p.m.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9255710

(((kay)))
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9255825

Not much going on here either. A few drops and a tad of gusts...nothing to write home about. The dogs aren't even freaked out...they usually do when bad weather is headed this way. Hopeing for rain, but the wind can STAY AWAY.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9255837

i hear ya.

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

August 28, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9256746

Isaac was kind of a nonevent with a high wind gust of 70 offsore of Key West. Only about 3" of rain here.
Some folks complain when a storm turns out to be less than the hype that surrounds it. They feel that all the work they do in preparing was for naught. I on the other hand have been prepping for these things for 35 years and love it when the storms is a small one. This allows me to find the holes in my plan.

For instance I found that the garage door kept creeping back up in the wind and we couldn't find the key to lock it. Several shutters were stubborn to close even though the were worked over in May. Living on the open saltwater is tough on equipment.

Good luck to all the DG northern Gulfcoast folks. Make your preps now...its never a waste of time.

Scott

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9256814

i'm glad to hear you say that, scott.
i always prepared when a threat was coming, even though more than half the time it ended up being for naught. i just counted myself lucky during those times.
i hope everyone heeds your good advice and i hope you find that elusive key!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9257071

Here in NW Florida, at the present time, we are seeing 30 m.p.h. sustained winds and 6-8' waves, but still no rain.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9257085

Good to hear you're hanging in there, Kay. We received little to know wind, and only a couple inches of rain. Whew!
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9257200

An Alert just came…Sounds like we in NE. Fl. are about to get slammed. Could this be the trailing end of Isaac for us? Sure hope so. They are alerting of possible tornadoes. Hard to believe…The sun is bright at the moment!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9257217

tlm1 - I just happened to be looking at the radar as I have riding lessons scheduled to teach this afternoon...looks like not for me.
There's a pretty good sized Thunderstorm headed towards Jax too.
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 28, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9257659

Hi All -

So glad we weathered the storm and were lucky. I agree with Scott, I hate to hear people comment that they prepared for nothing. I would much rather prepare for nothing than to not be prepared and get a surprise. I think NOAA and the hurricane hunters are so afraid of having another Charlie or Katrina that they would much rather us be warned.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
4:02 AM

Post #9257903

Louisiana sure is a wretched mess this morning - be glad you 'prepared for nothing' - it could have easily landed on us. Please pray for all those folks in Isaac's path - they are really getting beaten up by this storm.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9257974

"wretched mess" sure sums it up.
all those people in towns along the mouth of the M. river with only dirt levees for protection...why didn't they evacuate? now they're on their rooftops waiting for rescue.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9257999

Been praying for days over Isaac that all in its path would be kept safe.
Yes, I definitely agree better to be prepared than not.
Bonnie
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9258009

Deb, they didn't evacuate because they had to place to evacuate to and no way to get there. IMHO, since it is such a poverty-stricken area, the Federal Government should shoulder the responsibility of helping these folks evacuate - instead, they shut down all bridges and public transportation - way to go, F.G.!!!!!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9258041

i don't want to get political on this thread...it's been too good so far and i would hate to see it yanked. i will say that the federal government can't and shouldn't be expected to do everything for everyone. the local departments and the neighbor helping neighbor system works the best and i've heard this before about people having nowhere to go and no one to help them. i'm sorry. i just don't believe that. if it is true, then shame on the local authorities and the local residents for not responding to the plight of their less fortunate neighbors ahead of time.

and that's all i'm going to say about that. ^_^
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9258175

Deb, I thought the SAME as you - don't want this to turn into a debate, etal. End of my comments have just been posted.

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2013
5:09 AM

Post #9430667

"Red touch yellow, kills a fellow. Red touch black, venom lack."
Martha
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9430768

Red Touch Yellow, Kills a Fellow. Red Touch Black, Friend of Jack.

09.18.2008 - Many people have heard this rhyme for snake identification, even though very few people will ever encounter any of the snake species involved. For some reason, it's simply a popular rhyme, and people seem to remember the idea that there's some rhymey phrase out there to help distinguish between venomous snakes and safe ones. The snakes in question are the venomous Coral Snake, and a number of copycats, such as the Scarlet King Snake and the Florida Scarlet Snake. Oftentimes in nature, a species will mimic the appearance of a dangerous species, for protection. One such example is the Viceroy Butterfly, which looks very similar to a Monarch Butterfly. The Monarch is poisonous and tastes bad, so the Viceroys that look more like Monarchs don't get eaten, and thus the species evolved to look like the monarch. This is called Batesian Mimicry. The same goes for several snake species. Animals know to stay away from the venomous Coral Snake, so a similar color pattern has helped other snake species survive.

There's one little glitch, however. Though the mimic snakes have a similar size and shape, and the same Red-Black-Yellow color scheme, the order of the pattern is off. For some reason, most of the mimics, which probably started out as striped snakes of a kind, have black bands every other color. The coral snake is the only one that has alternating yellow bands. Thus, with the Coral snake, the red band touches the yellow band, and with the mimics, the red band touches the black band. In order to help folk remember, a man named "Fat" Jack Loticus developed the rhyme in 1862. There are a few different variations shown below, and the first is the original, and the others are variations popular in different regions of the country:
Red touches yellow, kills a fellow. Red touches black, friend of Jack

Red touch yellow, kills a fellow. Red touch black, venom lack.

Red touch yellow, death says hello. Black touch red, keep your head.

Yellow touch red, you be dead. Red touch black, eat Cracker Jack.

Red and yellow mingle, bite feel a tingle. Red and black hug, sing a song, you lug.

Red and yellow cohabitate, soon you will suffocate. Red and black together, in for sunny weather.

Red leans on yellow, legs turn to jell-o. Red leans on black, keep a strong back.

Yellow brushes red, snake gets fed. Red brushes black, snake gets no snack.

Snake of black and yellow and red, soon a stupid rhyme is said.

I learned the rhyme in 7th grade from my biology teacher. He told me the original version by Jack Loticus. However, I've been involved in nuisance wildlife trapping and snake control for many years, and I have heard all of the above regional variations at one time or another. I suspect that even more exist. The great irony of these mnemonic devices for snake memory is that some people discover a snake, and during the time they take to carefully jog their memory for the correct rhyme, the snake has often bitten and slithered off, leaving the person standing with furrowed brow, his fate already sealed.

Of course, the ability to simply identify a snake on sight, without the use of silly rhymes, is a better approach, so just study the appearance of the Coral Snake seen above, and you'll recognize it if you see it. Many people also know to look for the black nose, which the mimic snakes lack. However, the real best approach when discovering an unknown snake is to simply leave it alone. Virtually all cases of snakebite occur when people attempt to capture or kill snakes. The Coral Snake in particular is very shy and reclusive, and it has no intention of biting. In fact, it has a tiny mouth and small fangs, and you have to be pretty careless to get envenomated. So I propose a new rhyme: "Just leave snakes alone, chappy, and everybody goes home happy".
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9430916

The black nose is the easiest thing to remember, the rhymes confuse people all the time. I also remember it by the traffic light warning colors (red and yellow) If they are touching on the snake, WARNING!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9431210

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 8:16 AM

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2013
4:49 AM

Post #9431992

That is funny David. I've seen a few coral snakes while hiking, never thought about them being worth money.
ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 3, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9470969

see pic from web

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9476488

I like turtles

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America