Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Vermicomposting: comfrey as feed and snail bait

Communities > Forums > Vermicomposting
bookmark
Forum: VermicompostingReplies: 5, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
comfreygirl
Salem, VA

August 3, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9228183

Hello,

The Bocking #4 we have growing from Coe's Comfrey roots makes fine worm and animal feed.
Yes, it is good slug bait.
Yes, I use it as medicinal tea.

What amazes me about this plant never ceases.

I have heard that comfrey is the botanical tea against which all other's are measured.

A many faceted gift; as rich as the ground in which it grown, of course.

I am now learning more about the relationship between silica content and calcium uptake/ utilization in plants and animals.

As an agronomist, I am delighted with the gifts of comfrey.

The more comfrey we feed our worms the better; better than newspaper for sure.

Levels of silica are high in bamboo, horestail, horsechestnut,and comfrey

Apparently with silica being a hidden requirement for growth, resiliance, and strength; comfrey's many benefits are in part due to it's being rich in silica.

Comfrey provides for you easy opportunity to grow this cheap source of nutrients.

As silica makes for strong support structures of cells; it also influences the uptake and utilization of calcium in all it's important roles.

All effects of comfrey add up to a develope systemic acquired resistence, drought tolerance, and of course, the best worm food since cantelope.

I say that bamboo is fine if you can get the shoots early enough to make use of it as a manure tea or food source.

Bamboo also provides excellent innoculation with beneficial microbes.

Horsetail and horsechestnut are a little hard to come by for some without searching.

So comfrey takes the prize for being the easiest plant to grow your own compost manure and worm food.

With it's huge levels of nutrients and off the chart K levels combined with it's quickly available form; worms love it.

Soil microbes love it.

We love it !
Mn_Lost_Boy
Marine on Saint Croi, MN

August 3, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9228193

SO... we have a lot of comfrey but fail to figure out how to "Manage" it. Any suggestions?
We have many compost piles and cows, pigs and chickens...

Click the image for an enlarged view.

comfreygirl
Salem, VA

August 3, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9228303

Mn_Lost_boy
Thanks for your description of situation is unbelievablly sweet sounding...lots of comfrey!

So that's a loaded questionthat begs to be answered quickly.

So this is my short answer:
Cut the largest leaves off 2" from soil.
Some cover with 2x water and others just cram the leaves into a container/ let sit at least 70F for as long as possible.

When some liquid occurs; pour it off dilute 20 X pour on soil/plants.
Even at that dilution, I won't promise that it can't burn. 20:1 is usually safe.
But as always first time experiments should test with your less than favorite plants.

I personally find stronger dilutions acceptable to most of the plants that I grow.

And of course the worms race to eat it whole!

Feed some fresh leaves to animals.

Chop up some into worm bed and layer in compost pile. It has lots of water already in the leaves.

If you want to drink it just blend some leaves/soak them until the tea is barely opaque/strain to drink. You can add more water for several servings.

I feel using dried leaves are best for making drinking teas; as the water gets real dark real fast.

The trick is to not let it soak too long if you plan to drink it.

After about 24 hrs it tastes rank.

:)
cg

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9373074

Could you speak more on how comfrey aids in calcium uptake? This is a very interesting topic for tomato growers battling Blossom End Root (BER) which stems from the plant's inability to take in much-needed calcium.

Could a COMFREY tea on tomato plants be the answer to staving off BER?

Thanks!

Linda

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9377950

I think COMFREY (or should it be just Comfrey?) sounds delightful. As I am trying to figure out what to plant in my second house - in Florida- I wanted more Comfrey info, like how do I get some, what does it look like, what pests attack it, will it grow all year long in Zone10? Is it an invasive pest plant in (near) South Florida? I think Brazilian pepper is enough of a pest for me, it's all around.

Any information, true, humorous, or false, will be greatly appreciated. Note: please let me know if information is false so I won't spend too much time on it. Thank you.

Paul.
01cookie
Halfmoon Bay, BC, BC
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9415348

I have comfrey in a pot as I was told it can be invasive on the West Coast, Canada - zone 8. Have also been told comfrey seeds are sterile. Comments please.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Vermicomposting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vermicomposting anyone? margaran 74 Jan 31, 2008 9:09 PM
vermicomposting margaran 214 May 2, 2008 1:26 PM
Vermicomposting-2 margaran 92 Feb 15, 2008 2:36 AM
Welcome to the new Vermicomposting forum! Terry 16 Jul 21, 2013 6:32 PM
wrigglers? kooger 19 Jul 16, 2008 2:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America