Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: processing pears-any good jam recipes or tasty ideas?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 3, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Joyous1
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

August 3, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9228386

Got a bunch of pears from a coworker that I need to process. Some are going into the freezer cut up w/lemon juice and the
rest I'm wanting to turn into preserves of some sort. Looking forward to hearing ideas and thanks in advance to those who
respond with recipe input.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9228511

Pear Preserves

4 pounds pears
3 pounds sugar
4 cups water
2 lemons, sliced

Select firm, slightly under-ripe pears. Peel and cut into quarters or eighths, depending on size of pear. If Pineapple or Kieffer pears are used, they should be boiled in clear water until they can be pierced with a fork (about 20 minutes). Make syrup with water pears were boiled in. Add sliced lemon and bring to boil. Place pears in syrup and cook until the fruit has a clear, transparent appearance and syrup gives the jelly test. Pour mixture into a shallow pan and let fruit plump overnight. Heat to boiling and pack in preheated jars. Seal and
process 5 minutes in boiling water bath canner.

Pear Pickles
2 quarts (8 cups) sugar
1 quart (4 cups) white vinegar (5%)
1 pint (2 cups) water
8 cinnamon sticks (2-inch pieces)
2 tablespoons whole cloves
2 tablespoons whole allspice
8 pounds (4-5 quarts) pears or other pickling pear
Yield: About 7 or 8 pint jars

Procedure: Combine sugar, vinegar, water and cinnamon sticks; add cloves and allspice that are tied in a clean, thin, white cloth. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer, covered, about 30 minutes.

Wash pears, remove skins, and all of blossom end; the stems may be left on if desired. If pears are large, halve or quarter. To prevent peeled pears from darkening during preparation, immediately after peeling, put them into a cold solution containing teaspoon ascorbic acid per 2 quarts water.

Drain pears just before using.

Add drained pears to the hot syrup, bring to a boil, lower heat and continue simmering for another 20 to 25 minutes.

Pack hot pears into hot pint jars; add one 2-inch piece cinnamon stick per jar. Cover pears with boiling syrup, leaving -inch headspace and making sure pears are covered by the syrup. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a Boiling Water Canner.

Pear Relish
2 gallons pears
6 large onions
6 sweet green peppers
6 sweet red peppers
1 bunch celery
3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon allspice
1 tablespoon salt
5 cups vinegar (5%)
Yield: About 10 pint jars

Procedure: Wash the pears, onions, peppers and celery in cold water. Peel and core the pears. Remove stems and seeds from the peppers. Clean the celery; peel the onions. Put pears and vegetables through a food chopper. Stir the sugar, allspice, salt and vinegar into the chopped mixture and let stand, covered, overnight in the refrigerator.

Heat the relish mixture to boiling; simmer 5 minutes. Pack hot relish into hot pint jars, leaving inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a Boiling Water Canner.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9228546

One of my favorite preserved pear recipes is Fiona's Belgian Pears.
http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/bottled-fruit-belgian-pears-recipe-101/
http://tinyurl.com/caoqfrv

I also love chutneys...
Pear Chutney Recipe
http://www.allotment.org.uk/recipes/chutneys/pear-chutney

* 3 lb (1.4 kg) pears
* 2 cooking apples
* 1 lb (450 g) onions
* 1 lb (450 g) seedless raisins
* 1 teaspoon hot chili powder or cayenne pepper
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1 garlic clove
* 1 teaspoon salt
* teaspoon nutmeg
* Juice and grated rind of 2 lemons
* 1 lb (450 g) soft brown sugar
* 1 pint (570 ml) white distilled vinegar (I use champagne vinegars for my chutneys, less harsh than distilled vinegar)

1. Peel, core and chop the pears and apples. Peel and chop the onions. Crush the garlic.

2. Put all of the ingredients into a large pan with the vinegar and stir well with a wooden spoon.

3. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce to a simmer and continue simmering for around 2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until it is thick.

4. Ladle into hot, clean, sterilized jars, cover and seal.

5. Label when fully cool.

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9228594

Hi darius! I love relish and chutneys.

I'll keep your chutney recipe for next year, I just prune the pear trees.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America