CLOSED: Royal Tern with Orange Legs?

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, that is the question. Do juvi Royal Terns have orange legs? Can't find that written anywhere but then I'm still guide-book challenged. Included are pics with a normal looking Royal Tern.

Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba
Charleston, SC

A small percentage of juveniles in Royal Tern populations have yellow-orange legs according to David Sibley.

http://sibleyguides.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html

Interesting. I don't think I've ever noticed this. Thanks for posting!

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for finding that info. Couldn't figure out why my guide said that juvies had yellowish bills but didn't bother to mention the orange legs which are more obvious. Guess they're only obvious if they have 'em!

Thanks again.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Interesting one, surprisingly bright orange, not just 'muddy-orange' as might be more expected.

A Cabot's Tern in the 3rd pic too.

Resin

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Glad you said that Resin b/c I thought it was a Gull-billed Tern. There were a ton of Cabot's/Sandwich terns around.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from Elphaba :
Glad you said that Resin b/c I thought it was a Gull-billed Tern. There were a ton of Cabot's/Sandwich terns around.

Gull-billed has a shorter, stouter bill, and no black on the nape in non-breeding plumage (just a black eye patch, similar to non-breeding Forster's)

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.