Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Catts and Phals

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

I don't know what it is, but I just can't seem to get a Catt type to re-bloom. My only success has been a gerberara. Phals only do a little better for me. Moving them around to different light levels, etc just doesn't seem to work. I know these are supposed to be the 'easy' orchids, but I don't find it so. I have cyms, dracula, Encyclia, Masdevallia, Miltoniopsis and even Neofinetia falcata doing well and blooming on schedule. Any helpful hints?

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Sure wish I could help you, Ted! My Phals do well, but the Catt alliance...some do, some don't. By the way, the Neo. you gave me has a spike.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Outstanding, Carol. I split that off some time ago like we talked about. Never bloomed, The mother plant is showing 5 spikes. Must be its time of year in SoCAL

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

My Phals seem to bloom when there is a temp & lighting change. So when I move them inside in the Fall/Winter and then when I move them outside in the Spring.
Of course they are now blooming and I figure that is because we are now having the warmer nites.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't think Phals are easy growing either. They hate change and tend to get fungus at the drop of a hat. I have taken to mounting a few just to see if that helps. So far, so good. Catts in Florida really seem to do well. I've never had a problem with them and they rebloom right on cue.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.