Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Texas Gardening: Where have my birds gone??

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 9, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9228877

I've had lots of birds on my feeder up close to the house this summer, but in the last 10-14 days they have just gone away it seems. Also, the squirrels. I've been suffering in Colorado (low 70s in the day time and 50s at night) for almost a week, and when we got back I saw the feeder had hardly gone down at all. Actually, I had noticed it before I left, but was busy and didn't pay much attention.

Are they just moving on out of the heat, or what?
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 4, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9229450

Maybe They all came up to my house since the sunflowers are loaded with seeds as well as a great number of birds,,,but it is more than likely the absense of water,,Last year I would have dozens of birds at the birdbaths every evening but not so much this year ..The most noticable AWOL is the catbirds they were here in the spring but I am not seeing any now
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9229654

Well, I don't know. I have a birdbath right by the feeder, although I'm sure the water gets pretty hot during the day. My husband says it's just too hot for them, and they're staying in the trees. ???

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9229681

We have lots of birds all year round, but
they are quiet for now.

noticed it abouut a week and a half ago
Iand that is after we startied hitting over
100 F, but it happens every year

I suspect it might also have something
to do wirh the babies having fledged
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9229764

Yes, we've been in tripple digits for quite a while now.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9231610

It's the heat! Who wants to be out in it??
Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9236442

In the morning before it gets blazing hot turn the sprinkler on so it hits tree branches - then you'll know if birds are around. They'll start chattering and show up for a shower! I put out lots of seed, have livestock water troughs, and birdbaths spread around to help birds, bees, other wildlife and yes, wasp, survive this heat. [Please note I keep the water changed out daily to prevent mosquito larvae and algae.]

Last evening I was sitting on the covered deck birdwatching. I heard a "waap" sound on the metal roof above my head - what could that be? Seconds later a long skinny rope-like creature fell with another "waap" onto the deck beside me - it was a rat snake! My old cat jumped out of his skin, now you can't drag him out of the house!
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 10, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9236785

We have had rain on wed. and again that night and yesterday and today there is an amazing number of Butterflies tho the bird numbers seem about the same
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9244869

I'm so jealous. I've made butterfly bait three times, and nary a butterfly.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #9245311

We have been hot here too...so the birds live in our fountain., off or on!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America