Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Primrose leaves going pale white

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenza
Anza, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9228918

I have put blood meal in the planter, and also tried worm tea, but some of my primrose leaves are just losing all their color. Other primrose in the same planter look fine. Any idea what they need?
Thanks,
Julia
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9228931

Can you post a picture and say a little more about them (did you just plant them, how much sun are they getting, etc). In the absence of a picture, leaves turning white sounds like sunburn to me, but that is only a likely culprit if they are fairly new (or moved recently to a sunnier area)
gardenza
Anza, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9230273

Looking again today, I see that more of the plants are beginning to look whitish. Hope I don't lose them all!

Thumbnail by gardenza   Thumbnail by gardenza
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9230296

Did you just plant them recently? They look fairly small so I'm going to guess that you did. If the roots got disturbed during transplanting and you've had hot weather then it could be a bit of transplant shock which would affect the plants to different degrees depending on how much their roots got disturbed during transplanting. Could also be a watering issue--too much water and too little water both have similar symptoms. Typically overwatering is a much more common mistake for plants in containers, but primroses like a decent amount of water if you've had hot weather then too little would be a possibility as well. I'd try sticking your finger down a few inches into the soil and see how wet it feels. With containers you can often tell just by lifting the container too and seeing what the weight is, that's how I usually check to see if my containers need to be watered. If you're watering improperly (in either direction) then it's likely just a matter of time before the other plants start to have problems too--ones that were a little healthier & had better root systems initially may just take a little longer before they start to show symptoms.
gardenza
Anza, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9230862

I divided them early this spring, so I think it must be either too much/little water, or too hot. We have had some high temps, so I'm going to blame that. I know when it gets too hot plants can't absorb water/nutrients until it cools down, so maybe that explains all the issues?
Thanks ecrane, as long as I know there is nothing to add that will help, I'll just have to wait out the heat. Perhaps I'll plant them right into the ground where they're at, and that will keep the roots a more even temperature.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America