What's for Dinner (Part #35)

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

What are you having for dinner tonight?

Please join us in this wonderful series Terry started for us way back when

Photo of my favorite dessert.
(From Eating Well Magazine, Decadent Chocolate Cake recipe)

Tam

Thumbnail by Tammy
Dahlonega, GA

All it needs is a dollop of homemade vanilla custard , made with pure vanilla flavoring from Mexico . Yea , I still have a quart in the pantry . I have to hide it from my DDinLaw because she adds it to the coffee when brewing .I'll have to buy her some more this winter .
R R , hate you had to go back early and I missed you . Maybe next time . Lotsa hugs .
That was a good toast to the kids from everyone . I am happy I got to meet them at Laurel's round up . The daughter is a very classy lady , no doubt inspired and guided by her mother . She wears it well . Her D H reminds me a lot of her daddy, quiet and always seems to be thinking .Beautiful couple, and that marriage will last forever , no doubts !
Love ya all .

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Laurel - Another virtual toast to the bride and groom! The bride looks beautiful in the dress and they look happy. BTW- Congradulations also to the MOB and chef. More pictures when you get decompressed.

Tam - Thanks for the new thread.

Dinner tonight is steak and some yet to be determined side dishes.

We have a bucket load of small tomatoes out of the garden. Enough that DH is making salsa tomorrow and I'll be throwing the rest in a crockpot to cook up some sauce.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Laurel, I have been remiss in my congratulations! (I've been awol, so that's my excuse!) She is lovely; you did good with that girl. ^_^

Dinner was steak, a salad of tomato, basil, pepper, and basil, and a side of red quinoa cooked with peppers and leeks.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm just lovin' the summer vegetable braises w/fresh herb sauce. Tonight's batch had eggplant, zucchini, kale, peppers, onions and tomatoes (most of which were sungold cherries but a couple a yellow paste tomato).

Darius - I had carmelized squash yesterday and it was fabulous! I didn't have bacon but even with just the butter & olive oil, just delicious! It'll be on my rotation now.

Tam

Is that the recipe from Eating Well?

We're loving all the fresh produce also. I'm continuing to be grateful for whatever we get. The drought is taking it's toll on the plants.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Yep. A recent issue showcased the best-of recipes for the last 10yrs. The vegetable braise was the readers favorite for vegetarian dishes. The herbs really make the dish. I've made three batches now, each time with a very different mix of veggies and each time we both just loved it!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Tam! As a side note, our school supply giveaway was a whirlwind of success: we asked our congregation members to donate enough supplies to help 300 children; we had enough supplies to make up 375 packages for those who walked in the door starting at 10 yesterday morning. My amazing volunteers somehow managed to parlay those supplies into enough packages to hand out to 413 Ks through 12th graders; that was the final count when we ushered the last family out at five minutes after noon. The only snag we hit all morning was the lack of a Laotian translator - we made it work somehow, but we'll be prepared next year. We had a dinky stack of spirals and a few boxes of crayons left. Tonight we gift the school teachers from our church with apple baskets stuffed with supplies they requested for their classrooms, and then this annual project is officially done for another year.

And then my life returns to normal...whatever that means :-) Just in time to start the real canning and freezing. And hopefully some real cooking!

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

That's simply wonderful Terry! My old employer ran a "backpacks" program for the kids in need. They would buy the backpacks and you would sign up for a number to fill. You'd pick up the backpack, buy supplies (they gave us a list of suggestions but it was up to us to decide) and then we'd return them full. That's another downside of working remotely (though there are plenty of upsides!)

I'm meeting up with a friend at the Farmers Market. I'm on the hunt for tomato seconds to make some roasted sauce. Mine are just so slow in coming in this year!

Tam

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Tam, thanks for the new thread.

Terry, what a fantastic community service your church is providing.Bet it will be great to see "normal" again.

A continued thanks to all for the support and comments. I am buried in email and unanswered phone calls. I don't text or do Facebook so am getting super frustrated with family and friends who have seen wedding Facebook posts from DD and are texting for info..."What's this about a wedding?", "She got married?", "When?", "Is she pregnant?". We kept to the kids' wish to have an event with immediate family and their friends and omitted all but a few of our own close friends. We kept things pretty low key regarding extended family and friends yet it was still a good sized event. I now have a lot of explaining to do. I'm starting with, "It wasn't at the Ritz. There was mountain music. People sweated. We ate dessert served in Mason jars." That should do it.

A zucchini that went unnoticed this past week is about to get stuffed with leftover cornbread, roasted peppers, onions, mushrooms and one of the many small packets of home smoked ham we keep on hand. They come in handy for all kinds of dinners from quiches to mac n' cheese to cooking greens or beans. I was waiting for the filling to cool off so that I can add a few eggs.

Dahlonega, GA

I thought everyone ate dessert out of Mason jars .

No, Sally, just everyone north of Cumming, GA and south of Petersberg, VA. Personally I thought the bride's friends who wore hightops with their contra dance skirts had a special Daisy Mae thing going.

Dahlonega, GA

Funny . Get rested up , you deserve it !

Laurel, with the little I know about you, I am 100% confident the event was completely classy, but also filled with unexpected touches that made it personal and memorable for the bride and groom. I've cautioned my share of new brides-to-be that their day is just that - THEIR day. Spending tons of money they don't have to impress their guests is not what the day is about, because to the guests, it will be just-another-wedding. Far better to find some ways to make it a day that the couple will remember when they look back on it.

Normal...I did say that, didn't I? Not sure what normal is some days but it's a good goal.

Okay, for tonight, pork chops. Not sure exactly how they'll get cooked or what's going with them, but I know they are what's for dinner ;-)

This message was edited Aug 6, 2012 11:31 AM

Laurel - Glad to see you are recoverying from the wedding. High tops are in style with some contra dancers. It's the look and quality of the stomp that counts.

Tam - Thanks for starting the new thread.

Terry - Nice that your church puts together all those back to school supplies. It's a lot of work.

We went shopping yesterday for a new oil mister. The one we bought quite a few years back from Martha Stewart's Co died and the they no longer sell the same kind. We've owned a misto before and threw it a way. So hopefully the new one will work. Also stopped to shop at The Plaza. It seems that there was a no tax day this last weekend so everything was very crowded.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Susan- let us know what you find. I'm not really happy with the mister I got and am tempted to replace it, though I've only had it about a year.

Tam

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

burlap table cloths and dessert served in Mason Jars is quite "in"

I say weddings and funerals bring out the worst in families.

Best and worse in people in general. Has to do with expectations and stress. That's why the movie bridesmaids is so funny.

Tammy - This is what we got. The bottom is glass. I'm hoping it works well. http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-635052/Prepara-Oil-Mister

Dinner is Chicken Mole with a salad.

Crockpot is full tomatoes from the garden. Looking forward to the first batch of tomato sauce.

so how is the sauce done in the crockpot. Are the tomatoes peeled, deseeded or? is interesting

Well we didn't have burlap tablecloths. I made eleven quilt tops with wide borders. The borders will get trimmed down and the tops will be connected to make an anniversary quilt. I'm sharing a photo of Sautee valley where they event took place and a few photos of the outside tables with their quilt toppers. Bride and groom are in the rear of that second photo.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

now how thoughtfull was that!!!? so unique and personal.
I always entertained on our property tables were sheets of plywood covered with damask of which I had many and borrowed chairs from the local funeral parlor. small town, they were free to pick up and bring back. Wild flowers or ptted plants depending on season.

Love the toppers - they look great!

Well, you saw them in person, Terry, so perhaps you will comment about what we rolled out on my bed at Maypop. I was so ecstatic to be able to share that secret with you. DD is still flabbergasted that I was able to hide this from her. I need some other creative project/s before I embark on the wedding quilt though. I am worrying about dieing and leaving nothing more than a toothbrush clean house and some leftovers in the fridge. Both won''t last but a few weeks. Maybe it's the occasion that's got me thinking about these things.

I want to say we had a wonderful event and there was no drama. Any stress was because I was working an event that, by request, happened to be DD's and DSIL's (still sounds weird) occasion. It was something to weigh in advance and I carefully discussed the pros and cons with SO before taking on the project. It was understood that our role as parents of the bride would be somewhat compromised while our opportunity to be the Mom and Dad she knew would be realized. I have had to rely on close friends and participants for feedback as to the success of the various events since I did miss being a passive guest. Feedback has all been great and I am saying this because calls are coming in daily and we are thrilled to be hearing from the kids friends as well. There was a Mark Hewitt pitcher sent as a thank you from guest friends at the door in Atlanta when we returned. http://www.hewittpottery.com/ Wow!

The luncheon was at Canoe http://www.canoeatl.com/. See photo. We had a pre-selected menu and wines (Reisling for the fish and salad and Pinot for the lamb) for the occasion. They printed the menu of two starters, three entrees, two desserts and two wines. We took a break between the entree and dessert to walk through the restaurant garden and down by the river.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

What a wonderful "occasion", thank you for sharing.

Thank you for allowing me to share. I think you must be the mom who would be supportive. :)

Dahlonega, GA

I've heard twice about the "secret " in the bedroom . Now let the rest of us know , Terry . You have laurel's permission .
We're waiting ...............?
I didn't see it that strong when we met your D D , but in those pictures , she is another vision of you , Laurel .

Well, I was trying to maintain confidentiality...but now that the squares have been seen by the bride, I can say they were absolutely gorgeous in person. And they will make a wonderful, precious quilt for them. I think Laurel can tell you the story behind nearly ever piece of material in each square - some were from childhood clothes she made for her child, and some have other sentimental meanings. What a fantastic memory to snuggle up under with her new husband as they make their new life together :-)

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

That's just a fabulous idea & will be a family treasure for generations!

Tam

Quilting, now is my #1 hobby and I so appreciate the hard work in the table toppers, the nostalgia behind these creations and the finished product yet to be made. Certainly an on going heirloom. Wonderful stories and happenings. Certainly part of the foundation for this couples life together.

I agree with all the comments about how fabulous the wedding, dinners, and table toppers are. I'm glad it turned out so well. The wedding anniversary quilt will be cherished.

Lazy person's way of making sauce. Throw cut up tomatoes and what ever veggies you want into the crockpot. Cook until done. Use a immersion blender do get the amount of chunky or smooth that you want. If you want to get rid of the seeds and skins then either seed/skin before cooking or run through a sieve after cooking to get rid of them. Freeze in individual containers. I add the spices when I go to use the sauce later. That way I can use it for whatever I want.

ohhh i'll have to try this as the abundance of the jersey tomatos will be here soon at the farmersmarket,

Dahlonega, GA

I couldn't agree more . Wonderful choice for heirloom gift .
My precious first MIL made my son a quilt out of her and grandpa's old coats and wool , corduroy pants so he would always have them near . It's one of the most prized items in the family. They are both gone now , but love for, and grandparents love back can be as strong as parents .
Thanks , Terry , they are certainly nice in the pictures , what little I can see .
I have a warm , fuzzy feeling .

So, Sally, now you know my bedroom secrets. We had to keep the toppers in SO's closet because DD is always digging around in mine. While DD was giving garden tours during the RU, I had a pre-planned date with Terry to show off the toppers. BTW, I've had a warm, fuzzy feeling for several weeks now.

Helene, I am really a needler and not a piecemaker. Though I have quilted for a zillion years I have never taken a quilting class but have spent years studying Japanese embroidery here http://www.japaneseembroidery.com/ and other embroidery and fabric art traditions. I would love to find the time in my life to take some quilting classes. DD and I both have textile art backgrounds/degrees and best express our art in hand work. I received DM that you posted a link on the
Quilting forum. I am so flattered.

We make lazy person's tomato sauce by putting tomatoes in the crockpot on high and leaving them overnight.

We are having home ground, garden spiced, lamb meatballs. Linguine with mustard greens and cheese sauce. Slightly hot garden cherry Italian peppers will be part of the pasta and sauce mix. Garden Romano beans.

I have been a needler, do some fabolous needlepoint from www.ehrman.com did many other things in fiber art and now at 76 I do quilting. My friends on the quilting forum are an interesting group and havenothing but praise for your quilts, the idea thereof etc. They do do meals as well some don't subscribe to DG so therefore my post.We all love nostalgia.I have done some japanese silk ribbon embtoidery and french silk needlepoint.....much more. However always in awe of new ideas that spring up.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

When you make the tomato sauce in the crock pot - it doesn't evaporate down? Isn't it a little thin?

I tried a new dessert and will definitely be making it again. I bet its old hat to many of you - don't know why I hadn't tried it before. Plum Clafoutis. Sooo good & relatively low in calories/ fairly healthy.

Tam

Tam, leave the top off the pot once the tomatoes simmer and leave it set high. Then reduce by at least 30%. It may take 24 hours but that's the beauty of the crockpot.

Dahlonega, GA

My big brag in needlework is a reproduction of a Grandma Moses painting in cross stitch . Took over two years and tens of thousands of stitches . The back looks as good as the front , no loose threads , all woven in . I envy anyone that does the Japanese /French needlework . So perfect ! I do have a piece that was never finished in Japanese embroidery . I need to find it and have it framed .
You all have so much talent.

I leave the lid slightly ajar to reduce the water content and to make sure the temp is high enough. There also is some evaporation when we cook it in the winter for whatever. BTW - I only run the crockpot during the day while we are home. I had a friend whose crockpot started a fire in his kitchen. They were lucky his wife came home early that day or it would have been more than just the kitchen.

Dinner last night was leftover Chicken Mole. The rest gets frozen today.

The tomato sauce turned out nice. I threw in some Black Cherry tomatoes and the color of the sauce is the best we've had so far. The BC tomatoes added extra flavor also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.