Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Plant ID - weed?

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

I thought this was a weed next to my lorapetalum, so chopped it down a few months back. Now it has returned like gangbusters. Shaped like xmas tree, about 3-1/2 ft. high, woody stems, leaves are about 1-1/2" long. Can't match it to anything on my property. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by denisemb
Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Oops, forgot to mention leaves are serrated.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

sorry with out flowers I can not tell

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

couldn't find it in plant database so I "googled". Possibly an Ash Tree. We have them all over Texas. Much like a hackberry, they tend to be "trash trees", if there really is such a thing. I love them all.

I would love to have a Hackberry tree, there are a couple of butterflies that use it for a host plant

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

From what I can see now with a reference, it very well could be a hackberry tree. I see Ash tree leaves are parallel on the stem, whereas these leaves are staggered on each side.

Reason I asked is that it's really kind of attractive in it's small state - too bad it's deciding to grow 2' from my screen house and another in a seam of my front sidewalk. Like I said, I tried cutting them to the roots, but they keep growing back. Persistant buggars, I'll give them that. ;) Didn't want to resort to poison until I knew what it was.

Wren, it's all yours, if you're interested. :grin: Maybe I'll take a branch to a nearby nursery & see what they say.

Thanks!!

That would work.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Lord, have mercy. Hackberry's come up any and everywhere. If there were a market, I would be rich. Worse than a weed. I am aware of the butterfly but it would be at the expense of multiple other plants were I to let the seedlings grow. They are also a very brittle tree and it doesn't take much for it to split right down the middle. The birds "plant" them here. No one would ever plant one on purpose. I don't think they transplant very well but I will try. If I can get a seedling to live in a pot, I will send it to you, Wren. Just beware.

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL. Why, oh why, don't the birds "plant" these seeds in the middle of the yard where I'd let it grow?

I have already killed one, but will try another, then import the butterflies. I will keep it in a pot and prune it . LOL

Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Thats a sucker from a Drake Elm tree. probably they cut down the tree and one of the roots was still alive. Feel free to spray with roundup, or get ahold of the root and pull it out before it takes-over the flower bed.

http://baker.ifas.ufl.edu/DrakeChineseElm.html

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Yep agree with John, I know...I have a tree on the side of my house from a sucker from the neighbors tree. Get it out, roots and all. Unless you want a tree there. They love to try and come up through the hole in the bottom of your garden flower pots.

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks all - as soon as the rain lets up, it'll be toast. ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.