Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tomatoes: Why are my tomatoes orange?

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 5, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
americanwoman
Redford, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9229525

The first few were red but now the others as they attempt to ripen are orange. They are Burpee Seedless. And the skin is quite tough.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 4, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9229639

http://reviews.burpee.com/1031/prod001016/reviews.htm?page=2

From the above link please note the feedback and especially the one where the person said they do turn orange.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg12142515652.html

The above link is a discussion of this variety at another website when Burpee first brought it out.

Even if someone paid me I wouldn't buy any tomato seed from Burpee. They used to be a great company but not anymore and made it through bankrupcy to continue existing. Many of us are really mad at them for stealing the names of varieties that are heirlooms and well known, and then doing a simple cross to create a hybrid for which they can get more money for seeds.

The Tye Dye one and Black Perle, or however they spell it, are two examples. The first from Brad Gates Tye Dye one and the second from Black Cherry introduced by TGS as bred by Vince Sapp, now deceased, and former husband of Linda who still runs TGS.

Did I forget to mention that I don't like Burpee? LOL

Carolyn

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9229900

I don't know as to the thread question, but Burpee seeds offered at lowes in the spring have always been pretty good. Then again local always did thrill me..
americanwoman
Redford, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9230361

Thank you for the reply. I won't be planting these again as they have been a disappointment after the first few of them. Back to my Celebrity, Early Girl and Sweet 100's

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9230386

But, you gave them a try and that's good. I think trying at least one new tomato each year is fun. You might find one you love that way.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9230737

I liked the sweet 100s when I grew them as did everyone here,That is a great tomato!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America