CLOSED: Neck of the Woods * 2012 Reveals

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Welcome to our Third Annual "Neck of the Woods” gift exchange! As in previous years, we’ll share food and / or drinks that are popular either where we live now OR are popular in places where we have lived.

A few suggestions to get your appetites whetted could be spices or rubs, salsas or sauces, sparkling cider or wine, pickles or relishes, honey or molasses, cheeses or breads, jams or jellies -- just to name a few. You’re welcome to make goodies if you’re handy in the kitchen, or alternatively shop locally or online for your Secret Buddy.

You're also welcome to share Spring and Summer blooming bulbs, divisions of Perennials you’re already growing, freshly harvested seeds, or other gardening items which fit within your budget. The bulk of your items, though, should be food-related.

Rules and Guidelines…

The value of our items should be $20, less the cost of Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation number. For privacy, tracking numbers should never be posted on our threads. Instead keep your receipt handy and / or D-mail the numbers you use to me. Carefully wrap your items for transit, and better yet insure packages that contain breakables.

Since our deadline for new participants has passed, each of us now have the same of our Secret Buddy. Reveal your goodies, along with your sender's name, when you receive your package, and also post a photo if at all possible. All packages need be mailed please no later than the week of August 27th.

We have a super group of participants this year. Here we are, along with a few likes / dislikes.....

ahoogstra / Alicia (Michigan) -- XXL T-Shirt; love hot & spicy foods. I love wine too and Chocolate
RECEIVED FROM taters55

careyana / Carey (Texas) -- I will eat or drink just about anything. Shoes sz 8, shirt sz Small.
RECEIVED FROM deejay9

Chicory31 / Kerrie (North Carolina) -- alcohol is OK; like chocolate and... really there is not much I don't like, except black licorice. Hot and spicy is fine.
XL T-Shirt
RECEIVED FROM happgarden

ClanCampbell / Chris (Iowa) Likes: BBQ sauce (hey, I was born and raised in TX-gotta love BBQ as much as you love Chili!), spicy foods, salty foods, would enjoy pasta noodles that are locally made, margaritas (Let's see someone send THAT through the mail!),
Dislikes: not much of anything, just no chocolate - I love dark choc, but think it might get a little nasty being sent through the mail right now.
RECEIVED FROM GardenQuail

Cris316 / Cris (New Jersey) -- Allergic to bananas, grapes & turkey. Don't like hot stuff or heavy spices.
Love chocolate, home-made stuff (crafts & baking).
RECEIVED FROM lizrainey

deejay9 / Susie (Michigan) -- alcohol is OK
RECEIVED FROM rouxcrew

FruitOfTheVine / Susan (Virginia) -- XL T-Shirt: alcohol is OK
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8354406
RECEIVED FROM careyana
RECEIVED FROM Mandy97

GardenQuail / Michelle (California) -- Large T-Shirt.
A few dislikes: Please, no alcoholic beverages, hot spices, or olives.
A good smokey bbq sauce without hot spices sounds delicious
RECEIVED FROM Tina_A

happgarden / Joyce (Missouri) -- http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8358637
Alcohol is OK. I have dogs, cats, small koi pond, and new additions are ducks and chickens. Still not sure why we have ducks and chickens but we do...rofl.
RECEIVED FROM ClanCampell

lizrainey / Liz (California) -- XL T-Shirt; alcohol is OK
RECEIVED FROM FruitOfTheVine

Mandy97 / Mandy (Michigan) -- I'm not allergic to any foods. I am into milder stuff (slightly spicy is okay, but not anything considered medium or hot). I like pickles, jams, chocolates, and homemade stuff. Different kinds of seasonings are fun too.
RECEIVED FROM FruitOfTheVine

rouxcrew / Joy (Texas) -- Medium T-Shirt; alcohol is OK
RECEIVED FROM ahoogstra

taters55 / Linda Kay (Texas) --
RECEIVED FROM Chicory31

Tina_A / Tina (Texas) -- I happen to love all foods, but I'm allergic to bananas and avocados. I'm not much of a beer drinker, although dh is. My shirt size is 3X.
RECEIVED FROM Cris316

Have fun!

This message was edited Sep 28, 2012 7:40 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Been on vacation this last week... and found a couple of things for my buddy, too :)
Michelle

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I have my name - look out buddy! You're in trouble!!! :D

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Happ, I truly believe that animals can smell fresh water.
Critters seem to come when I've put a new bowl down, which
has been frequently in this heat.

I've heard that turtles will live their lives in an area the size
of a football field but frogs are a mystery. I rarely see the ones
I know are around the yard.

Fruity, I updated my list on the other thread if you want to link it: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9229746 :)

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

I got my name too! ^_^ I like just about all food, I HATE liver! And so glad that can't me mailed! I love chocolates of all kinds, t shirt is size 1X.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Got buddies name and so excited.

Cris I am with you those animals must have some sense to figure out water, course DH says you can hear the waterfall in the country for a mile...rofl.

Today is in the 80's and started out in the 70's and I had forgot how wonderful summer could be. Been out working on the potting bench getting blocks level. Can't decide if I am going to paint or stain, hummm whats your guys thoughts, it is made up of cedar, treated pine, and odds and ends...rofl. White is beautiful but let's be serious this is a real potting bench with a sink and all, I am the original peanuts pig pen so white probably wouldn't work for me.Course I could do the distressed look, actually it would probably happen in about a week with me. Garden shed that it is sort of attached to is grey with white trim. I am thinking about putting a roof of some kind over it just for some shade.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2012 10:01 AM

Joyce, we'd love to see pictures! DH painted my PB a barn red. I like it lots. I wish it had shade though (it's against the bricks on the west side of the house. It's a scorcher this time of year.)

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Hello ladies. Well, we are getting a little break in the weather. Sure will be better than the one hundred teens we've been having. This is our forecast for the week. It's only 82* here now but the humidity is 66%! Got a drizzle of rain last night. Did you hear about the fires in Oklahoma? They started mandatory evacuation of a town (Mannford, OK) about 4 yesterday afternoon. Mannford is about 10 miles from me, less as the crow flies. Had me kinda worried there. I took some mini blinds and made tags to put around my horses necks with their name, my name and phone number. If the fires got to us, I was just going to open the pasture and let them find safety on their own. Hopefully I would get them back, but even if I didn't I would know they didn't burn to death in the fire. I've already lost one house to a fire, sure didn't want to lose another one. It is the worst thing that can happen to someone. At least with tornados, floods, etc., you can usually salvage some things, not with a fire! Here's a picture of the smoke in the air, and the sun about 7 p.m. It was dark as dusk, just 2 hours early. lol And the sun was a bright red circle in the sky. Pic doesn't do it justice.

I too have entered the world of chickens. A guy gave me 4 of them, long story about them, but I lost all of them. I bought 3 5 month old Pullets, that should start laying this month. The others continued to lay for me even with the temperatures. I read up a lot about them, and what I read was that they would continue to cycle and lay eggs regardless of the temperature. They 'cycle' every 22-26 hours, depending upon the breed, until they get too old. Just like a woman cycles every 28 days, more or less. DH is building me the Hotel Chick Chick so I have a pen to put them in so I don't lose them like I did the others. I am also keeping them in my fenced backyard instead of the pasture. I have a cage I put them in for the night. Was worried about my dogs but I have yelled at them enough to leave the chickens alone, that they are now giving them a wide berth. I have a Rhode Island Red I call Sweetie. Can't catch her yet when she is loose in the yard, but can pick her up out of the cage and she doesn't fight me. She sets quietly and coo's when I hold her, pet her and talk to her. Then I have another RIR cross that has silver on her feathers on her back and tail. I call her Purdy because she is so pretty. The 3rd one is a Cinnamon Queen I call Queenie. She is suppose to have long arching tail feathers, but hers have not developed like they are suppose to. Maybe they will yet.

I'm watching my little 18 1/2 year old Rat Terrier, Pistol. She has been throwing up since yesterday. Just a little bit at a time and it was clear. This morning she wouldn't eat her breakfast, just drank water then threw it up. Every time she drank she threw it back up, so I took her water bowl up. She is blind and keeps going to the spot where it usually is. I put an empty bowl there so she would stop looking. Now she is pooping and puking blood. I've given her Pepto Bismal and she is resting beside me. I may go to town and get some Pediolite to see if she can keep that down. She (all the dogs have) has been eating dead locust she finds in the yard. I don't know if something she ate has made her sick, or if things are shutting down and I'm going to lose her. Either way, I'll do what I can to keep her comfortable.

More threads to read. Everyone have a good day!

Thumbnail by Crit Thumbnail by Crit Thumbnail by Crit Thumbnail by Crit Thumbnail by Crit
Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

Your chickens are pretty! I am trying to figure out how to smuggle some into Suburgatory. I will succeed ;) Glad to hear you are getting a break. Sorry to hear about your little dog 18.5 is a nice long life.
Got my name and I know what to send =P

Sorry to hear about your dog Crit!

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Got my name also- now to find the rest of the stuff.. state fair is next week and they make tons of stuff "on a stick"- like cheesecake on a stick or corn dog on a stick. And if it's not on a stick, then it's deep fried :) Deep fried Oreos, Deep Fried Snickers (it's good!!) and on and on LOL Maybe I'll find something there!

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

LOve stuff on stick that is fried , Fried Cheesecake is lovely too

Hi, all.
Kerrie, I have a friend who lives in San Jose that has chickens. City regulations don't allow roosters, though. So, you might be able to have chickens. Should check to see what your city allows :)
Patti, stay safe from the fires. Will keep you in my prayers. And I do hope your dog is feeling better soon.
Take care, everyone!
Michelle

My doggie seems to be doing better. She really had me scared. Last nightshe started barking to go outside and when we got there she walked around quite a bit. Then when we came in she started barking like she was hungry. I gave her 1/2 bag of her wet food and she ate almost all of it. This morning, she is back to normal. Must of just been a bad tummy bug.

Our weather has taken a turn back to a more manageable forecast. This is something that I can live with! After all, it IS August in Oklahoma!

Thumbnail by Crit

Crit hope your baby is doing better today. So sad when they are sick.

It was in the 60's this morning way strange after 100+ weather forever.

Oh State Fair food is the best for some reason...rofl. I have to agree anything on a stick is wonderful..rofl. Altho I have never tried fried pickle or oreo.

Happ, from the land that of fried food, you HAVE to try the fried pickles (best with ranch. YUMMY). I had the oreos once, they were okay, but I think that's because it was the end of the day so they were meh at best.

hayward, CA

crit glad pistol is doing better what a scare!

got my name too...

What a relief Pistol, both for your furry friend and more manageable temps! I swear if I lived in the Heartland like many of you do, I'd never go outside.

When we were at a very nice seafood restaurant in Pawley's Island, SC several years ago, Hub's boss ordered numerous appetizers for the group and among them here comes a platter of fried dill pickles our waiter sat down right in front of me. I thought huh? But oh my they were delish and like tater chips, couldn't eat just one. Seems like they were served with Thousand Island dressing, or maybe it was Ranch.

Fried foods in our house are few and far between. What I wouldn't give for a greasy spoon Corn Dog or two slathered with plain ol' French's mustard and maybe a Brownie topped with ice cream for dessert.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Gotta love a good corn dog although I haven't had one in years. Our state fair tops them all, with fried butter, fried beer, fried coke, and my eternal favorite, fried twinkies!
No I haven't had a fried twinkie, but it's out there. Fried hamburger pickles are an old favorite around here. We love em with Ranch or a TX ranch that has a little heat in it.

Joy

LOVE LOVE LOVE corndogs. Fruity, a girl after my own heart. That is how I like them too. My DGD's put ketchup on theirs and I tell them they don't know what's good. ^_^

Honestly fruit I go out before work and then about 7pm. Weekends around 6 and back in by noon or so until evening unless we have a good breeze which we have been lucky that way

I agree on a good crunchy Corn dog but I like mine pure and naked no sauces at all. A good funnel cake with just powdered sugar. Oh the simple things.

How I feel for you, happ! Thunderstorms went around us tonight but the winds felt so good quickly cooling temps down to the low-80's, at least in the garage. I hung out there with hubby and had unplugged our computers, that's how close I thought the storms were and just knew we were going to get a good rain.

Search my pantry and refrigerators. You will not find a bottle of ketchup in either, and like I mentioned before, NC BBQ laced with it is my least favorite. The neighbors even laugh about having to bring their own bottles of ketchup to use on French Fries when we have cook-outs.

OMG, I just went to lock the back door to our garage and the smell of skunk spray wafting in the air was nearly overwhelming. Then Jill came running and wiggling for her nightly pet. Geez, she must have chased that stinker because she smells to high Heaven. Gag. Gotta love a good Hound Dog though. Doesn't she look innocent...lol

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Hi, all.
Fruity, I'm plugging my nose from the skunk smell! LOL Poor puppy...
The other day, I took my guide dog out for a potty break. Heard a critter out there with us. My dog got quite interested. I then got worried that what if it were a skunk, so I called my husband out to see what it was. Fortunately, it was just a kitty. The kitty decided it didn't like having a big dog so interested in him, and took off. But I felt much better knowing it wasn't a skunk :)
Must say, I agree with Happgarden... I like my corn dogs plain, too.
Patti, so glad your dog is feeling better! Give her a pat for me :)
Michelle

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

Poor Jill now she will be a social outcast for a few days. We had a cat that tangled with one, he took it in the face he was very sick for a couple of days. We washed him and had to put him in the garage, with a crate heater because it was cold and he wouldn't let me dry him with the dog dryer. He smelled for weeks.
@ FOTV I hate ketchup... I don't eat in on anything. Except I do love KC style BBQ ( or Texas). My favorite being Gates in KC, MO.
Corndogs with mustard... always.

Gardenquail that would be a little frightening. I think the same thing when I am outside at my house because it is always pitch black and I am out stumbling around trying to catch frogs or whatever. Some day I will probably catch a skunk thinking it is the cat, since the cat is black.

Fruity does that smell wear off or do you have to do the tomato juice thing? Funny my dogs have never gotten squirted that I can remember and I would think I would remember that.... ;) You new baby is such a cutie.....

No rain, nodda, not one drop, but it looks like we are down in the 90's. Amazing what 10 degrees will do.

Funny Chicory my least favorite is probably gates...rofl. I like rosedales down on southwest blvd down by where I work or arthur bryants has several different ones and one of those is probably my favorite....rofl. I will eat bbq sauce on french fries but I don't like ketchup at all. I have mustard only if I am making deviled eggs other wise except for bbq and mayo the cubboards are bare of sauces.

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

I dislike Arthur Bryants we used to go to the original one on Cleveland off of Paseo , I think that is where it is.
I like Rosedale's. We eat a lot of BBQ sauce here that is our ketchup. LOL I remember going to Nichol's Lunch , I miss that place.

Hi, all.
Be careful out there, Happgarden :) We don't want you to have to join Jill!
Michelle

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

Happgarden if you fall victim. Use Dawn dish soap with baking soda (make a thing paste) add a little peroxide and water then scrub yourself and rinse after each soaping with fresh water (use in shower if they will let you in the house).
This is what we use on the dogs.

Amen Chicory, that's pretty much the same recipe I used when one of ours got sprayed

Hi, all.
Kerrie, that's good info to know :) I hope I never need these instructions, but just in case...
Michelle

Rofl...I am guessing they would not let me in the house if I ran into a skunk so my options would be a whole another story in the back yard with a hose...rofl

If you ate at the original Arthur Bryant's did you also have a fresh hot Lamars donut?

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh well, maybe they wouldn't be mean to you and use warm water in the hose LOL

Lamar's everyday. My favorite is German chocolate but not for breakfast. Thanks now I am craving a donut! We used to go to the Lamar's that is in that tiny building. I used to work off of Blueridge Blvd at Blueridge Nursery (not Blueridge Gardens that was up north) it is now Heartland nursery.
There was a Lamar's about 2 blocks away. We used to eat lunch at Paul's Drive In , this was South of 470. Scary neighborhood.
I could tell lots of stories...

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

SUSAN Just A Little BATH IN baking soda peroxide & dish soap I've had to use this a few times on dogs & it works but you have to do it when it happens not a few days after sorry .

Apply a small strip of eye lubricant (such as Puralube) or 1-2 drops of mineral oil to your dog's eyes. This will help protect the eyes in case any of the solution splashes or drips in.
In the plastic container, combine 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 to 2 teaspoons of liquid soap. Add lukewarm water if needed (for larger dogs). Mix ingredients well. The solution will fizz, as a chemical reaction is occurring. Use immediately - do not store.
Do not soak your dog with water prior to bathing. Promptly begin cleansing the affected areas thoroughly, massaging the solution deep into your dog's coat. You may wish to use a sponge or washcloth. Avoid getting the solution in the eyes, ears or mouth.
Allow the solution to remain on your dog for at least five minutes (longer if strong odor persists).
Rinse your dog well with lukewarm water. Repeat steps 3-5 as necessary until odor is gone.
Dry your dog well and give her a treat!

well been getting caught up on my gardening , the last 2 days , getting a few rain drops this morning so will try to get my Buddies box worked on & get it out in the mail by weds I Hope .
Hope she likes it :) ya ll have a great day .

hayward, CA

oh Susan! poor thing lol been there many times...

Susie how are you doing?

OK got to go into San Francisco and pick up some things for my box yaaay
now i got to rest my knee lol i guess im not indestructible too much walking now its a little swollen so I'll be icing it up :(

How did the surgery go Liz! Sounds like you up and walking already? Don't over do it!

hayward, CA

surgery went good but i think i over did so will be relaxing alot.

Keep it elevated, and iced, that will help.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Liz Don't want you crippled up so ICE IT If Need be :)

Well I'm already in Big Trouble with my DIET Today I Made the BEST DARN SPLITPEA Soup Figuring that the legumes be great sorce of FIBER & That Part maybe right But then I Found out That it is GREEN & Has Vita-K Witch is a Blood clotter .can't spell co-ag-ulater :))) something like that anyway Now I Crave More & More & More as dose My Brother Witch is good maybe it will be gone sooner.

Better try to work it off by Weds :)))) well off to play out side a bit .

Hi, all.
So, Liz, did you make it to San Francisco? Bet you'll find some yummy things there for your buddy :) Do take care of your knee, though.
Hoping to get my buddy's box mailed later this week.
Take care, everyone!
Michelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.