-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9229573

Welcome to our Third Annual "Neck of the Woods” gift exchange! As in previous years, we’ll share food and / or drinks that are popular either where we live now OR are popular in places where we have lived.

A few suggestions to get your appetites whetted could be spices or rubs, salsas or sauces, sparkling cider or wine, pickles or relishes, honey or molasses, cheeses or breads, jams or jellies -- just to name a few. You’re welcome to make goodies if you’re handy in the kitchen, or alternatively shop locally or online for your Secret Buddy.

You're also welcome to share Spring and Summer blooming bulbs, divisions of Perennials you’re already growing, freshly harvested seeds, or other gardening items which fit within your budget. The bulk of your items, though, should be food-related.

Rules and Guidelines…

The value of our items should be $20, less the cost of Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation number. For privacy, tracking numbers should never be posted on our threads. Instead keep your receipt handy and / or D-mail the numbers you use to me. Carefully wrap your items for transit, and better yet insure packages that contain breakables.

Since our deadline for new participants has passed, each of us now have the same of our Secret Buddy. Reveal your goodies, along with your sender's name, when you receive your package, and also post a photo if at all possible. All packages need be mailed please no later than the week of August 27th.

We have a super group of participants this year. Here we are, along with a few likes / dislikes...

ahoogstra / Alicia (Michigan) -- XXL T-Shirt; love hot & spicy foods. I love wine too and Chocolate
RECEIVED FROM taters55

careyana / Carey (Texas) -- I will eat or drink just about anything. Shoes sz 8, shirt sz Small.
RECEIVED FROM deejay9

Chicory31 / Kerrie (North Carolina) -- alcohol is OK; like chocolate and... really there is not much I don't like, except black licorice. Hot and spicy is fine.
XL T-Shirt
RECEIVED FROM happgarden

ClanCampbell / Chris (Iowa) Likes: BBQ sauce (hey, I was born and raised in TX-gotta love BBQ as much as you love Chili!), spicy foods, salty foods, would enjoy pasta noodles that are locally made, margaritas (Let's see someone send THAT through the mail!),
Dislikes: not much of anything, just no chocolate - I love dark choc, but think it might get a little nasty being sent through the mail right now.
RECEIVED FROM GardenQuail

Cris316 / Cris (New Jersey) -- Allergic to bananas, grapes & turkey. Don't like hot stuff or heavy spices.
Love chocolate, home-made stuff (crafts & baking).
RECEIVED FROM lizrainey

deejay9 / Susie (Michigan) -- alcohol is OK
RECEIVED FROM rouxcrew

FruitOfTheVine / Susan (Virginia) -- XL T-Shirt: alcohol is OK
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8354406
RECEIVED FROM careyana
RECEIVED FROM Mandy97

GardenQuail / Michelle (California) -- Large T-Shirt.
A few dislikes: Please, no alcoholic beverages, hot spices, or olives.
A good smokey bbq sauce without hot spices sounds delicious
RECEIVED FROM Tina_A

happgarden / Joyce (Missouri) -- http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8358637
Alcohol is OK. I have dogs, cats, small koi pond, and new additions are ducks and chickens. Still not sure why we have ducks and chickens but we do...rofl.
RECEIVED FROM ClanCampell

lizrainey / Liz (California) -- XL T-Shirt; alcohol is OK
RECEIVED FROM FruitOfTheVine

Mandy97 / Mandy (Michigan) -- I'm not allergic to any foods. I am into milder stuff (slightly spicy is okay, but not anything considered medium or hot). I like pickles, jams, chocolates, and homemade stuff. Different kinds of seasonings are fun too.
RECEIVED FROM FruitOfTheVine

rouxcrew / Joy (Texas) -- Medium T-Shirt; alcohol is OK
RECEIVED FROM ahoogstra

taters55 / Linda Kay (Texas) --
RECEIVED FROM Chicory31

Tina_A / Tina (Texas) -- I happen to love all foods, but I'm allergic to bananas and avocados. I'm not much of a beer drinker, although dh is. My shirt size is 3X.
RECEIVED FROM Cris316

Have fun!

This message was edited Sep 28, 2012 7:40 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9229642

Hi, all.
Been on vacation this last week... and found a couple of things for my buddy, too :)
Michelle

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9229748

I have my name - look out buddy! You're in trouble!!! :D
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9229853

Happ, I truly believe that animals can smell fresh water.
Critters seem to come when I've put a new bowl down, which
has been frequently in this heat.

I've heard that turtles will live their lives in an area the size
of a football field but frogs are a mystery. I rarely see the ones
I know are around the yard.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9229923

Fruity, I updated my list on the other thread if you want to link it: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9229746 :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9230210

I got my name too! :-) I like just about all food, I HATE liver! And so glad that can't me mailed! I love chocolates of all kinds, t shirt is size 1X.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9230231

Got buddies name and so excited.

Cris I am with you those animals must have some sense to figure out water, course DH says you can hear the waterfall in the country for a mile...rofl.

Today is in the 80's and started out in the 70's and I had forgot how wonderful summer could be. Been out working on the potting bench getting blocks level. Can't decide if I am going to paint or stain, hummm whats your guys thoughts, it is made up of cedar, treated pine, and odds and ends...rofl. White is beautiful but let's be serious this is a real potting bench with a sink and all, I am the original peanuts pig pen so white probably wouldn't work for me.Course I could do the distressed look, actually it would probably happen in about a week with me. Garden shed that it is sort of attached to is grey with white trim. I am thinking about putting a roof of some kind over it just for some shade.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2012 10:01 AM

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9230330

Joyce, we'd love to see pictures! DH painted my PB a barn red. I like it lots. I wish it had shade though (it's against the bricks on the west side of the house. It's a scorcher this time of year.)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9230349

Hello ladies. Well, we are getting a little break in the weather. Sure will be better than the one hundred teens we've been having. This is our forecast for the week. It's only 82* here now but the humidity is 66%! Got a drizzle of rain last night. Did you hear about the fires in Oklahoma? They started mandatory evacuation of a town (Mannford, OK) about 4 yesterday afternoon. Mannford is about 10 miles from me, less as the crow flies. Had me kinda worried there. I took some mini blinds and made tags to put around my horses necks with their name, my name and phone number. If the fires got to us, I was just going to open the pasture and let them find safety on their own. Hopefully I would get them back, but even if I didn't I would know they didn't burn to death in the fire. I've already lost one house to a fire, sure didn't want to lose another one. It is the worst thing that can happen to someone. At least with tornados, floods, etc., you can usually salvage some things, not with a fire! Here's a picture of the smoke in the air, and the sun about 7 p.m. It was dark as dusk, just 2 hours early. lol And the sun was a bright red circle in the sky. Pic doesn't do it justice.

I too have entered the world of chickens. A guy gave me 4 of them, long story about them, but I lost all of them. I bought 3 5 month old Pullets, that should start laying this month. The others continued to lay for me even with the temperatures. I read up a lot about them, and what I read was that they would continue to cycle and lay eggs regardless of the temperature. They 'cycle' every 22-26 hours, depending upon the breed, until they get too old. Just like a woman cycles every 28 days, more or less. DH is building me the Hotel Chick Chick so I have a pen to put them in so I don't lose them like I did the others. I am also keeping them in my fenced backyard instead of the pasture. I have a cage I put them in for the night. Was worried about my dogs but I have yelled at them enough to leave the chickens alone, that they are now giving them a wide berth. I have a Rhode Island Red I call Sweetie. Can't catch her yet when she is loose in the yard, but can pick her up out of the cage and she doesn't fight me. She sets quietly and coo's when I hold her, pet her and talk to her. Then I have another RIR cross that has silver on her feathers on her back and tail. I call her Purdy because she is so pretty. The 3rd one is a Cinnamon Queen I call Queenie. She is suppose to have long arching tail feathers, but hers have not developed like they are suppose to. Maybe they will yet.

I'm watching my little 18 1/2 year old Rat Terrier, Pistol. She has been throwing up since yesterday. Just a little bit at a time and it was clear. This morning she wouldn't eat her breakfast, just drank water then threw it up. Every time she drank she threw it back up, so I took her water bowl up. She is blind and keeps going to the spot where it usually is. I put an empty bowl there so she would stop looking. Now she is pooping and puking blood. I've given her Pepto Bismal and she is resting beside me. I may go to town and get some Pediolite to see if she can keep that down. She (all the dogs have) has been eating dead locust she finds in the yard. I don't know if something she ate has made her sick, or if things are shutting down and I'm going to lose her. Either way, I'll do what I can to keep her comfortable.

More threads to read. Everyone have a good day!

Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9230493

Your chickens are pretty! I am trying to figure out how to smuggle some into Suburgatory. I will succeed ;) Glad to hear you are getting a break. Sorry to hear about your little dog 18.5 is a nice long life.
Got my name and I know what to send =P

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9230622

Sorry to hear about your dog Crit!
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9230844

Got my name also- now to find the rest of the stuff.. state fair is next week and they make tons of stuff "on a stick"- like cheesecake on a stick or corn dog on a stick. And if it's not on a stick, then it's deep fried :) Deep fried Oreos, Deep Fried Snickers (it's good!!) and on and on LOL Maybe I'll find something there!
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9230868

LOve stuff on stick that is fried , Fried Cheesecake is lovely too
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2012
10:57 PM

Post #9231066

Hi, all.
Kerrie, I have a friend who lives in San Jose that has chickens. City regulations don't allow roosters, though. So, you might be able to have chickens. Should check to see what your city allows :)
Patti, stay safe from the fires. Will keep you in my prayers. And I do hope your dog is feeling better soon.
Take care, everyone!
Michelle
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9231339

My doggie seems to be doing better. She really had me scared. Last nightshe started barking to go outside and when we got there she walked around quite a bit. Then when we came in she started barking like she was hungry. I gave her 1/2 bag of her wet food and she ate almost all of it. This morning, she is back to normal. Must of just been a bad tummy bug.

Our weather has taken a turn back to a more manageable forecast. This is something that I can live with! After all, it IS August in Oklahoma!

Thumbnail by Crit

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9231387

Crit hope your baby is doing better today. So sad when they are sick.

It was in the 60's this morning way strange after 100+ weather forever.

Oh State Fair food is the best for some reason...rofl. I have to agree anything on a stick is wonderful..rofl. Altho I have never tried fried pickle or oreo.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9231594

Happ, from the land that of fried food, you HAVE to try the fried pickles (best with ranch. YUMMY). I had the oreos once, they were okay, but I think that's because it was the end of the day so they were meh at best.
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 6, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9232029

crit glad pistol is doing better what a scare!

got my name too...
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9232127

What a relief Pistol, both for your furry friend and more manageable temps! I swear if I lived in the Heartland like many of you do, I'd never go outside.

When we were at a very nice seafood restaurant in Pawley's Island, SC several years ago, Hub's boss ordered numerous appetizers for the group and among them here comes a platter of fried dill pickles our waiter sat down right in front of me. I thought huh? But oh my they were delish and like tater chips, couldn't eat just one. Seems like they were served with Thousand Island dressing, or maybe it was Ranch.

Fried foods in our house are few and far between. What I wouldn't give for a greasy spoon Corn Dog or two slathered with plain ol' French's mustard and maybe a Brownie topped with ice cream for dessert.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9232135

Gotta love a good corn dog although I haven't had one in years. Our state fair tops them all, with fried butter, fried beer, fried coke, and my eternal favorite, fried twinkies!
No I haven't had a fried twinkie, but it's out there. Fried hamburger pickles are an old favorite around here. We love em with Ranch or a TX ranch that has a little heat in it.

Joy
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9233034

LOVE LOVE LOVE corndogs. Fruity, a girl after my own heart. That is how I like them too. My DGD's put ketchup on theirs and I tell them they don't know what's good. :-)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9233690

Honestly fruit I go out before work and then about 7pm. Weekends around 6 and back in by noon or so until evening unless we have a good breeze which we have been lucky that way

I agree on a good crunchy Corn dog but I like mine pure and naked no sauces at all. A good funnel cake with just powdered sugar. Oh the simple things.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9233745

How I feel for you, happ! Thunderstorms went around us tonight but the winds felt so good quickly cooling temps down to the low-80's, at least in the garage. I hung out there with hubby and had unplugged our computers, that's how close I thought the storms were and just knew we were going to get a good rain.

Search my pantry and refrigerators. You will not find a bottle of ketchup in either, and like I mentioned before, NC BBQ laced with it is my least favorite. The neighbors even laugh about having to bring their own bottles of ketchup to use on French Fries when we have cook-outs.

OMG, I just went to lock the back door to our garage and the smell of skunk spray wafting in the air was nearly overwhelming. Then Jill came running and wiggling for her nightly pet. Geez, she must have chased that stinker because she smells to high Heaven. Gag. Gotta love a good Hound Dog though. Doesn't she look innocent...lol

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2012
11:16 PM

Post #9233801

Hi, all.
Fruity, I'm plugging my nose from the skunk smell! LOL Poor puppy...
The other day, I took my guide dog out for a potty break. Heard a critter out there with us. My dog got quite interested. I then got worried that what if it were a skunk, so I called my husband out to see what it was. Fortunately, it was just a kitty. The kitty decided it didn't like having a big dog so interested in him, and took off. But I felt much better knowing it wasn't a skunk :)
Must say, I agree with Happgarden... I like my corn dogs plain, too.
Patti, so glad your dog is feeling better! Give her a pat for me :)
Michelle
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9233889

Poor Jill now she will be a social outcast for a few days. We had a cat that tangled with one, he took it in the face he was very sick for a couple of days. We washed him and had to put him in the garage, with a crate heater because it was cold and he wouldn't let me dry him with the dog dryer. He smelled for weeks.
@ FOTV I hate ketchup... I don't eat in on anything. Except I do love KC style BBQ ( or Texas). My favorite being Gates in KC, MO.
Corndogs with mustard... always.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9234328

Gardenquail that would be a little frightening. I think the same thing when I am outside at my house because it is always pitch black and I am out stumbling around trying to catch frogs or whatever. Some day I will probably catch a skunk thinking it is the cat, since the cat is black.

Fruity does that smell wear off or do you have to do the tomato juice thing? Funny my dogs have never gotten squirted that I can remember and I would think I would remember that... ;) You new baby is such a cutie...

No rain, nodda, not one drop, but it looks like we are down in the 90's. Amazing what 10 degrees will do.

Funny Chicory my least favorite is probably gates...rofl. I like rosedales down on southwest blvd down by where I work or arthur bryants has several different ones and one of those is probably my favorite...rofl. I will eat bbq sauce on french fries but I don't like ketchup at all. I have mustard only if I am making deviled eggs other wise except for bbq and mayo the cubboards are bare of sauces.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9235051

I dislike Arthur Bryants we used to go to the original one on Cleveland off of Paseo , I think that is where it is.
I like Rosedale's. We eat a lot of BBQ sauce here that is our ketchup. LOL I remember going to Nichol's Lunch , I miss that place.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9235156

Hi, all.
Be careful out there, Happgarden :) We don't want you to have to join Jill!
Michelle
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9235342

Happgarden if you fall victim. Use Dawn dish soap with baking soda (make a thing paste) add a little peroxide and water then scrub yourself and rinse after each soaping with fresh water (use in shower if they will let you in the house).
This is what we use on the dogs.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9235661

Amen Chicory, that's pretty much the same recipe I used when one of ours got sprayed
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9236023

Hi, all.
Kerrie, that's good info to know :) I hope I never need these instructions, but just in case...
Michelle
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9236297

Rofl...I am guessing they would not let me in the house if I ran into a skunk so my options would be a whole another story in the back yard with a hose...rofl

If you ate at the original Arthur Bryant's did you also have a fresh hot Lamars donut?

Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9236427

Oh well, maybe they wouldn't be mean to you and use warm water in the hose LOL

Lamar's everyday. My favorite is German chocolate but not for breakfast. Thanks now I am craving a donut! We used to go to the Lamar's that is in that tiny building. I used to work off of Blueridge Blvd at Blueridge Nursery (not Blueridge Gardens that was up north) it is now Heartland nursery.
There was a Lamar's about 2 blocks away. We used to eat lunch at Paul's Drive In , this was South of 470. Scary neighborhood.
I could tell lots of stories...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9239923

SUSAN Just A Little BATH IN baking soda peroxide & dish soap I've had to use this a few times on dogs & it works but you have to do it when it happens not a few days after sorry .

Apply a small strip of eye lubricant (such as Puralube) or 1-2 drops of mineral oil to your dog's eyes. This will help protect the eyes in case any of the solution splashes or drips in.
In the plastic container, combine 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 to 2 teaspoons of liquid soap. Add lukewarm water if needed (for larger dogs). Mix ingredients well. The solution will fizz, as a chemical reaction is occurring. Use immediately - do not store.
Do not soak your dog with water prior to bathing. Promptly begin cleansing the affected areas thoroughly, massaging the solution deep into your dog's coat. You may wish to use a sponge or washcloth. Avoid getting the solution in the eyes, ears or mouth.
Allow the solution to remain on your dog for at least five minutes (longer if strong odor persists).
Rinse your dog well with lukewarm water. Repeat steps 3-5 as necessary until odor is gone.
Dry your dog well and give her a treat!

well been getting caught up on my gardening , the last 2 days , getting a few rain drops this morning so will try to get my Buddies box worked on & get it out in the mail by weds I Hope .
Hope she likes it :) ya ll have a great day .
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9240051

oh Susan! poor thing lol been there many times...

Susie how are you doing?

OK got to go into San Francisco and pick up some things for my box yaaay
now i got to rest my knee lol i guess im not indestructible too much walking now its a little swollen so I'll be icing it up :(

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9240069

How did the surgery go Liz! Sounds like you up and walking already? Don't over do it!
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9240092

surgery went good but i think i over did so will be relaxing alot.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9240216

Keep it elevated, and iced, that will help.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9240291

Liz Don't want you crippled up so ICE IT If Need be :)

Well I'm already in Big Trouble with my DIET Today I Made the BEST DARN SPLITPEA Soup Figuring that the legumes be great sorce of FIBER & That Part maybe right But then I Found out That it is GREEN & Has Vita-K Witch is a Blood clotter .can't spell co-ag-ulater :))) something like that anyway Now I Crave More & More & More as dose My Brother Witch is good maybe it will be gone sooner.

Better try to work it off by Weds :)))) well off to play out side a bit .
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9241748

Hi, all.
So, Liz, did you make it to San Francisco? Bet you'll find some yummy things there for your buddy :) Do take care of your knee, though.
Hoping to get my buddy's box mailed later this week.
Take care, everyone!
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9241807

I think I have my items, now to find a box, and get them mailed out!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9241851

I have a box, and want to get one or two more local things. Dave has threatened to raid the box if I don't get it packed soon.
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9242341

hi michelle, yes got into haight ashbury and fishermans warf lol thats where i did too much walking but im healing up good i think .
go to see knee dr tomorrow morning so i'll know how good i was lol

oh no joy! pack the box lol
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9242547

SUSAN!!!!!!!!
omg dogs were flying for the postlady today thank god they cant get out lol
finally after they got over it i got up to see if the coast was clear and there it was a box on the doorstep from fruity, i was so excited! look at all the goodies i cant wait to break into the wing sauce love honey i have a spoon ful every day wow since i dont go back to work till the 28th i'll be cooking!
heres what i got...

seasoned flour,corn meal,peanuts,yellow grits,sourwood honey,applebutter,damson preserves, budweiser wing sauce, cornbreadmix.
oh thank you so much! love this box will have to put my foot down on the wing sauce lol

Thumbnail by lizrainey   Thumbnail by lizrainey

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2012

Post #9242747

Great box!!! Now I don't feel so bad, this time everything I thought of was food related. Might packe my box tonight to mail tomorrow. I wanna come visit, Liz.

Joy
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9242866

I had a sneaky feeling your box would arrive today, Liz. So glad you're pleased and the glass jars make it intact...yeah! All your products were made in Virginia except the Bud wing sauce (who knew?) and Teays (pronounced Tays) Valley cornbread mix that were made in West Virginia. We loved living there several years before hubby retired.

I had food on the brain this time too, Joy, although I wanted to include a North Carolina Conch Shell from our vacation stomping grounds in NC, but ran out of room.

Tina, I used the last three or four T-spoons of the Honey you sent me last year on slow roasted Honey-Mustard pulled pork Saturday made with with Country Style (boneless) ribs. Best I've made in a while.

One of you Texas gals, a little birdie told me today your goodies are on their way ;)

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9242921

your all welcome to visit,
but joy cant come without that sweet Texas wine lol

and dh went snooping yelling now that's what im talking about! he saw the apple butter:O

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9242936

Now that payday has arrived, I can get a nice quality Texas box out. Already have several ideas for what will be stuffed into that box! I'm trying to stay within a 20 mile radius of Austin for all items so they'll truly be 'home-grown'.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9243065

Heck, I take it with me wherever I go!

Joy

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9243315

Speaking of Texas wine, Joy have you tried anything from the Llano vineyards? They've really expanded their varieties - I'm guessing after the rains a couple of years back. I'm thinking the wines from this year will be a hot commodity with all the spring rains we've had.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9243318

Llano vineyards is one of my favorites. Their sweet red is awesome and their prices are very reasonable. I will have to look to see their new varieties.
Try one and you will like it.

Joy

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9243366

I always see so many of the bottles whenever I go to the store. I was tempted to pick up a bottle of Riesling just to have. If I see a 2009 I definitely will.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2012

Post #9243967

Hi, all.
Liz, what a neat box... Sounds like you have some great things to cook with! Have fun :)
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9243970

Love that box of goodies Liz!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9244126

Deeeejay, Oh. My. Goodness. The box you sent is wonderful!!!! (was the epi bred in Michigan? lol!)

I LOVE the cheeses and the jams and the maple syrup...OH I miss fresh maple syrup! We Yankees are so spoiled!!!

I have some Brie that the berry topping will be a perfect match.

I'll post pictures tomorrow. Maybe I'll be wearing my fancy new earrings! (although the tape took some of the froggie paint off the magnet. boo!)

The DVD case conversion is so pretty and ingenious. Everyone will just have to wait to see what I mean by that!!! :D
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9244922

Hi, all.
I mailed my buddy's box today, so someone should be getting a box sometime early next week (Monday or Tuesday, I would think). Fruity, I'll dmail the confirmation number later this evening after I have it read to me.
Michelle

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9245179

oh carey I was hoping it all arrived safely sorry about the froggie magnet I tried to buy from our HOME Town CRAFTERS At the Summer fest . Fall fest is the weekend of the 25&26th of aug so i plan to go get lots of goodies for our fall swaps also for THANKSGIVING & CHRISTMAS SWAP . well off to bed ya all have a great weekend .
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9245188

Show us you goodies, Carey. We have a neighbor who moved here a couple of years ago from Vermont, and he's an hilariously funny full-blooded Yankee. I love to hear him talk and we have been enjoying a jug of Amber Maple Syrup he gave us drizzled over Blueberry Pancakes.

For all you Dog lovers...

How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb ? Depends on the Breed.

Golden Retriever: The sun is shining, the day is young, we've got our whole lives ahead of us, and you're inside worrying about a stupid burned out bulb?

Border Collie: Just one. And then I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code.

Dachshund: You know I can't reach that stupid lamp!

Rottweiler: Make me.

Boxer: Who cares? I can still play with my squeaky toys in the dark.

Lab: Oh, me, me!!!!! Pleeeeeeeeeze let me change the light bulb! Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh? Huh? Can I? Pleeeeeeeeeze, please, please, please!

German Shepherd: I'll change it as soon as I've led these people from the dark, check to make sure I haven't missed any, and make just one more perimeter patrol to see that no one has tried to take advantage of the situation.

Jack Russell Terrier: I'll just pop it in when I take a break from bouncing off the walls and furniture.

Old English Sheep Dog: Light bulb? I'm sorry, but I don't see one.

Cocker Spaniel: Why change it? I can still pee on the carpet in the dark.

Chihuahua : Yo quiero Taco Bulb. Or ''We don't need no stinking light bulb.'

Greyhound: It isn't moving. Who cares?

Australian Shepherd: First, I'll gather all the light bulbs in a circle.

Poodle: I'll just blow in the Border Collie's ear and he'll do it. By the time he finishes rewiring the house, my nails will be dry.

How many cats does it take to change a light bulb ?

Cats do not change light bulbs. People change light bulbs. So, the real question is:

'How long will it be before I can expect some light, some dinner, and a massage?'

All of which proves, once again, while Dogs have Masters, Cats have a Staff.

And the drum roll is...

My beloved cat Max, who left home the first time Jill treed him a month ago is home!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9245275

I'm sorry I didn't get pictures today. Left about 7am this morning, got home at 11am and felt like poo all day. I'm finally starting to feel normal just in time to go to bed since I'm exhausted.

Fruity, I LOVE that joke - and it's all so true!!! lol

I PROMISE pictures tomorrow. Unless I have West Nile...then I'll probably be in the hospital. ick.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9245444

Fruity, that's amazing news about Max... a whole month?? What kind of shape is he in?? Wow - I bet he's going to be spoiled rotten!

Love the joke too - and it's spot on for several of those breeds, specially my favorite - the Golden :)

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9245985

Chris, I didn't realize you were a Golden fan too!!!! Did you know we have 5 of them in our house right now? :)

Charging the battery on the camera so I'll have pictures up shortly!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9246019

Okay! Here are the items deejay sent...and yes, I've been wanting to try those toppings for days - but resisted until I could get pictures!

I love the converted DVD case - best use I've ever seen!!!

And deejay - once I opened the envelope I'm dying to try the recipes!!! I waited until I could post pictures to open the envelope. - the epi did get snapped on shipment. I'm hoping the root was good and there'll be new growth but I put the rest back into the dirt...hoping it'll be strong enough to root again.

Thumbnail by careyana   Thumbnail by careyana   Thumbnail by careyana   Thumbnail by careyana

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 18, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9246110

Hi, all.
So, can you tell me more about the DVD case that was converted? How? For what? Sorry, that part's confusing not being able to see the pics...
Great joke :) Only, I'd add one small part to the Lab's part: "Bulb? Can I eat it? Is it edible? ... No? Well, okay, but it still needs tasting and sniffing... Quality control, you know" :)
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9246337

Michelle, Susie took some pretty vlue print fabric, and sewed a case for inside the DVD case, that holds colored pencils! Then it looks like she took a pretty piece of paper, and slipped in the front cover. It is a beautiful pencil holder.
There is also a pad of paper on the other side of the case.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2012 8:56 AM

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9246496

Michelle, LK described it perfectly.

It's a neat way of keeping things organized, for sure! And since I like to sketch at times, the addition of the colored pencils was a great touch. :)

Thanks again deejay!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9246525

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275086/

Wind chime swap is open, come and check it out!
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9246706

Thank you LK for having my back :) Yes, please - everyone come over and join us as we swap some pretty windchimes!

Carey,I used to own two - a red named Samantha Birdflusher (AKA name) but we called her Sam and then a blonde name Gracie, because she WASN'T graceful at all. I loved my girls!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9246722

Afternoon All Well it got to warm out in the sun & My 7 FT Nephew & His 7ft 6in Son Drove down to visit we all had Lunch & They are just leaving to go Fishing So Finally Quiet Just me & My TURKEY"S :) so nice :)

Ok Confession Time As for the CD Case I Didn't make it I Have a friend who dose all these crafty things ,she makes refrig Magnets out of Domino's & Note Pads Out of CD cases . Plus many many other things .

Cheese was MADE Out here in Hastings On a DARIY Farm Not far from here , EAR RINGS Were Made By Another BINGO Friend :) Here is Hasting .

The Coffee Mug I Put the EPI In is from Our Famous FREDRICK MEJIES Butterfly Garden The EPI "s I Have here But Not been able to Get them to Bloom Not sure what I'm doing wrong with them ..

Jam's & Topping s are Also Made here in Hastings Hope you find everything Tasty :) & To your likings :)

well off to sort a few boxes going to have a yard sale Labor day weekend . ya all have a great eve

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9246858

Thank you Susie! I'm not sure how to make epis bloom yet myself! I picked one up this spring that was labeled "Giant Red" and wouldn't you know I actually had a bloom? I missed it opening but none of the bloom looked red to me!

I also have a yellow, a "pumpkin", another red, and a white.There might be another color i forgot. If they ever bloom, I'll let you know!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9246889

Hi, all.
Thanks for the description of the converted CD case. That sounds cool :) Wouldn't have thought of using one for a pencil holder, but I can see how that would work well.
Susie, your friend came up with a clever idea!
Michelle

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9246991

just Opened our last trade for this year as for plants if anyone would like to join us .

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276209/
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9247002

Susie, you come up with the most clever gift ideas. Very nice assortment of goodies there, Carey. I'll have a piece of cheese on a cracker slathered with Peach jam please. Yum...

Have any of you tried "Stark Crimson" Pears? I picked a few up at the grocery store last week to try and they are beyond delicious: http://www.stillwaterorchards.com/products/pears/varieties/

Chris, you'd never know he's been gone. Not a hair out of place...lol and here I had visions the Coyotes had killed him. He usually weighs around 10 pounds and might have lost one. We keep food on the back deck and suspect he sneaked kibbles during the nights he was gone, either that or found food in the neighborhood. The strange part is Hubs takes Mickey out two or three times every night and never once saw Max. Now when he's not laying on the back of the couch, he's curled up on his bed on my desk. Only comes for air after a nap to eat, doesn't care a thing about going outside, and have put a litter box next to the dryer he's happy to use.

We are past the mid-point for mailing out. Please remember all packages should be mailed no later than the week of August 27th. One person has let me know her package may be late. Another one of you should be watching your mail early this week!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9247094

Mine will be mailed out midweek at latest.

Buddy I hope you're ready...!!! ;)
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9247335

fruity, oh yes those are so good!

ok im going to post office after physical therapy so buddy be on the look out!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9247672

Got my box with me and will mail mine while I am out. Woo Hoo!
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9248318

Glad to hear he's doing so good - sure makes you wonder what the devil he's been up to lol.. but my bet is on him having found another family to "visit" for a while and he finally got tired of it and came home :)

Well, I must say... I GOT MY BOX TODAY! :) And holy cow - I hit the Mother Lode (did you like that one, Michelle?? Get it, as in gold?) LOL!

Yes, Ms Quail herself was my buddy and she sent GOODIES! I don't have a picture of it yet, but I'll get one on here tomorrow. It was mainly foods and she picked out the best stuff lol.. I'm in love with the orange honey flavored almonds :) They have a mild orange flavor that reminds of the "orange slices" candy we used to eat as kids. Yummy!!

Besides those, I also received:
Dried apricots
Garlic flavored almonds
a package of locally grown brown and wild rices from Lundberg Family Farms
Armadillo Willies Jalapeno BBQ sauce (can't wait to try this!)
Raspberry Chipolte Sauce (on the side of the bottle, says it's good served over a brick of cream cheese- definitely going to try that with some crackers)

Then I also received a couple of souvenirs - a lavender sachet with a post card showing where the lavender is grown in the valley below Mt. Shasta. Lastly is a little pan of gold (yes, real gold nuggets about the size of pinheads LOL) from the Siskiyou County Museum. Gold was discovered in the country for the first time in 1851. It's actually a refrigerator magnet and it's going up there with a few other magnets I've gotten from my DG friends over the last couple of years.

Thank you Michelle - it came packed perfectly and everything's in great shape -except for the half eaten bag of almonds lol.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9248408

Sounds like a great box of goodies, and to include GOLD!!!! Can't wait to see them!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9248448

Hi, all.
Hey, who ate those almonds? The bag was full when I sent it... LOL :) Glad to hear you're enjoying your box! And, yes, I got the joke :) Very good! I read it to my husband... He liked it, too :)
Doorbell just rang. I was hoping for a package from my buddy :) But, alas, just parts for our Roomba.
Michelle

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 21, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9248693

Everyone is sending really GREAT stuff! My buddies box will leave my "Neck of the Woods" Thurs am:) Sorry for the wait buddy!
Ahoogstra
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9248761

Mine is going out the end of the week too.i have a couple more things to include. i had a hard time deciding what to get because we are new here. i bought things I like and things that I think are an enigma . So that means things like why would someone like that. But it willbe fun for someone to try =D

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9248802

I sent my box out yesterday and realized that I forgot the labels on two things that I made. They were on the counter when I got home, oops! But I did get my explanation put in the box this time. So my buddy should be getting hers tomorrow!!!!
Had to laugh at the PO, I was not at my PO but at one in the college town. My box is extra heavy for its size, gotta love the one price boxes. Well the clerk weighs it and asks me if I want to send Express to have it there the next day. I kinda looked like a deer in the headlights so he said that some folks this time of year really need that package to get to their kids at college. ROFLMAO, my KID! Buddy bet you didn't realize that? Anyway I asked politely how much more Express would cost over the $16 I would regularly pay. Wait for it...$76. But it included $100 worth of insurance and that was an important selling point. Bphffffffffffftttttt.
Thanked him everso much and told him that the $16 was just fine for me as I laughed my way out of the PO.
JOy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9248883

Sounds Like that clerk thought you was a blond ??? & he could pocket a few bucks :) . I'm A BLOND But Wasn't BORN yesterday :) HEHE
I stopped in for my oil change the other day but not at the one i normally go to & that won't happen again , but anyway they told me i had a headlight out & I said yes i Know & I have the new Bulb in the front seat the guy said we can put it in for you & I said ok then he said that will cost 20.00 I said forget it the bulb cost me $8. & I will go home & put it in myself . so that is what i did to. an oil change is $27.99 + tax witch is bad enough I would do my own if I Was feble enough to get under my car :(

well Now that I Have spouted off I can go back to work :) have a great day everyone

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9249165

I have my box packed, and taped, nothing else can fit in there! I will get to the post office in the next day or two!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9249743

would like to share with you all

i have opened a interest for a fall seed swap not sure how many seeds i will have to start one this year but will gather what i can . if anyone has extra seeds & Like to share with others but not want to join the robin you may send them to me I Can add to the box for others to try . JLMK .
come check us out http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276399/

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9250060

Mail Just Came
SINGING to JOY :) HEHE & THANKING *****JOY***** For sharing with me can hardly way to try them Just Don't know what to try First.
I got a bar of ---- GOATS SOAP made by joy from her Nubian Goats
Then Home made -------- CANDIED HOT PICKLES made by joy
then a jar of ----CAJETA CARMEL SAUCE made by joy
A Nice big box of --- TEXMATI WHITE RICE Made by a near by Neighbor & i do love rice
Next was a Bottle ofBrianna's Home Style Saucy GINGER MANDARIN Salad Dressing also made Just down the Road from Joy :)
this box was so heavy THANK The Lord Our PO Has FLAT RATE BOXES :))) For there was much more
ORANGE BLOSSOM Burlesons PURE HONEY & My FAVORITE DIP & Salad Dressing BLACK BEAN SALSA By JARDINE"S
& The Last BOTTLE I Pulled Out of the BOX was this GREAT BOTTLE OF TWIN SPRING SWEET RED WINE :))))

Well I Have the BEST Time to Try this :) I Will be Hosting a Fall Plant swap Sept 15 th & Will have a couple guess for the weekend
So as Not to Get tippsy all by myself I will share :))))) After sitting here looking at all the goodies I Think I have decided to try the salsa
First .
Sorry but the PICKLES Just Happened to Call my Name Brother Jim Came in from Mowing saw all my goodies so he & I opened the pickles & both agreed they are YUMMY But i didn't dare eat to many BY THEMSELF . That is :)
guess my DISH TOWEL SAYS IT ALL :))) Thank you Joy I will enjoy it all :)

Thumbnail by deejay9

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9250126

WHOOP!!! I am so glad it made it safely. And that you are happy with them!

Joy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9250220

Wow, that is a nice box of goodies, and your going to get hooked on those pickles, they are so good!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9250326

I Know look what I;m Haven for super ***** there is a baked Chicken under there somewhere & Joy if I end up in the Hospital for heart burn
I PROMISE NOT To MENTION Your Name :)))) these are to die for got to get the recipe please .

My Niece brought back my Trailer today & Had Her son well I Let them try it & KEYROSE wanted to take the jar with him. So I'm not going to ofer to let anyone else try them they are mine thank you much :)))) My mouth is a little warm right now but a slice of water Mellon will help that out :) this is the best swap of all Love it all . as my hearth burn starts :) NOT Yet Just Kidding

Thumbnail by deejay9

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9250405

Fabulous goodies you got there, Missy Clan and Susie.
Thanks for the awesome job, Michelle and Joy.

Wow, we're rocking along nicely.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9250418

Such wonderful things everyone is getting. I'm so sad I wasn't able to join in this year. :-(

I had a Doberman Pinscher YEARS ago. We lived on a farm and the dogs ran loose. Well, one night my female Jesse, didn't come in when I called her to eat. She continued NOT to come in for several more nights. Nights turned into weeks, weeks turned into months ... 3 of them. Well one morning, I opened the back door for some reason and there she was!!!! Skinny as she could be but very happy to be home and see me. We never figured out where she had been all that time. She still had on the same collar but was extremely loose around her neck. We thought either someone picked her up and didn't take care of her or she ran away and it took her that long to get home, or she got her collar hung on something and it took her loosing that much weight to be able to slip off of whatever she was caught on. It was amazing!!!!! I've heard of dogs finding their way back home, but I sure never expected to see her again.

This is my new little girl. I have 3 Black, White and Tan Rat Terriers, and she is a Silver, White and Tan one. She is the great granddaughter of one of my male RT's that my husband stole from me after the divorce and I never got him back. He has since died. I had one out of one of my litters that I took to Missouri with me when I moved there after the divorce. She was just a pup and followed me down to feed the horses and I didn't know it. She ended up getting run over and I was just SICK! My daughter told me that he had 3 left out of a litter they had had and he was wanting to find homes for them. He'd sold the others in the litter for $100.00 apiece. I was just SURE he would say NO WAY because he has not been cival to me AT ALL since the divorce, but he surprised us all and said it was fine. It helped him out too because he was wanting to find homes for them. I'm so happy. She's a real cutie and really fitting in things around here. I got her Friday and she was a little timid for a couple of days, but everyday she gets more comfortable, except when the other 2 start playing because they bark and growl and it scares her. She'll figure out they are playing. When the blind one barks, she freezes in her tracks ... lol Pistol, the blind one, has a very authoritative bark.

Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit         

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9250498

oh crit, she,s a beautie!!!!!

susie you have to come to california and share that wine lol
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9250512

Well, I finally got the pics taken and uploaded.. well, except one bag of almonds is missing - yep, polished it off today at work LOL..Thank you again Michelle!!

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell   Thumbnail by ClanCampbell   Thumbnail by ClanCampbell   Thumbnail by ClanCampbell   

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9250521

great box! love the gold pan too cute

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9250590

LIZ The WINE Party is Here the 14 th of Sept Day before the Plant swap for the GALS WHO Are coming in early :)))) wish you could make it for your wine is also on the wine list :) so just bring yourself :) & A good THIRST :) Free room & Board free eats .
just cost you your round trip ticket :)))) the invite is for anyone who can make it . if you need more info just dmail me .
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9250757

Hi, all.
Susie, sounds like you got a great box! I'm waiting, with spoon poised, for you to open that caramel sauce :)
Crit, give that pup a pat for me :) She sounds really sweet.
Michelle

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9250942

Michelle This Box was so tasty & I Have a feeling My calorie counter is going to be Way off Only with the carmel sauce all the other is acually in my book so Not a problem :) I can actually have Ice cream INMODERATION :))) .
but i love this type of swap My Box from LIZ last fall was really super yummy What a vareity from STATE To STATE .
oops company driving in ya all have a great day .
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9251163

wish i could Susie,
but if seedtosser1 found me in mi. and didnt stop in Chicago I'd be in so much trouble!
maybe next time :(

well i see my box is almost ready to leave the state looks like my tracking says its in southern California now on its journey to my buddy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9251191

My box went out yesterday, it should arrive by Saturday.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9251760

Great stuff you are getting in your packages!

Here is a picture of my Amarylis "Joker" in bloom. Has been blooming for several days now. It is really short this year but still beautiful bloom.

2nd one is of Buttons and my blind dog Pistol in the recliner. Pistol usually doesn't like anyone near her, I guess because she can't see what they are doing. They had been asleep and woke up just before I took the pic. See Pistol's tongue? lol She always sleeps with the tip of her tongue sticking out. :-)

The other 2 are of Buttons playing with her toys and blanket. You'd think I just had another baby with all the pictures, huh? Well, I guess kind of I DID. :-)

Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9251783

Love that bloom, and your babies are so precious!

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 24, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9252075

Sorry for the delay in sending my box..it is FINALLY ready to go, and will leave MI tomorrow!
Alicia
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9252279

I mailed mine about 20 minutes ago! Yay me! LOL

Mandy97
Paw Paw, MI

August 24, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9252568

Those look like great boxes!

Crit - your puppy dogs are cute. My dog and kitties are my babies too. :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9252635

Beautiful blooms, Patti, and am glad Pistol has a cute new furry friend.

Mandy, I'm so glad you decided to join us!

Other than the person who told me she's going to be a bit late, the rest of us have one week left to mail if at all possible. Several boxes are due to land tomorrow or early next week. Anticipation is half the fun!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9252814

The past week has been a heck of a lot busier than I was expecting! We're hopefully adopting one dog out tomorrow. She's a sweetheart and we absolutely adore her, but we know her new home will be perfect. Weekend needs to be easier - I start school Monday. EEK!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 25, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #9252889

Hi, all.
Hmmm, calories in that caramel sauce? I think you're safe... I don't see a single one in there LOL :)
Patti, perhaps Pistol realizes that Buttons needs a special friend :) And vice versa :)
What color of amaryllis is Joker? I bet it's really pretty. I'll have to see how my amaryllises do this year. Didn't do a good job of keeping them watered through the summer. Already know I lost at least a couple, but then, I suspect that it was just a matter of time for them. I think the ones I lost so far weren't in the greatest of health to begin with, but still need to go through them all to see how they're doing. Been doing other garden work lately.
Michelle

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 25, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9252964

Seriously SPOILED! I feel like a kid at Christmas! Wine, Chocolate covered almonds, TX Pralines, pickled jalapenos & onions, TX
pecan coffee, an ADORABLE TX magnet, a beautiful key chain & bookmark, TX honey, TX WINE:) TX pepper mustard, and a BEAUTIFUL handmade table runner with TX bluebonnets on it!!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU Linda Kay! OHHHH I JUST LOVE EVERYTHING!!!! So excited! Deejay, I will bring the coffee and wine with me in Sept to share:) I will try and take pics if my camera will hold it's charge:(
Thank you again my Texas friend!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9252973

So glad to hear everything made it! It is not a table runner, it is a dish towel, and I wish I could claim that I made it, but I bought it from a local store that sells hand made items. I did make the jalapeño's, they are sweet.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9252991

My box is going out today.. ahead of time.. woohoo!! lol.. that definitely isn't my norm anymore :(

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 25, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9253012

Ohhhhhh I almost forgot...TX Dutch apple jam! Ohhhhhh Yummyyyyyyyy! I can't wait to taste the jalapenos! My dishtowel is FAR to pretty to use! I am going to hang it in my kitchen:)
Thank you again SOOOOO much!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9253536

Michelle, the amarylis is a peachy color with reddish around each petal and in the throat. Just lovely. I wasn't sure any of my amarylis were going to make it this year. Last year (before DH built the flower garden) they were planted up against my fence. When Frisky was sick, just before she died, she would lay on her side and thrash around. I was afraid she had destroyed ALL of them. Low and behold, several of them did survive and have come up this year. Joker is the first one to bloom. Don't know if the others that survived are going to bloom this year or not. At least they came up!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9253664

ALI I Think We Hit TEXAS GOLD DIDN"T WE :)) iF THEY ALL COULD jOIN US THE 15 TH GUESS WE WILL JUST HAVE TO TAKE pic"s OF OUR WINE TASTING PARTY :) THAT I IF WE CAN OPERATE THE CAM:)
I've been haven our Yard sale this weekend So off to the SHOWER Tommorrows the last dady till next weekend
Mandy97
Paw Paw, MI

August 25, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9253738

Wow! That sounds like a great box Alicia! You'll have to post pics soon!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9254682

ALI_C You Better come down before the 15 th if you want to try any of this CARMEL SAUCE MMMMMMMMMM It IS SOOOOOO Good
Joy Please tell me Now that you will be MY XMAS Buddy :) I Would LoVE More GOATS Soap & CARMEL SAUCE & CANDIED PICKLES SO Far that is what I LOVE Haven't tried the other yet but soon will :))))
that Soap is the BEST Others make me feel sticky after my shower but not this Please tell me i can buy a few bars from you .???
well its been a long day MY NOSE Is BURNT will be back tomorrow .

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9254712

I don't run the Christmas swap so you will have to bribe the owner. LOL
Love my goat soap, I don't make pretty ones but practical ones with no additives. I am sure we can work something out, need to make a new batch anyway. It really does leave you feeling extra smooth.

Thanks a bunch,

Joy
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9254861

Alicia, that's a great box! :)
Michelle

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9255093

Joy I Trully do Love your soap I Have used other Homemade Soaps but none have made me feel so clean or so soft & Smooth as your dose & So please when you make more I Trully would like to buy it from you Just let me know .

well off to town so i can get back here & Get busy Lot's to do Before the swap :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9255215

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1277320/
Interest thread for the annual PJ and or night gown swap. Come and check it out!
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9255331

hmmmm mine is being delivered
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9255545

Sunny here this morning so took my time writing the little
note to go with the box. At the PO almost forgot the note &
had to fold it over & over into the side slit I hadn't taped over yet.

Got done & the heavens opened up! Gave new meaning (to Me)
about wet T-shirts!! I'm too old & saggy for it to be attractive.

Soo the long & short of this all is that the box for my swap partner
got mailed ! Woo hoo
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9256146

ok my box is at its destination...

hope nothing broke!

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 3:54 PM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9256672

Got my box from Chris yesterday, sorry about not posting yesterday but have been moving my sister and didn't get home until 9pm and had to come back to work today...I have found new muscles in my body because they all hurt...rofl.

My my the box is absolutely wonderful! Everything made it in one piece and I am sure you were worried about that Chris because there were some breakable items.

See the beautiful card it was so nice, then ancient heirloom popcorn (yes, I love popcorn), wonderful bottle of white wine (come on over guys and help me with it), strawberry jam (which is a favorite), Three bears soap, and of course sweets (which you can see all the wonderful chunks in it). Everything arrived spotless.

If I hadn't been working today I would of curled up in the bathtub with the wine, homemade soap, and pop corn and soaked for I don't know maybe all night, then ask for toast and jam be served to me...followed by a great book munching on candy...oh what a wonderful thought! But alas I am at working with all these wonderful goodys waiting on me, which is still a great thought.

Thanks so very much Chris for all the wonderful things made in Iowa...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9256796

Sounds like a wonderful box of goodies! Pictures please?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9256831

There is another box on it's way. I sure hope I caught the mailman yesterday. At least if I didn't, it sat all night in a nice air-conditioned building.

Buddy (you know who you are) - you've got a mix coming!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9256984

Alicia, were you ever to get your camera charged, would love to see you post pictures of your goodies, as I did not take pictures.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9257052

Kerrie, I just got your box, and boy was it heavy and loaded with goodies! Thganks so much, you are going to make my hubbies day, when he see's the vinegar based BBQ sauce!
OK, let me post pictures, and show you what I got from Kerrie! And let me tell you all, she likes tape more than I do! Everything was wrapped and taped so good!

I got 4 bottles of BBQ sauce!
Muscadine jelly, boiled peanuts, and local honey. I don't know what Muscadine is, so I will have to do so me research... I have also never had boiled peanuts before, so I will be trying several new things out soon!
Two bottles of Cheerwine? I don't see any alcohol content, is this a type of soda?
And a bag of stone ground cornmeal, and a package of sugar cured ham!

Thanks so much Kerrie, it all looks YUMMY!!!

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 12:59 PM

Thumbnail by taters55   Thumbnail by taters55   Thumbnail by taters55   Thumbnail by taters55   

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9257131

Sorry I didn't attach it, had it all ready.

Great box with wonderful goodies.

Thumbnail by happgarden

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9257175

Great goodness at the goodies! I'll be right there to help you with the wine, happ. You take it easy.

LK, Muscadine is a grape. Have you ever heard of Scuppernongs?
Same thing, very sweet. We call them "Fox Grapes" too. One of my favorite wines here is Sweet Mountain Laurel made with Musdadines. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuppernong
Cheerwine is NC's version of Cherry Coke, heavy on the cherry.

If your box isn't in the wind, it should be no later than Saturday. The only exception is the person who said she may be late.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9257185

Linda Kay,
So glad you like the box.
Cheerwine is exactly what Susan said. I wanted to send fresh boiled peanuts but wasn't sure how well they would ship. So opted for canned they taste pretty good , Fresh are better ;)
The corn meal is from a mill that was on Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe a year or so ago. I really like it.
I was freaked out on sending so much liquid stuff hence the tape LOL
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9257203

Wow ((((((((Liz))))))) - Got your box today - did you need a wheelbarrow to take it into the PO? Loaded with goodies &
don't know where to start. I'm just so delighted with everything,
so pardon my gushing!

I'm eyeballing the home-made pickles despite having just
finished a late lunch with my DH. Liz included the recipe for
them as well which is terrific cause I don't have a one I've
tried that I'm happy with.

Pumpkln pie almonds - munching on them now & they're
really yummy (couldn't resist), Ghirardelli chocolate
candies which probably wont' be around by tomorrow. and
G. cocoa mix that I'm looking forward to having.

2 containers of Jelly Belly bubble gum - one container has
a cute blue daisy on top. Plus Gold Nugget bubble gum in
a sweet little sack.
Sourdough starter and Cioppino Sauce which DH grabbed
right away.

A bottle of Chardonnay wine. Always a plus for Sunday dinner.
2 mini bottles of honey for this tea drinker who will definitely
appreciate them.

Now to the Non-edibles. A San Francisco canvas bag, SF
pot-holder Haight-Asbury t-shirt AND Alcatraz socks (can't
tell you what a hoot I got from those! nd a SF book which
has the most beautiful photos in it. I've never been there but
really would like to visit - it looks like a lovely city. Most of what
I know about SF is through watching "I remember Mama" a
zillion times. I really need to get out more.
There's a silk change purse with a pressed SF coin in it. A
colorful SF mug just right for my size cup of tea and last but
not least some fun, sparkle-y Press-on nails which I'll save
for the 4th of July on Boston's Esplanade next year.

This box was truly a delight to receive. Liz, I can't say thank
you enough! I just wish you were here to hug. If you ever need Bosco let me know.

Thumbnail by Cris316   Thumbnail by Cris316   Thumbnail by Cris316      

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9257247

Im so glad it made it safe glad you like everything this is one of my favorite swaps o.h big hug right back at you!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9257421

Looks like everyone has packed a SUPER box! Nice going Liz!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9257444

It's amazing, all the diversity of food, beverages and goodies being shared. You guys rock!
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9257614

So glad that everything got there in one piece cause I was worried about that bottle of wine with the jelly in the box too - I wanted to add more, but that bottle takes up so much room lol..

Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9257840

Liz, DH & I tried the pickles - ohhhh Very Yummy. Thanks for the
recipe as we'll certainly try to duplicate it.

Take good care of the knee - the outside heals much faster than the
inside does. Keep icing it even when you don't think it needs it.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9257843

I did the math - mine should hopefully be on-site Thursday. At least, I hope so - if it arrives tomorrow I won't be able to see if everything arrived okay until LATE. My Wednesday class schedule is a bit on the crazy side.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2012
10:21 PM

Post #9257857

Oh, such neat boxes! Eagerly awaiting for my box to come, too :)
Michelle
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 29, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9257929

oh wow LK nice box and look at the BBQ sauce and ham yummmm
your going to be busy cooking!

thanks cris,
just finished another batch Monday my mom and sister were fighting over them again, i get my veggies from our local farmers market seems to be much cheaper to make that way.

great boxes ladies nice arrangements
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9257941

I was thinking we all need to plan a road trip where we stop at each others houses for a meal LOL
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9257981

Chris there wasn't a nick on a thing, good job wrapping, when I opened it I had to laugh because I knew you would be concerned. That bottle of wine and I are going to sit on the swing on have a long slow conversation...rofl.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9258514

LOL happ, that sounds like a plan. Don't have a swing but do have porches and a new bottle of wine to sip on. Got it chilling as we speak.

Carey, I am SO proud of my goodies!

T-Shirt fits perfectly, what a great color, and says Keep Austin Weird...lol There has to be a hidden meaning there.
Stubb's BBQ Moppin Sauce I know is good and is one of our favs on ribs and chicken.
Fara's 'Signature Roast' Coffee smells heavenly. You know we're major coffee drinkers here.
Kerbey Lane Cafe Gingerbread Pancake Mix sounds so unusual. Will give it a try this week-end and bet it's tasty topped with bananas.
TX reusable shopping bag is already in my car.
2 huge fancy dog biscuits look and smell good enough for us to eat. Yes, I had to move inside to finish opening the goodies. Jill kept trying to stick her nose in the box and Mickey was doing his twirl for a treat dancing around my feet. Mind you both beggars had just had biscuits from our mail lady.
As you can see, the Pico de Gallo is about 1/3 gone. We had turkey sandwiches for lunch and I pigged out with the Pico and tortilla chips. Major onion breath now but do I care?! Hubs doesn't eat raw onions so this is all mine.
What kind of peppers are these? If you were trying to trick me into eating one raw, ain't gonna happen. Just want to know how hot or not these are and how you prepare yours. Thought it was ingenious you used one of those frozen ice packs in the bag with the Pico and peppers. Arrived very fresh as you can tell.
Wine, now this sounds like my kind of a good sip or two and is from Wimberly Valley Winery. 'Texas Country Cellar's sweet blush...description says it's full of fruity aromas and hints of raspberry. Yum.
Fabulous goodies, Carey, and I am pleased as punch! Pooches thank you too :)

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9258575

Oh my Fruity, those look like Hatch chiles. They are only available for a very short time and are some of the most flavorful of the chiles. They aren't hot like a jalapeno, we use them in scrambled eggs, meatloaf, Italian dishes, they are wonderful!!!!!
Folks buy them by the case and freeze them for year round.

Joy

This message was edited Aug 29, 2012 10:08 PM

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012

Post #9258597

Joy is correct! They are hatch chiles. I sent you 1 lb so you should have enough for a while. :)

The Gingerbread pancakes from Kerbey Lane are legendary and a true Austin original. The Chuy's shirt (also an Austin original - Chuy's not the shirt!) has Austin's motto. It's more about supporting local business than anything else.
Stubbs is also located in downtown Austin. There are several wonderful BBQ places (just ask Conde Nast or Anthony Bourdain!) but not many actually package their sauce.

The shopping bag (UT Longhorns) and the pico de gallo are from HEB, a grocery chain also started in Austin.

Fara Coffee is fair trade, Nicaraguan origin and roasted in Austin. (sense a theme here?) ;)

The dog biscuits are a local shop that bakes them fresh. Couldn't let the pups out, even if one is a bit smelly!

The wine was the only thing not from Austin proper. You'll have to let me know if it's any good! I haven't tried the Wimberley ones yet (and one of the local wine fans said there is a 'wine trail' now in Texas that features some 42 vineyards. Wow!)

The ice pack was actually from deejay when she sent the cheeses. I thought that was a great idea so recycled on the way!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9258814

Everything is simply wonderful, Carey. Haven't opened the wine but will definitely give you my opinion, not that I have a developed palate but do enjoy fruity wines. I'll chop and freeze some of the Hatch chilis and dole them out slowly over the Winter. They really sound like a delicacy and noticed they're very fragrant without being overpowering. Thanks for the suggestions how to use them too, Joy. Our mail lady gave us more eggs from her farm and will scramble a few Sunday morning with chopped chilis to go with our gingerbread pancakes. My mouth's already watering. Oh, the chili seeds would be great saved too since we're planning a veggie garden next year. A new one to try. Already been scoping out electric fencing, darn deer.

Two of you have let me know you're running a bit late and your recipients' boxes will hopefully be in the mail one day next week. That's perfectly fine and thank you for the heads up.

Our Fall Houseplants / Tropicals swap is open. Awfully lonely over there now with just me twiddling my thumbs. Y'all come over and check it out or better yet, sign-up. Last dedicated plant hurrah of the year...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1277639/

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9258862

Fruity, roast those peppers before you use them and you will love the flavor. Know how?

Here is a fav recipe for Hatch chiles.

Roasted Hatch Chile Stew Recipe with Sweet Potato, Corn and Lime
Slow cooker recipes are favorites around here. Brown the beef and toss the remaining ingredients into the cooker. Easy. Peasy. Delicious. My version of Hatch chile stew uses two heaping cups of roasted chiles because, well. We like our green chile stew intense. The sweet potatoes soften the heat. Sort of. Around here we like our chile hot.

Ingredients:

1 lb. organic ground free-range beef or ground turkey
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 red onion, diced
2 heaping cups chopped roasted Hatch chiles
1 large or 2 smaller sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 ears of fresh sweet corn, cut off the cob
1 14-oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
3 cups broth, or so- as needed
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
1-2 fresh limes
A pinch of sugar, if needed

For serving:

Sliced avocado
Sour cream
Fresh cilantro or mint, chopped

Instructions:

Brown the ground beef in a large skillet and pour off the fat. Dump the beef into the slow cooker or Crock Pot. Add the olive oil, garlic, onion, roasted Hatch chiles, sweet potato, corn and tomatoes. Stir together. Pour enough broth over the ingredients to cover- you don't ant it too soupy. Or maybe you do.

If you like your stew brothy, add more broth. I want you to be happy, Babycakes.

Add in the spices, sea salt and pepper. (We'll use the limes later.) Stir and cover.

Cook on high or low depending upon your time frame and the manufacturer's instructions (you read those instruction booklets, don't you?).

Before serving, taste test and add the lime juice to brighten flavors. If the chiles are too hot (read: spicy) for your tender taste buds add a pinch of sugar. Taste again. Yes?

Serve with slices of ripe avocado and a dollop of sour cream (Steve ate his with sour cream, I did not- being the GFCF goddess that I am; it was still rockin'). Sprinkle fresh chopped cilantro or mint on top.

Serves 4.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9258867

Green Enchilada by Misty Weathers-

•2 cans creamy chicken mushroom soup
•1 can water
•2 dozen corn tortillas
•1 lb. grated cheese
•chopped onion
•garlic powder to taste
•chopped Hatch Valley Green Chile

Mix soup, water, garlic and chile. Cook soup for a few minutes. Heat tortillas. Roll small amounts of cheese and onions in tortillas and place in pan. Pour soup mixture over tortillas and bake for 30-40 minutes. Serve.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9258874

Last one for now

Hatch Green Chile Eggs

INGREDIENTS:

3 Hatch green chiles -- roasted, chopped and peeled
1 pound monterey jack cheese, grated
12 eggs
1 carton (16 ounce size) sour cream

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Layer chiles with the grated cheese in a buttered or greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish.

Combine the eggs and sour cream and pour over the chiles and cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until it puffs like a souffle.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 29, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9258917

Hi, all.
Neat box, Susan :) I loved your description of your dogs as you were opening everything :) Could just picture them. Reminded me of when I received Charleen's box for my birthday last year. She had some dog bones in there for my guide dog, and he was eager to "help" open the box! LOL
Michelle

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
10:18 PM

Post #9258977

Darnit Joy, now I'm going to have to head to HEB and buy another pound of the things! lol

Fruity, those gingerbread pancakes are absolutely To. Die. For. I always have them with butter and maple syrup - and that's it, but then I'm a plain Jane that way! Chuy's has a big festival every year when the hatch chiles ripen. They specialize in crazy shirts and even have a special one during Hatch Chile time as well.

I'll have to take a picture of the shirt wall in the restaurant near our house. :)
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9259066

nice box omg gingerbread pancakes are soooo good!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9259848

Wow, Joy, thanks a bunch for the recipes. The one for Stew sounds delicious! Never would have thought to add sweet potatoes.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9260165

You are welcome Fruity, there are tons of good ones on the web, almos5 all recommend roasting them first. I prefer to roast and take the char off them before freezing. if you put regular potatoes in the stew it will be a "different" stew but just as good.

Carey, I just picked up my second batch a HEB. 3# this time. Plan on roasting them on the grill and freezing them. That means I will need to go back and get some more to cook with. So I am right with you girl.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 31, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9260840

Sorry everyone, had a family emergency... everything is OK now, so anyway, I will get pics taken tomorrow:) AND...my box is finally going out! I am so sorry buddy! I do hope it's worth the wait!
Have a GREAT weekend everyone!
Ali-C
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9261047

OK, folks, stay tuned for my attempt at crockpot Hatch Stew soon since I picked up a few missing ingredients today. I'm Roasting those bad boys tomorrow. Today was shot at the grocery store and ran several errands beforehand. Then I wanted to visit a neighbor this afternoon to share some of the extra ears of corn I'd picked up. She's kept us in fresh veggies all Summer and wanted to reciprocate something. It's never a short time at her house but it's always fun. She still sent me home with a dozen or so Roma tomatoes and a hanging basket of Beefsteak Plant, Perilla frutescens lol

Joy and anybody else, when red, yellow or orange bell peppers are on sale, like a buck or under apiece instead of pushing $4 #, I stock up and use this method to preserve them in olive oil. Really quick, easy and economical.

This recipe makes 2-3 pints, depending on the size of your bells. If you have more bells, it's easy to preserve more...just do the math for the other ingredients.

Cook Time Per Batch: ~50 minutes

Ingredients
8 red, yellow or orange bell peppers; or a combination of your choice
6-8 Tbsp's good quality EVOO
1 to 1-1/2 cups vinegar (type is your choice)
Kosher or Sea salt
Sterilized canning jars, lids and rings
A dinner knife

Wash, dry and lightly oil peppers.
Roast using your preferred method...over a wood fire, on a grill, on an open burner or broil in the oven. Turn peppers about every 10 minutes until all sides of the skins have blackened.
Place them in a paper bag and roll down the open end to seal the steam. Let the bag sit for 10 minutes or until the peppers are comfortable for you to handle.
Place each one in a paper towel and rub off the charred skins.
You can preserve them whole, but at this point I prefer to either cut each one in half or in quarters. * See footnote below.
Use a sharp knife and remove all membranes and seeds.
Drop peppers into a dish to which you've added a shallow amount of vinegar. Dredge the peppers and reserve liquid.
Place them in another bowl, sprinkle with kosher or sea salt, and gently toss. Repeat with another sprinkling of salt if you wish. Reserve liquid.
Pour ~1/2" of vinegar in each jar.
Pack peppers and leave 1/2" - 3/4" of headroom.
Pour reserved liquids in each jar and distribute among them as evenly as possibly. Add more vinegar to cover peppers, still leaving a bit of headroom.
Run a dinner knife down the sides of the jars to release air. Add more vinegar if you still have 1/2" or more headroom.
Pour 1/4" of EVOO in each jar or the equivalent you need to almost fill them to the rims.
Finish by placing lids and rings on each jar and hand tighten. It isn't necessary to do a hot water bath unless you're a Purist. 10-15 minutes in the hot tub if you are.
Label jars or use a Sharpie on the lids. Shelf life is a year but they don't last nearly that long around here.
Refrigerate after opening.

* Half a pepper covers a fat burger. And smaller pieces, like quarters, are great chopped and used in homemade 'pimento' cheese. Can't tell a smidgen worth of a difference between pricey Pimentos and these roasted bells.

#####

For those mailing soon, don't forget Monday is Labor Day, a postal holiday. I'd hate for any of you to spend week-end time packing, then run to your PO Monday ready to stand in line when there won't be one 0:)

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9261056

Good golly Fruity, that sounds fantastic.

So when are we going to do a DG cookbook??
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9261244

sounds so good fruity!!!
lol im the water bath nut
Mandy97
Paw Paw, MI

September 1, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9261948

I got my box today! Thank you Susan/Fruity! As I came on a little late, Susan and I traded. You pack a great box Susan!

I received a lot of great stuff! There is a bacon chunk, cornbread mix, bread and butter pickles, seasoned flour, grits, wing sauce, peanuts, chow chow (I've never had it, but it looks good), honey with comb, and a very cute card.

So much yummy goodness! I tried the pickles and they are probably the best bread and butter pickles I've had. Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy your box. :)

Thumbnail by Mandy97   Thumbnail by Mandy97         

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2012
12:23 AM

Post #9262036

Mandy, sounds like you received quite a variety of things :) What is chow chow?
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9262173

Gals, got to tell ya'll supper last night was delicious! Thanks again for the Hatch chilis, Carey, and down-home recipe, Joy. After roasting there was about 3/4 C of chili flesh. Hubby said don't change a thing. We enjoyed it with avocado slices and buttered Teay's Valley cornbread muffins. Oh since I already had Greek yogurt on hand, we used dollops of that instead of sour cream.

Mandy, I'm glad your goodies all made it in tact, always worry about mailing glass jars. As mentioned privately, the cured bacon is a great seasoning agent, a little goes a long way.

Michelle, and anybody else who would like to know, Chow-chow is a sweet and sour relish, typically made with cabbage, and Southerners like it over any kind of greens or beans:

http://headspacecanning.blogspot.com/2011/08/chow-chowhorrible-name-tasty-relish.html

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9262237

Awesome box!
Glad the recipe was a success, Fruity. I made the scrambled eggs but mixed them last night and poured them over some torn up bread. Baked it this morning while we did chores. Yum.

Joy

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9262489

Fruity, that looks soooooo yummy. Alright, you ladies have convinced me pick up a few pounds.

I'm thinking that stew roundabouts January instead of my traditional chili.

And I had a thought - if anyone gets my name for any future swaps that happens to live in the deep south, could someone send me a few bricks of fat back? Texas tries to consider itself part of the south, but I have yet to stumble on any salt pork at the store. Green beans made with plain ol' bacon just isn't the same. :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9262645

Oh, Carey, I'll send you some fatback. Anybody else? That's all my Mother used to season with, that and lard...lol
I'm all for one-pot meals like soups, stews and chilis, especially in cooler months.

Unless I've missed someone, these gals are patiently waiting to receive:
Chicory31 / Kerrie
GardenQuail / Michelle
rouxcrew / Joy

Hope we can wrap up this year's food tour by next week-end.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9262647

Carey, remind me to look in my freezer to see if I still have some when you come to the RU. I always get some when I have a pig processed.

Joy

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9262890

Fruity and Joy, you are both my heroes!!!!

Joy, I will happily bring you a surprise in trade for some tasty tasty salt pork!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012

Post #9264899

Mandy, you're my hero of the day! Wow, what a great box that came from you today...

Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake -- > Now I know Michigan is famous for Blueberries. The cake is fresh and moist! Had to have a couple of bites this afternoon during my coffee break.
100% Beeswax Candle in the shape of a Morel mushroom -- > the real deal also pops up in our yard occasionally too.
A handcrafted Pachouli scented bar of soap -- > How did you know Pachouli is one of my fav all-time scents?
Fleming Farms Maple Syrup -- > Think I'll open the bottle when we have those gingerbread pancakes.
Blue Gate Bakery Peanut Butter Spread made by the Amish -- > Amish food is always delicious. Hub's has already claimed the jar.
Possibly saved the best for last -- > Jars of Kosher Pickles and Strawberry Jam, both picture perfect, made by Mandy and her hubby.

What a wonderful surprise to come home to after running errands. Thank you so much, Mandy!
Loved your handwritten note too explaining these very thoughtful gifts :)

######

At least one more of you have received your goodies. Come on and give us a show and tell.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9264919

Not me, no box or notice here.
Great box you sent Mandy

Joy
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9264931

Won't be long for those still waiting, Joy, Michelle and Kerrie. The box I mentioned was received last week.
Mandy97
Paw Paw, MI

September 4, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9264963

I'm glad everything made it intact! You're very welcome - I hope you enjoy. I was a bit worried about the cake with the weekend long delay, but it sounds like it managed to hold up okay.

Glad you like the scent! It was one you listed on your page of favorites. :)

It's fun watching everyone's box arrive and all of the tasty goodies! This is my favorite swap.

Mandy

This message was edited Sep 4, 2012 7:35 PM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9265024

Everything's perfect, Mandy! I always worry about mailing glass jars too. Great packing job and goodies we will both enjoy. Since I'm not an early breakfast eater, hubby usually tides himself over until mid-morning with a piece or two of fruit and mentioned how much he's going to enjoy the Peanut spread on a Banana sandwich in the morning.

Really hope none of you think I'm a pig sending and receiving two boxes but have done the same thing in the past when we had someone wanting to join after names were assigned. My goal is to never leave anyone out! Plus we were a couple of months early this year compared to the past. Next Fall, I'll ask for a list of volunteers at the start should the same situation arise. That's the fair thing to do and honestly never thought about asking ahead.

You're all special people and friends to me!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9265530

Love that box of goodies you got! It all looks scrumptious!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9266556

Hi, all.
Oh, that box sounds wonderful. I love that idea of real maple syrup to go with those gingerbread pancakes :) AND i bet that peanut spread will go nicely with bananas!
Continuing to watch for my box :)
Michelle

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9266588

Fruity did you try those Gingerbread pancakes?
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9267247

Blueberry cake! I will be right over !
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9267298

Not yet, Carey, but probably will Sunday. Yeah, yeah, I know I said that before. What is difficult to decide is if I want to make pancakes or the recipe on the side of the box for Gingerbread Cookies, one of my favs that ranks right up there with Oatmeal Raisin.

Mandy, I hope you've tried this yummy gooey peanut butter spread. It is SO tasty laced with marshmellow cream and almost has a roasted marshmellow flavor. Perfect snack for me between Ritz crackers.

LOL Kerrie, the blueberry cake is history. Probably shouldn't tell ya it was chocked full of blueberries and topped with blueberry jam just under the frosting. Oh my!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9267348

Hi, all.
Oh, that blueberry cake does sound yummy! And such a decision... gingerbread pancakes or gingerbread cookies :) Any way you could do both? Then you wouldn't have to choose :)
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9267399

Michelle, Let me tell you what a great idea that is. Just checked both recipes again. The package has 16 ounces of mix and it takes 3 cups for cookies and 1 cup for four or five 5" pancakes, which means since it's just hubby and me, I could make a batch of cookies and reserve a cup of mix for pancakes too! Even the box smells like gingerbread.

This is an interesting blurb from the back of the box: "If you took all the pancakes ever served at the Kerbey Lane Cafes in Austin, Texas [in business since 1980] and laid them end to end, the line would form a continuous pancake pathway from Austin to Denver; however, it would constitute a colossal waste of a whole bunch of really good pancakes."

Supper was grilled burgers with sliced Better Boy tomatoes hubby grew (grown late on purpose and are just starting to enjoy a few ripe ones), and baked tater tots. For another side, Mandy, I had to open your jar of Kosher dills. You really know how to pack a jar, slice upon slice! They are not only crisp, but also have just the right amount of twang. Hubs said to tell you they're some of the best he's ever eaten and I agree that they rival ones my late Mother used to make :) Would you mind sharing your recipe with us?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9267565

Well dagnabbit Fruity, Maybe I should've sent you a box of the pumpkin mix too? ;)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9268105

Thoughtful, Carey, but neither of us are pumpkin fans. Got a brick of fat back for you and will pop it in the mail tomorrow, along with the frequent flyer freezer bottle. Hopefully you'll receive the package Monday.

OK Peeps, time is fleeting. If you haven't mailed your box, please do so ASAP. Our buddies Joy, Kerrie and Michelle are patiently waiting.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9268268

Then I made a good choice. :)

All this fat back from all over! I'm dancing in the kitchen right now! :D (that's good, it'll give me time to work up to knocking everyone's socks off at Joy's later this month!
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9268435

OMG Blueberries under the frosting, What the heck. No wonder it is long gone LOL
Mandy97
Paw Paw, MI

September 7, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9268509

That cake I didn't get a chance to try - but it sounds wonderful. That peanut butter is my favorite - and they have a peanut butter pie that is incredible - but that wouldn't ship well. I have to pick some up anytime I end up in Amish country. I'll just end up picking up another small jar of peanut butter and maybe another pie once I get there again - hopefully at least once more before the snow flies.
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
11:59 PM

Post #9268645

Never heard of gingerbread pancakes but every time Fruity
mentions them I just start drooling. Hope they are as wonderful
as they sound. Think I might order some to try.

Mandy, I sent a cheesecake priority mail to my SIL in NC.
Packed it in a styrofoam cooler with a cool pack on top & bottom.
Took 2 days: SIL said it arrived still cold and in good shape. So
you may just want to try to send that peanut butter one you're
thinking of.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9268844

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1277320/
Just a few more days to add your name to the list for the PJ night gown swap!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9269483

You have to try the Blueberry Cake, Mandy. It was melt-in-your-mouth delicious and I savored every bite.

Carey, Over the years I've either mailed or delivered some strange stuff, but have never mailed Fatback until today. The strangest request ever was from my SIL several years ago when we were neighbors and co-workers, long before she moved to DFW. She wanted cow manure to fertilize her tomato plants and remember my Mom and me scooping it up with shovels in Summer on a hot Sunday. I took several buckets to work the next day and we still chuckle remembering that and how she swears those were the best tomatoes she's ever grown...lol

Joy, how I wish I could be a fly on the wall at your RU the end of this month. Y'all be sure to take pictures!

One of you received your goodies last week from Cris...we're all anxiously waiting for you to show your appreciation and post pics!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9269722

One year I got a gift of manure in shape of an animal and you just sit it out by the plant. Funniest thing, and it was a hit at the office when I got it. rofl. I put it by my jack mani clematis. It lasted a long time and had the greatest flowers from it for years. I tried to seach for the company on the web but don't see them.

My box is going out next week. Sorry for the delay guys.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9269751

Dung topiary...lol

It's gingerbread pancake day! Back later after I stuff my face.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9270053

Our late morning breakfast was delicious...buttered Gingerbread pancakes with Mandy's Maple syrup, Canadian bacon, farm eggs sunny side up and sliced Roma tomatoes. Yum!
Mid-afternoon snack was cheese, crackers and fruit while watching part of a football game. I may not eat supper.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9270189

LOL Fruity, I thought you were going to say that you mailed that cow manure! I was thinking about what the poor postman would be thinking... LOL :)
Off to get dinner :) Thinking about some yummy bacon I have... Found a great way to fix it: You cook it in the oven. Don't have to turn it, and clean-up is much simpler. And, you can cook a whole bunch of it at a time! I used to cook it in the microwave until my microwave died. But this worked so nicely that I may just continue cooking bacon in the oven, even after we have a working microwave again :)
Michelle
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9270966

Michelle once you cook Bacon in the oven you never look back . I hate cooking it stove top now!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9271472

A lot of restaurants cook bacon in the oven, nice and easy way to cook a lot at one time!
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2012
3:47 AM

Post #9272809

I received the most delicious box from Cris. She sent something for everyone in the family including the dogs, as well as gardening supplies that I was looking to replace. Thank you so much Cris. I wouldn't let anyone near the box until I could take the pictures so my family has been patiently waiting for over a week to start snacking.

She sent me
Bosco all natural chocolate syrup (the college students are fighting over this one)
Tomato soup
Vegetable soup
peanut and milk chocolate M&M's
Roasted peppers
Salt Water Taffy
Home made cookies, which are very delicious
and doggy treats.
The gardening supplies included
A wonderful canvas bag that Cris sewed pockets on and painted some native NJ flowers, you are very talented.
inside the canvas bag was a plastic container, that had smaller plastic containers to collect seeds and a sharpie with some label so that I can write down what the seeds are. This is so awesome!!!!!
gardening shears
and gardening gloves.

Thumbnail by Tina_A   Thumbnail by Tina_A         

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9272818

Nice box of goodies there Tina!
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9273673

Relieved that you like the box after all Tina :)
I was thinking the worst & that it hadn't arrived
intact or that you were disappointed with it.

Glad too that you liked the bag I was pretty
proud of that.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
11:15 PM

Post #9273718

Quite an assortment of goodies :)
Michelle

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9273818

Picked up my box at the PO yesterday. I am so glad Alicia stamped "Fragile" all over it. The way it was smooshed I would hate to think what would have happened if it hadn't been. But because of the great parking job she did, everything came out fine.
Got me some honey and maple syrup! And some apple butter and strawberry rhubarb jam. Haven't had the second in years and can't wait to try it. Got a "sippy" cup (lol) and a insulated mug from her local high school, and a gnome. There is some wonderful smelling coffee and some absolutely gorgeous cards. Alicia, did you make those? The cards not the coffee. They are really cool. Since I am doing this from memory I may have forgotten something but thanks so much.
I am heading to Waco this morning to pick up a BC puppy for a friend and will take some photos this evening.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 13, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9273978

Hey Joy!
I am glad you liked your box of goodies! I did make the cards:) Besides gardening, I love paper crafting! Thanks for being patient!
Alicia

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9274080

What fantastic boxes to wrap up the swap!!!!

I'd love to try that chocolate syrup myself. Yummy!

Joy, I'd love to try some of that coffee in a few weeks if I may. :)
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9274110

Joy, those foods sound delicious!
Still checking for my box to see if it has arrived while I was out... Even my guide dog knows the routine now! :)
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9274257

A lot of thought has gone into everyone's goodies and think this is the best year yet :)

Yours will be there soon, Michelle and Kerrie. I promise!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9274323

Hi, all!
Yes, mine arrived! Got back from having lunch with a friend, and my friend told me there was a package waiting for me. She said it was from Tina in Texas. Thank you, Tina_A! I'll post more after my husband gets home and tells me exactly what everything is, but Tina sent honeys, soaps, cookies, and more! Oh, and Tina, if you were able to take pictures for me, can you post them so everyone can see what I received? Thanks!
Michelle

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9275440

JOY : I'm Out Of PICKLE SURE Could use MUCH MORE Can you Please share the recipe With me I Found that they Perk up My Salads, Eggs, My Chicken WRAPS Oh Heck I Can eat them Out of the Jar they are so good & FAT FREE :))))
wine time back in the morning

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9275871

OK, here is my pic of the wonderful stuff Alicia sent. I forgot to say that the coffee she sent was Mackinaw Island Fudge and that she also sent a reusable shopping bag from the local store where the jams came from.

Thanks again,

Joy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9276109

You forgot the picture!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9276141

Oops

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9276150

Oh, the fudge from Mackinaw is wonderful!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9276158

I'd be savoring every sip of that coffee, Joy. Great job, Alicia, and always enjoy seeing your pretty cards.

Once again it looks like Honey has won hands down as the most popular item shared.

Hang in there, Kerrie. I know you have not been forgotten and as the old saying goes, 'Good things come to those who wait.'

Mandy97
Paw Paw, MI

September 15, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9276205

Mackinac Island fudge is some of the best. It looks like everyone's boxes have been fantastic!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9276237

Hi, all.
Finally getting back to tell you more about what was in my box. Tina got me the following, all from local vendors: My box contained the following items:
Two jars of honey (one large, one small): the smaller jar is buckwheat honey -- I really LOVE the darker buckwheat honey. The buckwheat honey we get around here is lighter in color and just isn't the same. The larger jar doesn't specify what kind it is. Looking forward to trying both honeys :)
One bottle of Sadie B. Foods Barbecue Sauce (with some recipes and a business card): It does have a little cayenne in it, so hopefully it won't be too hot for me, but even if it is, my husband will enjoy it! When we have a working fridge again, we'll have to give it a try :)
A bag of almond toffee: I suspect the ice packs were in there to keep these from melting; they look like they made it in good shape, and sound delicious!
A container of mango cookies: I've been hearing them calling my name -- I really shouldn't keep them waiting any longer! LOL
Lip Moisture: Will be interesting to try.
And several kinds of soap: a Chocolate-Cinnamon soap, a Honey soap, a Goat Milk Cucumber Melon soap, and a large bar of "green" soap (Tina says the vendor called it "everything left over" soap): They look hand-made and smell wonderful!
Tina's shopping got delayed by school. Certainly can understand how that can happen. If Tina is unable to post pictures soon, I'll see if my husband can take a picture and help me post it.
Thanks, Tina! We'll definitely enjoy all these wonderful goodies :) And I wish you the best with school!
Michelle
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2012
10:45 PM

Post #9280734

Mango cookies? sound interesting although I've never
heard of them before. Sounds like a wonderful box
Michelle :)

Liz - we're savoring the last few remaining pickles and
looking forward to making some shortly. Thank you again
for the recipe - these truly are the tastiest pickles we've
had!
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9280981

thanks cris have fun making them :)
michelle, box sounds yummy
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9281325

Mango cookies those sound awesome , with tea and buckwheat honey.
I haven't kept up on here the weather has been amazing here. So I would rather be outside than in.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9281334

Hi, all.
Sorry we don't have a picture for you yet... Still trying to get my husband to take the picture :) And, maybe there will still be a cookie or few left for the pic - I'm really trying to save some! :) The cookies have some icing on them. Not sure if the mango flavor is in the cookie itself or in the icing. But, they really are tasty.
The buckwheat honey is also very tasty on toasted rye bread :)
Michelle
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9281367

Michelle if I were you, I would have to take pictures of the cookie crumbs LOL

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 20, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9281454

I made my first batch of sweet Jalepenos from Taters55! I begged for the recipe and she was gracious enough to share! The bad thing I have to wait 2 weeks until they are ready:( Seriously they are SOOO good! Thank you again Taters! Deejay I will bring you a jar on Sat:)
Alicia

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9281500

Hope you opened your doors when you were cooking that sauce! The longer they sit, the sweeter they will be, in two weeks, they may be still on the hot side. Just depends on the jalapeño's you get.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 21, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9281828

Yummy! Soooo maybe I should wait a little longer:)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9281841

You can open one in two weeks, if it too hot, just keep it in the fridge. All others can stay on a shelf in the cupboard till they are ready! And don't forget to shake each jar every now and then, to mix up those spices, they like to settle at the bottom!

This message was edited Sep 21, 2012 7:10 AM

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9282089

Sorry alicia BEAT YA I Made some a WEEK AGO Sunday & I Tasted last night MMMMMMMM so good also put a couple in my Salad today MMMMMM Thinking of you while I'm enjoying a Bit Of TEXAS that Joy Shared with me :))

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 21, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9282340

You bum! Did you make the ones from Tater? Or from Joy? I'm jelous!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9282372

you can see when you get here :)

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9282399

Glad it worked for you, I made a fresh batch for our RU in two weeks.

Joy
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9282502

Three cookies left... Told my husband that he better take the picture soon if he wanted another cookie :) hee hee hee
He said we'd take a picture this evening. But it might cost another to get it posted! Oh, wait... Or I could give him some almond toffee to post it :) That's disappearing, too :( Both very yummy :)
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2012
11:45 PM

Post #9282738

Yay! Here's a photo of the items in my box! :-) Thanks again, Tina!
Michelle

Thumbnail by GardenQuail

Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 22, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9282801

Michelle,
I'm glad that you liked everything in your box. I did take pictures,but my stupid computer wouldn't import them for some reason. I haven't had a chance to try at the library yet. I love goat milk soap, and hopefully will be making my own in the near future. Tina
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 23, 2012
1:02 AM

Post #9283656

Hi, Tina.
Hate it when technology doesn't work together! Thanks for trying, though. I figured you were probably busy with school. My husband says the cookies and toffee are yummy, too :) Looking forward to trying all the other goodies soon!
I don't think I've used goat milk soap before, but am looking forward to trying it out :)
That would be neat if you can make goat milk soap, too... You'll have to let me know how it turns out!
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9289330

Michelle, goat's milk soap is wonderful but you've probably discovered that by now. Makes your skin oh so soft.

Woo hoo! Our last-but-certainly-not-least box was delivered today. Raise your hand, Kerrie, show and tell what you got :)

Hatch chile fans, I found jars of the chiles last week-end at Williams Sonoma, bought two, and made another batch of the stew Monday. Each of us had a big bowl full, gave one to a neighbor and froze the rest. Am saving one jar for a cold Winter's day.

Have a fine time at your Round-Up tomorrow, Joy. Looks like there may be some wet tail feathers in your neck of the woods.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9289997

HEY ALL NEW SWAP FOR BULBS IS OPEN come check us out
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1282221/
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9290031

Hi,
Yesterday I received a box from Missouri full of things I miss !
I took some pictures and when my husband gets home I will load them and post them here.
Thanks So much Happ the LaMar's donuts, yeah their gone, the arrived in really good condition too! I had some of the coffee with them. I did share both.
Cherry Smash these are a un-messy alternative to cherry cordials, I ate 1/2 of one.
Visor wore it this morning to keep the rain out of my face when we went to a lure coursing trial this AM. Can't tell you how many evenings were spent in Westport ;)
Tomorrow we will be eating some Gate's BBQ sauce on some ribs, and french fries . My daughter was happy to see that.
The scrubber I love it! I had one but I wore it out.
Thank you for the note cards, they are really cute.
Oh the photo album made from a license plate , I love it! I am picking out some fun pics to put in it. Probably stuff from when I was working at Powell.
I love the canvas bag it will go in the car for the farmers market.

Thanks for everything Joyce!

Kerrie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9290088

I am so glad the lamar's made it...really didn't know how that would work. Sadly I had a box of russell stovers chocolates for you but when I got back to the car from mailing your package, there they were so I was forced to eat them...rofl. I don't know anyone who could eat a whole cherry mash talk about a sugar overload...rofl. My Mom use to love them.

Ughhh that canvas bag...intentions were good, technic not so much. I read everything on the internet about how to transfer pictures from ink jet printers and laser printers and I am here to tell you 3 bags later, yours looked really nice until I washed it... ;( But it is good for something. I had some great pictures on it for you from around town...oh well.

The license plate photo album was really fun to make, from the tags off my old car. DH thought for sure I had lost my mind. Glad he has lots of metal working tools.

You worked at Powell gardens...wow that would be like putting an chocolate addict working at russell stovers...rofl.
Glad everything arrived safely, and so sorry about it being so late.

Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9290419

LOL We stopped at the Russell Stover outlet in I think McPherson Kansas ( my husband was living in Wichita at the time for work) We had my daughter's BF with us at the time. He bought like 10lbs of chocolates LOL
carried them home of the plane.
Oh yeah working at Powell was fun. I worked in the Rock and Waterfall garden (woodland) and then the Island Garden. My husband and I were married in the chapel. SO I always tell people I got married at work LOL
I sent you a PM and told you about the bag I tried to make. Sad really sad LOL
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9290872

Wonder if anyone has really been able to make those bags I was beginning to wonder what my problem was. Look so simple on the Internet...rofl. I did read several bad things on office depot and staples about transfer paper so I didn't even try that route. Rofl. Love the story about the candy. Dh has to watch his sugar and we went to the outlet one time and he spent 45$ on sugar free candy. ..lol
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9290885

Wonderful box, happ!
Bet you were beyond pleased, Kerrie receiving goodies from your old stomping grounds! The license plate photo album sounds ingenious.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9290913

Can't wait to see all your goodies! What is cherry mash? It sure sounds good!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9291195

Sounds like lots of fun surprises for you! And some quite creative ones, too :)
Hey, we should soon get to try the bbq sauce I received... We have a working fridge again!
Haven't tried the new soaps yet... I had just opened some other bars. But I plan to try them soon :)
Michelle
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9291198

Cherry Mash is like a big bonbon the inside is bright pink, cherry flavored (very cherry flavored) covered in chocolate and peanuts. They taste like a cherry cordial. Only not liquidy =)
The canvas bag thing I think is a ruse to sell plain canvas bags to the unsuspecting. I guess the paper could have been bad... I refuse to think it was something we did LOL
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9291199

We are having BBQ today! My husband is smoking ribs and a pork roast as I write, they will be smothered in Gates BBQ sauce =D
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9291230

Is it too late for me to come for dinner? rofl...

...way back when...rofl... cherry mashes were alot bigger and honestly I don't know how anyone could eat a whole one now at one sitting, let alone back then when they were bigger. They are super sweet. I like choco covered cherries also but only one at a time with alot of time in between...way sweet.

Fruity never heard of Hatch chili, gonna have to check it out. I use six guns chili mix without the thickener they include.
Wonderful day in Missouri today couldn't be more perfect.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9291280

Well ya'll know how I feel about choco-covered cherries ...not my thing at all because they are so awfully sweet. Now dark and white chocolate bars are in a food group to themselves. I think all candies are smaller than they used to be. A Reese's cup is only two bites now.

Hatch chilies came from Carey, happ, and way up there Joy posted her Hatch Chili Stew recipe. The ones at Williams Sonoma were jarred and not quite as potent or tasty.
The chilies are only in season for a very short time around Labor Day. Didn't realize how short the season really was until I tried to order fresh ones online.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9292800

OK JOY Just had to show you How ADDICTIVE I'am This Jar was Full 2 wks ago RIGHT ALICIA ??? I gave here a SMALL Jar of them
& My Brother Got a SMALLER JAR Yet . & The Rest have been enjoyed
in eggs for BKF, I cannot have salad dressing so my Crab -- chicken- tuna- & egg salad's are made with a mix of Tomato's, pickles,EVOO,
black olives, celery , the pickle juice really spices up salads :) TY for adding my NEW ADDICTION . it is a healthy one :)

Thumbnail by deejay9

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9293048

FYI Susan, you can get Hatch chiles in a can, they are more expensive than regular chiles but I am sure cheaper than William Sonoma. You can also substitute fresh Anchos for the Hatch and it will taste pretty darn good. A fun note for non Texans, these peppers are chile not chili. Chili is that red powder that goes in the pot of ground meat and tomatoes that bears the same name.

Susie, yes they are addictive. I buy the biggest jar I can find to start with which is almost a gallon. And my guys will still try and eat the whole thing in one sitting.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9293346

I thought it was chili seasonings not the peppers...rofl. That's what happens when you don't keep up...lol
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9294068

Just had some of the buckwheat honey that Tina sent in my box, and yes! It's the really dark kind like I remember my parents giving me! :) Very yummy!!!
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9294103

Part of the fun of this swap is never knowing what new foods we'll get to try :)

Mandy, the only things I have left of yours is the Morel candle and bar of Pachouli scented soap. I'd love to have your Kosher Dill Pickle recipe!

Carey, gotta tell you how much the pooches enjoyed those fancy doggie biscuits I saved and just doled out to them Saturday. Same day I wore my Austin T-shirt for the first time while wishing I could be at Joy's RU. It's a nice heavier weight shirt, just right for cool Fall days.

Joy, the jars were on sale and didn't think the price was too bad for around $8 each. When I used one and actually measured, it held more than 3 generous cups. Next time I'm in a 'city' I'll check the fancier grocery stores for canned Hatches. Already checked locally to no avail, but Anchos are plentiful which we both really like. Good to know they can be used as a substitute and assume roasted they freeze well? What about Poblanos as another potential substitute? We do like them stuffed and baked.

Waiting for pics, Kerrie, before I close this one out for another year. Are you still gnawing on rib bones? lol

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9294220

Poblanos don't have the same flavor as Anchos. There are several kinds of big peppers that we get here but that may not be available to you. I find that Hatch and Ancho are interchangeable in recipes with no loss of flavor and a savings for you.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9294941

Here is all my stuff the only thing not used is welllll... Nothing LOL

Thumbnail by Chicory31   Thumbnail by Chicory31         

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9294968

Ok that donut looks awful...rofl...
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9294983

That donut was sooooooo good with the coffee . I made coffee and ate that donut about 20 minutes after I got the box
I will eat a donut no matter what it looks like LOL
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9295011

Thanks, Joy.

Oh I like that photo book! Ok, what did I miss? Is that a pink and cream cookie?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9295640

Well thinking of you Joy I bought lamar's for the office today...rofl...and bought a german chocolate knot, but I ate the long john.

Cookie?, Fruity you must have cookies on the mind, I am thinking you are looking at a pot scrubber... ;)

They make that coffee right down the street from where I work on Southwest Blvd. I don't drink coffee at all, so I have no clue rather it is good or not, but pretty big item here in the city. They use to make Folger's coffee down on main street and omg when they would roast the coffee beans the whole city would smell like coffee and altho I don't drink it, the smell was wonderful. Wish I had pictures to post, semi's full of coffee beans would come into Folgers, and this hydralic lift would pick the semi up off the ground and start tilting it until the beans from the back of the truck slid out into the bin. strange.

Fruity thank you for a great swap once again.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9295706

Oh, I bet that smelled rally nice when they were roasting the coffee!

Fruity, you have outdone yourself again, thanks for the great swap, and can't wait till next year!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9296081

LOL...must be the pot scrubber. It looked like it could be a butter cookie smothered with strawberry and vanilla icing. Gosh happ, did I ever know you don't drink coffee? When I was working there was a restaurant downtown near the farmer's market that roasted it's own beans in a huge vat you could watch in the front window and the scent wafting through the air was downright decadent. A semi full of beans? Umm, would have wanted to dive in before it was lifted...lol Mental pic of that brought out the safety crew.

Thanks, LK. Couldn't have done this without the rest of ya'll.

We'll have a repeat again next year, folks. Possibly a little later when your PEcans are ready, Joy.

Thanks everyone for participating! Enjoyed great times again with you all.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9298901

The trucks full of coffee beans being emptied would sure have been something to see!
One of my guide dogs once stopped to watch the garbage collectors lifting one of those big dumpsters to empty. She thought it was fascinating! She refused to continue guiding until they were done... Bet she would have been amazed to see them lifting a WHOLE TRUCK to empty coffee beans!!! LOL
Michelle
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9298959

Michele my dogs think the garbage man is taking away the good stuff ...
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9299081

Rofl about the dogs. We pay our little city to dump our trash at the city dump and my dogs love going. Rofl when they see the trash bags our bassett starts dancing. Yeah I think all dogs love the trash.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9299082

Funny how their minds work sometimes :)
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
3:21 AM

Post #9299214

Wish we could take our own trash to the dump. The only thing we are allowed to take to the dump here are large items, like tree limbs, and building material scraps. Then you have to pay per pound, and prove with a drivers license that you live in the city limits, if you live on the outskirts of town like we do, you have to pay someone to come and do it! And that is not cheap! Once you're there, you are told where to drive and dump your stuff, and have to immediately leave when done!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9299351

Ours is great we have a electronic card that opens a gate and we just take the trash every couple of days, and it is such an outting for the dogs...rofl. Sadly people are taking advantage of it and dumping old couches and rugs in the dumpster and I am afraid they will stop letting us do it. Living in the country our trash sitting outside wouldn't last a minute before some varment was in it.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9299486

We used to do that when we lived in Ct . All the trash was taken to the transfer station, recyclables too. They had a building you put unwanted items, like dishes ,glassware, small wood chairs, etc. I got several really nice antique vases and some china tea cups. I loved going to the dump LOL
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9307408

Even though we live in the country, we have a private trash service that picks up our trash. I wouldn't DARE leave it out overnight, except that we have one of those big trash carts provided by them, then we have several plastic cans with lids that I can put out if we overflow our cart. Doesn't happen very often, unless I forget to put the cart out one week, or we have a family gathering, or I've been working in the yard. :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America