Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Saving Seeds: is this seed?

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 2, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GardenJeanne
Saint Peters, MO

August 4, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9229792

I have some lillies that bloomed beautifully this year. Many of them have a bulbus thing at the end of the stem and out of curiousity I broke one off and split it open. It has things inside it that look like seed, but I'm really new to all of this and just don't know. So here's a picture... are the tiny things inside this seeds and do I just let them dry out and try to plant them next season?

Thumbnail by GardenJeanne
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2012
1:15 AM

Post #9229960

The tiny things inside are indeed the seeds, but they are not ripe. If there is another seedpod left leave it on the plant until it has turned brown and starts to open. That's the perfect time to gather ripe seeds.

Jonna
GardenJeanne
Saint Peters, MO

August 5, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9230238

cool - thanks! there are a bunch of pods left so I'll just keep an eye on them for when to harvest!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America