Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Hibiscus cuttings?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

How do I take cuttings from a Hibiscus,is their a best method? Any help please?

Center, TX

Hi, I rooted both hardy and tropical last fall. I put the hardy ones in water with a little hydrogen peroxide and they rooted. For the tropical, I used hormone and put them in soil. They are now looking good but I wasn't sure at first. Hope this will work for you. alda

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I was wondering about that as some of them did not react well to the hormornes and others seem to.Thank you for replying as that answers one of my questions. Seems I am always looking for how to info about this or that. lol

Center, TX

Well I'm always glad to help anyone. Lord knows I need plenty of gardening help. alda

church Road, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Alday,
Pardon my stupidity but what do you mean about" Hormone" and how to use it?

Thanks loads, Shleigh

Center, TX

Hey Shliegh, Hormone is a powdered substance that is sold at Wal-Marts. It is white and you wet your cutting and dust with the powder to prevent virus etc from killing the cutting. That`s all I know about it.
Mine is Rootone, Rooting Hormone with fungicide Thanks Alda

church Road, VA(Zone 7a)

Dear Alday,
Thank you so much. I am glad to learn the difference between the hardy and the tropical and how you rooted them.
Shleigh

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi alday, on the cuttings of both about how long do you make them (length) wise? How much H2O2 do you use? and Potting medium for the tropicals? Sorry so many questions, but want to try both. Thanks.

Center, TX

Hi TXtea, I usually cut my cuttings 6" long and remove 2/3 of the leaves leaving the top 1/3. I use hydrogen peroxide, just about 1 tsp. in the water and just a good soil like potting soil. for the tropicals. It takes the trops longer to root.
Sometime I forget about them and then I notice they are putting out new leaves. Keep moist and misted in real hot weather. Good Luck, Alda

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

alday, hope you are still watching this thread. I took a cutting of both types of hibiscus ( hardy in water with hydrogen peroxide ant tropical in potting soil with rooting hormone) question is the tropical seems a little droopy too me, the very top seems ok but larger leaves not to good any advise? Thanks Txtea

Center, TX

Hi, If you will put a clear plastic bag over the pot, it will retain the moisture around the plant and help it root. It may be hotter where you are. Alda

Central, TX(Zone 8b)

Quote from Txtea :
alday, hope you are still watching this thread. I took a cutting of both types of hibiscus ( hardy in water with hydrogen peroxide ant tropical in potting soil with rooting hormone) question is the tropical seems a little droopy too me, the very top seems ok but larger leaves not to good any advise? Thanks Txtea

Tips: Cut the larger leaves in half to reduce transpiration before tenting with plastic to retain moisture while the plant is rooting; mist leaves occasionally to provide moisture, open tenting daily to allow for oxygen exchange; use seedling heat mat to provide bottom heat to aid in rooting of tropicals; keep cuttings in bright, indirect light to promote faster rooting.

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you Garden_Sass

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.