Photo by Melody

Pottery, Clay and Ceramics: DUMB QUESTION!

Communities > Forums > Pottery, Clay and Ceramics
bookmark
Forum: Pottery, Clay and CeramicsReplies: 16, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9230166

HIHI all clay kids!
How is everybody doing? Been pretty quiet around here.

I have been doing alot of throwing lately...I ordered some ner bats and also new pins... but here's my dumb question... I have never attached my bats to the wheel head...ready... now remember I am old and a blonde so take that into consideration...
HOW do I attach the bat tot he wheel head?
See told you it was dumb!

Deb
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9230384

My wheel has two holes in it thru which the bat pins are secured ...so the round top of the pin sticks up from the wheel (the wing-nut is secured under the wheel). My Bats also have holes in them (some have hole in the bottom only), I set the bat so that the tops of the pins are in the bat holes and viola, the bat is secured to the wheel.

Now some people like to put a small wad of clay in between the bat and the wheel, I don't do that but think if I threw greater amounts of clay at one time I may consider it (I tend to make smaller items, throwing no more that 5-7lbs of clay at a time)

hope that helps.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9231538

If you don't have a wheelhead that's drilled for pins, you can use the "old-fashioned" method I was taught for attaching bats.

Center a lump of clay (maybe 1/2 lb) and widen it out about halfway across the wheelhead (as if you were going to throw a small plate) then open it all the way to the wheelhead. Pull across so you end up with a short-walled, wide doughnut. Put a small amount of water in the hollow center area, and put your bat on top of the wall. Be sure to get it as close to centered as you can---if it's not, you can still center the clay on top of it, but it's distracting to have the bat not centered while you're throwing.

Wet and press down on the center of the bat and move your hands out to the edge. A vacuum should form under the middle of the bat where the water is, and it'll stay put if you did it right. You'll need to pry it off when you're ready to switch bats---I use a "church key" beer can opener, or an old fork if I need more leverage (tines under the bat).

You should be able to use your "doughnut" several times, but whenever you take a bat off you need to check the level and make sure it's still properly centered before putting the next bat on. If necessary, you can re-throw it and get it back on center.

Hope that helps, rather than confuses!!!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9232015

I have a CLAY BOSS and it does have the pin holes. I just can't find them! But I have orered several sets and they will arrive from Clay King this week!

Deb
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9232989

I use stainless-steel 1/4-20 socket-headed cap screws that are readily available. I tighten them with an Allen wrench that fits in the opening on top of the screw. For the underside I use wing nuts.
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9233067

ok so the cap headed screws fit down thru the wheel head and the bat is on top of the screw hwaD and the wing nut is tightened from ynder the wheel head?

Deb
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9233163

Yep...under the wheel head! You got it!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9233338

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTeBhbSdDhE&feature=fvwrel

PHEW ! Got it!

check out this video! I have just started using her method! It's great!

deb
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9233406

The video didn't work for me :-( But glad you got it!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9233413

Let me see if I can get it for you.
Deb
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9233414

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTeBhbSdDhE&feature=fvwrel
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9233435

Thanks Deb... I've actually made those many times before. You can also do that with Chinette plates and platters. I used small chinette platters to make a set of oval plates that we use whenever we have fajitas (I glazed them all different colors :-)) .

You can also stamp patterns on the slab either before or after its dropped or add handles or feet!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9233437

whoooohoooooooo!!!! another door has opened!

deb
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9233456

Here are some items I've made using the drop method...First one is 3 small trinket platters with handles that I made using a small ( 4 x 6 inches) frame with a holiday theme. Second are the 'Fiesta' plates I made using chinette platters. Third didn't really use the drop method but those are also fun to make ...see instructions below. Fourth is a goat wall hanging I made for the hub using an 8 x 10 frame.

Ok.. those little square/round items can be used as hoursedorve (sp?) plates, trinket holders, whatever. To make them I first make a square or circle slab (I use a tile to cut the shape but any square/circular object will do), then I stamp or imprint the slab and smooth the edges. Next place slab over an upside down bowl (make sure it's not one with a defined foot, the rounder/smothere the better, I have some old correl (sp?) ones that I use) then add feet (I find three small circles or squares work best). Press a tile on top to make sure that the feet are 'flat' then let it dry! Fire, glaze, fire :-)

Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9234586

Me AGain!
HELP! AGAIN.
OK I got the new 14" bat with Bat Pins.Now we know that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer...The bats have little bumps on the edge.. one has tree bumps and and there are also 1 bump. The pins are not fitting intot he holes on the underside of the bats AM I nuts or what?
Deb
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9234733

Are they like the speedball bats on this page? http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Supplies/bats/Bats.htm

If so these are the molded plastic bats with the holes that do not go all the way thru; but they are there. If you look at the bottom of the batt you will see two sets of "holes" molded into the bottom the pins should fit into one of the sets. The little bumps are on the edge line up with the holes that work with 'standard' wheel fittings -- most bats use these. Some smaller wheels will use the other set of holes.

Now, assuming this is the type of bat you have, one of the 'holes' will be more oval in shape, when you put the bat on line up the 'round' hole with one bat pin then bring it down to meet the other pin, matching the oval to the round pin gives you some wiggle room to get the match right.

Good luck!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9234762

YUP... those arte the bats I have.

I'll keep trying.. The Oval hole on the bat does not fit as well as the round hole.

Deb

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America