Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Perennials: Crape myrtle cuttings now?

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 4, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

August 5, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9230169

So if I take cuttings and plant in pots, hill them in where it's dappled shade, mulch the sides, keep them moist -- can I do that now?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9232331

I did it in November 2011. You can get many cuttings from just one stem. Put them in a pot of soil-less mix. Bring them inside for winter and you'll be certain you're looking at dead sticks all winter but come spring they'll come to life. Keep them lightly watered.

Here's a fuzzy (sorry) photo taken Feb. 18th to show you what I mean by dead looking sticks coming to life.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

etnredclay
Spring City, TN

August 6, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9232516

Excellent, or as I saw on another forum -- KQQL... lololol
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9235278

thank you Pirl, I was thinking about doing that with Crape M. my friend has the very dark pink colored ones, but I tought I have to wait till Spring. The CM is one of the reasons I moved to the south, in 1984 on the way to Disney we stopped at Valdosta, Ga, and it was full of blooming Crape M. I tought it was a most beutifull thing. four months latter we moved to Valdosta, and the rest is history. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9235318

It's worth trying, Etelka. I'm happy it worked. Next I will try some cuttings of Powhatan that my son-in-law gave me. I love the fall color.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America