Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Crape myrtle cuttings now?

Spring City, TN

So if I take cuttings and plant in pots, hill them in where it's dappled shade, mulch the sides, keep them moist -- can I do that now?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I did it in November 2011. You can get many cuttings from just one stem. Put them in a pot of soil-less mix. Bring them inside for winter and you'll be certain you're looking at dead sticks all winter but come spring they'll come to life. Keep them lightly watered.

Here's a fuzzy (sorry) photo taken Feb. 18th to show you what I mean by dead looking sticks coming to life.

Thumbnail by pirl
Spring City, TN

Excellent, or as I saw on another forum -- KQQL... lololol

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

thank you Pirl, I was thinking about doing that with Crape M. my friend has the very dark pink colored ones, but I tought I have to wait till Spring. The CM is one of the reasons I moved to the south, in 1984 on the way to Disney we stopped at Valdosta, Ga, and it was full of blooming Crape M. I tought it was a most beutifull thing. four months latter we moved to Valdosta, and the rest is history. Etelka

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It's worth trying, Etelka. I'm happy it worked. Next I will try some cuttings of Powhatan that my son-in-law gave me. I love the fall color.

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.