Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
poker700
Milton, MA

August 5, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9230688

grass on slope not accepting water due to clay based soil sod when planted, water just runs off and weeds are grwing in dead areas. want to replace area 6ft by 50 ft. when dug up do i replace with soil then seed or resod with different base please advise thank you lawn in r.i.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2012 5:05 PM

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9234426

Did you just want to replace with grass again? Or are you looking to revamp the whole thing with plants/flowers/shrubs, etc?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 9, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9235853

Iis difficult to care for a new flat lawn area at this time of year due to the hot waether so it is not surprising the grass / turf on the slope has given poor new root growth, you dont say the gradient of the slope but even IF it does not rise sharply, any plants that are set out on a slope at the hight of summer will find it hard to get hold of enought water by fact that dry soil has a crust on the top making the water run off fast.
For turf /sod to be able to take hold at the roots, the soil needs to be firm under but raked to a fine tilth just about half inch of the top, this is to help the CUT roots to bed into a softer area that will hold some moisture is what is required.

For me, the best choise to grass a slope would be to do it with seed (lawn seed of your choice) this way you can see the grass begin to shoot, you can control the watering needed for a new grass developement and also you can wait till the end of summer Around end September / early october when the heat of the summer has almost gone but the soil will still be warm enough.
Do remeber IF you have to feed the top soil before you spread the grass seed, never add more feed to a new lawn, it doues not need anything but water for the first 2-3 months IF at all till early next spring, dont be tempted to use greenup's lawn boost's weed killers etc untill the lawn has had time to toughen up it's greenery, weeding can be dealt with next spring when the grass has hardened over winter, any bare patches can be reseeds and treated in the same way if required next year, sewing seed is much less expensive than doing turf / sod for very little care if done at the right time, here in UK we never do new lawns either seed or turf after April or before end of summer, the soil is too warm and watering is too much work AND not always able to be taken down to the roots.
Best of luck WeeNel.
poker700
Milton, MA

October 9, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9300825

[quote="flowAjen"]Did you just want to replace with grass again? Or are you looking to revamp the whole thing with plants/flowers/shrubs, etc?[/quote]

sorry about late response, grass again, will reseed Oct 15th, any advice on preparation? thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America