Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

August 5, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9230903

In the spring if I use pre-emergent to cut down on the weed population in my flower beds, that will stop echinacea and black eyed susan etc seeds from germinating as well, right?

So what if I didn't use it until I figured all the perennial flower seeds that were going to had already germinated, and THEN use it to help control weeds????
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9230919

You're right, it'll prevent any seeds from germinating not just the weeds. So once your seeds have germinated then you're fine using the pre-emergent. Only catch is, a lot of the weed seeds will probably germinate around the same time as the seeds you're trying to grow before you've been able to use the pre-emergent, so its effectiveness may be limited. But if you tend to get a lot of weed seeds sprouting later in the season then it can still help control the later ones.
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

August 5, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9230955

Thanks, that's what I thought. I get a new crop of weeds with every rain.

Now if I could only find a simple solution for viney weeds...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9231440

I asked the same question once etnredclay...the response..."apply concrete liberally throughout the garden"...not much help, but point taken...grin
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

August 6, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9232542

Well, Moonhowl, that's exactly my response to dogs digging holes in the yard -- concrete. Eventually you will have a really big PATIO. LOLOLOLOL.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9232922

LOL...but it did bring to mind the old song "They paved Paradise to put in a parking lot".
MiniPonyFarmer
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2012
2:47 AM

Post #9240855

I used PREEN heavily every 2 to 3 months this spring primarily because last year's drought brought in a whole lot of weeds during times we had lots and lots of daily wind. I found that it is not 100% effective, and I believe that it can only removed probably 85-90 % of the sprouting weeds at beds. My coneflowers and many other seeded perennials and annuuals DID make seedlings which I transplanted to new locations. I still had to pull weeds regularly, but less than it would have been without PREEN.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America