Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tomatoes: Messenger

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 5, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2012
1:06 AM

Post #9231098

So, 8 years ago, I bought some "Messenger" and used it on my tomatoes and got a bumper crop and I mean WOW! I wasn't able to garden tomatoes since then, until this last year, and had 2 more packets left. So I used another packet and WOW! I have another bumper crop, even though we had a slow start of a summer, and all my neighbor's have very few on their small plants... So I know this stuff works! I just looked it up, and Messenger had been bought out, and you can now get the product this way (have to share) http://www.gardeningthings.com/organic-natural-fertilizers-biostimulants-c-67/employ-reg-plant-health-promoter-2oz-package-p-183. The only other things I do, is use wall of waters and get my plants in earlier than normal, apply a one time small amount of Lily Miller fertilizer, and also spray with Neem (have only had to do it once this year).

I just wanted to share this information with you, because it's worthy of sharing. It's not bragging, it's sharing, because I want all of you to have great results as well! Oh yeah! Full sun, and clip and dispose of dead leaves... common sense, right?
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9235793

Hi Karrie, what is "Messenger?" sounds amazing!
Sharon
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 9, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9235855

Not Karrie, but here you go.

Messenger was discovered quite a few years ago by someone at Cornell, the active ingrediant is called harpin protein, and since Cornell is my alma mater I followed feedback through the years.

Bioscience was first set up to sell the product but as noted above they sold out and now many different sites sell messenger.

Some feedback I see is positive, some not so positive and it only can be judged if one treats the same variety with and without Harpin in the same season,

Here's a general Google search that you can use to check out some of the links. Look for personal feedback, not the places that are selling it. LOL

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&q=messenger+harpin+protein&oq=messenger%2Fharpin&gs_l=hp.1.3.0i30l2j0i33l2.0.0.2.1265.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1c.aPuyJhyxOpA&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=6dce839987f9b9ba&biw=757&bih=403

Carolyn, who notes that there have been many newer products since Messenger was released that I see folks at other message sites using. Don't ask b'c I can't remember them all but one I know is called Excel and another one azo something or other. LOL. I don't use any of those products on my tomatoes just b'c I don't think I need to.

Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9235874

If you click the link that I offered above, Messenger's name was changed to "Employ" when it was sold, and now rather than coming in little packets, it comes in one container that you use 1/4 a tsp per gallon, so it is actually cheaper now, than when it was Messenger. I truly like it and have used it on my tomatoes and my peppers twice now, over the years, and when I use it, I get a bumper crop. I spray in the morning and when it is shady. I also use Neem on all of my garden plants, and get good results against insects and fungus with that - which reminds me, I should probably do that in the morning, as it's been awhile.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 9, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9236254

Karrie, I did read your link and I said above that harpin was being sold with different names at different sites, and not as Employ which is what it's being sold as at the link you provided, and here's one example, note the date is 2012 since many of the Messenger links via Google are from years ago.

http://www.rxgreensolutions.com/products-catalog/axiom-harpin-protein/

Hey, if it works for you that's really all that matters. ( smile)

Carolyn

Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9253551

Well, all I know is that I've tried it, and I really like it!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America