Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
100miler
Huntsville, TX

August 6, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9231570

I live in Huntsville, TX. Several months ago I planted Italian pole beans. They came up great, and grew like gangbusters up my hog panel wire trellis (in full sun). But then they started losing all their leaves from the bottom up, with the leaves turning yellow and then falling off. Yet, they continue producing new growth at the top. I fertilized them once 6-8 weeks ago, when the leaf drop started, but it didn't help. I've seen some flowers, and have gotten maybe 4 or 5 beans (sad, I know!). The "nakedness" now extends up to about 7 feet, and there are just a few tufts of new growth at the top. They look truly pathetic, and I am thinking about tearing them out (mercy killing LOL). It's probably too late for this year, but I'd love it if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong, so that I can succeed next year.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9231639

Don't know about Huntsville, but here in Georgia July and August are just too hot for most P. vulgaris.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America