Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Voting Booth: How is the weather treating you?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 25, Views: 286
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin

(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9231635

There are a total of 121 votes:

Hot and dry...it isn't treating me very well at all!
(64 votes, 52%)
Red dot

Hot and wet...we're in a steambath!
(31 votes, 25%)
Red dot

Cool and damp.
(3 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Cool and dry.
(2 votes, 1%)
Red dot

My weather is constantly changing. It can't seem to make up it's mind.
(17 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Other. (tell us!)
(4 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9231661

I'm first??? Wow!

We got 2/10 of an inch of rain in July. It did rain the other day, thank the Lord. Maybe we'll make it. My water bill doubled because I've been watering the garden. Getting purple hull peas, bush lima beans, running lima beans, some purple pod Louisiana beans, Armenian cucumber...the longest one I measured at 28", lotsa okra, and tomatoes, but not very much of any of it.

But I have to say, it's been a droughtful summer.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 6, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9231701

Weird weather here, starting last summer.
Last late summer very little rain. So dry & hard farmers were breaking tillage equipment.
Then winter with very little snow, although we had some nice rains, not in MN, you say!
Spring was dry & field work & planting started early.
Then rain came in buckets, 5.3" May 4-6.
More rain, May 23- 4'3", May 26 & 27 2.4", May 31 6/10", June 10 8/10".
Looked like a good summer, but next decent rain was Friday night, 1.1".
That's 53 days of no rain & temp was in 90's almost everyday.
Thank goodness for our well. We were able to irrigate.
Non irrigated crops look good also, but we don't know why.
When we moved here in 1982, old timers said this is "God's Country". I believe they are right.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9231827

Still waiting for summer here. So far, spring has graded gradually into autumn, cool to cold, and VERY wet. Two more flooding episodes yesterday and again today. June had over 3 times the normal average, July twice, and August is carrying on in the same vein.

Yukk.

Resin

School sports field again yesterday . . .

Thumbnail by Resin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9232057

I don't like summer at all! I just like spring, fall and winter time when it good mood in me!
Very drought around here...
McCool
Millbury, MA
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9232150

Voted "hot and wet", thinking about the horrid humidity, but really, we've been experiencing drought conditions around here despite the water content of the air!
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9232192

Other. We have fortunately been in the yellow or green sliver of the US weather map most of the summer. My favorite summer temp is mid-70s. When we get into the low 80s I melt, although we do have a small boat and can find instant relief by getting out on Puget Sound. I have sympathy for those of you in drought conditions and/or extremely high heat. I like the temperate NW, even with all our rain.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9232289

August in N. AL is usually humid, but we have had some hot and dry weather. Luciee (;^)
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2012
2:50 AM

Post #9232613

Well, it's going on 5 a.m. here and the backyard thermometer reads 88°. Dallas Love Field airport concurs—with a heat index of 90°... At least there's a 20% chance of rain for the next 3 days.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9232764

We've had an extremely hot, dry summer. I'ts been hard keeping the vegetable garden alive. I plan to make the raised beds deeper for next year so they can hold more moisture.

Of course, I know what will happen if I add more clay to the raised beds - we'll have a horrible wet summer and the vegetable plants will drown!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9233367

not a bad summer at all here. can't believe i'm saying that. we've had rain and cooler temps than normal. just the past two weeks have felt like a central florida summer so i'm not complaining.
i feel sorry for the midwest with their drought and fires.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9233376

The weather here is perfect ... as the saying goes, "another day in Paradise, with no end in sight ..." The weather people tell us it's going to heat up a little later this week (80s maybe) ... but then, there are always earthquakes to worry about ...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9233876

Hot & humid this summer. Wishing I had gills so I could breath when outdoors.

Last summer we had an unbelievable stretch of 100 degree temps but it was dry. Not so this summer.

Oh well, hang around a little while and it will change.

Still too dry here but nothing like last summer. Sympathy goes out to those in drought, fire, flood, and yes even earthquakes. Kristi

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9234009

hot and dry, and to top it off the air conditioner kicked the bucket
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9234033

Day 3 of what is looking to be a week long excessive heat watch, with temps in excess of 110; got to 112 officially yesterday, but 114 at my house. 1.33" of rain in July, which is the middle of our monsoon season when were are supposed to get over 1/2 our annual rainfall of 8.5".

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9234222

It's hot.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9234296

Yep, everything is wilted and turning brown... hope for rain tomorrow.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9235122

Craziest weather I've ever seen
hot and dry then cold, hot again, then downpours, now it's so incredibly humid more rain on the way
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9235404

We're in the worst drought ever. Our dogwoods and some oaks are dieing. I'm watering my container plants and my fig tree. Everything is so dry we're under burn bans. So far our county seems to be in the worse shape in Arkansas.
Our weather man said we'd need 15" of rain to catch up.
Vickie

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9236867

So many months of all about the same,it has rained for three days here after cooking everything dry for months,IT is greening again but some things won't recover. All I can say is I am glad the weather has changed here,prayer and hope that it may for some of you that need it to do the same.What a summer EH!?
SoooSirius
Municipality of Murr, PA

August 10, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9236961

After a warm winter, spring started out hot and moist, then a really hot and dry spell when even large trees started to droop and big cracks appeared in our rocky/clay soil. I watered so as to not lose my rhododendrons and azaleas which had bloomed so nicely in May. Everything grew quickly and then burned in the sunny heat. Then storms with hail started coming pretty much every day or every other day, making it wet again and miserably hot and humid. My yard erupted in mushrooms, and I anticipate that my tomatoes will get late blight from the morning fogs that we're getting. Pollen was way up and now the mold spores are very high. Conclusion: It's miserable and I stay in as much as possible. I am NOT a summer person.
davidsl88
Worcester, MA

August 10, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9237086

The mild winter (so little precip) and rainless spring did a job on so many of my plants and by the time I noticed I should have started watering the flower beds in March (MARCH!!) all the buds on my wisteria had withered and died. Last summer's garden 'death watch' continues... we have been sweltering in the high humidity and heat. I water, but most of the time just can't bear to be out in it. I want to throttle the Boston weather reporter who tells me it's 'only' 85 here (at the airport!) when I'm looking at the thermometer on my deck that reads 95...
rampbrat
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9239079

Not as bad as last summer, but that's not saying a lot. Ended last year 8 inches behind. We actually had some decent rain late winter, but the drought is back and we're 3 inches behind for this year. Cooled down to the mid 90's last week, but the 100's are back. Really looking forward to Sept. From a teacher that's saying a lot!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

August 12, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9239322

Started out nice, then rained constantly. Now it seems to have decided to be a decent 65-70F with rain every so many days. Would love it to last for another month but very unlikely. I still have lots of lilies and dahlias that need to bloom. No complaints though considering what you guys down south are going through. I wouldn't survive in those temps with heat and/or humidity.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2012
11:19 PM

Post #9239615

The good news is that I didn't have to weed the garden this summer. The bad news is that the weather has been so exceptionally hot and dry that even weeds can't survive.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9239676

Ahhh... but they'll be back with a vengance.
Sorry but we saw that after last years drought.

Worked that way with the bugs too. Kristi

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America