How is the weather treating you?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 121 votes:

Hot and dry...it isn't treating me very well at all!
(64 votes, 52%)
Red dot

Hot and wet...we're in a steambath!
(31 votes, 25%)
Red dot

Cool and damp.
(3 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Cool and dry.
(2 votes, 1%)
Red dot

My weather is constantly changing. It can't seem to make up it's mind.
(17 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Other. (tell us!)
(4 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I'm first??? Wow!

We got 2/10 of an inch of rain in July. It did rain the other day, thank the Lord. Maybe we'll make it. My water bill doubled because I've been watering the garden. Getting purple hull peas, bush lima beans, running lima beans, some purple pod Louisiana beans, Armenian cucumber...the longest one I measured at 28", lotsa okra, and tomatoes, but not very much of any of it.

But I have to say, it's been a droughtful summer.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Weird weather here, starting last summer.
Last late summer very little rain. So dry & hard farmers were breaking tillage equipment.
Then winter with very little snow, although we had some nice rains, not in MN, you say!
Spring was dry & field work & planting started early.
Then rain came in buckets, 5.3" May 4-6.
More rain, May 23- 4'3", May 26 & 27 2.4", May 31 6/10", June 10 8/10".
Looked like a good summer, but next decent rain was Friday night, 1.1".
That's 53 days of no rain & temp was in 90's almost everyday.
Thank goodness for our well. We were able to irrigate.
Non irrigated crops look good also, but we don't know why.
When we moved here in 1982, old timers said this is "God's Country". I believe they are right.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Still waiting for summer here. So far, spring has graded gradually into autumn, cool to cold, and VERY wet. Two more flooding episodes yesterday and again today. June had over 3 times the normal average, July twice, and August is carrying on in the same vein.

Yukk.

Resin

School sports field again yesterday . . .

Thumbnail by Resin
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I don't like summer at all! I just like spring, fall and winter time when it good mood in me!
Very drought around here...

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

Voted "hot and wet", thinking about the horrid humidity, but really, we've been experiencing drought conditions around here despite the water content of the air!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Other. We have fortunately been in the yellow or green sliver of the US weather map most of the summer. My favorite summer temp is mid-70s. When we get into the low 80s I melt, although we do have a small boat and can find instant relief by getting out on Puget Sound. I have sympathy for those of you in drought conditions and/or extremely high heat. I like the temperate NW, even with all our rain.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

August in N. AL is usually humid, but we have had some hot and dry weather. Luciee (;^)

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, it's going on 5 a.m. here and the backyard thermometer reads 88°. Dallas Love Field airport concurs—with a heat index of 90°... At least there's a 20% chance of rain for the next 3 days.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

We've had an extremely hot, dry summer. I'ts been hard keeping the vegetable garden alive. I plan to make the raised beds deeper for next year so they can hold more moisture.

Of course, I know what will happen if I add more clay to the raised beds - we'll have a horrible wet summer and the vegetable plants will drown!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

not a bad summer at all here. can't believe i'm saying that. we've had rain and cooler temps than normal. just the past two weeks have felt like a central florida summer so i'm not complaining.
i feel sorry for the midwest with their drought and fires.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

The weather here is perfect ... as the saying goes, "another day in Paradise, with no end in sight ..." The weather people tell us it's going to heat up a little later this week (80s maybe) ... but then, there are always earthquakes to worry about ...

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hot & humid this summer. Wishing I had gills so I could breath when outdoors.

Last summer we had an unbelievable stretch of 100 degree temps but it was dry. Not so this summer.

Oh well, hang around a little while and it will change.

Still too dry here but nothing like last summer. Sympathy goes out to those in drought, fire, flood, and yes even earthquakes. Kristi

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

hot and dry, and to top it off the air conditioner kicked the bucket

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Day 3 of what is looking to be a week long excessive heat watch, with temps in excess of 110; got to 112 officially yesterday, but 114 at my house. 1.33" of rain in July, which is the middle of our monsoon season when were are supposed to get over 1/2 our annual rainfall of 8.5".

(Zone 7a)

It's hot.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Yep, everything is wilted and turning brown... hope for rain tomorrow.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Craziest weather I've ever seen
hot and dry then cold, hot again, then downpours, now it's so incredibly humid more rain on the way

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

We're in the worst drought ever. Our dogwoods and some oaks are dieing. I'm watering my container plants and my fig tree. Everything is so dry we're under burn bans. So far our county seems to be in the worse shape in Arkansas.
Our weather man said we'd need 15" of rain to catch up.
Vickie

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

So many months of all about the same,it has rained for three days here after cooking everything dry for months,IT is greening again but some things won't recover. All I can say is I am glad the weather has changed here,prayer and hope that it may for some of you that need it to do the same.What a summer EH!?

Municipality of Murr, PA

After a warm winter, spring started out hot and moist, then a really hot and dry spell when even large trees started to droop and big cracks appeared in our rocky/clay soil. I watered so as to not lose my rhododendrons and azaleas which had bloomed so nicely in May. Everything grew quickly and then burned in the sunny heat. Then storms with hail started coming pretty much every day or every other day, making it wet again and miserably hot and humid. My yard erupted in mushrooms, and I anticipate that my tomatoes will get late blight from the morning fogs that we're getting. Pollen was way up and now the mold spores are very high. Conclusion: It's miserable and I stay in as much as possible. I am NOT a summer person.

Worcester, MA

The mild winter (so little precip) and rainless spring did a job on so many of my plants and by the time I noticed I should have started watering the flower beds in March (MARCH!!) all the buds on my wisteria had withered and died. Last summer's garden 'death watch' continues... we have been sweltering in the high humidity and heat. I water, but most of the time just can't bear to be out in it. I want to throttle the Boston weather reporter who tells me it's 'only' 85 here (at the airport!) when I'm looking at the thermometer on my deck that reads 95...

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Not as bad as last summer, but that's not saying a lot. Ended last year 8 inches behind. We actually had some decent rain late winter, but the drought is back and we're 3 inches behind for this year. Cooled down to the mid 90's last week, but the 100's are back. Really looking forward to Sept. From a teacher that's saying a lot!

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Started out nice, then rained constantly. Now it seems to have decided to be a decent 65-70F with rain every so many days. Would love it to last for another month but very unlikely. I still have lots of lilies and dahlias that need to bloom. No complaints though considering what you guys down south are going through. I wouldn't survive in those temps with heat and/or humidity.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

The good news is that I didn't have to weed the garden this summer. The bad news is that the weather has been so exceptionally hot and dry that even weeds can't survive.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Ahhh... but they'll be back with a vengance.
Sorry but we saw that after last years drought.

Worked that way with the bugs too. Kristi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.