Background check

Orange, CA

An old tenant is moving out a new one moving in. These days I think a background check is necessay. Any suggestions around here? Thanks.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

We have a couple of rental properties, and fortunately have had good long-term tenants. If we had a change today, I certainly would run one in today's times given the situation with meth houses, sexual predators, etc that can cause all manner of headache on the owner's end if there is a problem. For example, a meth lab virtually contaminates the house such that it is inhabitable due to the carcinogens produced that is absorbed into the drywall. Even if I had to pay a fee to someone for a rudimentary check, I would think it would be worth it.

Just my $.02.

Virginia Beach, VA

We have a couple of rentals and few years ago i had problems with tenants. Luckily the present ones had been with us for years with out problem.

I would require a credit check, check with the most recent land lord, a copy of payroll stubs and also i require an amount to hold the place.

Good luck.
Belle

Orange, CA

Thank you Play and Belli. We live in So Cal and have had good tenants until now. I have grown suspicious of a particular tenant and would like a Background check on him. We checked him out but not as deeply as we should have. Maybe "womans intuition--"which DH does not have. - so suspiciouns might be groundless---still????

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

we have rental property and run credit & back ground. Unfortunately, back ground doesnt always reveal "crazy" :/
Out last tenant was given the nick name "toys in the attic" for many reasons.
I use NAIL.com - National Assoc for Independent Landlords for both services.

Orange, CA

Thank you Minnie. . Here in SOCal we have a lot of 'toys in the attic" including the state legisllaters and Gov. Moonbeam. LOL

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

LOL, snowtop. Yep, we've had our share of some 'Looney Tunes' as I call them too. Not just in the state.... And I hear you on the women's intuition. I have radar when it comes to that where DH is much more trusting. I pride myself on my first judgment of people and 99% of the time I am right on.

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

Snowtop, is it against the law to do a periodic background check on a tenant in CA?. If not, if you are suspicious for some reason, even if it is a bit costly, every 3-6 months would help ease your mind a little. Though the ones who have issues could change for the "bad" in a split second. One thought is that if credit is constantly checked by the credit card companies and if you are late for just one payment or bounced a check, all of your other creditors could lower your credit limit if they want. Why not a homeowner?. You would want to really know what kind of tenant will live in your home from their previous landlord, employment history and if there were problems with the law enforcement authorities etc. Since they are there already, maybe you would not want to renew their rental agreement or lease if there is one. On your agreement, do you have a 6 month or yearly inspection of the apartment looking for leaks and things that might need repair to keep the tenants apartment liveable?. That would give you a reason to inspect for bugs and filth and see if they are someone that you want to continue to live near. It may seem a bit invasive, but I would not want someone who would make me have questions in my head or fear.
I came across a website connected with our community board (I think I looked at it because I had minor children coming to visit) many many years ago in the area where I live, for new tenants moving into the neighborhood so they could check the crime rate, burglaries, pedophiles name and last known address living near schools and apartment building violations that were on the court docket between landlord and tenants. Maybe you have that sort of system that you can check. If your tenant used his/her real name and info, it may be easy to look up information in their former area using the old address too.
I hope this helps.

Ivy

Orange, CA

Thank you friends--The trouble is (big trouble) I have grown suspicious but DH has COMPLETE faith in tenant. Up until recently I too thought well of him but have found out he lied to me and I never trust anyone who lies. It is a complicated mess .

The trouble came about over trees. The tenant (without my knowledge) chopped down several trees (including a fig tree). I did a "pop in " call in when I noticed a missing spot in a fence through whick I could see trees missing .(fruit trees).. Tenant kept telling me there were no threes there. I could see four or five holes (probably 10" diameter) which looked like they used either a stump grinder or auger. I , who am normally quiet with a a "whatever" attitude, had a hysterical fit. I never call names and I do not use coarse language - but he said " no , no trees there" and I kept saying BS.

I left the property and drove home which took at most three minutes. When I got in the house tenant was on the phone telling DH I called him an AH and embarressed him in front of his friends.

I ask you - am I wrong in calling this man a woose? And he lies. Since this incident I have lost sleep, lost weight and am so angry I should go to confession (have not been to confession for years). I have CFH and when I arrived home pulse was up to 156.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Virginia Beach, VA

Oh my!! It is a mess!! ?What kind of lease are you using? i have a 3 page lease and has several addendum and before they sign I give them a copy to review and again read them before signing. I handle the rentals.

Getting rid of trees is a big thing and I would be upset to especially the fruit trees

When is the lease over?

Good luck to you.

Belle

Orange, CA

DH has been handling the rentals. The tenant has been there for several years and has been "a handyman" which worked out fine until now. The property was bought with funds from my Father's estate, therefore it was in my name. For tax reasons I quitclaimed it to our revovalbe trust. I am so angry with myself for being so stupid. I have always been a trusting soul but now I don't trust anyone.

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

Please don't be so hard on yourself. Things happen and we learn from our mistakes. These days we have to take more precautions that is why your "woman's intuition" kicked in. Once a liar, always a liar. Hoping things will get better soon and your health does not suffer because of this matter.

Ivy

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

do you have pictures of the property to prove to the tenant you have him in a lie? (And to your DH if that is an issue?)
There may even be one on google maps! punch in the address and check it out. There is even a possibility the satellite got him in the act - wouldn't that be something!
Good luck to you. I know how much of a hassle renters can be. The neighbor behind me asked me yesterday if I did a back ground on our current tenants. I asked him why. He said "Mr." came over a chewed him a new one - swearing up a storm - about the dogs barking. 1) first time they had ever met 2) the barking is mostly from my dogs 3) inappropriate language and confrontation 4) "Mr." is having marital issues and don't take it out on the neighbor or your kids. (The guy is an AH!) I apologized to my neighbor for having to experience "Mr." and shared with him the story of their 2nd night in the house. My DH & I had JUST gotten home from baseball practice with our kids and "Mr." comes over (drunk) throwing the F-bomb and just LIVID because it is hotter than hell in the house because there is a leak in the dryer somewhere. Screaming about gas leaking into the house and its not safe. 1) stop using the dryer if there is a problem 2) CALL us, dont wait until we get home 3 hours later 3) open up the house and let fresh air in 4) DONT come at me and my family, swearing, drunk and an AH 4) gas leak?? ITS ELECTRIC!! LOL!! The vent came off the back so it was warming up the laundry room. But "Mr." didn't have enough sense to look, realize it was electric, or even stop drying clothes until it could be figured out.
Oh the stories you get from renters...I should write a book.
But I do recommend checking out google maps - see what you can see. Good luck to you.
Unfortunately I would think that you cannot do anything legally about him being a liar. But depending on your lease, there may be verbiage in there about destruction of property.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

snowtop-
you can check court records yourself on this site:
https://ocapps.occourts.org/Vision_Public/Index.do

there are lots of ways to check criminal records online. would be glad to help you. also, in my opinion lying about destroying trees is so major that person would be out of there. who knows what else he may have done.
kc

Orange, CA

Thank you so much KC--- I think I am stuck --. I (dumb trusting me -) quitclaimed the property to our revovocable trust!

Unfortunately DH ( of 50 + years) trusts this tenant completely. I have found pics on google and Zillow maps (birds Eye and Street view) showing to me what looks like trees. DH assumed I wasn't that interested in property - I could go on - but I'm tired of the mess and I know DH has my interest at heart and this is (and probably will remain) and unresolved disagreement.

It looks like property owners have next to little rights in in beloved homeland state OF California.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

might be time to revoke the trust and take your property back, if possible.

Virginia Beach, VA

there is a long procedure to evict tenants and you have to have good reasons to do it. i feel like they have more rights than the owner. I had been to court few times and it is time consuming.

Luckily I now have good tenants.

just wait till the lease expires but give them 90 days that you are not renewing their lease.

Good luck to you.

Belle

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

i actually meant revoke the trust so that she once again owned the property by herself. In calif violation of the terms of a lease and destruction of property are grounds for eviction as long as it is written in as part of the lease, i believe.
kc

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images