Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Le Domaine du café grillé, an unexpected oasis in a harsh place.: Wonderful stuff

Communities > Forums > Article: Le Domaine du café grillé, an unexpected oasis in a harsh place.
bookmark
Forum: Article: Le Domaine du café grillé, an unexpected oasis in a harsh place.Replies: 1, Views: 3
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9231836

Hi JJ:

Another great article. However you have again made the terrible mistake of mentioning food with no translations or recipes!!! Not even Babelfish or Bing will give me a translation for "carri ti jaque or a rougail saucisse".

I love to see flowers, fruits and trees from other places, and love to find out which of them can be used for food too. I like a combination in my garden, ornamentals and 'useful' plants, and if I find some that are both, I'm in Heaven.

I have always wanted to go to Madagascar for the wildlife and music, and now seeing all these amazing articles you write, I'm thinking of making an "island tour" on my next trip to Africa. Start in Kenya, maybe, for a base, then see Reunion, Lamu, Zanzibar, Madagascar and ??

I usually travel in September and October, but maybe wouldn't see too much in bloom then, as I believe all of where I want to go is in the southern hemishere. Should I change and go maybe April/May? Or - when would you suggest? A season with lots of ripe fruits and flowers would be perfect.

Thank you so much for broadening our horizons with your tales of the fascinating life you live.
~m

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

August 7, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9232952

Hi M...
No way to translate 'carri ti jaque', or even to explain about it, you have to come to Reunion and order it in a local restaurant, Babelfish could give you any relevant idea of the taste and texture of the dish...
Both ornamental and edible? Nasturtium is a good choice, great in gardens and good in salads, very rich in C.vitamins.
You can fly directly from Antananarivo to Reunion island, probably from Kenya to Madagascar. September/October is fine as the weather gets warmer (august is winter here, an unbearable 20°C!) but you don't get the heavy rains and cyclones which start in November and go to March. We get flowers and fruits all year round (yes, lucky folks, aren't we?) but full mango and litchi season is only December-January.
You are more than welcome.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Le Domaine du café grillé, an unexpected oasis in a harsh place. Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beautiful Playground! luv2wok 1 Aug 7, 2012 8:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America