SOLVED: what is it?

sorrento, BC(Zone 5b)

I don't have a picture of this sun loving, poor soil tolerant ground cover in zone 5. It looks like kinnikinnick (bearberry) on steroids because the horizontal stems have some red, but the flower is a 1 1/2" high pale pink cone shaped head. The leaves are spoon shaped like kinnikinnick but 2-3" long each. I got it at a plant sale with no tag or info. The whole plant is maybe 8" high at most and looks like it will spread nicely. Any ideas??

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'm no PNWer (but growin is), but it sounds like a Delospermum - which I thought was a weed out your way.

San Francisco, CA

Delospermas aren't weedy here in the West; Carpobrotus are...

This message was edited Aug 7, 2012 9:59 AM

I'll give you the daisy-like flower, alright - but I thought that species was running rampant along beach/dune environments. Maybe that's not weedy to those who like that.

OK - with still no images to work with, maybe this is something of the Polygonum/Persicaria persuasion?

That's the one - is it a rename, or have I known it by the wrong name all along?

Must've seen a bad plant label or interpretive plaque somewhere...

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They were at one point in Mesambryanthemum, but as far as I know they've never been Delosperma. So probably a bad label somewhere along the line!

Easy for you to say...

I'm pretty sure I first saw this along the coast in CA (likely in 1997, going up to Point Reyes). Who'd a thunk they'd get the name wrong.

I see that the common name Ice Plant is shared by some species in each genus - maybe the label maker wasn't clued it to the proper identity.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

I didn't see this ID until now. I'd suspect it more of a Sedum like Sedum spurium. A picture would certainly help. I'm trying to figure out what looks like a super-sized Kinnikinnik for zone 5b.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.