Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: Squash bugs

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 16, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tbcm14
Ballston Spa, NY

August 6, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9232434

We have a terrible problem with squash borers, how do I control them? They totally destroy my plants every year. Can I treat the soil?
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9233265

I would really like to know too! They are little and white right? and they lay reddish egg clusters on the bottom side of the leave right? I caught them on the zucchini and treated, but they just moved to the pumpkin patch, and I gave up on the pumpkins except I POURED a whole bag of seven dust on the whole patch (nothing edible) and hopefully they won't start feasting on my butternuts!!!!!

I will let you know how that turns out...
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9234602

well they are still there! I am gonna pull all squash and burn it!!!!!! I'm seriously considering tilling in seven dust although I hate to resort to such extremes. I read that if you have them now, you will always have them... just great!
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9235291

I'm told that if you can fence in your garden and put in a few guinea hens that they will do a terrific job of eating the bugs, and they do not harm the produce.
I haven't tried it myself to confirm but someday I hope to give it a whirl.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2012 6:48 AM
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9237936

apparently they also like tomatoes!!!! With all my cucumbers, pumpkins, zucchini and butternut pulled and burned they have moved onto tomatoes! I will not plant any squash or cucumber next year! Oh yeah, they are on the sunflowers too!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9237961

sweetie77
do the bugs on your tomatoes look like this ones?

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9238109

no. They are squash bugs that moved from the neighboring squash and laid eggs all on the underside of the tomatoe leaves when I pulled all the squash! I did a little research and squash bugs WILL, indead, attack some neighboring plants, including tomatoes! Instead of calling them squash bugs they should call them demon vegetable plant destroyers!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9238194

ooohhhhhhh aaahhhhhhh
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9238537

Are you asking about squash borers or squash bugs? The title says bugs but the first post says borers?
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9248180

Since my squash has always been host to the 'squash borers' I decided to try a little experiment.

I cut a large diameter straw into 2-3in sections - then I slit the section up on one side. I planted my seeds at the bottom on the 2in section... in the dirt mound. The straw They sprouted and grew up through the straw. The straw sort of protected the base stalk. For my transplants I just opened up the the slit straw and slid it around the base. As the squash vine grew the straw just expanded to handle the increasing diameter.

Well -- it really worked. I didn't have any squash borer issue -- that I could detect anyways. My neighbor told me that someone SHE knows does the same thing with some sort of pantyhose..??.. I can't quite picture what she described though... unless it was panty hose from a doll..??..

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9248654

great job jannz2 !
My question is on what do you do when the SVB attack the other stems ?
SVB does lay eggs everywhere. If you have a large squash plant, the eggs will be on every stems ...
Should you put straws/panty hoses in all the stems?

jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9250867

When I've had issues with the squash borers it's always been at the base stem... just where it comes out of the soil.
It would look like a termite had been there with all the 'residue' that was left.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9250932

ok,
I had multiple attacks on my squash plants. Close to the soil, on the last stem ... almost every where ... sight
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9251150

I had squash BUGS, but maybe borers to? I pulled a large grub looking wormy thing out of the stem of one of my plants. Was that a squash borer?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9251802

Yup, where the larva grow. Sevin won't help, some folx pretreat but this year was just an over buggy year. For those squash bugs in the picture? Those are leaffooted bugs, and you can plant sunflowers which attract them and it is easier to keep the leaffooted bugs off your other plants. The borers are definitely harder to kill and I'm not sure there are any success stories out there
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9252044

YUKKY BUGS!!!! LOL! Just so happens I DID plant sunflowers there too this year! Maybe that's why I only got 2 of the 3 dreaded squash destroyers! I'm telling you after this summer I'm ready to pull everything and till sevin into my gardens and hope for a better garden next year! I don't know much about the borers, I'll have to do some research!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9252198

A lot of folx do a pretreat of the ground before planting, Bayer is a pretty good one, Sevin never was effective after 2 weeks, but I don't remember if it is spiniest or a pyrethrum you need to look for

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America