AuthorContent
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
2:51 AM

Post #9232614

Hello folks, i stumbled across DG while looking up plants. :). Just had to stay. As i am more of a plant person my empathy lies more in that direction then society at large. So some of you may find me to be more of a cactus then a cuddly fern.
My area is a Arid Zone but due to the close proximity of the Himalayas, you have temperate arid, temperate forest, etc all close together and interacting. So there are wide fluctuations. My house garden is in zone 9b up while as a hobby i have half a acre piece (just for plants) only ten miles away in a temperate arid zone (hilly area) 8a up.
That's me in a nut shell.
Regards.
PS. Still having navigation errors, so if i don't answer promptly, means i am still lost at sea.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9232684

Welcome KAMasud, how nice to have you here! I think I already "chatted with" you in one of Al's soil posts, yes? Well, just to be sure I don't miss greeting you, ...Greetings! =)

Wow, your growing conditions sound very interesting, I would bet you can grow all sorts of wonderful things. What are some of your favourites?

If you find yourself getting lost, please read here http://davesgarden.com/aboutus/ to help you find your way. "Take The Tour" is a very helpful link to assist in guiding you around this wonderful site.

Again, welcome! And I look forward to seeing you around more. =)
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9233213

Welcome to Dave's Garden! How wonderful to have a half acre just for plants!
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9234297

Thanks speedibean, I did not know that you could take a tour. I really need to do that. Sorry, but i have been lost on the cacti and epi forums for last two days so i have not visited any other. Not just navigation it seems, the vistas and views along the way seem to do their bit to. In all this chatter there is a treasure trove of knowledge.

Plants, lets start with micro climates. Along the road the verge. its baking sun with temps touching 50c in summer so it has plants that can take the punishment. My internal garden, as it gets sun for 1/3rd of the day only so its a bit tricky. I have a area covered with water reeds roof (cooler then netting) cuts out 60% sunlight but temps still touch 44c. Then i have a top veranda garden where only cacti survive and flower like mad when thirsty. Then we come to indoors. With Monsoons failure this year, difficult times ahead.

Thanks Ky, I have a very small garden in the city so this was the best alternative. Its barren, was stuck in civil works and now its getting a bit late for planting due to frost in winter, Frost hardy i can start with but the basic building block that i wanted to put up, a upper canopy of palms will have to wait until Feb now.
Regards.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2012
2:43 AM

Post #9235210

You are so right, this whole site is a treasure trove of information, and it is very easy to get "lost" in here for hours on end. And you're right, amongst all the chatting (as we are a friendly bunch and like to enjoy each others company) there are tons of golden nuggets to be found. =)

If you should need any help finding your way around, and the tour doesn't quite explain what you're looking for, please send me a D-mail and I'll be glad to help you. Just click on my name in any post I've done, and you'll see the option to "send D-mail" down the left side of the page. I'll help you in any way that I can.

CHEERS, and Happy Gardening! =)
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9249491

Thanks speediebean, much obliged and may take you up on the offer.:)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9251336

I will happily assist you in any way I can. =)
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9286421

I join in to give you a welcome from me in Cactus Land. LOL. Any help I can be let me know. Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
2:45 AM

Post #9288573

Thank you very much Jo. I like the cactus land bit. I am also from Cactus Land but am able to grow some other things besides cactus. :)
Regards.

Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud
Click an image for an enlarged view.

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9289045

Those are gorgeous blooms! I love cacti in bloom.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9289069

Mine have already bloomed. Jo
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9294447

Mine will bloom from March to July. Frost has started to fall over here. At this point where i live Arid zone and Temperate zone border lies. Fifty miles from cactus land, this is what starts. :) All, wild.
Regards,
Masud.

Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud   Thumbnail by KAMasud

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9294709

Beautiful!
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9296453

Yes, the Himalayas are beautiful and should be visited. I am quite sure both the Dahlia and the Hibiscus had human help to take off. Hibiscus must be a Victorian era variety.
Regards,
Masud.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Welcome Mat Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Introduction pearl 12 Jun 14, 2007 3:08 PM
Louisiana crawdad360 26 May 21, 2009 4:35 PM
Hi Everyone.... From the Chesapeake Bay Area Chesapeake 11 Jun 15, 2008 4:12 PM
Greetings from NE Kansas! azurebloom 11 Sep 29, 2008 1:04 AM
Hello from the Caribbean knotimpaired 14 Sep 3, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America