CLOSED: Anyone know what this is on my butterfly weed.

Arlington, VA(Zone 7a)

I found this bug on my butterfly weed last year just as I was bringing it in for the winter so I cut it back almost to the ground. It came back beautifully and has been doing well all summer. I have been gone for 2 weeks and left the garden in my husband's hands. When I looked at the butterfly weed it was covered with the same bugs as last year but much earlier in the year. Anyone know what this is? Sorry my camera doesn't take great closeups.
If it's not a bad bug I'll just leave there since it matches the flowers so nicely. lol.
Thank you.

Thumbnail by Sipa Thumbnail by Sipa Thumbnail by Sipa Thumbnail by Sipa
(Zone 7a)

A nasty case of Aphids. A strong shot of water will wash them off. Don't miss the ones under the leaves.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

yes, it will wash them off but i've found that milkweed and aphids go hand in hand. you can't grow one without the other and though you wash them off, they'll be covered again in a day or two. they don't seem to hurt this particular plant at all.....

(Zone 7a)

That's sort of why I didn't suggest anything to kill them. ^_^

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

^_^ back at ya!

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

And, the aphids provide food for ladybug beetles and green lacewing larvae....both beneficial bugs in the garden.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

excellent point!

as a side note, my Adenium (Desert Rose) gets aphids several times a year and i have sprayed with castile soap and water in the past but this last time, i just let them be. a few days later i wanted to check on them again and they were totally gone. some little bodies had a good meal!

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Another side note....Asclepias in the garden seems to draw the aphids away from other plants....a bonus...grin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.