Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Help with this catapillar.

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jsunwithrow
Riverside, MD

August 7, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9233440

Hi to all. I am new to these forums. In the last 3 years I finally upgraded from renting to owning my own home and now can plant fun stuff. I have a pumpkin plant growing and found a very interesting catapillar destroying A LOT of it! I am almost certain it is a "White Marked Tussok Moth Catapillar". However, the other day I came out and found what appears to be a "Mini" version of said catapillar. The next day it was gone. Wondering if any one can:
1. Verify it is a white marked tussok catapillar
2. Explain what the "mini" thing is.

I am in Maryland. Just outside of the city of Baltimore. This photo was taken on 8/5/12. Thanks to all in advance!

Jason

Thumbnail by jsunwithrow
Click the image for an enlarged view.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9233547

Pretty sure its Dasychira basiflava, the yellow-based tussock moth, which I have photographed in Frederick County, MD, just 40 or 50 miles west of you.
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

August 7, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9233622

Definitely appears to be a white-marked tussock moth caterpillar - http://www.richard-seaman.com/Arthropods/Usa/Caterpillars/NorthernIllinois/WhiteMarkedTussockMothCaterpillar.jpg

The 'mini' is a shed skin from a previous instar of this caterpillar.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9233643

Oops! Looked at one of my photos, copied title of one next to it. Agree white-marked tussock moth caterpillar.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jsunwithrow
Riverside, MD

August 10, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9236734

thank you all for your help!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America