Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Help with this catapillar.

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jsunwithrow
Riverside, MD

August 7, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9233440

Hi to all. I am new to these forums. In the last 3 years I finally upgraded from renting to owning my own home and now can plant fun stuff. I have a pumpkin plant growing and found a very interesting catapillar destroying A LOT of it! I am almost certain it is a "White Marked Tussok Moth Catapillar". However, the other day I came out and found what appears to be a "Mini" version of said catapillar. The next day it was gone. Wondering if any one can:
1. Verify it is a white marked tussok catapillar
2. Explain what the "mini" thing is.

I am in Maryland. Just outside of the city of Baltimore. This photo was taken on 8/5/12. Thanks to all in advance!

Jason

Thumbnail by jsunwithrow
Click the image for an enlarged view.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9233547

Pretty sure its Dasychira basiflava, the yellow-based tussock moth, which I have photographed in Frederick County, MD, just 40 or 50 miles west of you.
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

August 7, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9233622

Definitely appears to be a white-marked tussock moth caterpillar - http://www.richard-seaman.com/Arthropods/Usa/Caterpillars/NorthernIllinois/WhiteMarkedTussockMothCaterpillar.jpg

The 'mini' is a shed skin from a previous instar of this caterpillar.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9233643

Oops! Looked at one of my photos, copied title of one next to it. Agree white-marked tussock moth caterpillar.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jsunwithrow
Riverside, MD

August 10, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9236734

thank you all for your help!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America