Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Bloom of the Day Photos: August 8th, 2012: Brazilian Plume Flower 'Huntington' (Justicia carnea) by Gitag

Communities > Forums > Bloom of the Day Photos
bookmark
Forum: Bloom of the Day PhotosReplies: 5, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2012
12:03 AM

Post #9233815

The Bloom of the Day for August 8th, 2012 was Brazilian Plume Flower 'Huntington' (Justicia carnea).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2012-08-08

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9234119

WOW!!!
I am honored! Thank you for letting me know... Gita

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9235009

It's a beauty, Gita. Nice photo too

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9235513

That is so beautiful, I want that in my garden. I just love the bright pink. I see it grows in my zone too.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9235535

sunkissed---

I cut mine back pretty severely last fall and rooted about 10 of the cuttings to share at our May Plant Swap at Holly's.
It was nice hearing back from all those that got a cutting that theirs was blooming as well.
It regrew pretty well--but i will not cut it back this year. I want it to be bushier...
I love the look and texture of the leaves on this plant! That slightly "puckered" look...

Here in Baltimore, I have to bring it in for the winter and treat it as a houseplant. Give it good light indoors.

The stems on this plant are woody and very thin to start with. Then--as it approaches bloom time, the stems
get sturdier--like a pencil. Pinch the spent blooms off and new ones will form.

The stems will break easily. I learned this 2 years ago when a hard wind blew over
my big pot and EVERY branch broke off at the base of the plant. Thought it was a gonner!
I threw them all away (didn't know they would root...;o() and, the plant re-grew nicely. It was an "AHA!" moment...
That is why last year I took all the cuttings and just stuck them in the same pot around the big plant.
By next year--they all had rooted!!!

The Brazilian Plume likes a somewhat shaded spot. I only learned that last year.
Before that--I had always kept it in a, sort of, dappled off and on sunlight.

If you can find someone that grows this , ask for a cutting. It will bloom in less than 2 years for you.

Gita

Here are all the cuttings i stuck around the edge of the pot when I cut them off last fall.
This picture is from Feb. 2012.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9238854

Gita, thanks for the information. I'll ask my local small nursery owner, he usually knows someone that knows someone. :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bloom of the Day Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
March 5th, 2007: Silk Tree (Albizia julibrissin) by cacti_lover dave 8 Aug 4, 2014 7:16 AM
March 1st, 2007: Bleeding Heart (Dicentra spectabilis) by dave dave 0 Mar 5, 2007 1:44 PM
March 2nd, 2007: Gerbera Daisy (Gerbera jamesonii) by kniphofia dave 1 Mar 6, 2007 3:21 AM
March 3rd, 2007: Corkscrew Vine (Vigna caracalla) by dave dave 4 Mar 13, 2007 5:53 PM
March 4th, 2007: Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) by Gabrielle dave 0 Mar 5, 2007 1:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America