August 8th, 2012: Brazilian Plume Flower 'Huntington' (Justicia carnea) by Gitag

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

The Bloom of the Day for August 8th, 2012 was Brazilian Plume Flower 'Huntington' (Justicia carnea).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2012-08-08

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

WOW!!!
I am honored! Thank you for letting me know......... Gita

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

It's a beauty, Gita. Nice photo too

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

That is so beautiful, I want that in my garden. I just love the bright pink. I see it grows in my zone too.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

sunkissed---

I cut mine back pretty severely last fall and rooted about 10 of the cuttings to share at our May Plant Swap at Holly's.
It was nice hearing back from all those that got a cutting that theirs was blooming as well.
It regrew pretty well--but i will not cut it back this year. I want it to be bushier...
I love the look and texture of the leaves on this plant! That slightly "puckered" look...

Here in Baltimore, I have to bring it in for the winter and treat it as a houseplant. Give it good light indoors.

The stems on this plant are woody and very thin to start with. Then--as it approaches bloom time, the stems
get sturdier--like a pencil. Pinch the spent blooms off and new ones will form.

The stems will break easily. I learned this 2 years ago when a hard wind blew over
my big pot and EVERY branch broke off at the base of the plant. Thought it was a gonner!
I threw them all away (didn't know they would root...;o() and, the plant re-grew nicely. It was an "AHA!" moment...
That is why last year I took all the cuttings and just stuck them in the same pot around the big plant.
By next year--they all had rooted!!!

The Brazilian Plume likes a somewhat shaded spot. I only learned that last year.
Before that--I had always kept it in a, sort of, dappled off and on sunlight.

If you can find someone that grows this , ask for a cutting. It will bloom in less than 2 years for you.

Gita

Here are all the cuttings i stuck around the edge of the pot when I cut them off last fall.
This picture is from Feb. 2012.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Gita, thanks for the information. I'll ask my local small nursery owner, he usually knows someone that knows someone. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images