Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cacti and Succulents: Cactus Companion Plants

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 21, Views: 151
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 8, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9234254

I am curious what plants other than agave and yucca people grow in their cactus beds. I have Zinnia grandiflora, flame flower and ice plants (not doing well). What other small perennials might do well in the sandy soil and heat. I have been thinking about some of the penstemons but those are a bit large for my area. I am in zone 8.
C

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9234287

You want something small than a penstemon??? Most penstemons occupy less than a square foot.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 8, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9234335

Well oddly I have some that are quite a bit larger.

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9234354

The ones around here stay quite compact, though I've seen some rather tall flower spikes.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 8, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9234362

And even those with a small rosette have flower stalks that are taller than I want. As I said the area is small and I am really looking for some low growing and rather tiny blooming plants. I do love penstemon but have had limited success with them.
C

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9234399

How about Angelita Daisy (Tetraneuris acaulis)? Small, tough as nails, and flower a lot.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 8, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9234404

I actually have 2 of those that I put out this spring. They are in too much shade and I was thinking of moving them into the cactus bed. Do they take the sandy soil well? I have lots of four nerve daisy but I am not sure how they would do (scaposa). I also grew a few desert marigolds from seed and those might work also.
C

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9234418

I have one in the middle of my yard, in whatever it is that passes for "soil" here in the desert, and it's in full blistering sun, with no ill effects. Oh, and it gets no more water than my cacti and Agaves. Lesser plants might have spontaneously combusted long ago. Rabbits occasional come by and eat a few flowers, but they leave the greenery be.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 8, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9234430

Sounds like mime will be moving when the weather cools.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9234447

You could plant Dogweed (also called Golden Fleece). Check it out at: http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Asteraceae/Dyssodia_pentachaeta.html
It is a tough little plant and is a native of TX.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 8, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9234452

LOL I have that growing in every crack and crevice. My only complaint is that it blooms itself out pretty early in the season and dies back. Mine are not perennial but they reseed like crazy.
C
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9250075

we have lot of wildflowers that are small and do well but most of them bloom only in spring. Are you looking for spring blooming or summer blooming?
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 23, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9251298

Rue, and it's listed as growing in your zone. I love the plant itself - it's soft gray-green foliage color with delicate leaves, plus its yellow flowers in spring/summer - provides nice, easy care spots of color. The foliage color is very attractive next to cactus and succulents.

It has a long history of herbal use in Europe, and in Mexico according to several people I know it grows wild there and has long been used in herbal medicine.

Here's the link to the DG Plantfiles: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/312/
And a link to Wikipedia which shows a better picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rue

Mine get 3-4 feet tall and wide, and although I trim them back because of lack of room I think they'd look nicer if planted with enough spacing and not pruned. They are quite drought tolerant once established, and although they do throw off some seeds, I only get about a dozen plants each year which I pull up or plant and give away. I got mine my 4" pots at a local nursery in the herb department, although I've seen them at a few other nurseries with other plants. (In fact a have a few to pull up now and if you like them I could pot them up and then send them to you once it cools off.)

I haven't had the skin problems from Rue mentioned in DG comments and Wikipedia, although I have had them. It's called phytophotodermatitis - and as someone mentioned in the DG comments it's the combination of touching the plants while out in the sun that can cause the problem. Mine was either celery or salvia, wasn't able to figure out which.

Got a little carried away here, but I do love this plant.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2012 11:35 AM
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 23, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9251312

And a second plant that provides color almost year round and the hummers love is Cuphea cigar plant or bush. Here's the DG link: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/164138

There are so many Cuphea hybrids now and they vary in size, leaf, and flower structure that you have to see the flowers or a label to know which you're getting. I love them and currently have five types, although this is the only one mixed in with my cactus and succulents. My orange Cuphea cigar plant usually gets about 3' x 3' and I prune it yearly so it's not so leggy and to encourage more flowers, but it can be left alone. It's also drought tolerant once established and very easy care.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9252440

I have a couple of TX wildflowers you could try. Amoreuxia Wrightii (Mexican yellowshow) and Nyctaginia capitata (Scarlet musk flower) are some seeds I recently got from the Pacific Bulb Society. They sound good for a cactus garden. You can check them out in PlantFiles.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9252542

Blackfoot daisies (Melampodium leucanthum) are nice too and are sold at various nurseries.
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9252567

yellow variety of rain lilies are very tiny plants.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49077/
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 24, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9252752

lovetropics I love that little rain liliy! Hope I can find some bulbs.

I forgot that I also have some yarrow in with my C & S. They do need a bit more attention to keep them looking good but the lacy foliage is a nice contrast and they come in multiple sizes and flower colors.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 25, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9253400

Hola Newtonsthirdlaw (what is that by the way?) investigate Salvia Chamaedryoides. It sounds to me like it would fit the bill. It does spread (easy to maintain) and may grow a little higher than you wish but the blue flowers are exquisite and the grey green foliage goes with anything. Xuling
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 25, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9253477

Thats a pretty plant Xuling but I think it needs a bit more water than cactus. I might try some elsewhere since it blooms for so long. I really need very small plants and those that are truely cactus like in their watering needs.
C
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 25, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9253540

Pelargoniums! I have many many kinds and they're great.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 25, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9253653

I hardly ever water the S. chamaedryoides. I water the cactus more. Of course the S c is now mature and I probably watered it more when it was first planted. Xuling

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America