Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Really tiny flying insects in bathroom

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
severedsea

August 8, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9234336

I noticed that there are really really tiny brown/black translucent flying/hopping insects in my bathroom. They don't usually fly around, they just sort of chill on the walls/tiles/floor and flies (or kinda do short distance hops) when you try to distract them. I don't think they're harmful, its just that they're annoying because they're growing in numbers. I spent a week already just to google and identify what they are and the results keep pointing me to "drain flies". But they don't look like drain flies. It seems drain flies are bigger in size as compared to them. This is the reason why the picture I took is kind of blurry. They're really really tiny and if anyone could please help me identify what they are so that I can find a home remedy to get rid of them.

Thumbnail by severedsea
Click the image for an enlarged view.

severedsea

August 8, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9234353

BTW, a lot of them usually come out at night. And they just chill on the toilet seat, basically all around the toilet. :|

Thanks! Please help me identify.
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

August 8, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9234356

Moth flies, aka drain flies - harmless nuisance pests.
severedsea

August 8, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9234364

Thanks Flapdoodle! But, the images of drain flies in the internet seem bigger and more visible. These guys are really, really tiny. Like a speck of dirt. Are there several species of moth/drain flies? Because, I think what I see in our office's restroom looks more like drain flies and they're way bigger than the ones in my bathroom. These pests in my bathroom are even smaller than a grain of rice. Or maybe half a grain of rice. Thanks for the help, man!
severedsea

August 8, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9234372

Here is a clearer image of the insect I'm talking about. They cooperated very well and posed for the camera. Thanks in advance, guys!

Thumbnail by severedsea   Thumbnail by severedsea
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

August 8, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9234911

They certainly look like tiny moth flies - I have seen some extremely small species myself, but never indoors.
severedsea

August 8, 2012
11:43 PM

Post #9235179

Thanks! :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America